Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
cremnob mode engage

https://twitter.com/mims/status/960501106043473920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whats included with that "other"? they can't possibly be selling that much osx software

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apples services are top tier and have been around (and honed) for ages now. their model is easy, refined and extremely consumer-friendly.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

whats included with that "other"? they can't possibly be selling that much osx software
what software does apple sell? besides osx server, some management tools (like their remote desktop), and their pro creation suite (final cut, logic, motion, etc)?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Software & other includes applecare sales last time I checked, and when I did check the margin on those applecare packages was 92%. So yeah that's a lot of loving money from unnecessary applecare.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FMguru posted:

what software does apple sell? besides osx server, some management tools (like their remote desktop), and their pro creation suite (final cut, logic, motion, etc)?

Services would include things like cloud, music, etc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the article itself expands the asterisk to
*Includes iCloud subscription fees, professional software sales and other income, including Google's payment to be the default iPhone search engine.
Note: Apple’s fiscal year ends Sept. 30.
Sources: the company (total revenue); analyst Horace Dediu (Apple services revenue)

unless we're just guessin' to be funny idk whats going on here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JawnV6 posted:

Google's payment to be the default iPhone search engine.
ah, theres where the money comes from

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Xaris posted:

I was using iOS 10 on my 6S but upgraded a couple days ago to 11, is it just because I have an older phone but this thing seems like a giant piece of poo poo???

the autocorrect feels worse and autocorrecting way too soon and wrong words, touch typing seems worse in general. everything has giant big font INBOX everywhere. also my Mail keeps being stuck showing Sending 1 of 1 which it didn’t do before and there’s nothing being sent

also keeps bugging me about Apple Pay and iCloud poo poo which I keep telling to turn off, also tried to turn on that two factor thing that it wa bugging me about and keeps saying failed when I filled it out lmao

gently caress this is really bad

autocorrect is loving terrible now

Elder Postsman posted:

i was typing a thing on my iphone and it kept trying to autocorrect "narrow" to something else. not a good user experience, tim.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

DuckConference posted:

according to an outraged reddit post, the iPhone X's screen PWMs at 240Hz

what is PWM

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the pwnage

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Amethyst posted:

what is PWM

pulse width modulation?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

I don't remember that but I do remember everyone saying the 8 was gonna cannibalize the x.

no you don’t, you just say the opposite of whatever others say because you think disagreeing makes you look smart

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

which app is App? that is a lotta money for a one app

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Lysidas posted:

which app is App? that is a lotta money for a one app

i heard whatsapp cost like $19 billion so maybe that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

autocorrect is loving terrible now

yeah what the gently caress? i wish ther was a button that ws like "do NOT correct correctly spelled words"

because its insane that it changes correctly spelled words, and not only that, but often once you have just finishd the next word

give me red underlines and lots of ways to later on correct poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Spaceman posted:

i heard whatsapp cost like $19 billion so maybe that?

those fuckers could quietly slip me a cool million, wouldnt make a diference to anything whatsiever from their end but wouldk transform my life

those fuckers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Amethyst posted:

what is PWM

pulse width modulation

width can also mean girth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what Hz should PWM be at

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

what Hz should PWM be at

ideally, off

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i found an article that explains the PWM problem http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/what-is-pwm-why-is-it-important-and-why-did-we-add-this-test-to-our-reviews/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

delet this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ok, jokes aside, here's a real monitor website with more info about pwm than you would ever like to -
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

thanks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
pwmed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao yeah leave it to the music industry to finally find a way to actually make money off of music and then totally gently caress it up by creating their own bespoke streaming platform that nobody will ever use

movie companies have already started doing this. for years people said that give us a convinient way to watch movies and pay for it and we'll stop using bittorrent. then netflix happened. then movie companies are like "wait, why are we letting netflix have all this money when we could make our own streaming service", not they're all making their own also-ran services and expect people to subscribe to all of them apparently, at :10bux: per month for each.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

movie companies have already started doing this. for years people said that give us a convinient way to watch movies and pay for it and we'll stop using bittorrent. then netflix happened. then movie companies are like "wait, why are we letting netflix have all this money when we could make our own streaming service", not they're all making their own also-ran services and expect people to subscribe to all of them apparently, at :10bux: per month for each.

i wonder if they think having four-five different streaming services be more convenient than just torrenting all content.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

those fuckers could quietly slip me a cool million, wouldnt make a diference to anything whatsiever from their end but wouldk transform my life

those fuckers

ok, kanye

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it would be pretty interesting if apple, reaching for ways to invest some of the cash they have just become able to bring back to the us, decides that what they'll do is invest in echis life. a bold gamble, but one apple certainly can afford.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pro av my man

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
people with preview versions of the homepod are starting to post their reviews (like here and here) but nothing from johnny fireball yet

lol if he got dropped from apples select invitation preview tier list

e: and nilay patels review predictably spends its first four paragraphs whining about apples walled garden

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i like nilay pretending he doesn't live a sad, lonely life with talking cylinders as his only companionship

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

people with preview versions of the homepod are starting to post their reviews (like here and here) but nothing from johnny fireball yet

lol if he got dropped from apples select invitation preview tier list

e: and nilay patels review predictably spends its first four paragraphs whining about apples walled garden

not sure why they ever took the verge off their review shitlist. gruber is not nearly as influential as he thinks he is. only hardcore Mac spergs read his stuff. that’s not the market Apple is targeting here.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

i like nilay pretending he doesn't live a sad, lonely life with talking cylinders as his only companionship

He has a wife or girlfriend or something who wrote a column making fun of him for buying a lovely TV

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

that’s not the market Apple is targeting ever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DuckConference posted:

He has a wife or girlfriend or something who wrote a column making fun of him for buying a lovely TV

alexis authored an article?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

lol, I forgot about this. he is a moron that made the literal worst consumer electronics buying decision you can make, but you should definitely listen to his opinions about products

ufarn
May 30, 2009
gruber like being fashionably late

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DuckConference posted:

according to an outraged reddit post, the iPhone X's screen PWMs at 240Hz

lmao what? even lovely 8 bit atmel microcontrollers run pwm at like 11khz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ufarn posted:

gruber like being fashionably late
alternate explanation: hes still sleeping his hangover after his hometown team won the superbowl