Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/elfrid/status/961105074436046848

edit: man, looking at his stats they're not even that bad? what is orlando doing

They traded a lovely player for a mediocre return

He's good at getting to the rim with these herky jerky moves but he's somehow regressed in finishing at the rim. The jumper gets worked on every summer and never improves. He's gotten better at figuring out what kind of shots he can actually make and that's the reason his overall FG% is up. Because of this, guys can play off of him even more since he won't take long twos or any threes that aren't from the corner or, when he's feeling frisky, from the wings. The 3pt% is up but I believe it was due to not shooting as many. I think he's started shooting more in the last month after coming back from injury but it was at 1 attempt per game before that. Basically I don't trust a perimeter shooter when he can't make his free throws. Speaking of free throws, that's regressed, too! And the other side of the floor is the main disappointment with Elfrid. We all knew he'd be a bad shooter coming in but he was supposed to be a very good defender and a big point guard who could manhandle these smaller guys to make up for it. Instead, he's even worse on defense than offense. He gambles way too often, gets burned off the dribble entirely too much, which puts pressure on the lackluster frontcourt to pick up these guards and it's too much to ask of them. Vucevic is alright one-on-one but he's not quick enough to slide over and pick someone up. It makes the frontcourt look much worse than they actually are on defense. And to top it off, Payton is terrible at defending pick and rolls, often getting caught on picks, and he's regressed here as well. His only plus is he gets some steals and fast breaks but that's from him gambling so much. It's like he watched tape of Allen Iverson defending and took notes. The form on his jumper has changed a bit every year but by February it's back to where it was. He just doesn't seem to have it in him to improve there, and the team has had to be constructed around his deficiencies and that's stunted the growth of the team overall. They've had to cover up Vucevic's defensive limitations AND Payton's offensive issues. That's just too much. At least one has to go, and now one has left but I'm pretty sure Nik is gone in this summer as well. He would've been traded if he hadn't gotten hurt. Oladipo never improved much as a shooter in Orlando either but he could make them; he was just streaky. Payton just can't make them and, when watching him, you can't see it really getting any better.

The weirdest part with Elfrid Payton is that he has to know that his career is kind of hanging in a weird area and a lot of people think his hair is getting in the way of his shot. Now, if you thought he cared then he'd try to tie it back or trim it just to see if that'd help. But no, he's doubled down and it hangs lower than it ever has. He hasn't improved, has a very blah attitude on the court (which may be good or bad but coupled with everything else it seems bad), and seems to care more about that dumb hair than his career. Bottom line is he's a very limited player, especially for this era, and you cannot play him for 30 minutes unless your entire team is built especially around him. He'll be a backup and may start on bad teams in a pinch, like Jarrett Jack or Darren Collison used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Elfrid Payton is awful, Joe Johnson is awful, I still believe in Bruno and papagiannis, cant believe the cavs gave up that pick, hope yall had a good deadline, I tried my best but I couldn't swing a crazy 7-team trade for the amusement of the internet.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lmao Magic is such an rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/shahanLA/status/961705680980750336/video/1

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how dare you magic HOW DARE YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how is it that guy who was once really good and a genuine humanitarian does nothing but get poo poo on by basketball executives

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/961832647067557888

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Draymond got the standard 27 year old vs 39 year old at the rec center treatment there

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

All that's missing is hearing Dirk ask him where he's going

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dirk is the best :unsmith:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have the same birthday as Dirk. I came up with this idea five years ago and I've been waiting on it ever since, but we're almost there. I'm gonna have a Dirk Nowitzki turns 40 birthday party. This is the most excited I've been for a birthday since I turned 18.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/961828283372396544

Doncic is doing insane poo poo in Euroleague.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I'm not sure how you can even argue that Peyton's hair isn't interfering with his shot at this point. The poo poo blocked one of his shots earlier in the season and is clearly in his eyes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Elfrid Payton's new teammates need to find a way to trick him into shaving his head. A fake Make-a-Wish kid and the whole team shaves their heads in solidarity. A "hair vs hair" bet where everyone on the team conspires to make sure Payton loses. Fake lice infestation in the locker room. Something.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't know if I'm faceblind or if Nomar grew like 10 inches, changed hair, and is playing for the wizards.

lmao what?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Elfrid is just going for full on anime bancho style hair

Good imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Elfrid Payton is awful, Joe Johnson is awful, I still believe in Bruno and papagiannis, cant believe the cavs gave up that pick, hope yall had a good deadline, I tried my best but I couldn't swing a crazy 7-team trade for the amusement of the internet.

Cavs just gave up their own pick, right? They still have the Nets one.

R.D. Mangles posted:

how is it that guy who was once really good and a genuine humanitarian does nothing but get poo poo on by basketball executives

Probably blame him for what happened to Danny Ferry.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lockback posted:

Cavs just gave up their own pick, right? They still have the Nets one.

Yeah but its a weird half measure. If they're planning on lebron staying, they should have used the nets pick for players that moved the needle in a win now move, and if they're thinking hes gone they should have kept the pick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think they could get anything good for that pick . Nets are playing better than expected. Would DAJ have worked ?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I don't know if I'm faceblind or if Nomar grew like 10 inches, changed hair, and is playing for the wizards.

I hope you're kidding.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When you realize you have autism.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

I don't think they could get anything good for that pick . Nets are playing better than expected. Would DAJ have worked ?

I think that's what LA was asking for. I believe people in this thread have been totally underestimating how much the Nets pick is worth on the market. They could have also packaged Love with the CLE pick to get something good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If LAC didn't want TT ( probably) that deal doesn't work.

Imho

Love plus Nets pick may have worked but he broke his hand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Love plus Nets pick is worth way more than DJ, even with Love's broken hand.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Afterwards, Celtics went on a 110-104 run to win the game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

*Grizzled vet voice*
Where were you when Gendo was raining down doughnut photoshops and no one knew the value of a big shooting 3s

probation because I kept reporting his posts :v:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Afterwards, Celtics went on a 110-104 run to win the game

200-191 is a crazy high final score!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/961828283372396544

Doncic is doing insane poo poo in Euroleague.

Be careful with that stat line because it is using a "per 40 minutes" rate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That TS% is nice tho.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

He's also only hitting 32% of his 3s from a shorter line. Obviously that's not the end of the world, but his game will need some work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://streamable.com/9npiz

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dont doxx me

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

They found the only adult in America that doesn't know the rules of tic-tac-toe.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

How does one live their entire life without learning the rules to Tic-Tac-Toe?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

At least they can be comforted knowing only 30,000+ people at the arena and the entire internet were the only ones to witness that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I think the dumb girl is on to something... tic-tac-toe would be alot more fun if you could cancel out someone's O by simply putting your X on top of it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.
:confused: Did he literally ask Portis to punch him in the face as hard as he could?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kibner posted:

It's not like he's playing 10-15 mpg. They're pretty representative.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

dokmo posted:

I like to think Niko's a huge King of the Hill fan and Bobby just got sick of the references.

Was it that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it's funny but does anyone else feel kind of bad for IT? I mean going from MVP candidate to people debating if you're washed in less than a year? He seems like a nice enough guy.

• Locked thread