Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Grab Nick, since he's more relevant to Far Harbor's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Keeshhound posted:

I thought this was the primary appeal of the mod, though?

My first run of the game, I kitted out Preston with a baseball outfit, batters cap, sunnies, and that legendary baseball bat that sends enemies flying. Homerun Garvey was my favorite companion, and if he suddenly told me that he wouldn't be my friend because I'm enslaving innocents, I'd be mad. With the mod, I can still roleplay Overboss on my vacation to Nuka World to see the bizarre quest design through to the end, without sacrificing my Lovers Embrace perk.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

potaties posted:

My first run of the game, I kitted out Preston with a baseball outfit, batters cap, sunnies, and that legendary baseball bat that sends enemies flying. Homerun Garvey was my favorite companion

This... is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Now I feel bad for sticking Preston in the time-out corner for all these years.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This... is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Now I feel bad for sticking Preston in the time-out corner for all these years.

Yeah, his reaction to finding the lost treasures of Jamaica Plain is just to bust out laughing at how absurd the whole affair turned out. It's a weird moment when you're used to him being the ten-cent version of Yes Man.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i realize it's bethesda and i don't know what i expected but i'm honestly offended at the PC interface somehow being worse than their previous games. everyone making the game had to make it using a PC, do they all just hate themselves

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the entire beginning of this game makes no sense, i worry i'm being a weird pedant unable to suspend my disbelief about a videogame with giant cockroaches but for real what is this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Plus Houston DLC for the obvious joke. "Man, the nukes really did a number on this place" "Oh, Houston wasn't nuked! It was just like this."

please God do this so I can see the end result of The Woodlands getting wiped off the face of this goddamn planet

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Yandat posted:

the entire beginning of this game makes no sense, i worry i'm being a weird pedant unable to suspend my disbelief about a videogame with giant cockroaches but for real what is this

4 or 3?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

please God do this so I can see the end result of The Woodlands getting wiped off the face of this goddamn planet

Nah, give agency to the player, let you do it. Megaton, but with reason.

Oh man woodlands could be amazing, all of the Stepford people turned ghouls, the HOA still ruling with an iron fist.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Oh man woodlands could be amazing, all of the Stepford people turned ghouls, the HOA still ruling with an iron fist.

i would unironically bust a loving nut if Fallout 5 let me loving demolish this horrible abomination of a suburb by my own hands, holy gently caress

THS
Sep 15, 2017

4, i hardly remember 3 i played it once when it came out

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i would unironically bust a loving nut if Fallout 5 let me loving demolish this horrible abomination of a suburb by my own hands, holy gently caress

Hah. I was born there, but my family left just after I was born because after a few years of living there, they decided they 'couldn't let their child be raised in this country'.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

What is the Woodlands? Over-priced enclave of McMansions populated by yuppies?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Exurb of about a hundred thousand people near Houston that basically exists to house all of the oil company middle management employees who refuse to live in Houston. Endless, hypnotic waves of identical streets, a HOA based on the government of North Korea, a roughly 1:1 resident:golf course ratio, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MH Knights posted:

What is the Woodlands? Over-priced enclave of McMansions populated by yuppies?

MikeJF basically nailed it, but yeah, imagine an entire small town of what you described about an hour north of Houston "proper"

so it's a loving garbage place to live and it doesn't even have the saving grace of being close to cool poo poo, because driving downtown is kind of a bitch 75% of the time

e: also there's literally almost no people of color here and it's astoundingly creepy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I’ve just added a couple of mods to Fallout 4 and now the only option I have is to start a new game. Is that right? It seems really weird.
I mean I’d pretty much finished with my initial character but I wanted to use that save to test some stuff out and make sure mods were working before starting a fresh game.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i know this is my first time playing fallout 4 and i'm way behind but experiencing this all for the first time, holy poo poo Bethesda absolutely has to scrap this engine. this is loving awful

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

fo4 engine is probably the first iteration that's actually reliable

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it's still just perceptively janky as hell, the feel is all off. maybe it's because i'm playing it on a PC?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I’d be ok with a new master who dips people into vats of oil to produce a gruesome new creature called an oil executive.

Houston actually could be really decent since it’s so drat big that you could do a fallout that stretches from Galveston to Conroe and Katy to Beaumont have a bunch of different environments to explore and destroy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

MikeJF basically nailed it, but yeah, imagine an entire small town of what you described about an hour north of Houston "proper"

Also, the woodlands would dream of having the vitality and energy of yuppies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MikeJF posted:

Also, the woodlands would dream of having the vitality and energy of yuppies.

I'd really like to see Fallout go back to being larger scale. Something like FO: South Texas would be pretty cool, though. The Houston/Austin/San Antonio triangle with a shitload of empty wasteland between has good chances to make things really thematic.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Yandat posted:

it's still just perceptively janky as hell, the feel is all off. maybe it's because i'm playing it on a PC?

No, it's just as terrible as it seems and definitely isn't better than previous iterations. I'm pretty sure if you listen closely you can hear the engine whisper "kill meeeee" whenever you do anything involving the settlement system.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's absolutely less crash-prone than it's been before. Although that has more to do with Skyrim Legendary Edition; basically Sony said "none of your games have actually worked on our consoles, we're not working with you on the PS4 rerelease of Skyrim until you fix your poo poo." and that was the motivator to finally fix stuff like quicksave crashes and memory overflows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd really like to see Fallout go back to being larger scale. Something like FO: South Texas would be pretty cool, though. The Houston/Austin/San Antonio triangle with a shitload of empty wasteland between has good chances to make things really thematic.

You really want to see more Bethesda "cities"?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's funny when people complain about the tiny cities because in early Bethesda games they were gigantic and jammed full of pointless buildings and NPCs. They were just a mess to navigate.

I think Daggerfall was the last game they made with a separate overworld map and smaller city/encounter cells (like what we saw in 1, 2 and Tactics) and since then they've been moving away from that design on all their games. It's something the genre itself seemed to be moving away from - Dragon Age and Wasteland 2 are the only recent examples I can think of that used a map to travel between destintions. And maybe Mass Effect through the situation there is a little different.

With the way Bethesda has been turning this franchise into more of an action RPG than it's predicesors I really don't see them going back to the old ways.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yandat posted:

Something fun that can sometimes happen is that you go into third-person but the camera isn't positioned to pop free so it ends up sticking out your ear and you play at 60 degrees to first person. Try switching out and back.

You could shift also the FOV back a little, it's tuned to be six-feet-from-the-TV relatable by default? I think the INI setting is in an old thread OP.

Found it in the modding OP, drop this in your Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Display]
fDefaultWorldFOV=90
fDefault1stPersonFOV=90

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, I want more deserts because that's the only loving thing they can do right.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Tried Fallout 4 for the free weekend and I did have some fun with it but it made me reinstall New Vegas after a few years off and goddamn the writing, quest & world design, story etc is so far beyond FO4 it's sad. Did a trial run to make sure my mods weren't conflicting and the trial run lasted several hours and now I'm addicted again :negative:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the biggest problem for Bethesda is that their games are renowned for "if you can see it, you can go there" style gameplay, which limits the ways in which they can build a game world. they could easily build bigger "towns" that have houses you can't enter or buildings that make the city look expansive but are basically just set dressing, but because people expect that they can go anywhere in the game, everything has to be able to be interacted with (even if it's a mostly empty house with only a table and forks and wooden plates).

if Bethesda could get away from the idea that literally every square inch of the game world is able to be explored then they could do the kind of world building that gives the illusion of size, but that's not their bag.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's funny when people complain about the tiny cities because in early Bethesda games they were gigantic and jammed full of pointless buildings and NPCs. They were just a mess to navigate.

I think Daggerfall was the last game they made with a separate overworld map and smaller city/encounter cells (like what we saw in 1, 2 and Tactics) and since then they've been moving away from that design on all their games. It's something the genre itself seemed to be moving away from - Dragon Age and Wasteland 2 are the only recent examples I can think of that used a map to travel between destintions. And maybe Mass Effect through the situation there is a little different.

With the way Bethesda has been turning this franchise into more of an action RPG than it's predicesors I really don't see them going back to the old ways.

Daggerfall was a single unified map just like their recent games. The overworld map was a fast travel screen.

The issue was that Daggerfall was like literally literally the size of Great Britain or something. So walking between tiny village dot and the nearby dungeon dot meant 90 minutes of walking across empty, bumpy, randomly generated terrain, and hoping you were on course to find the dungeon model through dead reckoning. :lol:

The only other game like this that pops to mind is Arcanum. You could apparently walk from city to city through a vast, basically featureless proceduraly generated wilderness instead of using the fast travel. If you were, y'know, an idiot.

I would be interested to see someone retackle the 'real life' sized Daggerfall sized RPG again, with todays improved procedural generation. You'd need decent travel options though, like a car/dragon or something. Obviously it would be more likely to be an indie project.

EDIT: Like, I have this fantasy image of someone taking the data set from some global flight sim like FSX or Xplane and turning it into a post apocalyptic game, where you travel around a lot via vtol plane and buggy across a real-life sized Earth with thousands and thousands of dungeons/ruins/villages. Hoping out to do first person travel, dungeon crawling, shooting. Cross-continental/ocean travel could be done via a system where you pay a vendor, like the city-to-city wagons in Skyrim. It'd probably suck, but.... :allears:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 8, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Washington was unironically one of my favorite areas in any bethesda game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fintilgin posted:

Daggerfall was a single unified map just like their recent games. The overworld map was a fast travel screen.

The issue was that Daggerfall was like literally literally the size of Great Britain or something. So walking between tiny village dot and the nearby dungeon dot meant 90 minutes of walking across empty, bumpy, randomly generated terrain, and hoping you were on course to find the dungeon model through dead reckoning. :lol:

The only other game like this that pops to mind is Arcanum. You could apparently walk from city to city through a vast, basically featureless proceduraly generated wilderness instead of using the fast travel. If you were, y'know, an idiot.

drat, did it really have all that open space in the game? It's been such a long time since I played I only remember bits nd pieces but I thought the map just ended at some point since it was all empty grass texture for the most part. I don't remember ever running out to see where it went.

Still, I could see why that would lead them to creating more compressed but detailed maps. Having empty space be proceedurally generated would be a neat trick but I bet it would become repetitive before long and potentially confusing over time since you'd have no landmarks between destinations. Just endless cheap you've seen a million times before. And if you gave your players the option to spend 2 weeks walking between Boston and New York but everyone just fast travelled because it was better then why spend the effort putting anything between them at all?

For all it's other short comings I did enjoy the driving and vehicle combat in RAGE. If the next Fallout were to have more open space where you were meant to drive around but could stop in at various points of interest along the way I'd get behind that. But I don't know about proceedurally generating wilderness or forcing people to walk 400 miles in realtime...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Edit: poo poo, swiped the wrong option by mistake.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

drat, did it really have all that open space in the game? It's been such a long time since I played I only remember bits nd pieces but I thought the map just ended at some point since it was all empty grass texture for the most part. I don't remember ever running out to see where it went.

I don't think anyone did, except as joke or to prove a point.

quote:

For all it's other short comings I did enjoy the driving and vehicle combat in RAGE. If the next Fallout were to have more open space where you were meant to drive around but could stop in at various points of interest along the way I'd get behind that. But I don't know about proceedurally generating wilderness or forcing people to walk 400 miles in realtime...

Yeah, I always liked to picture New Vegas scaled up like Fuel or something. You'd load into your buggy as the driver, Boone would man the turret, while Cass rode shotgun, and Lilly would cling the back bumper (`cause she's too big to fit inside) and sway around as you turned. :lol:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My memory might be wrong but didn't Fallout 4 have a bunch of generic villager NPCs without names? I was gonna say Bethesda always wants even their minor pointless NPCs to be actual characters to some extent, which is the way it is in TES games (excluding guards), but I don't think they kept doing it in Fallout.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was the city in van Buren that was supposed to be a bunch of bridged skyscrapers above a radioactive cloud?

If they decide to go back to open world wilderness I'd love to see the next fallout take some cues from Witcher 3 and Mad Max 2015's level design. Vast but not too vast and with a means of traversing it quickly to pass over the boring spots while maintaining an expansive scope.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That was Denver.

Mad Max was another great open world game. Have to go back nd play through it again. It's so bleak.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Internet Kraken posted:

My memory might be wrong but didn't Fallout 4 have a bunch of generic villager NPCs without names? I was gonna say Bethesda always wants even their minor pointless NPCs to be actual characters to some extent, which is the way it is in TES games (excluding guards), but I don't think they kept doing it in Fallout.

Fallout 3 too, actually. There's a few generic NPC townspeople in Megaton, Tenpenny and possibly elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, I want more deserts because that's the only loving thing they can do right.

Which Bethesda game had a desert in it?