Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

carry on then posted:

“i don’t know what that is”

when can you start!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Emacs Headroom posted:

even acknowledging the existence of the careeer website is probably a red flag

if you don't know someone there who can refer you (always the best method), then you're supposed to casually hit up a recruiter there on linked in

"hi, I'm making a career move and am in the middle of a job search. I've been a fan of netflix's technology culture [don't mention the product], and thought i should reach out to see what [general area like back-end or mobile or w/e] opportunities there are, and whether there might be a good fit. I'll be on the market for another couple of weeks, and am open to moving to the lower bay / SJ area if there's a match"

from page 6 but i'm gonna give this a shot at a big company here and see what happens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

from page 6 but i'm gonna give this a shot at a big company here and see what happens

that’s some serious overthinking. look, managers have headcount to fill. they want someone who will write some code well. recruiters have hiring goals. they want to find a candidate that will pass the interview and agree to accept their offer. they’re all humans just like you are, they’re not gatekeepers to some exclusive club. they want good candidates just as much as you want a good job. just be a normal human and say that you’re looking for a job, you like their company, and you think you could fit in there and have the skills they want.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats that tool that does text analysis of job descriptions for biases

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

that’s some serious overthinking. look, managers have headcount to fill. they want someone who will write some code well. recruiters have hiring goals. they want to find a candidate that will pass the interview and agree to accept their offer. they’re all humans just like you are, they’re not gatekeepers to some exclusive club. they want good candidates just as much as you want a good job. just be a normal human and say that you’re looking for a job, you like their company, and you think you could fit in there and have the skills they want.

yeah pretty much that's what i was going to do, a quick casual introduction with some key points and just a general inquiry. tbh if their careers website means anything, they only really have one role for which i fit the minimum requirements but unfortunately not the preferred, and i highly doubt this company is going to be desperate for candidates given their prestige. worst comes to worst, maybe i can open a conversation about future opportunities that i don't yet know about.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The grind goes on

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Someone give me a good form for a cover letter. Mine obviously are complete poo poo, MLMP.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If recruiters cared particularly about finding qualified candidates they'd press their clients/employers for realistic criteria vs. "must have 5 years same-version experience in every tech we use"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

Someone give me a good form for a cover letter. Mine obviously are complete poo poo, MLMP.

i use this thing with ok results: https://github.com/posquit0/Awesome-CV

i mean mine is much less impressive because i literally started my career six months ago

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

literally noone ever reads the cover letter. for real, never. it'll only ever be possibly read when you've already been shortlisted for interview, but often it will still be disregarded. just say something short, normal and polite, list some correlations between the job description and your resume in bullet form, and finish with your email / phone number. that's it. i find it hilarious when i see someone has obviously spent hours writing an essay for the letter, because i always just roll my eyes and immediately throw that one page in the bin

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Is it worth it to get certifications while I'm still technically student?

Also I had my first phone interview today and it went well. Meeting in person in two weeks. Stoked to not be a poor.

First question right off the bat was "is this job going to bore you?". Nah man, I'm actually curious about stuff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kudaros posted:

Also I had my first phone interview today and it went well. Meeting in person in two weeks. Stoked to not be a poor.

First question right off the bat was "is this job going to bore you?". Nah man, I'm actually curious about stuff.

Ops or Dev? From what I can tell (not a dev guy) there are literally no dev certs worth paying for. Ops, yeah sure, can't hurt/might help.

Most colleges/universities will also have a thing where you can buy vouchers cheaply.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Like machine learning and such. Not sure where that would fit in.

SQL stuff too I guess since I see it listed somewhat frequently in CVs.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im getting to interview someone this week, hoping to learn interview technique from the inside

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kudaros posted:

it can’t hurt but in my experience it won’t help you much either.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

got two different NVIDIA recruiters and an Apple recruiter contacting me today :supaburn:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what do you do again? some kinda EE right? come work in the seattle area

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CS

edit: I guess technically CS and CpE undergrad, CS masters

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 14, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kudaros posted:

this question means they think you’re overqualified.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

CS

edit: I guess technically CS and CpE undergrad, CS masters

looking in the storage world or what?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Management posted:

looking in the storage world or what?
Systems-y stuff: drivers, embedded, file systems, recently expanding that to DBMSs (working on an in-memory database project currently and finding it cool)

Also doing CUDA stuff right now which is neat. I’m all over the place as long as it’s C or C++

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

please dont diy lock-free data structures
Hey speak of the devil, that’s my next task

Compare-and-swap is voodoo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Systems-y stuff: drivers, embedded, file systems, recently expanding that to DBMSs (working on an in-memory database project currently and finding it cool)

Also doing CUDA stuff right now which is neat. I’m all over the place as long as it’s C or C++

you’re west coast right? send me a PM i have something you may be interested in

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

you’re west coast right? send me a PM i have something you may be interested in
Im in Pittsburgh right now (CMU), I intend to be west coast in 10 months

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How would I go about moving into a neighboring job market (Chicago) that I have no contacts in?

Like, what's my first step?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Apply to a job in chicago

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

qhat posted:

yeah pretty much that's what i was going to do, a quick casual introduction with some key points and just a general inquiry. tbh if their careers website means anything, they only really have one role for which i fit the minimum requirements but unfortunately not the preferred, and i highly doubt this company is going to be desperate for candidates given their prestige. worst comes to worst, maybe i can open a conversation about future opportunities that i don't yet know about.

If you fit all the preferred requirements you are overqualified

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

dm if youre interested in filesystems in boston, dbs/system runtimes in seattle

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lampey posted:

If you fit all the preferred requirements you are overqualified

The trouble is the hard requirements are kinda broad "software Dev exp in languages like C++,c#,java,python,etc", "experience of full SDLC", etc, and the preferred requirements drop a lot of ultra specific stuff which I have nothing of. I might drop an application in anyway because whatever though.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Schadenboner posted:

How would I go about moving into a neighboring job market (Chicago) that I have no contacts in?

Like, what's my first step?

If you’re at all decent, just apply to jobs. We’re slightly starved for talent here.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Im in Pittsburgh right now (CMU), I intend to be west coast in 10 months

sent you a pm

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

qhat posted:

. I might drop an application in anyway because whatever though.

because, whatever. :cheeky:

Currently contracting for a place. A sibling team is looking to hire me on fulltime, the job description for the role I’m being recommended for is a kind of analytics tooling engineer while I’m more web and services.
Something I’d never consider, the job description reads like someone doing SEO.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

dm if youre interested in filesystems in boston, dbs/system runtimes in seattle

did they find a new manager for filesystems in boston

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Coffee Jones posted:

because, whatever. :cheeky:

Currently contracting for a place. A sibling team is looking to hire me on fulltime, the job description for the role I’m being recommended for is a kind of analytics tooling engineer while I’m more web and services.
Something I’d never consider, the job description reads like someone doing SEO.

Is it actually a thing where an SEO job could harm your future job prospects? Like if you went for an interview and explained what your current company does, and they ask "uh, isn't that against Google's terms of service?" and you basically have to mealymouth your way out of it?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
got an interview scheduled

on 2/19 :getin:

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Phone interview with Hulu today. Wish me luck.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
good luck

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Get those figgies 😆

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i've been having interviews but they're with startups that have like 15~20 people and maybe a handful of engineers

i don't really like that? i don't feel like it's the right environment for me, but that's also the grand majority of companies looking to hire in boston

i have no idea how to get noticed by and hired at non-startup places and that's loving me up

goons please help how i get job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

i've been having interviews but they're with startups that have like 15~20 people and maybe a handful of engineers

i don't really like that? i don't feel like it's the right environment for me, but that's also the grand majority of companies looking to hire in boston

i have no idea how to get noticed by and hired at non-startup places and that's loving me up

goons please help how i get job

what's your skillset