Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
2018 Audi Q5 Quattro review (rental from Silvercar):
Drives awesome. Great power and handling. Sure footed in snow conditions. Interior is comfortable.

Infotainment system is a pox on humanity. That tablet sized screen that juts up from the dash really ought to be touchscreen. The wheel clicker thing in front of the shifter sucked rear end.

Sounded good, thou.

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

As for bluetooth, I put one of these in my ls and it works flawlessly. It should work on the navigation model as well.

Oh poo poo thanks for that, looks perfect.

The Adroid tablet thing isn't made for an LS it appears, but I don't know If I'd trust it compared to OEM. I still have regular buttons for climate control and should probably keep it that way lol.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just took home the cheeseburger and roasted potatoes from the bar down the street. I need some goons to visit me b/c I legit think this is the best $9.99 you can spend in America. Also real talk I keep looking at myself in the mirror worried I just got fat. I wish I was joking

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Where is this glorious establishment

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Where is this glorious establishment

Actually in the town Lowtax got his name from (feel free to pm me)

Edit: any goon who visits me this meal is paid for by me and I would love to see any other contenders (for best $10 meal). I have many pics but for the life of me I don’t know an easy way to post mobile even with Plat

everdave fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 13, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
imgur is the only way I know of

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I told my coworkers today so I guess now I get to make an official internet announcement:
My spawn will soon be crawling the earth. She will be vicious and relentless and her wrath shall be unending.
You should be very afraid.

Also, I'm hitting a 1/3rd life (tho judging by family history its by all rights mid-life) crisis and decided I really need to be a DJ.
I'm trying to pick up this so I can start dropping fat beats.

Incidentally if anyone here wants a moderately overpriced vintage Hi-Fi setup for $600, I've got a deal for you!
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/vintage-hi-fi-setup/6494686122.html

everdave posted:

I just took home the cheeseburger and roasted potatoes from the bar down the street. I need some goons to visit me b/c I legit think this is the best $9.99 you can spend in America. Also real talk I keep looking at myself in the mirror worried I just got fat. I wish I was joking

You know we have a burger thread rite?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 13, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hell no I didn’t will report in tomorrow at work

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

everdave posted:

Hell no I didn’t will report in tomorrow at work

:patriot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

I spent $1,200 on a device that probably has double the hardware :awesome:

Hey guys am I late to the dick measuring contest? :v:

Darchangel posted:

Just randomly Googled 2005, and it's 16 City/20 highway. Looks like same from 2001-06. '07 went up 2 MPG on the highway.
My Crown Vic is 18/25, so... yeah.

Hah, Trailblazer is 16/21. Might as well step up to the Tahoe.

That's... a lot better than I thought. I'm used to hearing low double digits all the way around on those, but I haven't actually looked at one since the mid 90s. :downsgun:

The Trailblazer isn't exactly the most reliable thing GM ever put out, but the V8s move pretty drat well (especially the SS with the LS2, but those are pretty drat rare), and the I6 is still pretty stout. I kinda like them.

Darchangel posted:

2007-up get better gas mileage thanks to cylinder deactivation

Aren't those prone to lifter issues?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, but you can swap out the cam and lifters and tune it for non cylinder deactivation. And get bonus power too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Very true, was just going in assuming it would remain stock, since it'll likely be his wife-mobile.

Since the mileage is pushing 20 highway, I might actually consider one of those rolling shipping containers for another car. Work car would probably remain the Saturd as long as it keeps running, since it's still giving ~27ish on delivery tanks.
Highway has dropped to 30-32 though, used to be able to do a solid 34-35 on highway tanks... it's time for new plugs (they have a hair over 100k), a fuel filter, and still has the original O2 sensor at 198k.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My avalanche was rated 19 highway. If I had the bed panels on, cruised at 55 and had a bit of a tailwind, it'd stay at 22/23. In reality I was lucky to hit 18 mpg most of the time highway driving it. The lovely gas mileage was legitimately half of the reason I sold it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 13, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wait when did you change your username back? I kinda liked CPP. :saddowns:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It got old. And I'm really dumb and kept getting mixed up when looking for old posts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Man, Frontier doesn't gently caress around with getting their first bill out, do they? I've been on them 6 1/2 days as of right now.

I'm already annoyed with the billing. "Equipment delivery and handling fee: $9.99", on top of the $75 install charge (I get the install fee, you have to roll a truck and that costs money). I'm not using any of their equipment; I had the install tech enable the ethernet port on the ONT (which is owned by the apt complex), and he didn't leave the "modem" (really, MoCA adapter+router+wifi combo bastard box that I really loving hate, hence enabling the gigabit port on the ONT). I also specifically asked during signup if there would be any other fees and was told no. :argh: Why didn't they just charge it as an $85 install fee instead of $75, and why am I paying a "equipment delivery fee" when I specifically requested that they enable the ONT's network jack? :fuckoff:

e: meanwhile, Spectrum has locked out my account, so I can't pay my final balance online. Called them during the day, they said I need to wait for a paper bill before I can pay it.

tl;dr lovely company 1, meet lovely company 2. Now shake hands while your hands are covered in poo poo, and make it a 3 way handshake with your mutual customer, and while you're at it, shove said poo poo-covered hands into your customer's mouth

e423679237: anyone need a 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem? :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 13, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Was absolutely convinced I fell asleep after my alarm, got up and ready and was 20min earlier than usual. So I splurged on breakfast at the awful waffle.

How's everyone's Tuesday?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Excited to have some in person job interviews lined up. One is even on days, and both companies are rated higher than my last.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Tuesday is a day. Another full day of training on my new toy at work.

Made the mistake of taking an adderall yesterday thinking I'd need it, since it was likely to be a stressful day. Instead I got it all easy as poo poo, and went home with that poo poo still running wild.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Got home from work an hour ago and am going to smoke some weed and sleep while you dirty day walkers go about your lives.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I totally phoned it in at work yesterday so now I have more work to do today!

I'm smart! :downs:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

Awesome. About to go snowboarding with the kid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fermented Tinal posted:

On top of that a bunch of friends of mine are upset about someone I did not like or get along with who died yesterday and they keep pushing me about why I'm not saying nice things about him.

A dude who sexually assaulted one of my exes passed away and like you, people were wondering why I wasn't singing his praises. It's an odd experience.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

everdave posted:

FRIEND NEEDS HELP. Just saw on Facebook. 2011 Chevy Silverado WT 6 cylinder. Won’t start (crank). The shop had it 6 days. They replaced starter and computer (wtf?). Claim battery and grounds all good. I’ll go back and look at what else they tried. Any suggestions fellas?

Also taking to a different shop tomorrow (I am not nearby or I would be helping)

Edit:
So, in response to your earlier question, here’s what happens..... turn the key to start, all lights , A/C and power comes on (except radio for some reason). You turn the key to crank/start...nothing, no click, no whir, nothing but the the dash lights will go down for a second as if it’s cold cranking but then will come up again.
Sometimes, a minute after all that and keeping the key in “on” position, the radio will suddenly work and then it will start just fine. ...but not all the time. It’s random.

Edit 2:

here are just a few of the things we know it’s not:

1). Passlock
2) fuses and relays (all check out)
3). Starter (replaced)
4) Body Control module (computer, replaced)
5) Brake Safety Start Protection switch (also replaced)
6) wiring loom terminal connections (checked and cleaned)

Throwing parts at it isn't how to diagnose this. Something has to send power to the starter so you trace the wires themselves back to the component that is not sending it.

I mean, step 1 would be to put a multimeter on the starter terminal and see if it's getting power. OR put power to the starter terminal and make sure the new starter works and isn't dead out of the box. Should have done that on the old starter first.

Like enourmo said, starter circuits aren't exactly complicated. Immobilizers and safety switches do complicate them but still. Does that car have a park/neutral lockout switch? Try starting it in neutral and/or testing that switch as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Your narrative is consistent and I agree with it.
Only car that appeals to me now is a 997 turbo or out of reach super cars.
I think that's my problem. Everything I'd consider in my price range is boring and feels like a horrible appliance. Everything I've driven from the past decade that I like is expensive. I talked myself out of the volt pretty quickly and will probably just continue driving the TDI until it returns to the earth.

At almost the halfway point February is going good. Old house is sold, as of yesterday, and I got a promotion that went into effect a couple days ago. Looks like I'll be able to get back to race car stuff soon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I talked myself out of the volt pretty quickly and will probably just continue driving the TDI until it returns to the earth.

The body/chassis will.

The engine will live on. TDI Lyfe.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Where can I recycle gas? I've got about 15-20 gallons i need to get rid of and refresh before next hurricane season.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mr-Spain posted:

Where can I recycle gas? I've got about 15-20 gallons i need to get rid of and refresh before next hurricane season.

Does your city or county have a hazmat collection center?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr-Spain posted:

Burn pile. Duh.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Burn pile. Duh.

Wish I had one!

Good call on hazmat.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Throwing parts at it isn't how to diagnose this. Something has to send power to the starter so you trace the wires themselves back to the component that is not sending it.

I mean, step 1 would be to put a multimeter on the starter terminal and see if it's getting power. OR put power to the starter terminal and make sure the new starter works and isn't dead out of the box. Should have done that on the old starter first.

Like enourmo said, starter circuits aren't exactly complicated. Immobilizers and safety switches do complicate them but still. Does that car have a park/neutral lockout switch? Try starting it in neutral and/or testing that switch as well.

You are absolutely right, apparently this has turned into a poo poo show.

Trying in neutral has no differences, same odds of starting or not.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr-Spain posted:

Just open the container and it will magically disappear!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Turns out the county takes it a couple miles away. No charge. Works for me!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

The body/chassis will.

The engine will live on. TDI Lyfe.
Originally a Wisconsin car until late 2009, some how it has less rust than most of the other MK4's running around town.

I'm really not sure what the hell to do with the Caddy. I might be able to coax the engine into surviving another thousand or two miles before needing to be rebuilt/swapped. Friend from high school and college has a MK4 TDI beetle that runs and drives but he's retired to a field, I can have it for $300 but it is in WI roughly 1k miles away. Not sure if I should sell the Caddy with a bad engine and lose a thousand or fly-n-drive for the beetle to swap it. But even then we have too many vehicles now that we've added the F100 to the fleet.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr-Spain posted:

Wish I had one!

Good call on hazmat.

My in laws have a big rear end one, so it's never a concern.

poo poo, they're still burning hurricane left over damage.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

Was absolutely convinced I fell asleep after my alarm, got up and ready and was 20min earlier than usual. So I splurged on breakfast at the awful waffle.

Literally dying irl

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slurry_curry posted:

So the v8 4runner of that vintage is pretty much just a GX470 without the nice interior/other "luxury" stuff.

All of the lx/gx from that era have the height controlled suspension, which is kind of a downside. Luckily it is ez to swap the system out for normal springs when the air ones inevitably die. I am looking to spend in the $6-10k range personally, which gives plenty of options. I would recommend taking a look at one and see if you can deal with the integrated navigation/hvac controls. I personally hate them, but love the non-nav option, so I am searching for one without it. There are a couple "tesla" style replacements available now for them that are actually getting decent reviews, so at least there are alternatives now.

Glad others agree with me on that. The one that is on the top of my list currently has 225k miles, but was very well maintained. I will take that over a 150k miles and no official history anyday. As long as the motors get a new timing belt/water pump/etc ever ~100k miles they go forever.

Is it still cool to hate lexus cause they are boring grandpa cars? Cause that is the exact reason I love my LS. I really wish the new cars they made didn't all have the stupid front end or else I would think of getting a newer one.

I've always liked at least the LS400, because V8 sedan, and it was hard to argue against the SC, other than we didn't get the manual transmission.
The 2000 LX470 I glanced at on Craigslist didn't have nav, separate double-DIN radio and HVAC controls. I'm betting that issue is the next generation, 2003+. As far as I can tell, Nav is standard in the US 2003+, so good luck.
This guy tried to Kickstart a non-integrated HVAC conversion harness, but ultimately failed. Wow. Toyota really hosed people over on that.

Enourmo posted:

They replaced those before the ignition switch? And that didn't fix it? Starter circuit isn't exactly complex.

It is on newer cars, with coded keys and such. It's no longer as simple as turn key -> 12V to starter, maybe through a relay. Now it all goes through a computer that has to decide if it likes the key or not.

slurry_curry posted:

I think it was this one. There was a thread discussing it on some lexus forum and a gx470 group on facebook, that I of course can't find now. The one guy who bought one and installed it says everything works great. Its not a bad solution if you have the nav system and the screen gives out or something, because its def cheaper than replacing the stock setup. I just really like the style/layout of the non-nav system in my ls430. super simple and intuitive.

Ouch, that's expensive. And also out of stock. I doubt it would play well with my iPhone, either. Still neat.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's... a lot better than I thought. I'm used to hearing low double digits all the way around on those, but I haven't actually looked at one since the mid 90s. :downsgun:
The pre-2000 (pre-LSx) models have terrible gas mileage.

quote:

The Trailblazer isn't exactly the most reliable thing GM ever put out, but the V8s move pretty drat well (especially the SS with the LS2, but those are pretty drat rare), and the I6 is still pretty stout. I kinda like them.
Yeah, the only real complaint I've heard, aside form just being GM, is the goofy electric-actuated mechanical fan clutch. Why they didn't just use an electric fan is beyond me because GM.

quote:

Aren't those prone to lifter issues?
No idea. still researching options. Now leaning toward the Lexus/Toyota because of you guys. I'm really liking the selections in that space.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Very true, was just going in assuming it would remain stock, since it'll likely be his wife-mobile.

It will remain as stock as necessary, but if it's out of warranty, there's no reason not to mod it provided reliability is not negatively affected. For one thing, almost anything with a V8 will likely *need* to have it's exhaust modified, if you get my drift.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
A wild $915 charge appears for Saks Fifth Ave!

Fraud is fun. My server for dinner on Saturday is apparently a thief. Damnit. Must've grabbed the number while running my card for food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

A wild $915 charge appears for Saks Fifth Ave!

Fraud is fun. My server for dinner on Saturday is apparently a thief. Damnit. Must've grabbed the number while running my card for food.

it probably could have happened anywhere, even the equifax breach included cc numbers on top of all the rest of the personal data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tuesday chat: Building a desktop machine for the President of the company. Everyone else in the company has a Dell, Lenovo, or Apple laptop. This guy? He ordered not just an iMac, not just a 27" iMac, but a 27" iMac *Pro*.
For those not versed in Apple, this is the machine intended for video professionals and/or high-end photo Photoshop work, or other demanding computational tasks. The base model that he got has an 8-core 3.2 MHz Intel Xeon, 8 GB Radeon Pro Vega 56 video card, 5k display, and 32 GB of RAM. It also costs $5000.
Man, his spreadsheets are going to run really fast.

RHIP, but it irritates me that he gets all this horsepower that he'll never use, and likely bought it simply because it's Space Grey rather than the standard Apple silver aluminum. Appearance and perception.

• Locked thread