Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Aren't we NATO commandos not rag tag mercenaries? If we're politically untouchable as is imagine what will happen if we start selling guns on the black market to fund ourselves.

True, but funding is iffy for us right now and selling the crap we don’t need could help us it a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Isn't the money we could make from second-hand arms sales a drop in the bucket compared with what military procurement costs? Unless we're buying equally shady second-hand arms.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Cannibalizing the parts and tires off of the worst-damaged BRDM-2, we can get two functional BRDM-2 hulls once we strip off the busted Strela boxes.

If we pull of the working Strela launcher, we can use it for base defense. We might end up facing baddies with attack helos or something.

The two working hulls could be good heavy weapons platforms.

Adapt one as a mortar carrier for a 60mm or 81-82mm mortar.

And one as a carrier for an HMG or an automatic grenade launcher. Ideally, we'd get a nice thick armored gunshield. I wouldn't put an

The ammo, tripod, and barrels for all that hair is heavy. It takes 3-5 people to work an HMG or a mortar. If we mount it on a BRDM, we can cut that down to 2 people.

The rest of our guys can pile on the BRDMs and bail out before we get into the combat area. And we could stuff extra reloads and grenades in there.

Basically we use them as battle taxis, ammo wagons, and fire support platforms. Best kept at long range from any threats.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
By all means seems like they're semi useful to us and we should definitely keep them unless we can trade them for something better. And in general do we want to sell weapons, keep them to give us some additional options to use presuming selling a 1970's SMG with two clips of ammunition isn't going to get us much more than beer money?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

wedgekree posted:

By all means seems like they're semi useful to us and we should definitely keep them unless we can trade them for something better. And in general do we want to sell weapons, keep them to give us some additional options to use presuming selling a 1970's SMG with two clips of ammunition isn't going to get us much more than beer money?

Keeping the guns is useful for deniable ops, arming militias, planting guns, etc.

And stuff like that Scorpion would be useful if we ever have to do some close protection or undercover work.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So...it sort of seems like these guys are our underfunded predecessors, salvaging and selling whatever loot they could find to make up for budget shortfalls, until things spiralled out of control and they're trying to take over an island to make ends meet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

So...it sort of seems like these guys are our underfunded predecessors, salvaging and selling whatever loot they could find to make up for budget shortfalls, until things spiralled out of control and they're trying to take over an island to make ends meet.

Soo at some point there will be a reverse campaign where we play the mercenaries taking over the island and procuring 1970's Warsaw Pact weapons to do so?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
It's a very convoluted backstory that will take several games to be explained more fully, but the bit currently relevant to our familiar cast of characters can be summarized thus: Icy Hams, Watery Hams, and our own Steamy Hams are all clones of the late Big Pig, a legendary special forces operative and mercenary commander. Watery Hams has been taught some rather baffling ideas about genetics that give him a sense of inferiority compared to his clone-brothers of different matter phase names. He wishes to defeat Steamy Hams in single combat to prove some sort of macho bullshit, because I guess he thinks that's how you get feelings of self-worth.

Something to watch out for, I suppose.

Emy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I like this backstory.

Put me down as David "Boonie" Spare, who is able to sink 52 tinnies on the way back to HQ after a mission.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I like the idea of the mortar BDRM the best if we can drum up a mortar for it. Seems the most sensible but also the most explodish.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
All of these ideas assume engagements on a vastly larger scale in numbers and space. I'm pretty sure we are commandos guys, not a loving Ukrainian milita.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Indirect fire support from an off-map vehicle-mounted mortar is actually pretty neat and has nice fluff.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Also I don’t like how dismissive you’re being of one day becoming a Ukrainian militia. We don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, and if the time comes that it becomes clear that we should become a Ukrainian militia, I say we do it :colbert:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I guess we're taking the vehicles intact to serve as SAM launchers when it's our turn to take over some god forsaken island to serve as our base?

What the hell, sign up Jorji Costava from Cobrastan for your reserve list. You're going to need someone familiar with WarPac gear at this rate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

sign me up as Kendrick Lomarf

i think i got missed :ohdear:

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008
Sign me up as Francois Louis Jean Claude Nicholas Hypolithe de Millon

Jean-Claude to his friends

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think we're getting too far from the small arms combat system.

I'm also wondering if planning is semi pointless since we seem to be able to shoot and get shot in our deployment zone.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

At quick count we have 39 rifles, 12 machine guns, 9 smgs and 2 pistols. Sixty plus grenades and three armoured cars.

We have too much inventory for a small commando unit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kommando posted:

At quick count we have 39 rifles, 12 machine guns, 9 smgs and 2 pistols. Sixty plus grenades and three armoured cars.

We have too much inventory for a small commando unit.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
To be honest, I don't see the point in hoarding all the crap dead enemies drop either.
I came here to read about the adventures of goon squad shooteymans, not military logistics simulator 2018.
Why not just automatically remove whatever the enemies leave behind. Maybe give out extra budget points between deployments or a new shipment of ammo.

Kommando posted:

I'm also wondering if planning is semi pointless since we seem to be able to shoot and get shot in our deployment zone.
We weren't in the deployment zone anymore. We were 40 seconds in when they spotted us! Judging by the team's track record, that's about 2 firefights worth of time spent sneaking around.
On a more serious note, I think the hedgerow/treeline/whatever wasn't as good concealment as was assumed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Pea posted:

To be honest, I don't see the point in hoarding all the crap dead enemies drop either.
I came here to read about the adventures of goon squad shooteymans, not military logistics simulator 2018.
Why not just automatically remove whatever the enemies leave behind. Maybe give out extra budget points between deployments or a new shipment of ammo.

There's potentially tactically interesting discussions to be had regarding the LMGs and GPMGs (lighter guns, heavier ammo, but if you don't really get through more than one reload...?), and the KBKG may have a niche, but I agree we don't need a dozen AKMs and Skorpions gathering dust in the inventory. Turning them into budget points might make a good de-facto "bounty" system, but then we'd have to figure out what a budget point is equivalent to, and how the devil would you value each individual gun?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

There's potentially tactically interesting discussions to be had regarding the LMGs and GPMGs (lighter guns, heavier ammo, but if you don't really get through more than one reload...?), and the KBKG may have a niche, but I agree we don't need a dozen AKMs and Skorpions gathering dust in the inventory. Turning them into budget points might make a good de-facto "bounty" system, but then we'd have to figure out what a budget point is equivalent to, and how the devil would you value each individual gun?

We have Muller for that.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Some kind of friendly auxiliary/militia that totally won't turn on us the moment someone pays them more?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What I want to know is when are we getting airlifted into whatever corporatist sitcom hellhole the hayard guunes are flying in so we can start blowing up coke trucks for burger vouchers

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

0 war crimes so far, you're falling behind people!

please don't tell me that Phoenix has rules for that.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Davin Valkri posted:

Why bother valuing each individual gun? Everything is worth 0 except for a few key items. What those would be up to LatwPIAT of course. Get the mcguffins or fulfill a special objective and a post-mission business proposal magically pops up.

e.g. Mission 2's briefing said the Americans wanted to use São Jorge airport. They could show their appreciation with increased subsidies, weapons at a discount, or we could get a straight +x budget points because the glove compartment in one of the Gaskins contained valuable intel, etc.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Equipping "patriots" is part of a special forces units job.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You want bigger engagement ranges? Supply PIAT with larger maps!

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Pea posted:

This. I assumed that the goons didn't go through the map and hoover up everything in Jagged Alliance style loot runs but that a dedicated cleanup crew was sent in after the op.
We could either just keep weird/interesting things (like the AUG and the KBGK), set guidelines for what we want to keep or PIAT could offer looted guns as bonus procurement options.
Choosing between keeping and upgrading the BRDMs instead of buying more guns would be interesting, for example.

We're a (semi)professional military unit after all and get funding based on results, not mercs who "aquire" equipment by shooting people and taking their stuff.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 13, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pharnakes posted:

Is suppression even modelled in this system? I haven't seen any mention of it.

There are rules for this, but I don't think OP is implementing them.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

PenguinSalsa posted:

We're a (semi)professional military unit after all and get funding based on results, not mercs who "aquire" equipment by shooting people and taking their stuff.

SOF units acquire and use captured poo poo all the time. It's kind of their thing.

Back in WWII, Otto Skorzeny loved using captured silenced Stens. In Vietnam, SEALs and other snakeater types used purloined AK-47s on the reg. Green Berets in Iraq liberated suppressed Sterlings and dummy-corded them onto their HMMWVs.

So there's a long and proud history of commandos like us pillaging guns and turning them against their old owners.

The baddies' guns are there to be shot at us. And once the fight is over, they can be interesting curiosities and might be occasionally useful. No need to sell them off, unless something especially rare/valuable shows up.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

PenguinSalsa posted:

I'm sorry, but that's just straight up mercenaries. We're treated like mercenaries, and we should embrace it.
Bring back slashed clothing in tigerstripe camo colors. And add some feathers to our helmets to further break up our outlines. Does Phoenix Command have bayonets? Maybe swords, for CQC?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

i think i got missed :ohdear:

Sorry about that. I noticed and added you to the spreadsheet this morning, but I haven't updated the list in the thread.

Pharnakes posted:

Is suppression even modelled in this system? I haven't seen any mention of it.

Optional rules I haven't been using yet.

PenguinSalsa posted:

This. I assumed that the goons didn't go through the map and hoover up everything in Jagged Alliance style loot runs but that a dedicated cleanup crew was sent in after the operarion.

Once the mission I run in Phoenix Command ends, there's a process where the goons search buildings for stragglers and give medical aid to enemy wounded out of the goodwill of their heart so they can be interrogated. (If you've eliminated all enemies.) Equipment found during this period is "liberated".

The AKMs aren't the most interesting acquisition you've made and I may clean you inventory of junk eventually, but so far I've decided to leave you with the option of picking it if you, for whatever reason, should want to. And sometimes the weapons you confiscate are better or offer capabilities you don't have. The AUG is more accurate than your FNCs, and if you hadn't gotten the HK69A1 or GL5040, the Kbkg. wz. 1960 would have been your only grenade launcher.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rockopolis posted:

I'm sorry, but that's just straight up mercenaries. We're treated like mercenaries, and we should embrace it.
Bring back slashed clothing in tigerstripe camo colors. And add some feathers to our helmets to further break up our outlines. Does Phoenix Command have bayonets? Maybe swords, for CQC?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

paging HEY GUNS to this thread

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

:allears:
It's like the Holy Roman Empire is a member of the EU.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rockopolis posted:

Phoenix Command has an entirely separate system for hand to hand combat complete with ancient and medieval weapons and armor

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Since our procurement round is coming up soon, I figured I'd mention a few things I've thought of and that have come up in Discord.

For weapons and attachments:
-Suppressors for our FNCs or a suppressed SMG like an MP5SD.
-DMRs to give us long-range fire support.
-Carbines for our grenadiers, scouts and assaulters.
-Lighter LMGs to help our SAW guys move faster and/or carry more armor. Maybe get some armorers to convert our Minimis to Mimini Paras.

For ammo and equipment:
-HEDP, buckshot, and smoke 40mm grenades.
-AP 7.62mm for the MAG and AP 5.56mm for the FNC and Minimi.
-NVGs and nightsights.
-Gunshields and mounts for the BRDM-2.
-Flashbangs.
-Binoculars.
-Radios and headsets (i.e. Peltors).
-Optics for our FNCs and MGs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phi230 posted:

Phoenix Command has an entirely separate system for hand to hand combat complete with ancient and medieval weapons and armor

I smell a potential bonkers LP! Just add in the campaign mechanics from Chevauchee and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
As much fun as it sounds for us to go full Landsknechte, let's not make Eukie's job any tougher than it already is with hand-to-hand rules.

Although a warpac-weapons-only challenge run sounds like it'd be fun.

• Locked thread