Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GrandpaPants posted:

Nerd culture is desperate for validation despite being mainstream as gently caress now.

How about this - if it's mainstream it can't be nerd culture, because nerd culture is intrinsically obscurist. It's just pop culture.

(Is this what the kids are calling "a hot take"?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CommonShore posted:

How about this - if it's mainstream it can't be nerd culture, because nerd culture is intrinsically obscurist. It's just pop culture.

(Is this what the kids are calling "a hot take"?)

I'm going to defer to this guy because he is clearly a huge fuckin nerd

Barudak
May 7, 2007

80% of adults 35 and under report having at least one "geeky" hobby so yeah, its just mainstream culture now, sorry.

Big Bang is still on TV because my spouse fuckin loves it. Please feel free to blame them for all other trash on network television because I guarantee they fuckin love it.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

londonarbuckle posted:

I'm pretty sure Big Bang Theory's entire audience are boomers whose children are nerds.

my parents used to watch it every week, and, well, I’m their child lol

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
My parents keep BBT on way too much, and I swear the only time I've ever seen any Latino folks on it was when a pair of night janitors came across Sheldon when he was sleeping in the cafeteria.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Somehow I found out from my dad watching that stupid show that it's on for FOUR hours a day. One hour on the CBS local channel and then three hours on TBS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's just what cable is now. You should see Cartoon Network. Or Nickelodeon.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It's not really that egregious and probably has been mentioned, but Frisky Dingo is awesome in that it has deliberately blatant product placement for a car marque that doesn't exist anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rirse posted:

Somehow I found out from my dad watching that stupid show that it's on for FOUR hours a day. One hour on the CBS local channel and then three hours on TBS.

Syfy used to run 4 hours of Stargate on Mondays.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

Syfy used to run 4 hours of Stargate on Mondays.

That's 6 days too short

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The guy who runs the till at a comic shop I go to says Funkopops on the whole are on their way out, having been demoted to half a shelf, and I want this to be true.

I hate funkopops because they hedge their bets and make figures from every licence. Does anyone remember the game Evolve? Yes even that flop got funkopops. I hate these things for being ugly artless lumps of plastic made with a surface-level understanding of the licence. There's one of Morty Smith holding the seeds he has to put up his butt, which is weak since that was one scene in the pilot episode years ago.

I can appreciate a Vader T-shirt or a Beeping Triforce keychain because those can be used as normal objects

/derail

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you want to make yourself sick, walk down the Valentine's day aisle at CVS and look at the piles and piles of crap being made from the finite resources of the planet.

Captain Planet hasn't aged well, because it's clear he lost on basically every front. Hatred and capitalism win, forever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The guy who runs the till at a comic shop I go to says Funkopops on the whole are on their way out, having been demoted to half a shelf, and I want this to be true.

I hate funkopops because they hedge their bets and make figures from every licence. Does anyone remember the game Evolve? Yes even that flop got funkopops. I hate these things for being ugly artless lumps of plastic made with a surface-level understanding of the licence. There's one of Morty Smith holding the seeds he has to put up his butt, which is weak since that was one scene in the pilot episode years ago.

I can appreciate a Vader T-shirt or a Beeping Triforce keychain because those can be used as normal objects

/derail

Counterpoint:
https://www.bigapplecollectibles.com/products/jurassic-park-funko-pop-dr-ian-malcolm-injured-pre-order?variant=4880940531753

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I remember 'watching' an episode of BBT (my dad likes it, he watches tv in the kitchen, I was cooking) and the whole premise was that a new hot blonde girl moved into the apartment building and now all the nerd boys were paying attention to HER and not the other blonde girl and old blonde girl was jealous and hated the other girl for taking away her nerd boy attention!

It was loving vile and I can't get this stupid episode of a show I've never watched out of my head because I hate it so much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I remember 'watching' an episode of BBT (my dad likes it, he watches tv in the kitchen, I was cooking) and the whole premise was that a new hot blonde girl moved into the apartment building and now all the nerd boys were paying attention to HER and not the other blonde girl and old blonde girl was jealous and hated the other girl for taking away her nerd boy attention!

It was loving vile and I can't get this stupid episode of a show I've never watched out of my head because I hate it so much.

No, no it's OK because she actually was taking advantage of them so it's fine and not a boring stereotype at all :downs:

Although I did genuinely like little moments of cultural osmosis where Penny occasionally shows she does occasionally pay some attention. Like the first episode with Zack, where they shoot the laser at the moon, and Penny has a little moment of excitement alongside the boys while Zack remains unimpressed. While the overall show was pretty poor I liked aspects of it's characterisation, like that Raj gets over his shyness in one of the earlier series.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
BBT is full of weird low level sexism and racism, and almost all of it is couched with this veil of detachment. Like a character tells a woman to get back to the kitchen and an another character says "well, that's hell of a thing to say." Or makes a joke about the Indian guy working a call centre, and he'll say "that's racist but also most of my extended family do work for dell."

Its an intensely odd thing and I'm sure there's a fancy name for it. I guess its just a variation on lampshading?

There's also a shocking amount of inter-group bullying and toxic macho bullshit for a show about nerds interacting with each other.

Also this isn't a wider criticism, but there's a point in an episode where one character says "Well, I'm trying to play Mario Kart on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator" and the audience laughs riotously like its a joke rather than just words with the cadence of a joke being said by the bazinga man.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't like the King of the Hill episode where the real Rusty Shackleford shows up and tells Dale to stop using his name

that's an example I always give of ruining a running gag by overdoing it

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Also Two and a Half Men was one of the worst shows television has ever seen I don't get how it was popular to make Chuck Lorre the god-king of tv comedy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
BBT will live on through the tears of its detractors. The Dominic Deegan effect.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BBT is going to go down in history as one of the greatest shows ever created and be hailed as a timeless classic. Future generations will praise it's inclusiveness and hold it up as a time capsule of our current generation. It's going to be the "I Love Lucy" or "Mash" of our times.

And it's loving hilarious seeing people get mad about that.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
before Sheldon made it cool to be a nerd, I was afraid to talk about Star Wars in irl life

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always find it hilarious how the George Lucas movies have become such a corner stone of nerd stuff, because I couldn't give less of a gently caress about them. I've seen the first 6 Star Wars movies once each, and have no remembrance of much of either trilogy, and have barely seen the Indiana Jones movies. I just don't find them that interesting, despite the quality of cinematography or writing. There are just other movies I prefer to watch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Movie not to my tastes, says Digimon fan.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Beachcomber posted:

If you want to make yourself sick, walk down the Valentine's day aisle at CVS and look at the piles and piles of crap being made from the finite resources of the planet.

Captain Planet hasn't aged well, because it's clear he lost on basically every front. Hatred and capitalism win, forever.

i bet the love life of this guy who came into the old tv thread to bitch about valentines day is really good & healthy lmfao

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find it hilarious how the George Lucas movies have become such a corner stone of nerd stuff, because I couldn't give less of a gently caress about them. I've seen the first 6 Star Wars movies once each, and have no remembrance of much of either trilogy, and have barely seen the Indiana Jones movies. I just don't find them that interesting, despite the quality of cinematography or writing. There are just other movies I prefer to watch.

I too am very cool and don't like the thing other people like. Instead I like other, cooler thing that most people don't like. It's funny to me how I am also very cool and different from everyone else. I don't really care though, I just think it's funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

purple death ray posted:

I too am very cool and don't like the thing other people like. Instead I like other, cooler thing that most people don't like. It's funny to me how I am also very cool and different from everyone else. I don't really care though, I just think it's funny.

I'm not trying to do that, it's just there are other movies that are also considered classics, like the Godfather movies or Jaws, that are mentioned and referenced but rarely with the same fervour. I guess the aforementioned trilogies just had really lucky timing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not trying to do that, it's just there are other movies that are also considered classics, like the Godfather movies or Jaws, that are mentioned and referenced but rarely with the same fervour. I guess the aforementioned trilogies just had really lucky timing.

Yeah, timing, you cracked the case. You've solved the mystery good job

Here's something that hasn't aged well

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Solice Kirsk posted:

BBT is going to go down in history as one of the greatest shows ever created and be hailed as a timeless classic. Future generations will praise it's inclusiveness and hold it up as a time capsule of our current generation. It's going to be the "I Love Lucy" or "Mash" of our times.

And it's loving hilarious seeing people get mad about that.

I don't think it's going to age well. Most of the jokes revolve around disposable pop culture, so someone born in 20 years isn't going to be able to understand half the references. There will be a generation of grandparents laughing their asses off at it, while their grandkids look confused.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

I feel this way too, but I try to avoid sounding so misanthropic when I express it.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

SEX BURRITO posted:

I don't think it's going to age well. Most of the jokes revolve around disposable pop culture, so someone born in 20 years isn't going to be able to understand half the references. There will be a generation of grandparents laughing their asses off at it, while their grandkids look confused.

Big Bang Theory is going to be the Love Boat of this generation. Lowest common denominator tv nobody will remember outside of vague pop culture references.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SEX BURRITO posted:

Au contraire, there will be a generation of smug future hipster laughing at it and at boring normies who don't have a treasure trove of forgettable early 2000's pop culture bouncing around their heads.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SEX BURRITO posted:

They recently did an episode that revolved around Bitcoin.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Not Operator posted:

BBT is full of weird low level sexism and racism
So it's very progressive by the standards of modern America?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My parents have recommended BBT to me many times and I've had a few tries at it, but it just isn't funny to me. I don't see the appeal. My parents' friends all like it as well, and I remember asking, "What do you enjoy about it?" and they all said, "Sheldon - he's quirky." and that was it. :shrug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wheat Loaf posted:

My parents have recommended BBT to me many times and I've had a few tries at it, but it just isn't funny to me. I don't see the appeal. My parents' friends all like it as well, and I remember asking, "What do you enjoy about it?" and they all said, "Sheldon - he's quirky." and that was it. :shrug:

I remember a blurb about the show before it first aired: "Two scientists' lives are changed when a pretty girl moves in across the hall from them".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember asking, "What do you enjoy about it?" and they all said, "Sheldon - he's quirky." and that was it. :shrug:

I've only ever caught the show in passing, but the one thing which caught my eye about Sheldon was just how much of an unrepentant, nasty piece of poo poo he was.

Second was that he actually says, "Bazinga." I thought that was a joke made up to mock the show.

The most I can say for the show is that it's generic pabulum people can have going in the background and it doesn't really matter if they miss part of the episode (or even entire episodes) because it's all just so cookie cutter that it doesn't matter.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

sheldon started off as an intentionally grating character, basically the villain of the show a lot of the time. the audience loved him for whatever bizarre reason and so he became an extremely irritating character that you are nevertheless supposed to root for

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mister Kingdom posted:

They recently did an episode that revolved around Bitcoin.

Hey kids, remember when I was telling you about how I lost your college funds? *points excitedly at the screen* This was it! This was the thing!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not Operator posted:

BBT is full of weird low level sexism and racism, and almost all of it is couched with this veil of detachment. Like a character tells a woman to get back to the kitchen and an another character says "well, that's hell of a thing to say." Or makes a joke about the Indian guy working a call centre, and he'll say "that's racist but also most of my extended family do work for dell."

Its an intensely odd thing and I'm sure there's a fancy name for it. I guess its just a variation on lampshading?

There's also a shocking amount of inter-group bullying and toxic macho bullshit for a show about nerds interacting with each other.

Also this isn't a wider criticism, but there's a point in an episode where one character says "Well, I'm trying to play Mario Kart on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator" and the audience laughs riotously like its a joke rather than just words with the cadence of a joke being said by the bazinga man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-hOigoxHs&t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ryonguy posted:

Big Bang Theory is going to be the Love Boat of this generation. Lowest common denominator tv nobody will remember outside of vague pop culture references.

I'm not going to really defend the Love Boat here, but when I'm cooking on Sundays it's on my TV. It's not good, and it's sappy, but it's light and I don't have to pay attention.

The thing that amazes me about it is just how many actors have graced the Love Boat. A couple weeks ago I saw Jessica Walter on it in a plot about opioid addiction.