Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Tip: NASA's Terra satellite is sun synchronous so if you upload unity to it, you have achieved perpetual game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

What it lacks in style it makes up for by actually existing. I bid $800 USD.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Beet Wagon posted:

Guy nailed the nested physics grids, or whatever bullshit it is Chris Roberts says lets you clip through the side of your space truck.

It's gravity - graviton or whatever is pumped through the ship in a series of tubes:

Croberts posted:

LOCALIZED ARTIFICIAL GRAVITY (LAG)

1. PARTICLE GENERATOR – As featured in the FPS demo, the heart of any LAG system will be the core generator. This device converts energy from a power plant into gravitons(?). These particles don’t create gravity on their own, but instead are the fuel that allow the gravplates to do so. The size of the area that needs artificial gravity dictates the size and/or number of generators. A station could have a single large generator like Gold Horizon has, or could have multiple redundant generators.

2. PIPING – The gravitational elements created by the generator are transported throughout the ship / station by a piping system. If the piping gets destroyed or cut off, the areas it is sending gravitons to would lose LAG. Also, if the generator stops producing gravitons, gravity wouldn’t necessarily shut off immediately. Instead, LAG would continue to be produced for a few seconds until the gravitons in the piping were consumed.

3. GRAVPLATING – The gravitons are fed by the piping system into the gravplating that lines the floor of the ship or station. Constructed of a special material, the gravplating, when exposed to the gravitons, emits an Artificial Gravitional field (needs a name) that acts similarly to a natural gravitational field, but differs in a few key ways. One way is that the the thick hulls of ships and stations, designed to block cosmic radiation, also are able to prevent the AG field from escaping into space. In most instances, these gravplates are installed under the floor, but perhaps more industrial areas would use the gravplates as the floor itself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's the famous jpg people pay money for? WTF?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

That's the famous jpg people pay money for? WTF?

that post/avatar combo :discourse:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

e: don't know much about game development, but I assume geography doesn't matter, especially when you are working on a 0.5 billion loving dollar budget. programmers develop using temporary art all the time and drag&drop the final art in at the end. the amount of data they would have to regularly exchange between two offices is probably pretty small.

IRC they opened the other offices as a tax scam/government incentive scam. Germany and the UK are hungry for game companies settling there and offer all kinds of funding if you just plop down an office.

(I guess you could achieve some kind of positive effect from working around the clock because, realistically, only a limited number of people can work on one thing at the same time before the efficiency goes down the drain. If you implement "chain working", you can get in more manhours on that one specific thing. But that's a level of optimization/sophistication that goes light years beyond what those clowns are even capable of. I don't know of any real, working global company (like Siemens or Intel) who bothers with that for development. It's too much trouble and too hard to get working

They use it as a proud point to toot around

We move 500000 terrabits of data a day in wasted uploads !

They even had that commercial with the US internet provider talking about how they need a fat pipe to move all the jpeg data every day

Like come on guys it shouldn't be something to be proud of that your daily builds are so loving bloated

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blue On Blue posted:

They use it as a proud point to toot around

We move 500000 terrabits of data a day in wasted uploads !

They even had that commercial with the US internet provider talking about how they need a fat pipe to move all the jpeg data every day

Like come on guys it shouldn't be something to be proud of that your daily builds are so loving bloated

Every time some artists changes a pixel in the 2GB underpants texture, it gets redistributed through the worldwide Crobnet

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shanghaied posted:

It's gravity - graviton or whatever is pumped through the ship in a series of tubes:

Wait, is this real? Rather than just handwave artificial gravity as space magic they never explain like every sci-fi property that doesn't want to have rotating ships, they instead come up with something involving piping it around the ships??

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wait, is this real? Rather than just handwave artificial gravity as space magic they never explain like every sci-fi property that doesn't want to have rotating ships, they instead come up with something involving piping it around the ships??

yes the game uses LAG and PING to determine where you stand and what you're attracted to

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Danger - Octopus! posted:

grab yerself a tall glass of gravity juice

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

big nipples big life posted:

grab yerself a tall glass of gravity juice

wait is this where the space plumbers get involved?

Fake edit: Can I pay a space plumber to sabotage some else's gravity pipes so that at one end of their ship it's high g so they can't get out of the pilot's seat while at the other end things are weightless and all their individually rendered cargo crates full of asphyxiated slaves float around?

For clarification, can I pay them in bitcoins to do this in an imaginary spaceship jpeg?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone's playing with their toy from CIGs latest ship sale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

They're not even trying anymore

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So my understanding of CiG's argument against the Crytek lawsuit is:

1) "CiG is not the same as RSI - GOTCHA!"

and

2) "Sure we signed on to use Crytek as our exclusive engine and committed to feeding back any changes or bug fixes to Crytek - but we changed the engine so much that it is basically our engine now and we have Lumberyard and a 2nd game; so we're too busy to be bothered with this any more."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the lawsuit was shown to be pretty much entirely crytek flailing around in its own flopsweat, like they kept claiming the squadron 42 thing was some kind of shady bait and switch and then cig came back with the original contract pointing out where squadron 42 was called out explicitly by name

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...it-doesnt.shtml

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The S.S. Oghous, part of the Fourth Stimpire Vanguard.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

food court bailiff posted:

the lawsuit was shown to be pretty much entirely crytek flailing around in its own flopsweat, like they kept claiming the squadron 42 thing was some kind of shady bait and switch and then cig came back with the original contract pointing out where squadron 42 was called out explicitly by name

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...it-doesnt.shtml

I called this when the complaint was first posted and everyone acted like I was some kind of croberts shill for suggesting that there might be two sides to the story and that crytek's allegations were not some kind of ~sick burn~ that would doom star citizen. :shrug:

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If someone makes a Maybelline parody gif that ends with "Maybe it's make believe" you'll be my hero.

I don't have talents and have to live vicariously through you wonderful people

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bold Robot posted:

I called this when the complaint was first posted and everyone acted like I was some kind of croberts shill for suggesting that there might be two sides to the story and that crytek's allegations were not some kind of ~sick burn~ that would doom star citizen. :shrug:

I hate when that happens. Everyone hates the voice of reason when they're lighting their torches.

I still think there's SC supporters buried deep within the very fibers of the internet like Scientologists. Some dude had a "yay for Star Citizen" compilation video on youtube. It had ten views, including mine, and I made a comment about how his frame rate was way better than I ever managed. Some Crobertroll emerged and went on a multi paragraph sermon rant about how RSI et al was changing the actual foundations of video game development itself.

Given that they've essentially created some kind of alternate universe where you can get hundreds of millions of dollars for not making a video game, I guess he might be right.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I feel like someone could write a paper on how Star Citizens talk about their game vs other mmos. I bet you can make a strong argument that mmos just need the illusion of a good update to keep their player based invested in the game. And how the game itself doesn't have to be fun or worth playing. Star Citizen is like the greatest example of this.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

You and your FUD, everyone knows this is the end for Star Citizen.

Again.

No, for real this time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

yeah, i was one of those people, because before cig released the contract as part of their motion to dismiss there was literally no reason at all to think the lawsuit was specious, and meanwhile cig is literally a company built on lies. like, i'm not going to apologize for thinking what all the information at the time suggested was correct

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Nude posted:

I feel like someone could write a paper on how Star Citizens talk about their game vs other mmos.

I really hope someone does a serious documentary that digs into the whole thing with some input from a panel of sociologists and psychologists and marketing folks. It's all so goddamn crazy. It's like a perfect storm of sunk cost fallacy combined with i can't guess what sorts of failed reasoning and dark Jedi mind tricks. I've half watched the story from a distance just for laughs, but I'm honestly really curious about the marketing scams and mental gymnastics behind the borderline mass hysteria of it all.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

I really hope someone does a serious documentary that digs into the whole thing with some input from a panel of sociologists and psychologists and marketing folks. It's all so goddamn crazy. It's like a perfect storm of sunk cost fallacy combined with i can't guess what sorts of failed reasoning and dark Jedi mind tricks. I've half watched the story from a distance just for laughs, but I'm honestly really curious about the marketing scams and mental gymnastics behind the borderline mass hysteria of it all.

Anyone making such a documentary would probably get harassed like a motherfucker.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Icochet posted:

Anyone making such a documentary would probably get harassed like a motherfucker.

Well yeah. But it's not so bad when the people harassing you won't get up from their chair to do it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

yeah, i was one of those people, because before cig released the contract as part of their motion to dismiss there was literally no reason at all to think the lawsuit was specious, and meanwhile cig is literally a company built on lies. like, i'm not going to apologize for thinking what all the information at the time suggested was correct

, says a dude who clearly is unfamiliar with how lawsuits work. The complaint sets out one side of the story. The people who wrote it, their entire job is to write stuff that sounds convincing. Unless it’s incredibly thin, the effect upon reading a complaint is going to be “oh poo poo this guy has a point.” Skadden is not going to file trash.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

actually I know exactly how lawsuits work and the interesting thing is that crytek actually did file trash, like literally claiming things about the contract that are demonstrably and obviously false, and that's the whole reason it's weird, you tremendous moron.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

actually I know exactly how lawsuits work and the interesting thing is that crytek actually did file trash, like literally claiming things about the contract that are demonstrably and obviously false, and that's the whole reason it's weird, you tremendous moron.

Hmmm yes, it sure is weird that two companies fighting over a contract have different ideas about what it means.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Hmmm yes, it sure is weird that two companies fighting over a contract have different ideas about what it means.

did you read the complaint because holy poo poo you seem like a tard right now lol

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

did you read the complaint because holy poo poo you seem like a tard right now lol

I’m not the one who by his own admission got taken in by the complaint. :shrug:

All I’m saying is when you read a document prepared for litigation, remember that you’re getting one side of the story (this applies to the motion to dismiss as well, although yeah crytek’s case is not looking good).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

most complaints over contract disputes do not lie about the material facts of the contract hth

e: you seem to be under the impression that this is the only lawsuit i have ever followed or that this is the only complaint I have ever looked at and neither of those are remotely close to the truth

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Guys guys guys, no need to slapfight, you both look like tards.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
And that's why you never attend the after party at the Special Olympics.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veiled boner fuel posted:

Guys guys guys, no need to slapfight, you both look like tards.

Yeah, guys. Save the circle jerks and JO sessions for craigslist.

Also, PM me.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

most complaints over contract disputes do not lie about the material facts of the contract hth

i practiced in contract law for years and i wish this were true

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The ruling on the MtD is in 2 days so poo poo is going to get ultra retarded after that no matter what the ruling is.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
But for real, when is the game coming out?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Over There posted:

I'm posting from inside my jpg right now

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Over There posted:

2035, but by then it will be nothing but a generic pac-man clone.

Star Citizens everywhere will rejoice at the depth and near-to-lifeness of it.

...then the mass suicides will begin.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Over There posted:

If you're asking this question, you're already playing it.

Dun-Dun-Dunnnnn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Over There posted:

It already came out, you missed it. It was great and delivered on every promise.