Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what’s funny is passengers have it all wrong about what drivers care about. idgaf where someone sits but i’m so loving sick of being asked the same four bullshit smalltalk questions

“do you also drive for uber/lyft?” and its inevitable followup “which one do you like more?”
“is this your full time / what else do you do?”
“are you from the city?”

and the most popular one of all, the one that i genuinely have to work to keep the annoyance out of my voice when answering: “has it been busy?”

what the gently caress kind of question is that? what the gently caress conversation do you expect to blossom out of a fuckin’ yes or no question, especially one that’s so knuckle-draggingly obvious that literally half of anyone who makes conversation rolls it out. gently caress you, personally, to hell

conversation is nice and I’ve had plenty of interesting and fun conversations with passengers but 100% of the good ones put more effort into it than blurting out the first thing that pops into their head, and 100% of them were about something other than my mind-numbingly dull fake internet car job

Gonna have to remember these and ask them if/when I do take an Uber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you’ll be the fifteenth person that day

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
the very first time or two i got in the front, not realizing how awkward that was. I mean it would if I thought about it but it really did just seem like I was getting into a car so I just instinctively went for it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

On the driver's lap

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
real question is: how many complimentary water bottles do you drink?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

the very first time or two i got in the front, not realizing how awkward that was. I mean it would if I thought about it but it really did just seem like I was getting into a car so I just instinctively went for it.

This is what I did and then just kept doing it.
I never even had a driver look at me twice about it.

I do feel bad for asking a lot of the "don't ask these questions", questions. Sorry, If it makes you feel better I truly couldn't have given a poo poo about the drivers answers, either.
And, it got really loving tiring of being a seemingly able-bodied male who couldn't drive to-from work a relatively long distance and needing to take Uber some days when I couldn't car pool during the state mandated time I couldn't drive after I had my last siezure, because then I'd get the general, probing "So what's up..." kind of question or felt like I had to explain that "no I'm not here because of a DUI or or something I've got this yada yada thing going on" and it invariably ended with either a soft "...oh" or "My sister has that and she fell in a pool and died! Did you die in a pool?" or some other retarded poo poo. Every loving day.

I did get to know a couple of the drivers pretty good though, there was this one dude closer to my dad's age, I live in WI, this guy had a thick as gently caress WI accent but a voice just BUILT to be on the radio or on TV, like a local radio host or pitchman and drove a bitchin, ridiculous, blue Escalade with huge rims. Hilarious fucker, too and we'd shoot the poo poo all the time, I felt bad almost when I got my license back. He'd actively watch for my request when he new I was almost done at work, toward the end of when I was using the service.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 14, 2018

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who sit in the front and they're the only passenger are weird. The Uber guy is my driver, not my friend that I want to talk to. I prefer the only interaction to be "hi, where to" in the beginning and "that'll be ____" at the end.

People generally like to be treated as humans / equals. You should try it some day.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Big Beef City posted:

or some other retarded poo poo. Every loving day.

see you get what it’s like. the real lesson here is “put some effort into it if you’re going to make conversation with a captive audience”

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I sit in the backseat with the divider up like a proper limo passenger

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

see you get what it’s like. the real lesson here is “put some effort into it if you’re going to make conversation with a captive audience”

Dude I've worked customer service/IT desk jockey/Hotel front desk jobs for 25 loving years. I know what it's like to deal with retarded conversations. Sometimes you just need to make small talk.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Dude I've worked customer service/IT desk jockey/Hotel front desk jobs for 25 loving years. I know what it's like to deal with retarded conversations. Sometimes you just need to make small talk.

okay? i have for fifteen, are the intervening ten years going to be the magic moment where I stop getting annoyed at answering the same dead-end low effort questions

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a bone to pick posted:

People generally like to be treated as humans / equals. You should try it some day.

They can be people when they're off the clock.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

okay? i have for fifteen, are the intervening ten years going to be the magic moment where I stop getting annoyed at answering the same dead-end low effort questions

No, but at some point maybe you'll stop being a rude autistic bitch and realize asking "Hey how are ya, busy today?" is just normal human interaction even though neither party gives a poo poo.

Honestly; if having to answer "What else do you do?" and "Busy day?" annoy you? This is why you drive Uber for a living.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 14, 2018

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i've never used uber but whenever I've caught a cab in the long distant past on my own I would sit in the front and chat with the driver.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Not being able to small talk is one of the most visible traite of autistic people imo. Nobody cares about the goddamn weather today, obviously, its not the topic that is important but the act of communication itself.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The first time I ever got an uber was because I needed to go to the post collection depot to pick up a sex toy.

I sat in the back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Not being able to small talk is one of the most visible traite of autistic people imo. Nobody cares about the goddamn weather today, obviously, its not the topic that is important but the act of communication itself.

It's not about a lack of ability, it's a lack of desire. They're doing a job for me. Do I ask the mechanic how his day is going when I take my car to him to fix it? No, I just give him the money and he fixes the car, end of story. I have actual friends, I don't want to treat some dude i'll either never see again or maybe only see once a year tops like a friend.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's not about a lack of ability, it's a lack of desire. They're doing a job for me. Do I ask the mechanic how his day is going when I take my car to him to fix it? No, I just give him the money and he fixes the car, end of story. I have actual friends, I don't want to treat some dude i'll either never see again or maybe only see once a year tops like a friend.

"Brakes."
Sir your car is not on our registered ...
"BRAKES!!!!"
Ok, we'll look at them.

*6 hours go by*
Hello sir, the brakes looked fine.
"OIL NOT DONE!!"
You asked us to check the brakes,sir.
"mmmPPPppphh""

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

No, but at some point maybe you'll stop being a rude autistic bitch and realize asking "Hey how are ya, busy today?" is just normal human interaction even though neither party gives a poo poo.

Honestly; if having to answer "What else do you do?" and "Busy day?" annoy you? This is why you drive Uber for a living.

I can sort of see his point. If you do an incredibly repetitive low level job it starts to suck when people pester you about it.

Like when you're obviously an underpaid scrub who has to do a lovely job to pay rent due to lovely life choices it blows chunks when someone asks you "What else do you do?" and im like.... "this is it..this is how I pay rent :-("

Nothing wrong with small talk about the weather though!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
When I'm in an UBer I sit in my freaking rear end.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
is it rude to be wearing my full body diaper as an uber passenger?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

"Brakes."
Sir your car is not on our registered ...
"BRAKES!!!!"
Ok, we'll look at them.

*6 hours go by*
Hello sir, the brakes looked fine.
"OIL NOT DONE!!"
You asked us to check the brakes,sir.
"mmmPPPppphh""

You obviously tell them what the problem is. I was extremely obviously talking about small talk. I don't need to know about my mechanic's family or how his day is, my car is broken, I tell him what is happening, I have money bills in my pocket, he fixes it, I hand him moneys, end of transaction. I hate it when my mechanic asks things like what I do for a living or how I spend my free time, just fix it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I can sort of see his point. If you do an incredibly repetitive low level job it starts to suck when people pester you about it.

Like when you're obviously an underpaid scrub who has to do a lovely job to pay rent due to lovely life choices it blows chunks when someone asks you "What else do you do?" and im like.... "this is it..this is how I pay rent :-("

Nothing wrong with small talk about the weather though!

You're an idiot who's never done it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

lmao okay dude sorry if i hurt your feelings with my hyperbolic screed that you seem to think I recite to everyone who gets in my car

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what’s funny is passengers have it all wrong about what drivers care about. idgaf where someone sits but i’m so loving sick of being asked the same four bullshit smalltalk questions

“do you also drive for uber/lyft?” and its inevitable followup “which one do you like more?”
“is this your full time / what else do you do?”
“are you from the city?”

and the most popular one of all, the one that i genuinely have to work to keep the annoyance out of my voice when answering: “has it been busy?”

what the gently caress kind of question is that? what the gently caress conversation do you expect to blossom out of a fuckin’ yes or no question, especially one that’s so knuckle-draggingly obvious that literally half of anyone who makes conversation rolls it out. gently caress you, personally, to hell

conversation is nice and I’ve had plenty of interesting and fun conversations with passengers but 100% of the good ones put more effort into it than blurting out the first thing that pops into their head, and 100% of them were about something other than my mind-numbingly dull fake internet car job

Could the question about it being busy be an oblique attempt to tell if some surcharge is about to turn an ordinary ride into a huge expense? I'm asking because I don't know. I take the bus like a regular person.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
I've never tried Uber/Lyft but in taxis I sit in the front if I'm alone.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
Oh yeah hold up I sit right on the driver's lap because I'm a cool and wacky fella

Somebody already say that? Well I also sit on the hood or sometimes in the trunk if I'm tryna save a buck

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honestly looking back in the vast majority of cases I've ordered a taxi or similar, I sit in the seat that the driver opens the door for. I usually just stand there until he gets out and takes my luggage and opens the door for me. Opening a door myself seems presumptuous.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

1redflag posted:

Poor choice

back, and to the left

Hell yeah.

e: this is me after spending twenty american dollars on hearthstone packs

PyPy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 14, 2018

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Opening a door myself seems presumptuous.

If not beneath you. Opening doors is for lesser beings.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hell Stink posted:

If not beneath you. Opening doors is for lesser beings.

Exactly. I'm glad someone else understands the hierarchy.

In the cases they don't open the door for me or even worse pop the trunk and make me put my own luggage in, I just start thinking about what i'll do with the tip I would have given them otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Uber isn't allowed in Vancouver, OP! But when I get a cab I sit in the back. I sit in the front if I'm with friends b/c they're usually pussies about sitting beside the driver.

e: Lyft also is not allowed here fwiw

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2018

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I refuse to even look in the direction of the driver, and only communicate through the in app messager even after i get in the car

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Blockade posted:

I refuse to even look in the direction of the driver, and only communicate through the in app messager even after i get in the car

Goddamn five stars right there for endangering both of our lives
And the correct answer is in the drivers lap.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Colonel Cancer posted:

Or you could just not be a boring rear end in a top hat and find something better to talk about with people

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

You guys are loving weird. Uber or cab, I've always sat in the front when I'm alone and talked to the people. They're usually quite happy to have a chat and often talk my ear off.

If I'm with my GF or something though I'll sometimes sit in the back with her or not depending if it seems like we want to all start a conversation or not.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
lol you loving nerds

if there are two people in a car, they sit in the two front seats. You goddamn space aliens

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl as a laydee my mother always taught us to sit in the back. Just in case the cabbie is a creeper.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i deleted uber a couple years ago. hope this helps op!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
backseat with headphones and a blanket covering me

• Locked thread