Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

VostokProgram posted:

Do you guys craft gear for all your party members or just the Inquisitor? It seemed like so much work to make stuff for everyone that I let them all use whatever the best scavenged loot was
Yeah, but since you can still dupe items on PS4 with a glitch I'll just make 1 really good set of armor and dupe it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hell yeah love to play with a DH

Dick, Huge

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

What do you recommend for a KE? I'm only about level 14, about to do Adamant, but damage-reduction-wise I'm not doing so good. How does your perma-barrier thing work? I have a guard on hit staff which is my go-to.

Tempest was hilarious fun, easily the most fun I've had playing the game.

The other guy mentioned ice, which is a great tree, but I thought I would offer a different path. Keep in mind you can respec your abilities with that "merchant" at the forge. Used it quite a few times to play around and tweak the build. Guard on a staff is cool but be careful overly relying on it. loving Shreiks man.... but yeah... barrier is your best friend.

But yeah with the KE tree. Fade Shield, first and foremost. Gives barrier for attacks. Knight Protector to make the decay slower. Resurgance was kinda cool at your level but ditched it later on. Nailing people with your magic sword also adds to barrier so if they get close hit it. I seemed to settle on a ton of passives with the KE tree.

Barrier Tree. Energetic Defense on the barrier main ability seemed to just slow down the start of barrier decay. Read various opinions online but I will swear I saw it work numerous times. I did not keep strength of spirits as it was ok but didn't really seem necessary. I'd rather put points elsewhere. But this and the KE passives mean your barrier builds as you do damage and it decays slowly. Do take the passive for mana regen as it is nice and right by dispel. Dispel is a great spell when approaching rifts. If you have two mages this radially changes portal encounters. Revive is cool but... really never had issues later on just walking a guy over and helping a buddy up. So that is your base. Now to damage.

Storm Tree. Lightning Bolt is nice. Paralyse guys with a zot. Also the damage in this tree doesn't seem to be resisted as often as fire and ice so its a great primary or secondary tree. Static cage is beautiful. The second tier upgrades are perfect for a KE. Now you can add damage to guys who try and leave your large aoe. That damage also adds to your barrier.I personally like going chain lightning, lightning and static cage as directly as possible with the occasional passive tossed in. This leads me to....

Fire. The Inferno tree. When I hear the title Inquisitor I picture someone cleansing the wicked and foul with the purity of flame. So yeah... went fire. Pros - tons of damage which adds to barrier and it looks bloody wicked burning heretics. Cons - you will find creatures that resist it.... especially some hard dragons. Highland Ravagers suck and they laugh at you. Taking a second mage buddy with ice and lightning is a good way to go. But man.... nothing better than burning darkspawn.
Flashfire - target one dude and make him burn and run away. Can do some nice damage and the upgrades are both nice. Have seen a panicking derpspawn walk back into a group of enemies and damage them. Good range and combat opener.
Immolate - love the name and it was my main spell. AOE target boom and watch them burn. Wildfire unlock is the best and choose it. 100% added to damage and they burn.... plus shorter cool down time. You will see barrier jump up when you use this. Love this spell.
Flashpoint - crit makes next spell have no cooldown. Normally open with flashfire and I swear I critted constantly so when I hit Immolate I got to cast it again. Fire-spear - BOOM-BOOM! Great passive.
Pyromancer - adds 25% to fear and burning. Which are most of your spells you will constantly cast. Also sweet ability name.
Clean Burn - so.... every spell you cast shortens your cooldown times. If you are casting damage as a good Pyromagi should, then you will find cooldowns aren't as big of an issue.
DO NOT TAKE CHAOTIC FOCUS. There is no toggle. You drain more barrier for a small damage add. And even skilled up properly the rest of the way you do little but drain your barrier quicker and you get to find out how truly squishy you are. Was so disappointed.
Wall of fire - its ok. Damage is nice and all but, frankly, there are better. Flame wave was kinda fun as you send it into oncoming traffic but... I will admit I neglected it as there was just better spells.
Fire mine - the better spell. So much fun. I know it doesn't sound like much but take the searing glyph add and watch it go from regular boom to a mini nuke sending your enemies flying into the heavens. Also they will be screaming and on fire. Teehee. Seriously so much fun to use. Note: did not send the dragon or those irritating spinning hammer barbarians back to valhalla. So much fun.

So there is fire with lightning secondary. Good for teaming with an ice/storm Solas. Will add that if you go ice tree focused do not forget to upgrade winters grasp into winters ruin. Pop blizzard to start and then nail with Ruin. It will do massive damage. But try Inferno. Lots of fun and there is only one good way an Inquisitor deals with the dark: let it burn.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
^ I found Wall of Fire pretty nice in the Jaws of Hakkon DLC only because those guys hit so hard that panicking them rather than trying to quickly burst them down often kept me alive longer.

But yeah it's not the greatest ability most of the time otherwise. Fun to use and looks cool though.

e: Finally finished my full series playthrough. How exhausting. DA4 should be p fun. I hope they go a little less heavy on the open world approach. I'd rather have less content but it be more engaging than a zone like the Hissing Wastes which is boring as gently caress. The core content of DA:I s all pretty good. More of that please Bioware and less fluff.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 15, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In DA:O what stat should I increase if I like my mage making ranged attacks with a staff?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

snoremac posted:

In DA:O what stat should I increase if I like my mage making ranged attacks with a staff?
Magic is the only stat that influences staves. Staff projectiles always hit, but can't crit. Their damage is based of spellpower, which in turn is based of Magic.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Thanks. This might be the first time I’ve opted for a healing-based mage in anything, since I typically go for rogues/thieves. I think I would’ve died a bunch of times already without the healing ability, since the poultices are getting used up fairly quickly. IIRC I gave up on the game around Lothering back when it came out for this reason.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I did the Circle Mage prologue and just encountered Jowan again in Redcliffe Castle. Is his being there specific to my background choice or would he appear there anyway?

I was a bit miffed that Jowan apologized for betraying me since he’s forgotten I also betrayed him by entrapping Lily under Irving’s orders.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

snoremac posted:

I did the Circle Mage prologue and just encountered Jowan again in Redcliffe Castle. Is his being there specific to my background choice or would he appear there anyway?

He appears in Redcliff no matter what your origin is. But you can get personal dialogue with him as a Circle Mage, for obvious reasons

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

snoremac posted:

I was a bit miffed that Jowan apologized for betraying me since he’s forgotten I also betrayed him by entrapping Lily under Irving’s orders.

I remember seeing a mod that fixes a bunch of dialogue mentioning that it had to restore dialogue about him remembering your betrayal in the mage origin.

But yeah, it's a good thing he DOES appear there regardless, otherwise people who sided with the Templars would have no way to save Connor.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hello thread, I just finished Inquisition (the first DA game I've played), and greatly enjoyed it. Eventually I plan to do another playthrough (my standard Bioware move is one time through as a Good Guy Female to experience the story as intended and once as a Bad Guy Male to have fun being an rear end in a top hat to everyone), and am very much looking forward to doing the rear end in a top hat playthrough at some point.

I didn't do the Keep before my first time, just inherited the default world. I plan to do it for my second, so my question is this: what choices in the Keep make for the most interesting deviations from the default world state? I want to get as diverse of an experience as possible.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

Hello thread, I just finished Inquisition (the first DA game I've played), and greatly enjoyed it. Eventually I plan to do another playthrough (my standard Bioware move is one time through as a Good Guy Female to experience the story as intended and once as a Bad Guy Male to have fun being an rear end in a top hat to everyone), and am very much looking forward to doing the rear end in a top hat playthrough at some point.

I didn't do the Keep before my first time, just inherited the default world. I plan to do it for my second, so my question is this: what choices in the Keep make for the most interesting deviations from the default world state? I want to get as diverse of an experience as possible.

Your choices about the ending of the first DA probably have the most effect, because it changes the Grey Warden that gets involved with the Inquisition, and who is ruling Ferelden.

Basically, make the choices in the Keep that result in the most people being alive. But really, you're just going to get some extra lines of dialogue here and there, nothing major.

Having Loghain survive DA1 is the most important choice. He's a great character and you can give him a classic redemption story depending on your choices. But it might not really mean much to you if you haven't played DA1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The classic redemption story of repeatedly saving the life of a man who is practically begging for death, over and over again. Loghain Mac Tyr will live forever.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The classic redemption story of repeatedly saving the life of a man who is practically begging for death, over and over again. Loghain Mac Tyr will live forever.

But I get to keep hearing Simon Templeman talk, so, worth it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is DA:O’s difficulty curve scaled or just really good? I think I’ve done things in the intended order and it’s always been in the sweet spot between challenging and frustrating.

Also, are there any companions like Leliana whose quests are triggered by having them in the party when you travel? Everyone else’s thus far was triggered by camp chat.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 26, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Is DA:O’s difficulty curve scaled or just really good? I think I’ve done things in the intended order and it’s always been in the sweet spot between challenging and frustrating.

Also, are there any companions like Leliana whose quests are triggered by having them in the party when you travel? Everyone else’s thus far was triggered by camp chat.

There's an ideal order to do the quests through from a difficulty standpoint. It goes something like this:

Redcliffe/Mage's Tower (bout the same difficulty)
Brecilian Forest
Denerim
Temple of Sacred Ashes
Orzammar
Endgame

You can even tell it's supposed to be that way because if you go to Orzammar first you face a really tough bounty hunter fight at the gates which is the game's way of telling you not to go there until you're higher level.

As for party members who have quests triggered by traveling, Wynne has a few quest triggers that only happen with her there when you're traveling. I think her and Leliana are the only ones though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

^That's the order I've done things in, though with Brecilian after ToSA. Brecilian was easier, but hardly a cakewalk and the gravestone revenants were brutal.

I guess I'll lug Wynne around after I'm done with Orzammar. We're both healing mages so I never use her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can actually flee from the bounty hunter fight I believe. Just run past them along the side towards the gates.

The only downside of doing Orzammar last is Oghren will come in really late, which is a bummer if you want to do his personal quest. You're not really missing out on a character, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can actually flee from the bounty hunter fight I believe. Just run past them along the side towards the gates.

The only downside of doing Orzammar last is Oghren will come in really late, which is a bummer if you want to do his personal quest. You're not really missing out on a character, though.

You can still do his quest. Give him every alcoholic gift you have and his approval will get high enough to unlock the quest.

Doing his quest in Awakening is irritatingly hard though. Requires giving him every last gift he's supposed to get and also never losing approval from him in conversations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Are sidequests still available if I do the Landsmeet?

Orzammar was brutal towards the end. I thought I’d hit a wall with the Broodmother; I couldn’t outlast the final swarm of darkspawn but finally managed by making Shale defensive, which worked for some reason. That rotating statue boss is broken - I did half the fight with my mage alone because nothing would attack unless I attacked it first.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Are sidequests still available if I do the Landsmeet?

Orzammar was brutal towards the end. I thought I’d hit a wall with the Broodmother; I couldn’t outlast the final swarm of darkspawn but finally managed by making Shale defensive, which worked for some reason. That rotating statue boss is broken - I did half the fight with my mage alone because nothing would attack unless I attacked it first.

Yes they are available right up until you do the actual Landsmeet itself. Until you're on the debate floor yelling at Loghain though you've got time to do stuff. The Landsmeet doesn't immediately start when you initiate that quest hub. There's more to do when you start it.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I want to play DA:O again, I never played it on pc.

I was wondering. Did you guys normally pick Teyrn Loghain or Alistar? I had a save with both but I don't think I ever used Loghain that much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ulio posted:

I was wondering. Did you guys normally pick Teyrn Loghain or Alistar? I had a save with both but I don't think I ever used Loghain that much.

I usually kill Loghain because seriously fuuuuuck that guy.

Though it is funny as hell that you can drag him kicking and screaming all the way through Inquisition even though every game gives you multiple chances to kill him if he's alive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I sided with Alistair my first time through the game but in retrospect it's way funnier to keep Loghain alive against his wishes throughout Origins + Inquisition.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh that's hilarious I wanna try that out. If you play Origins on Steam can you carry over your file to Inquisition?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ulio posted:

Oh that's hilarious I wanna try that out. If you play Origins on Steam can you carry over your file to Inquisition?

Files don't import to Inquisition, you set a file with DA Keep.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ulio posted:

Inquisition uses the keep site for importing worldstates. So it doesn’t matter on what platforms you played the previous games.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ulio posted:

Loghain all the way. His camp conversations alone are worth it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I go with Loghain. I really like his arc if you have him in DA:I.

That said I haven't managed to keep him alive through Inquisition yet. It's too hard to kill my Hawke :(. One of these days I'll play rear end in a top hat renegade Hawke so that I can feel less bad about upsetting Varric.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I actually identified more with jerk hawke because I interpreted it all as "god I hate this city and everyone in it you are all the absolute worst"

True to kirkwall he ended up viscount

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Go with Loghain, make Alistair king, let Loghain die killing the archdemon.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

I actually identified more with jerk hawke because I interpreted it all as "god I hate this city and everyone in it you are all the absolute worst"

True to kirkwall he ended up viscount
I was disappointed that I made Hawke as awful as possible - rivals with Varric, killed as many of his companions as possible, had his sister executed - and Varric was still his best buddy in Inquisition apparently.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The annoying thing about Oghren in Awakening is that any gifts you gave him in Origins contribute to the Diminished Returns of Gifts in Awakening, despite the fact that his Approval resets. It feels like a bug which should be fixed with a mod.

But yeah, there is a "best order" to do things in, but the game does also have a level-scaling system. Which means that abusing EXP exploits to get super-leveled early can bite you in the rear end really hard, as the enemies will have better equipment/stats, while you're stuck with basic stuff.

As for the Keep... it really irritates me that you have to enter all the information manually. If you can't remember what choices you made, you have to guess. There's a save-reader for Origins/Awakening that can tell you what choices you made, but if you don't remember what you did in 2, you're S.O.L.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zore posted:

I usually kill Loghain because seriously fuuuuuck that guy.

Though it is funny as hell that you can drag him kicking and screaming all the way through Inquisition even though every game gives you multiple chances to kill him if he's alive.

I'm going to laugh when in Dragon Age 8, there will be two bad bad choices that nobody will want to choose.

But if you kept Loghain alive for all the games, he takes the hit instead, and you get the good ending.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I romanced Alistair so I killed Loghain and made him king. But since I hadn't hardened him we had to break up. :(

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm actually playing through DAO for the first time right now, and I think I'm going to keep Loghain alive. I want either him or Alistair to be my Grey Warden buddy on my next DAI playthrough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Crotch posted:

I was disappointed that I made Hawke as awful as possible - rivals with Varric, killed as many of his companions as possible, had his sister executed - and Varric was still his best buddy in Inquisition apparently.

Rival Varric may not like Hawke, but he respects him. And you could always headcanon it as saying that after losing nearly all the rest of the crew, Varric is gonna protect what reminds him of Kirkwall as much as possible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't even know you could have Loghain come back in Inquisition to such a significant extent. Seems like as good a reason to replay as any

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ShakeZula posted:

I'm actually playing through DAO for the first time right now, and I think I'm going to keep Loghain alive. I want either him or Alistair to be my Grey Warden buddy on my next DAI playthrough.

I've never done it with Alistair because letting his sister walk all over him in DAO is a total bitch move. Logain as your companion is amazing though and definitely made that entire sequence one of my favorites in the game. When Nightmare tries to taunt him he doesn't give any kind of a gently caress whatsoever, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

just some really cool fan art:
https://twitter.com/DancinFox/status/967822833584926720