Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kudaros posted:

It appears to be an average. The ranges are hard to deal with because I don't have any idea of the statistical distribution. Relatively small number of jobs in that area. I think this is a case where the employer isn't entirely sure what they are looking for. I'm going to go ahead and press forward with it, but I'd like to know more.

I have not told anyone my salary. I have a "prestigious" fellowship is all they know. They could very likely guess though.

OK well average isn't all that relevant to you if it's also containing people with 5 - 10 - 15 years of work experience in a small sample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Yeah after thinking about it, this is my basic assessment. I have long experience with R and Python and do basic SQL stuff. My lack of knowledge on the business side makes me feel like this is a reasonable first step before going back out on the job market.

I kept my hat in the ring, we'll see how it goes. It does appear to be a modeling-heavy role, which is why I was confused. I'll try to negotiate upward a bit if I get to that point.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would say continue the process as it's experience interviewing at least and sounds like perhaps a good 1st step for your path.

If you get the job, work it for a year to two and find something better if it's not working out.

I bet you get something like double that 60 to 70 fairly easily once you can get past that first applied / real-world hump.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah I'm thinking that too. I hope to be able to move between industry and academia with some measure of fluidity and this is probably my best bet forward. That the hiring personnel has been so responsive feels like a good thing. The other likely outcome is that I'm unemployed early next year and we live off my wife's salary, which is doable, and she won't hate me for it or anything, but it also makes debt payment practically impossible at any reasonable rate.

When I expand my search to larger cities, the world is apparently my oyster -- that'll be more true with this job under my belt. Plus right now the cost of living and quality of life difference is such that a pretty severe increase in pay would be needed to offset that.

Still might try to negotiate a modest increase when we get to that point. I'll take that to the negotiation thread though. The simple prospect of moving into a good job market makes me giddy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Cool cool. Yeah the odds are in your favor for sure.

Remember too though if this doesn't work out, job hunts are like sampling some random variable. You may have a 75% 51% or whatever advantage but one go you might still lose. Gotta keep the pipeline full and keep trying until the odds payoff.

Or maybe I'm just scarred from graduating in the recession lol.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Cool cool. Yeah the odds are in your favor for sure.

Remember too though if this doesn't work out, job hunts are like sampling some random variable. You may have a 75% 51% or whatever advantage but one go you might still lose. Gotta keep the pipeline full and keep trying until the odds payoff.

Or maybe I'm just scarred from graduating in the recession lol.

Yeah I got my bachelors during the recession. Had originally planned on grad school anyway, but looked at the job market and it seemed like grad school was the only choice! I'm still in this mindset "there are no jobs" on some levels.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Kudaros posted:

Yeah I got my bachelors during the recession. Had originally planned on grad school anyway, but looked at the job market and it seemed like grad school was the only choice! I'm still in this mindset "there are no jobs" on some levels.

Depending on what field you're in (and I don't think this applies to you in particular), this was true then and is true now, grad school and the recession seem to do some solid conditioning to that end.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Anyone out there have any experience with Technical Writing? Seems like largely contract work so not super stable but decent demand, at least?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Posted this in SH/SC but probably makes more sense here. Would appreciate any tips.

Hello thread, I have a question regarding future prospects in the European market, I would be very grateful for some input. I have been working for just over 2 years in IT as a help desk/IT engineer/sysadmin after finishing a dead-end physics degree. I have MCSA in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. My SO is planning to move to a country where I do not speak the local language. What would be the best direction to take myself if, in about 1-2 years, I would like to see recruiters fighting to get a piece of me regardless of what language the people outside of the office speak?

I think the options are to focus on learning either:
Linux/UNIX
Networking - get a CCNA
Give up on infrastructure and learn programming
My company would like to sell Azure solutions in the future, that's an option too
Maybe anything else is hot right now?

I think out of the above networking is the most interesting, but I have no clue how the situation is likely to change in the future. My colleagues are estimating that the need for middle-level IT infra support is going to significantly shrink in the coming decades due to companies moving to the cloud, is that likely to happen to network engineers too?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Anyone out there have any experience with Technical Writing? Seems like largely contract work so not super stable but decent demand, at least?

I've done it. It's easy money if you know what you're doing. Boring though. I'm not sure on the demand, but the times I've done it were companies coming to me asking me if I could do it. I imagine it would be pretty easy to find work if I actually went looking for it.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

KillHour posted:

I've done it. It's easy money if you know what you're doing. Boring though. I'm not sure on the demand, but the times I've done it were companies coming to me asking me if I could do it. I imagine it would be pretty easy to find work if I actually went looking for it.

Do you have any degree or anything for it? I never seemed to get any consideration trying from the outside. What role were you in when you were asked? I was a bit worried about the boring part, and likely there's not much of anywhere to go with it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd like some feedback about whether I should take this position.

It's a public sector job that pays 10k less than my current position. However, it appears to have a good pension. Here's a link to the benefits:

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Support_Services/HR/Benefits/index.cfm

Current job has no matching 401k, somewhat risky long term (Green Financial company with a current landscape that has no interest in green funding...think solar panels and the like). I have 4 weeks of combined sick / vacation time, and about similar level health / dental than what the other job provides.

Is it worth taking the 10k bump for potential long term gains? At 31, it may be time to move to working towards a pension for 20-30 years, but I'm somewhat torn.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Holy crap, I've been idly looking round at what else might be out there in my field, mostly out of curiosity than any strong desire, and I have to say it's shocking how much difference switching your search city can make. On linkedinI've gone from 4 posts advertised, to over 100 just by looking at a different city. It's the same thing when I switch between 4 large cities in the same region - only one of them has the huge piles of job ads.

I mean, I knew being willing to move for work would always give more opportunities, but I didn't realise just how concentrated industries (at least, industries using linkedin) could be, even when those cities aren't far apart.

If anyone's struggling to find opportunities, open up that geography. The difference is incredible!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Here comes my First World Problem.

I'm working a dead-end job as a software dev. It pays well. It's cushy. There's job security because they think I'm a sorcerer.
I am stagnating and dying here. I'm writing the same lovely code that I used to write in 2004. I'm not certified in *anything* and I know that all my webdev and e-commerce stuff is full of holes because I hastily taught myself all that stuff using google during my internship here. I never finish any projects because they keep adding new projects to my list, and I'm the only person on those projects- there's no software engineer, no design document, there's just me, my SVN repository, and some notes from a meeting where some sales people said "it would be cool if you could make it do <thing>"

Problem is, switching jobs is, uh
I'm not certified in anything. I have a bunch of programming languages under my belt because of my CS degree, but I started college like 3 years too early for like iOS/Android dev to be a thing I could learn there. I'm good at algorithms and automating things, I'm good at picking up new techniques. I'm terrible at design, and I need an environment with more direction or goal-orientation. Or I need to buckle down and give myself a crash course in software engineering. Maybe both of those things.

So, I'm about to come into some money. It's not "retire next month" money, but it is "I could take a year or two off from work and still be able to retire at the normal time if I get income again after" money. Is it a terrible, insane idea to take a shitload of time off to learn how to be relevant as a programmer in a post-smartphones world? Even this place wants like mobile and/or cloud-based poo poo and the best I can give them is highly improvisational web apps.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Don't quit and take the time off to learn that stuff. Use your gently caress you money to start being crappy at your job and learn during those hours. If you get canned, that sucks but if you don't youve learned a new skill and collected a paycheck.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a dingus posted:

Don't quit and take the time off to learn that stuff. Use your gently caress you money to start being crappy at your job and learn during those hours. If you get canned, that sucks but if you don't youve learned a new skill and collected a paycheck.

Seconded. And if you can, try to diversify the technologies that you use in your day to day work toward what you want to be doing as much as you can.

Also don't worry about being "certified" in anything. Nowhere worth working gives a poo poo about certifications for software dev. It's all about what you can demonstrably do.

Tech interviewing sucks balls, but you might be surprised how well you do with your breadth of experience. If you can pass the initial sniff test (basic tech screen) then it tends to be a lot less lovely after that. Unfortunately it may take a couple of tries to have a good interview that clicks since a lot of places are bad at quantifying what they are actually looking for, and even worse at interviewing for it, plus there's just some random chance and luck involved. Don't beat yourself up if you feel like you totally flunked an interview.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 1, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012
No one gives a poo poo about certs. If you're good at algorithms then you should be able to get into a decent company as a senior swe if you spend a month studying design questions after work.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014
Hey! I am a mechatronics apprentice at a big automotive group and as I am one of the best this year, I was offered an additional training as a application programmer.

For the rest of and after my apprenticeship I would get a job where I have to program test benches and production lines. This sounds pretty good but I won't be considered for other jobs right after the apprenticeship (our instructors will look for departments where our abilities fit the most and I would work there for the rest of my apprenticeship and get the experience I need).

Which means I won't get a job where I have to fix machines, I won't get a job where I am in charge of a production line, I won't build switch cabinets etc. etc.

As I don't plan to study IT, I don't know if I will be good enough or if they might replace me with some random student at some point (which probably will not happen when I decline and work in the production halls).

I hope my english and my concern is understandable and I am looking forward to your input.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DoBoMi posted:

I hope my english and my concern is understandable and I am looking forward to your input.

Your English is great but I’m not sure what your question is. Are you wondering if taking the additional training as an application engineer is useful when you are unlikely to use that knowledge inthe (near) future?

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

LochNessMonster posted:

Your English is great but I’m not sure what your question is. Are you wondering if taking the additional training as an application engineer is useful when you are unlikely to use that knowledge inthe (near) future?

Thank you for your reply!
To break it down to one simple question: Is the additional application engineer training my best bet?

I will definitely get a job where I have to use that knowledge. The company trains me because they need one.

The problem is, that the company will put us in destination department for the rest of our apprenticeship and after it, we will work in that department. So if I decide to take the training, there is no way back. I won't get considered for other "skilled worker jobs".
I am not sure if this is a better/safer job than what would await me if I just finish my apprenticeship regulary.

I can't judge how good such a job is, or if it is considered as a dead end. I can become a Shift Supervisor, a Service Team member or do assembly work in other countries after my apprenticeship, or I could get an application engineer and write the programms for production lines/test benches/etc.

Edit: I mean nowadays everyone studies IT but no one wants to work a "dirty" production job... I somehow fear that this chance looks better than it is. From a job safety perspective

DoBoMi fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 3, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Always be learning. Try to make yourself future-proof.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

Moneyball posted:

Always be learning. Try to make yourself future-proof.

I am totally with you!
If this decision wasn't limiting me to one specific job after the apprenticeship, I wouldn't hestitate to take the chance!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nothing will limit you to just one job. If the training is over and above what you would otherwise learn, you could always go back (just leave it off your CV if you're worried about looking over qualified). People change careers all the time. The question is if the job and skills you're describing is interesting to you or not. Nothing is a dead end and the skills you use somewhere are ALWAYS applicable somewhere else, even if it's just to show you can pick up new skills in general. Especially when computers are concerned - everything everyone in IT knows is obsolete every 5-10 years. Employers care if you know enough to get started and can learn the rest on the job. This becomes more and more true the further you get in your career. The only people that have to go in knowing everything are consultants and that's why they cost so much.

- Someone in the IT industry with 3 TOTALLY different positions in the last decade.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
How's the Keep Your Head Up program going?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Nothing will limit you to just one job. If the training is over and above what you would otherwise learn, you could always go back (just leave it off your CV if you're worried about looking over qualified). People change careers all the time. The question is if the job and skills you're describing is interesting to you or not. Nothing is a dead end and the skills you use somewhere are ALWAYS applicable somewhere else, even if it's just to show you can pick up new skills in general. Especially when computers are concerned - everything everyone in IT knows is obsolete every 5-10 years. Employers care if you know enough to get started and can learn the rest on the job. This becomes more and more true the further you get in your career. The only people that have to go in knowing everything are consultants and that's why they cost so much.

- Someone in the IT industry with 3 TOTALLY different positions in the last decade.

Since the dude is a non-English speaker in my industry I can tell you that other countries are a lot less favorable to job switching and career switching especially if you're coming from line and line-related work. There's still a very strict formation/apprentice/master structure and it can be hard to change out of your little vertical. I still think it's a good idea to take the job as it's a lot more portable than the other options.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Since the dude is a non-English speaker in my industry I can tell you that other countries are a lot less favorable to job switching and career switching especially if you're coming from line and line-related work. There's still a very strict formation/apprentice/master structure and it can be hard to change out of your little vertical. I still think it's a good idea to take the job as it's a lot more portable than the other options.

I am from Germany, so what you say is very true, we dont like switching our jobs too many times and personaler will see it as a flaw ("Why can't you keep one job?")
But non the less: I am still a apprentice, so it isn't really "switching" a job, it is more like choosing my specialization for the first time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DoBoMi posted:

I am from Germany, so what you say is very true, we dont like switching our jobs too many times and personaler will see it as a flaw ("Why can't you keep one job?")
But non the less: I am still a apprentice, so it isn't really "switching" a job, it is more like choosing my specialization for the first time.

I figured. Can you describe what you are working in for your apprenticeship a bit more, and the content of your potential specializations? I think based on some of the vocabulary that I know where you are working, and may have some insight in to that organization. If it's more comfortable to take to PMs that is fine with me.

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016
I've got a huge decision to make and this may or may not be the thread to ask the question but gently caress it I'm going to do it anyway.

I live in a small town in Tennessee. I've been offered a job in a big city that is about an hour and half from where I currently live. Housing there is a bit more expensive but not much. Cost of living is the same. See below for what I've got.

Current position: Roughly 72k/year, 7200/yr allowances, +incentive based on performance (unknown on the calculation of incentive), rarely get raise.
Possible position: Roughly 85k/year, no allowance, +incentive of avg of 12% salary/year (Steady, known calculation, 10k signing bonus, 5k relocation, avg of 2% raise per year. This job should be quite a bit less stressful.

Both have pretty much the same insurance, 401k, etc.

I'm prolly missing some pertinent information.

Any advice from those who've made a move?

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I figured. Can you describe what you are working in for your apprenticeship a bit more, and the content of your potential specializations? I think based on some of the vocabulary that I know where you are working, and may have some insight in to that organization. If it's more comfortable to take to PMs that is fine with me.

Unfortunately I can't send PM, but I talked to a lot of people in the meantime and it seems like that's the additional training is a good opportunity as the tasks seem pretty diverse, the department and my boss are nice and some extra IT knowledge will always be nice to have.

About the other possibilities: We don't know exactly what the other jobs will be, it depends a lot on how good we will do, but the favorites are: Maintenance and building machines for other companies.

But it seems like the training will also be structured in a way, that we will work hand in hand with the maintenance teams (which primarily care about mechanics/electronics) and the machine construction teams, so my fear of missing out is probably unfounded.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Re: rendezvouspoo

Seems like a no-brainer to take the new offer, plus you’re still close enough to come back if family/homesickness or something else is a concern. This is from someone who could move every few years without issue, but I don’t see any real drawbacks (if that’s what you’re asking).

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016

Seems like a no-brainer to take the new offer, plus you’re still close enough to come back if family/homesickness or something else is a concern. This is from someone who could move every few years without issue, but I don’t see any real drawbacks (if that’s what you’re asking).

The relocation doesn't bother us at all. The main concern is the initial financial impact between me moving there and renting while the wife and kids stay back until the end of school year.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

rendevouspoo posted:

The relocation doesn't bother us at all. The main concern is the initial financial impact between me moving there and renting while the wife and kids stay back until the end of school year.

Sorry if I missed that in your original post.

Your biggest help here will be to sit down and budget your expenses and get everything lined out (and then stick to it). Make sure you can cover both, with that sort of money it should be easily workable (even the signing bonus will cover rent for a while). Plan to be making weekend trips home, I cook at home and take good with me and live pretty simply while working, it’s tougher on wife at home alone with kids but it’s manageable.

rendevouspoo
Jan 23, 2016

Sorry if I missed that in your original post.

Your biggest help here will be to sit down and budget your expenses and get everything lined out (and then stick to it). Make sure you can cover both, with that sort of money it should be easily workable (even the signing bonus will cover rent for a while). Plan to be making weekend trips home, I cook at home and take good with me and live pretty simply while working, it’s tougher on wife at home alone with kids but it’s manageable.

I didn't put that in the original post.. It wouldn't be long as they get out for summer at the end of May.

rendevouspoo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 6, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DoBoMi posted:

Unfortunately I can't send PM, but I talked to a lot of people in the meantime and it seems like that's the additional training is a good opportunity as the tasks seem pretty diverse, the department and my boss are nice and some extra IT knowledge will always be nice to have.

About the other possibilities: We don't know exactly what the other jobs will be, it depends a lot on how good we will do, but the favorites are: Maintenance and building machines for other companies.

But it seems like the training will also be structured in a way, that we will work hand in hand with the maintenance teams (which primarily care about mechanics/electronics) and the machine construction teams, so my fear of missing out is probably unfounded.

Stay the gently caress away from the maintenance side of things as your primary area. I think the area you're targeting is the most future-proof of the three. Good luck!

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Stay the gently caress away from the maintenance side of things as your primary area. I think the area you're targeting is the most future-proof of the three. Good luck!

Thanks for your input!
Can you tell me why? Because a close friend of mine aims for this direction.
I heard that this might be a dead end, because you are trained to maintain one or two production lines and the better you are, the less likely is a promotion because your boss doesn't want to let you go anymore, is this true?

I'm tempted to get the platinum upgrade, just to hear what you think that my company is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I guess that's from an American perspective yeah. I can't imagine doing the exact same job for more than a few years but I guess IT is... special like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DoBoMi posted:

Thanks for your input!
I heard that this might be a dead end, because you are trained to maintain one or two production lines and the better you are, the less likely is a promotion because your boss doesn't want to let you go anymore, is this true?

I'm tempted to get the platinum upgrade, just to hear what you think that my company is

Ha, don't bother - I'm not so sure now.

That is a risk for maintenance workers. You also run the opposite risk that if you are not keeping up with current plant and equipment that your skills become obsolete and you are made redundant more easily. You may be working primarily in a facility or set of facilities using technology X, but if that plant is replaced by a new facility using technology Z, you may not be retrained, or you may be forced to move a great distance with your family. This is especially relevant in highly specialized automated manufacturing environments like automotive. There are a billion elevators installed in the world, but only a few dozen ABB CAS windshield systems in the world.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DoBoMi posted:

Thanks for your input!

I thought you’re working for BMW, Mercedes or VAG, but I guess the automotive industry is a lot more than just the car manufacturers.

As KillHour mentioned IT is special and relatively ease to switch careers in (as well as not frowned upon) I can imagine that might be different in a field that has fewer options.

From what you’re saying is that you’re afraid to lock yourself into 1 type of job with little chance of promotion. That’s good thinking, but try to look at it from the other side. Is being an application engineer a skill that transfers well to outside of the automotive sector? If that’s the case it might actually enlarge your options a whole lot!

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

LochNessMonster posted:

I thought you’re working for BMW, Mercedes or VAG, but I guess the automotive industry is a lot more than just the car manufacturers.

As KillHour mentioned IT is special and relatively ease to switch careers in (as well as not frowned upon) I can imagine that might be different in a field that has fewer options.

From what you’re saying is that you’re afraid to lock yourself into 1 type of job with little chance of promotion. That’s good thinking, but try to look at it from the other side. Is being an application engineer a skill that transfers well to outside of the automotive sector? If that’s the case it might actually enlarge your options a whole lot!

I guess you are right: robots, controls etc. that need to be programmed are in almost every company. Plus it seems like my generation isn't as used to IT as I thought, most of them only are able to play on their smartphone and don't even know basic office stuff. And I talked to some IT Students too - they have no idea how to program machine-oriented. So my fear that every IT Student will be better than me is unfounded.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think there's an important distinction here. There are two kinds of "programmers." The first kind that you're looking at is using specialized tools to implement existing functionality. The systems are already defined, you're putting in the parameters they need to work. This can be programming a robot or an alarm panel or a VCR. The skills don't automatically translate between industries. The second kind is using general purpose tools to create software with new functionality. This is what computer science students learn to do and is much more theoretical. There's domain specific knowledge to an industry, of course, but it's relatively easy to switch to a different industry.