Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I can't think of anything more "audiophile" than paying entirely too much for a feature poor product which is only compatible with a select few other very expensive products because a reviewer raved about how the the power cord made him feel inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

r u ready to WALK posted:

I just want a voice assistant that both knows my local language and supports third party plugins, how hard can that be

Siri might be kinda dumb but it's the only one that understands norwegian

in defense of my purchase, it's bad and useless in my native tongue.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

in defense of my purchase, it's bad and useless in my native tongue.

:yossame:

but for all voice activated anything

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I can't think of anything more "audiophile" than paying entirely too much for a feature poor product which is only compatible with a select few other very expensive products because a reviewer raved about how the the power cord made him feel inside.

maybe he shoves power cords up his rear end as a fetish and it fulfills him :colbert:

do you want to deny a man the pleasures of his flesh???

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

pram posted:

foobar 2k -said in a very fat voice

your normal voice :pram:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

If you’re logged in to your iCloud account, all of the messages and calls are yours and come from you. That’s great if you’re a single dude living alone, but it completely falls apart in a family environment. Apple allows you to toggle these options off as the iCloud account owner and I recommend you do before it all ends in tears.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

If you’re logged in to your iCloud account, all of the messages and calls are yours and come from you. That’s great if you’re a single dude living alone, but it completely falls apart in a family environment. Apple allows you to toggle these options off as the iCloud account owner and I recommend you do before it all ends in tears.

wait can the homepod not identify each user by voice and use that users account for whatever it is they do?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

apparently not!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hosed up if true

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Linguica posted:

tim's crack security and anti-leaking team notches another big win https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a34g9j/iphone-source-code-iboot-ios-leak

:classiclol:

timb will have to release the giant white floating balloon to find the leaker

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 8, 2018

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Instead of trying to differentiate voices they could just use the iphone in everyones pockets as a secondary information source, whatever iphone heard the same command should be the one to pull messages from
I suppose you could do some sort of presence testing as well by making the phone audibly ping the speaker and refuse to read messages if they aren't within a range you define

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apple music day one: legit impressed. works smooth, decent enough UI/UX, very broad selection of arcane slavic dnb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

If you’re logged in to your iCloud account, all of the messages and calls are yours and come from you. That’s great if you’re a single dude living alone

who else would buy a homepod?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

who else would buy a homepod?

I’m a retired, midwestern mother of 6 who voted for Trump and still supports him but wishes he wouldn’t tweet as much. I get angry when players take a knee at the national anthem and even my cats leave the room when I start yelling. Anyway I’m an android user but one of my grandkids left me an original iPad with Mr. Siri from England on it. He’s sexy as h*ck and always has the funniest things to say when I tell him about those ungrateful NFL players. You bet I’m getting a HomePod!! Definitely the white one though, there’s just something about the oth—hold on there’s somebody from the failing liberal satanic New Dork Times outside again.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nice self-own

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the homepod would be a totally fine "good enough for most" speaker with an assistant but the problem is the sonos one exists, is $150 less, works with streaming services people use, and has a functional voice assistant that you can expand with non-sonos devices.

and lol of course google releases one for $50 more than the homepod that sounds worse.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

and lol of course google releases one for $50 more than the homepod that sounds worse.

it comes with a rubber mat you put underneath it so the unbalanced bass drivers don't knock it off your shelf

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google + hardware = comedy, every time (exception: chromecast)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

chromecast is the exception that proves the rule

oh sure, the homepod probably sounds better than a sonos one but lol if apple thinks theres a sizable market that exists between sonos speakers and even an entry level deec home stereo system. gently caress get two sonos ones for the same price as a homepod and theres your multiroom or stereo pair that actually works out of the fuckin box instead of waiting on software updates.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

sleepwalkers posted:

chromecast is the exception that proves the rule

oh sure, the homepod probably sounds better than a sonos one but lol if apple thinks theres a sizable market that exists between sonos speakers and even an entry level deec home stereo system. gently caress get two sonos ones for the same price as a homepod and theres your multiroom or stereo pair that actually works out of the fuckin box instead of waiting on software updates.

apple knows that a sizeable market exists between "people who ask "what's a sonos"" and "people who can bore people to death with the explanation about sonos"

that market is people who visit easily accessible apple stores across the world and they're suckers for things that Just Work™ and offer functionality they didn't imagine
besides, a year from now homepodOS will have updates that address half the complaints nerds have now (except siri will still suck obviously)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah I don’t know wtf sonos is or why I should care. I just want a nice speaker that sounds good and is easy to set up

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i dont know or care what <product> is, i just want a <description of product>!!!!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Hello Spaceman posted:

apple knows that a sizeable market exists between "people who ask "what's a sonos"" and "people who can bore people to death with the explanation about sonos"

that market is people who visit easily accessible apple stores across the world and they're suckers for things that Just Work™ and offer functionality they didn't imagine
besides, a year from now homepodOS will have updates that address half the complaints nerds have now (except siri will still suck obviously)

loving this.

the one extremely underrated thing about AirPods is that the pairing process is better than literally everything else on the market, and the HomePod is gonna be the same and thus own with Dads.

Most people don't want to punch in their e-mail and make another password YET AGAIN just to get poo poo working. They want as few steps between 'plug in' and 'listen to Van Halen'.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Jimmy Carter posted:

the one extremely underrated thing about AirPods is that the pairing process is better than literally everything else on the market

headphone jack pairing process is pretty fuckin easy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Fiedler in 2005 posted:

Ethernet jack pairing process is pretty fuckin easy.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Linguica posted:

Ethernet jack pairing process is pretty fuckin easy.

Agreed. Wifi is overrated.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

loving this.

the one extremely underrated thing about AirPods is that the pairing process is better than literally everything else on the market, and the HomePod is gonna be the same and thus own with Dads.

Most people don't want to punch in their e-mail and make another password YET AGAIN just to get poo poo working. They want as few steps between 'plug in' and 'listen to Van Halen'.

yep

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
i have sonos play:1 speakers and they are good but the sonos app is o.g. android clunky and bad

if sonos is able to upgrade the play:1 to use airplay 2 I will continue to buy sonos products and sing their praises to anyone with the patience to listen to me flap my fat gums at them, otherwise I may sell them for airplay 2 compatible stuff instead

if you like Spotify you should probably buy sonos stuff unless you are a smart audio nerd in which case you know better already

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fiedler posted:

Agreed. Wifi is overrated.
I recently bought a switch and put almost everything on ethernet and :feelsgood:

I have 2 sonos play 1s in a stereo pair as bedroom system/alarm clock and I love them but they weren't 100% until I got a bridge thing and used their propriety mesh network

the app isn't great but it supports drat near every service so you can just switch between your own music and pandora and amazon or whatever and it all actually works

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i have $250 premium earphones with much better sound than the airpods but I almost never use them anymore because yeah, cables suck rear end

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
looks like i drunk bought this last night per my posting end of last page

sure hope its good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
i used to have my CC # memorized, and oh, the drunk impulse purchases i used to make online :ughh:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i buy so much poo poo from apple they already have all my cc's stored

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apple thread: very broad selection of arcane slavic dnb
thread title

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sniep posted:

just use apple pay in the apple store app

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

hell same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Ripoff posted:

i have sonos play:1 speakers and they are good but the sonos app is o.g. android clunky and bad

if sonos is able to upgrade the play:1 to use airplay 2 I will continue to buy sonos products and sing their praises to anyone with the patience to listen to me flap my fat gums at them, otherwise I may sell them for airplay 2 compatible stuff instead

if you like Spotify you should probably buy sonos stuff unless you are a smart audio nerd in which case you know better already

prefer jbl for good, cheap bt speakers. Sonos is at the price point where if you’re getting multiple id rather spend the money on proper monitors