Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The NBA also has generally a lot less upsets in the playoffs. You can get in and do some damage in the NHL but in the NBA you're not doing poo poo if you're not an elite team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

The Cavs got headlines because Lebron is also the GM and coach of the Cavs, and the NBA needs stories beyond "Golden State is going to destroy everyone again". Trades are big, yeah, but trades just for the sake of trades aren't really going to do much.

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/963117919184932864

So yeah flyers probably aren't doing much for the deadline

I miss Holmgren and his insane trades

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

I miss Holmgren and his insane trades

Ghost for Karlson.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ghost for Karlson.

christ, he would have 100% done this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

It's 2 weeks until the NHL trade deadline and the 31 teams in the league have completed 20 trades involving players who have appeared in the NHL this season since the season began. Of those 20, only 10 have included players who appear in their NHL lineups regularly. Of those 10, only 3 involved players that play above the 4th line/bottom pairing/backup position.

They claimed that the lack of trades was due to the looming expansion draft last year. What's their excuse this year because this GM inertia sucks. The NHL seems to be the only league that totally fails to recognize the incredible free advertising the excitement around big trades brings. The Cavs going nuts at the deadline was front page news and probably resulted in several million additional viewers for their next couple games. Why doesn't the NHL actively encourage things like that?

Every team has gotten super protective of their picks and prospects and no one wants to gently caress up a trade so the market has dried up compared to what it used to be. The fear of the salary cap and getting trapped into a bad situation seems to be loving with GMs minds.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

Have they always played this under Trotz and I just didn't pay attention? Seriously that's one of my/the criticisms of AV is that he runs this kind of man on man style defense that when it works it can work really well but is just hard to play and have everyone on the same page at the same time so it often breaks down with a bunch of guys looking around trying to figure out where they should go

It's freaking me out that all the criticism of the Caps coaching is basically word for word my criticism of AV's coaching :tinfoil:

Nope. In fact this is a return to the Oates/Hunter years. Like someone else mentioned it can be extremely effective when everyone is on the same page but too often results in long possessions and egregious defensive breakdowns. I’m totally putting words into Trotz’s mouth but it feels like “this is playoff hockey, boys - If we play this way now we’ll be ready in April.” I just think it’s bad hockey.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ginette Reno posted:

I miss Holmgren and his insane trades and offer sheets

fixed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/963140576819507201

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/963141033046499330

He only sent one, near as I can recall.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
You make piddling little moves at the deadline and it doesn't move the needle (See: Mike Weber, Tim Gleason, Curtis Glencross) or you try for a home run and, if you're the Capitals, whiff horribly. (See: Shattenkirk, Erat).

There have been just a couple deadline trades since the lockout I haven't totally hated. Wideman came pretty cheap. Watching Sergei Federov and Ovi was pretty cool too.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Glencross should have worked out better than it did. It's like the guy didn't start sucking until he got to DC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DJExile posted:

Vegas games sound like a hoot

The one game I've been to (granted, my only major sporting event, so I'm biased) was a massive loving hoot, yeah. More energy than I've ever seen anywhere or heard of in a stadium.

I hope I can go to a playoff game someday

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Ciaphas posted:

I hope I can go to a playoff game someday

It’ll be years before Vegas even comes close to making the playoffs with that roster.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

i am the bird posted:

It’ll be years before Vegas even comes close to making the playoffs with that roster.

:lol: Sbisa instead of Gaunce?! What IS McPhee doing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

They're basically a lock to make it this year. They probably won't get out of the first round because there's no real top line and a lot of their success is in their ability to just destroy lower lines of teams, but they're pretty much already in, barring an absolutely massive collapse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

They're basically a lock to make it this year. They probably won't get out of the first round because there's no real top line and a lot of their success is in their ability to just destroy lower lines of teams, but they're pretty much already in, barring an absolutely massive collapse.

woosh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i am the bird posted:

not being a sports guy it took me a minute to realize this was a whoosh post :v:

I AM legit curious how they'll do in the postseason assuming they make it, though. They sure as hell monstered every prediction in the book thus far.

also oh god upper bowl center ice tickets in the playoffs are gonna be like $500 aren't they :(

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Tailored Sauce posted:

NYR/Hartford Wolfpack is gonna make the playoffs

I’ll be honest, even though I’m all-in for the fire sale and potential tank, and want the Rangers to sell off anything not nailed down.....there’s still a part of me that’s happy to see them winning lately and hope they drag a half-Wolfpack team into the playoffs, just to “see what happens”

Then I saw that if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year then that means ticket prices will stay the same for next year so TANK! TANK! TANK!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I AM legit curious how they'll do in the postseason assuming they make it, though. They sure as hell monstered every prediction in the book thus far.

Considering they're as close to a lock for the playoffs as you can be without being an actual mathematical certainty at this point, I think you can breathe easy. Who knows how they'll do. They'll likely end up finishing in one of the top spots in the West and playing a WC team which is currently a toss up between a bunch of teams it's hard to say. They'd probably walk all over a team like Calgary or Anaheim, but a team like Dallas with their offense or LA with their depth could cause them trouble.

Hockey is a lot more reliant on luck than most other sports, so the playoffs often come down to which relatively healthy team gets the hottest goaltending.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ll be honest, even though I’m all-in for the fire sale and potential tank, and want the Rangers to sell off anything not nailed down.....there’s still a part of me that’s happy to see them winning lately and hope they drag a half-Wolfpack team into the playoffs, just to “see what happens”

Then I saw that if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year then that means ticket prices will stay the same for next year so TANK! TANK! TANK!

Team probably isn't going to tank far enough to get a legit shot at Dahlen or a top 3 pick but people are gonna be so pissed off when they end up in the 15-ish range

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

DJExile posted:

christ, he would have 100% done this

And it would have been a great deal for the Flyers and a pretty good deal for the Sens. Whatever a team would be willing to pay to get Crosby, Malkin, or McDavid for 2 years should be what they're willing to pay to get Karlsson for 2 years.

He's suffered a bit this year due to a quick turnaround from offseason surgery, but a big part of his bad numbers this year are the result of a terrible PDO. You just have to look at the playoffs last year to see what a team would be getting if they traded for him - the Sens were bottom-tier trash in the 30 minutes/game he sat on the bench, but looked like a legitimate cup threat when he was on the ice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poo poo :saddowns:

bub spank posted:

And it would have been a great deal for the Flyers and a pretty good deal for the Sens. Whatever a team would be willing to pay to get Crosby, Malkin, or McDavid for 2 years should be what they're willing to pay to get Karlsson for 2 years.

He's suffered a bit this year due to a quick turnaround from offseason surgery, but a big part of his bad numbers this year are the result of a terrible PDO. You just have to look at the playoffs last year to see what a team would be getting if they traded for him - the Sens were bottom-tier trash in the 30 minutes/game he sat on the bench, but looked like a legitimate cup threat when he was on the ice.

I was going to point to his age but apparently he's only 27? Sumbitch I was certain he was over 30 by this point.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bub spank posted:

Yeah, you take a trade like that and you run far to the hills.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bub spank posted:

That’s not how pdo works!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Btw RAS, OldSenileGuy and I met up during Lowtax's goon meet thing and thought it might not be a bad idea to do a RAS Goonmeet somewhere at a Rangers' bar in NYC. If there is any interest in going out for some beers and watching the game, maybe we can plan something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lmao Kampfer has a broken hand and is out 4-6 weeks so now the Rangers called up Ryan Sproul

Their defense is

Skjei
Holden
Gilmore
Pionk
Sproul
DeAngelo

lol

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Aphrodite posted:

That’s not how pdo works!

I meant his bad +/- and his lack of points. He's got a 7.7% rel corsi this year (almost 4% higher than any other regular Sens skater), but the goalies have been sieves and pucks aren't going in when he's on the ice.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 13, 2018

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Levitate posted:

lmao Kampfer has a broken hand and is out 4-6 weeks so now the Rangers called up Ryan Sproul

Their defense is

Skjei
Holden
Gilmore
Pionk
Sproul
DeAngelo

lol

So who subs in when Holden gets traded? Can Bereglazov come back?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tailored Sauce posted:

Btw RAS, OldSenileGuy and I met up during Lowtax's goon meet thing and thought it might not be a bad idea to do a RAS Goonmeet somewhere at a Rangers' bar in NYC. If there is any interest in going out for some beers and watching the game, maybe we can plan something.

I'm down.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only trade that ever mattered is that someone gave Tyler Seguin to Dallas and thought that was a really smart move at the time.

loving :lol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Surely that guy is out of the league now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's going to be funny when the Rangers defense is serviceable when it's mostly AHL guys who can move.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

So who subs in when Holden gets traded? Can Bereglazov come back?

I wonder...can't remember if he'd have to go through waivers or not

Graves would probably be the next one up.

Zodijackylite posted:

It's going to be funny when the Rangers defense is serviceable when it's mostly AHL guys who can move.

A team of Adam Clendenning's

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

Their defense is

Skjei
Holden
Gilmore
Pionk
Sproul
DeAngelo

lol

Some of these names were surely picked out of a bag of Scrabble tiles

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pionk is really more of an onomatopoeia

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Levitate posted:

Pionk is really more of an onomatopoeia

The animal that makes that sound is either adorable or terrifying.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Levitate posted:

Their defense is

Skjei
Holden
Gilmore
Pionk
Sproul
DeAngelo

lol

I didn’t even realize Ryan Sproul didn’t play for Detroit anymore. Would the Rangers like any more of their useless defensemen? Detroit has a bunch!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

i am the bird posted:

I didn’t even realize Ryan Sproul didn’t play for Detroit anymore. Would the Rangers like any more of their useless defensemen? Detroit has a bunch!

I think they traded for him just to get an AHL defensemen and then everyone got hurt and blah blah blah surely this time Sproul will make his mark in the NHL

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
This is a weird question. But I am wondering who is the most surprising player who is still playing. Like, a dude you haven't thought of in years, and then bam, they're still inexplicably in the NHL. The two names that come to mind for me are Ales Hemsky and Marian Gaborik. I think Peter Budaj also counts.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

This is a weird question. But I am wondering who is the most surprising player who is still playing. Like, a dude you haven't thought of in years, and then bam, they're still inexplicably in the NHL. The two names that come to mind for me are Ales Hemsky and Marian Gaborik. I think Peter Budaj also counts.

daniel winnik and in a year or two vrbata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think its Beauchemin for me

• Locked thread