Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The most awful moment in the Witcher 3 is when you get into a fist-fight with that half-elf-all-rear end in a top hat during that card-tournament. Fist-fights in this game are hard, but if you fail you just get knocked out instead of dying, so you can continue the game minus some dignity. Not here though. For no good reason you get a game-over if this rear end in a top hat beats you up, and he will beat you up in this tiny room until you git gud on the sixth attempt.

At the start of any fistfight, dodge backwards. Wait for your opponent to come to you, then hold block as soon as he starts to swing at you. You'll parry him without taking damage every time, and then can get two or three quick hits (don't bother with heavy) against him until he starts blocking. When he starts blocking, dodge backwards and repeat.

It's not good but it's extremely easy even on Death March. You can usually screw up two or three times before you lose, too, so even if you suck at videogames like I do it's hard to gently caress this technique up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I had the same issue. I started selling things and it's stopped being as big an issue though. You barely ever need lenses to trade for items so robots are an amazing source of cash.

You also only need a total of 2 of each of the braidings, which sell for a shitload.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Replaying Xcom enemy unknown and I started a new game and chose a research project on Xeno biology and the scientist said, and I quote, “that does seem to be the most pressing of our research concerns.” So I’m thinking I made the best choice right? I mean that’s literally what she told me. Anyway I decide I want to replay the tutorial since I’ve forgotten a few things so I make a new game and play the tutorial (the game automatically skips the tutorial if you’ve played before, you have to select the tutorial on new games). So I play it and then replay the first mission and get to choose a new research project again. THIS TIME I choose a weapon research project and the same scientist says, and I quote, “that does seem to be the most pressing of our research concerns.” THE EXACT SAME THING. they can’t bth be the most pressing bitch. What the gently caress

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Replaying Xcom enemy unknown and I started a new game and chose a research project on Xeno biology and the scientist said, and I quote, “that does seem to be the most pressing of our research concerns.” So I’m thinking I made the best choice right? I mean that’s literally what she told me. Anyway I decide I want to replay the tutorial since I’ve forgotten a few things so I make a new game and play the tutorial (the game automatically skips the tutorial if you’ve played before, you have to select the tutorial on new games). So I play it and then replay the first mission and get to choose a new research project again. THIS TIME I choose a weapon research project and the same scientist says, and I quote, “that does seem to be the most pressing of our research concerns.” THE EXACT SAME THING. they can’t bth be the most pressing bitch. What the gently caress

Oh, sweet summer child.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when decent games are spoiled because the main characters have moments when they are generally gross in a way that may not have been intended, like Ergo in Anima Gate of Memories.
Aren't you raped by the leader of the good guys in Farcry 3? A lot of people talk about how it's in poor taste that your friend gets raped by one of the bad guy's lieutenant, but I almost never hear about the time when you get drugged and wake up with your quest-giver on top of you, naked.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Whatever you pick is the most pressing concern because you are God Emperor and whatever you deem the most important just is.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Because it got brought up in the favorite things thread: Digital Devil Saga 2. I hate how the game constantly changes your party make-up. I plan out my characters and party only to get a key character swiped away. It gets awful near the end. I Love the story, but they seriously irritated me with all the characters getting pulled out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I dislike it in general when I can't choose my party makeup. Granted, that's a bit of a gripe for older RPG's, but don't offer me a large cast and only let me use who you choose!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Forced party members depends heavily on how it's done for me. It's fine if the game levels unused characters, gives them equipment and lets you do some stuff at your own pace with them, and the worst if it suddenly dumps you in combat with only a bunch of weaklings on your side.

Related: When you normally have a full party and make your main character focused on conversation/disarming traps/etc and then there's some segment when you're on your own and expected to fight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Final Fantasy II (you know, the actual second Final Fantasy game) has a constantly rotating fourth slot, which is pretty bad for a game where your characters improve by doing things repeatedly. It stops right before the final dungeon, when they drop a fresh character in your lap who will be there until the credits roll. Thanks game!

At a certain point you just give them all the hand-me-downs when it comes down to items. You might also strip them of their items when you know they are about to say bye-bye.

...which sucks if you got the GBA version (or any version released afterwards) since that added a side-story that features some of these guest characters and they inherit the equipment and spells they had in the main story. Remember Minwu, the White Mage? You start with just him, have fun barely scraping by for the first hour.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MrAptronym posted:

Because it got brought up in the favorite things thread: Digital Devil Saga 2. I hate how the game constantly changes your party make-up. I plan out my characters and party only to get a key character swiped away. It gets awful near the end. I Love the story, but they seriously irritated me with all the characters getting pulled out.

It's real frustrating in 2 for certain parts. Hope you've been leveling Cielo! I really, really hope you have! :negative: I forgot to last play through. At least when you get them back they level and master whatever mantra they were equipped with. I liked it more in the first game where occasionally Heat and Argilla would gently caress off for a brief segment and you could equip them with a high cost mantra just before they did and they'd come back with it mastered automatically. 2 is definitely more story driven and fast paced than the first game. There's not much optional content in it either. Only four optional bosses before the final dungeon.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Forced party members depends heavily on how it's done for me. It's fine if the game levels unused characters, gives them equipment and lets you do some stuff at your own pace with them, and the worst if it suddenly dumps you in combat with only a bunch of weaklings on your side.

Related: When you normally have a full party and make your main character focused on conversation/disarming traps/etc and then there's some segment when you're on your own and expected to fight.

In Digital Devil Saga 2 there are major plot reasons your party gets forcibly shifted around everyone dies. Except for one really annoying boss fight where one of your party members insists on forcing his way into the party for it. Which sucks if you haven't been using him.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Why won’t blood borne just get a goddamn pc release so I can play it???

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

CordlessPen posted:

Aren't you raped by the leader of the good guys in Farcry 3? A lot of people talk about how it's in poor taste that your friend gets raped by one of the bad guy's lieutenant, but I almost never hear about the time when you get drugged and wake up with your quest-giver on top of you, naked.

That doesn't count as rape, everybody knows women can't rape men, duh.
No of course I don't loving think that, but enough people do or just don't care that that's the reason why nobody really talks about it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Why won’t blood borne just get a goddamn pc release so I can play it???

Just but a PS4 already.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

rydiafan posted:

Just but a PS4 already.

My friend's telling me to buy PS4 to play Diablo 3 with him. When I call him a complete moron he reminds me I won't be able to play Bloodborne on PC ever so I pressed ctrl-printscreen and pasted a screenshot of Final Fantasy X.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Sony funded bloodborne. While yeah a lot of platform exclusives evantually goto pc, that ones locked down pretty hard.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sony funded bloodborne. While yeah a lot of platform exclusives evantually goto pc, that ones locked down pretty hard.

They won't care once the new console generation comes out and sell it to more people who'll gladly pay full price for a 10 year old game.

I wouldn't worry.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Just like how I'm playing MGS4 on PC right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And Demon Souls.

Chances are Bloodborne Remastered will be a Ps5 launch title.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Well Final Fantasy X is like 18 years and I had this exact same dumb argument with another then-PS2 owning friend.

I'm not buying a dumbed down pc to play a few more videogames. My backlog is only getting bigger with console exclusive titles on steam as it is. It can wait until I retire.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I will - hopefully - be dead in 18 years, so I'm going to enjoy this ps4 now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

Well Final Fantasy X is like 18 years and I had this exact same dumb argument with another then-PS2 owning friend.

I'm not buying a dumbed down pc to play a few more videogames. My backlog is only getting bigger with console exclusive titles on steam as it is. It can wait until I retire.

FFX wasn’t funded by Sony or a PS2 exclusive for any reason other than technical ones. You may as well wait for a port of Uncharted or God of War while you’re at it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dewgy posted:

FFX wasn’t funded by Sony or a PS2 exclusive for any reason other than technical ones. You may as well wait for a port of Uncharted or God of War while you’re at it.

Yeah meanwhile I can play something we call "any strategy game".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Because you can only have a computer or a console and not both? I'm really not understanding your stance here.

Gonna just play me some infamous on my PC now

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Because you can only have a computer or a console and not both? I'm really not understanding your stance here.

Gonna just play me some infamous on my PC now

No that's just fine. Just don't push your terrible financial decisions on other people like my friend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

No that's just fine. Just don't push your terrible financial decisions on other people like my friend.

The terrible financial decision of buying a console because it's cheaper than a gaming computer and any graphic intensive PC game comes out for it anyway?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

I mean, I’m just saying it’s literally a game owned and funded by the maker of the console. It’s about as likely as Super Mario Bros. to get a PC port.

SMB actually does have a very old PC port. It’s weird as hell.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Look if they don't wanna sell their game without the console I don't need, I'm gonna emulate and play Super Mario on PC and they can't stop me.

You heard me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anyone into PC gaming knows it's a stupid expensive hobby so at the end of the day what's another $200 on a PS4 slim.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Getting stun locked in Monster Hunter World is pretty goddamned infuriating.

bazelgeuce can go gently caress itself too. You'll be fighting a monster when all of a sudden this loving dragon flies up, drops some explosive scales, and one shots you before you can do anything about it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

bazelgeuce can go gently caress itself too. You'll be fighting a monster when all of a sudden this loving dragon flies up, drops some explosive scales, and one shots you before you can do anything about it.

Don't say its name 3 times and you'll be fine.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vic posted:

Look if they don't wanna sell their game without the console I don't need, I'm gonna emulate and play Super Mario on PC and they can't stop me.

You heard me.

Like, that's fine. Whether or not you play the game is literally no skin off my back and weighing options before making a purchasing decision is part of being an adult. Just don't expect it for PC, that's all.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Qwertycoatl posted:

I kind of liked how it was handled in Final Fantasy 3 (the DS version since it's the only version I've played of it) but you'd have a story important 5th character occasionally, who wouldn't be in your party - but would still get involved in combat by randomly attacking/supporting. So you'd just have some dude supporting you who didn't need to be maintained - but they still felt kind of involved in a way.

And I thought it was pretty cool when the mechanic showed up again during the Yokai battle in Bravely Second - who I think was made by the same people that made the DS final fantasies?
I know they made Hero's of Light which is a game I've wanted to try forever.

4 on the other hand was a bit trickier because I know you can get those special skill items - and I think it's possible to give them to a character that leaves and lose them forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Confusingly for FFIV remake you absolutely want to put these permanently loseable character upgrade items on characters who leave the party permanently because the game compensates you if you do that by giving you extremely powerful ones.

So it is a neat double trap system, if you played FFIV before youre bound not to put them on characters who leave so youll never get the good stuff and if you dont know and get those items its very likely youll put them onto the next character who leaves your party thus losing that reward forever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Gone back to get the rest of the exploration done in Pandora's Tower - I replayed a few of the towers with the Crimson Key, and now I'm going back to finally do the rest, just 2 more before the Towers of Dawn and Dusk, which I'll probably chapter select to after beating and use the lack of a time limit to explore for any missing texts in those 2 because they are a pain in the rear end. The thing is I don't like how long it takes for Elena to translate a batch of texts - going into the towers to pass time seemed to help, but she has held onto one of the three she is currently working on since before the post-game and still seems nowhere closer, with these new ones being found behind the red doors. It just feels that it takes too long because you get no indication of how long it will take.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thinking Bloodborne (and other titles) will escape PlayStation is pretty far-loving-fetched but who cares if a person doesn't want to buy a console? If they've already got a gaming platform with an enormous backlog and have no interest in buying another thing to game on, why bother trying to convince them otherwise?

Anywyas PYF little thing dragging down a game: replaying Mario RPG, and I'm trying to do a low level run since even a bit of grinding lets you just steam roll over any challenge... hit a roadblock with Jonathabmn Jones, though, because I forgot that halfway through the fight he challenges Mario to a 1 on 1 duel after boosting his defenses and if you lose it's a game over.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't have many complaints about it, but in Yakuza Kiwami, guns are annoying to deal with because getting shot knocks you down, and you have to hammer X in order to stand back up They're generally rare and always killable in a single combo, so generally it's pretty intense to hunt down the gunman and get off the kill combo before his friends gang up on you. It also usually nets you a gun with four shots, so sometimes it's even a good thing.

Until they made a boss who fights primarily with guns and has two giant-rear end health bars and can also nail you while you're 90 degrees to the side of him. Hope you like hammering X for 90% of the fight motherfucker.

Blind Sally posted:

Anywyas PYF little thing dragging down a game: replaying Mario RPG, and I'm trying to do a low level run since even a bit of grinding lets you just steam roll over any challenge... hit a roadblock with Jonathabmn Jones, though, because I forgot that halfway through the fight he challenges Mario to a 1 on 1 duel after boosting his defenses and if you lose it's a game over.

You probably know already but just in case, he only challenges you to go 1v1 if you kill all of his cronies, so as long as you always let one live, he'll never challenge you to a duel. It's dishonourable though :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh, lol, for serious? haha, that's hilarious and i can't believe i've missed that after all this time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

Confusingly for FFIV remake you absolutely want to put these permanently loseable character upgrade items on characters who leave the party permanently because the game compensates you if you do that by giving you extremely powerful ones.

So it is a neat double trap system, if you played FFIV before youre bound not to put them on characters who leave so youll never get the good stuff and if you dont know and get those items its very likely youll put them onto the next character who leaves your party thus losing that reward forever.

It's an awful, game guide super secret hinty sort of system that made me hate the DS remake of IV. IIRC it's straight up impossible to get them all without multiple play throughs. But after so many the game doesn't carry them all over anyway just because gently caress you? Also the DS remake made a lot of mid to late-game encounters super long and tedious if you weren't min-maxing.

Blind Sally posted:

oh, lol, for serious? haha, that's hilarious and i can't believe i've missed that after all this time.

It's the old trick of killing all but one and the boss won't do it's gimmick poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

It's the old trick of killing all but one and the boss won't do it's gimmick poo poo.

I'm reminded of Iron Claw in FFV :v: