Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Incessant Excess posted:

I get a general question that might be a lil stupid. If I got a soundbar hooked up to the HDMI 2 port say, is it possible to get the video from a device on HDMI 3 with the audio still coming from the soundbar on HDMI 2? The TV in question is an LG B7 in case that matters.

Do you mean you have a soundbar plugged into hdmi 2

You have a ps4 plugged into hdmi 3

You want the ps4 sound to come out of the soundbar ?

If so yes, that is arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Incessant Excess posted:

I get a general question that might be a lil stupid. If I got a soundbar hooked up to the HDMI 2 port say, is it possible to get the video from a device on HDMI 3 with the audio still coming from the soundbar on HDMI 2? The TV in question is an LG B7 in case that matters.

Check which ports of your TV support ARC and make sure the soundbar is plugged into that.

I've got a similar situation except I'm screwed, because I only have 1 HDMI port that supports ARC and it's also my only HDMI 2.0 port, so if I want to pass audio from a 4K / HDR source back to my receiver over ARC, I can't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't really know of a TV that has more than one ARC enabled port.

The single HDMI 2.0 port sucks though and it seems like an oversight to have it be on the ARC port for just this reason.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

Do you mean you have a soundbar plugged into hdmi 2

You have a ps4 plugged into hdmi 3

You want the ps4 sound to come out of the soundbar ?

If so yes, that is arc

Thanks, that was exactly what I meant. I changed my soundbar to be hooked up via HDMI now, rather than optical as it was before.

EDIT: I'm a bit ashamed to admit it but, I have had this soundbar and an ARC capable TV for 4 years.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 13, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I don't really know of a TV that has more than one ARC enabled port.

The single HDMI 2.0 port sucks though and it seems like an oversight to have it be on the ARC port for just this reason.

That's what i get for buying a 4K /HDR TV in 2016. At least I got one of the few models that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Having the sole 2.0 port also be the ARC port makes sense if you're using a proper receiver or a soundbar that does HDMI switching. That way your sources can deliver 4K to the TV and the TV can feed audio from internal sources back to the sound system, with only one wire between them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not a great situation regardless. I'm glad my 2016 vintage C6 has all ports as HDMI 2.0.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wolrah posted:

Having the sole 2.0 port also be the ARC port makes sense if you're using a proper receiver or a soundbar that does HDMI switching. That way your sources can deliver 4K to the TV and the TV can feed audio from internal sources back to the sound system, with only one wire between them.

I've got a proper receiver that does HDMI 1.4 switching. My receiver suits my needs, and I'm loath to spend another $300-400 just to switch HDMI 2.0.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

It's not a great situation regardless. I'm glad my 2016 vintage C6 has all ports as HDMI 2.0.
Agreed, it's really annoying that we even have to deal with segregated ports just because the manufacturer wants to hit a specific pricepoint and adding a few bucks to make things infinitely easier for the user is just too much.

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a proper receiver that does HDMI 1.4 switching. My receiver suits my needs, and I'm loath to spend another $300-400 just to switch HDMI 2.0.
Not saying you need to, just explaining a situation where having both on the same port makes sense, once one's past the stupidity of the limited ports in the first place.

Separate ports are better for those with non-switching soundbars or older switch devices, a combined port is better for those with newer switching devices, and of course just supporting everything on all ports and telling the beancounters to shove it up their rear end is best.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wolrah posted:

Separate ports are better for those with non-switching soundbars or older switch devices, a combined port is better for those with newer switching devices, and of course just supporting everything on all ports and telling the beancounters to shove it up their rear end is best.

I guess that beggars can't be choosers, and $1k was a decent price point for a 65" DV and HDR10 4K display. I'm more bothered by the lack of a tuner than the port situation, honestly.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Did anything ever come of that LCD wallpaper some TV makers were touting a few years back?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did anything ever come of that LCD wallpaper some TV makers were touting a few years back?

LG W7 OLEDs are the closest thing on the market at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5WP2BKigc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's really funny about the W7 is they get to charge the extreme price for the form factor, bit it isn't any more expensive to make than the low end B7.

Seriously, the panels are all that thin. The only difference is they moved the electronics to an external box which probably decreases assembly costs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd imagine the packaging for that thing is about as expensive as the molding for a normal tv frame

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there any particularly good material to watch that shows off HDR? I have Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 as well as the second season of the Grand Tour. Anything else people can recommend?

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 14, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there any particularly good material to watch that shows off HDR? I have Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 as well as the second season of the Grand Tour. Anything else people can recommend?

Altered Carbon on Netflix.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

Blu Ray of Mad Max Fury Road is in 4K HDR and looks pretty dope.

Also on YouTube, there's like hours or 4K HDR aquarium footage which is nice to run as background for parties and stuff.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Brought the 49MU8005 home and I have an issue: Rtings recommends setting picture mode to "Movie", which is fine for SDR movies but too dim for HDR content. Dynamic mode is bright enough, so it's not an hardware limitation. The brightness slider makes everything gray and "Contrast Enhancer" wreaks havoc on some color tones, so it seems there's no way to keep the more accurate color reproduction of Movie mode while still having a decently bright image... or am I missing something?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

is in 4K HDR

What

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Presumably the 4K UHD Blu-Ray.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hey folks. I’m in a situation where I need to give some advice to my dad about whether they should get a new tv but I’m not totally sure where I fall.

So, the TV in question is a an older plasma, 50 inch, 720p/1080i, which which is watch from about 10-15 feet away, from dead on, but sometimes from about 30ish degrees off to the side. So viewing angle is a thing.

Now, the resolution alone would normally be a no-brainer but here are my concerns:

-it’s one of the Pioneer Kuro plasmas, and it has some of the best blacks I’ve seen even to this day. I’m happy with my TCL 49s405 but its not even close in that regard, although it’s brighter and I think the contrast ratio is better

-he only wants to spend about $300. I can probably talk him up to ~$500 but the OLEDs are currently out of the price range.

This is probably going to be the last TV he ever buys so if waiting a few years is going to make a difference then that’s probably worth it, that’s where he’s at too right now, but I doubt OLEDs are going to be in that range any time soon.

Any thoughts?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Is your Dad unhappy with the TV? If he's getting old there is a good chance that he can't see a difference with a higher resolution picture anyway. $300 doesn't get you a lot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, was that not what I said?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TomR posted:

Is your Dad unhappy with the TV? If he's getting old there is a good chance that he can't see a difference with a higher resolution picture anyway. $300 doesn't get you a lot.

Not really. But I just got one and it got him wondering. It’s also not a smart TV which is something he’s interested in (but a Roku could probably fix that). It’s definitely not a very bright TV and I think he’d notice that for sure, but those inky blacks tho

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm doing an in-wall HDMI run of about 10 metres/33Ft, and would like it to be forward compatible with a future 4K/HDR setup - I'm trying to determine whether I'm fine to just grab a generic HDMI2.0 cable, or whether I require an amplified/boosted cable or something.

Google results are sending mixed messages.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

I'm doing an in-wall HDMI run of about 10 metres/33Ft, and would like it to be forward compatible with a future 4K/HDR setup - I'm trying to determine whether I'm fine to just grab a generic HDMI2.0 cable, or whether I require an amplified/boosted cable or something.

If it’s new construction, run it in conduit. If it’s existing construction, run a pull string.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Don Dongington posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LJQM3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this one and it does 4k hdr fine @ 35ft

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Variable 5 posted:

If it’s new construction, run it in conduit. If it’s existing construction, run a pull string.

Always this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but it's incredible how much better Sony's motion is compared to LG's.

I've been playing around with YouTube TV since they added more devices and more channels. Like most OTT services, some channels are 60fps and some are 30fps.

On my C6, the 30fps channels are unwatchable. It doesn't matter what motion settings I try. On, off, fully maxed, Deblur and Dejudder at every position. Nothing can make the motion look like proper 24fps.

The 60fps channels are better, but since the TV can't reverse telecine progressive inputs, you have to put very low True Motion settings on (like 1 Dejudder) to get it looking close to natural 24fps cadence. But it creates artifacts and it hitches a little here and there.

On my x900e, from the same Roku input, night and day difference. You can't really even tell which channels are 30fps and which are 60fps when you are watching 24p content. MotionFlow set to TrueCinema and Cinemotion set to Max makes the TV root out natural 24fps cadence from seemingly any sort of input signal. I think it could take smoke signals or semaphore and give a smooth, non-interpolated, motion output.

If only the Sony OLEDs had 3d. That's the one thing that will keep me holding on to my C6 since the 3d is that good.

It will be interesting to see if the new 2018 LGs live up to the promise of substantially improved motion processing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have an issue with audio not coming through my soundbar. My TV is an LG B7 with the CEC functions enabled. I got my soundbar (Sony HT-XT1) hooked up to the ARC enabled HDMI (HDMI 2) and I got a Nintendo Switch hooked up to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, the other TV HDMI ports are also all in use. The problem is, when I turn on my PS4 for example (PS4 is hooked up to the TV directly) I get no audio through my soundbar until I switch to HDMI2 on my TV and back again. All the devices get turned on and the soundbar displays the correct input, but until I switch to HDMI2 and then back to whatever device I actually wanna use I get no audio, which of course is pretty inconvenient. Anyone familiar with an issue like this?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...type=10&veh=aff

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I saw this when it was in stock earlier, and would have been all over it, except for I don't know if I really trust a refurb from WalMart.

Still encouraging to see them finally start creeping down into this price range.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I get a C7 would I want to upgrade my 2008 model receiver? Also upgrade my PS4 to a Pro? Right now I run a 7.1 system and a Windows HTPC with Kodi through the receiver.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think the biggest advantage a PS4 Pro offers lies in the higher framerate modes some games offer, those are nice in general but not for a 4K TV specifically. The biggest difference for the C7 will be the HDR support, assuming your previous TV didn't have that, and the standard PS4 supports HDR so no need to get a Pro to take advantage of that.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

codo27 posted:

My buddy has last years Vizio P 65" and I was there last night and Netflix was really lovely on it. Most things start out in 480p and takes a while before it gets better. I was like well you oughta plug that poo poo in directly to your router cause 4K video requires a lot of bandwidth. He did today but its only reporting speeds of 6-7mbps and he has the same 100mbps service I have, wifi even worse. But do a speed test on the phablet remote that came with the TV and it shows 98mbps. We use Netflix on the gfs Xbone and its mostly flawless, only a 1080p TV but it very rarely hiccups and delivers a low res image. I've read the built in speed test cant be trusted but it seems in line with the kind of experience he is having with Netflix. He's gone through the trouble of calibrating the TV as recommended and doesn't really want to do a factory reset, it doesn't seem like this is an isolated incident from what I've read anyway. Any thoughts, anything we can try?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to improve it on mine. I think it just take a minute every time. By the time the title is done its good and any episodes after the first are also fine. Im probably gonna start using the new Apple TV 4K more since it seems to hit that 4K instantly.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

My wife needs a tv for her home office. It's going in an alcove that can comfortably fit anything up to 50" wide, so 55" panels should be fine as long as the bezel isn't huge or have speakers built-in to the sides. She'll be using it for 1080p content exclusively -- cable tv and Netflix/Prime/Plex streaming, no gaming or computer monitoring. She's so indifferent to video quality that I'll regularly walk into the living room and find her watching an SD channel on the 65" and she claims to not notice until it's pointed out BUT she's complained about soap opera effect on other people's TVs so disabling motion smoothing would be nice. She really just needs something that isn't going to break in the next few years or catch on fire or murder our cats. Spending more than about US$350-400 seems like overkill.

I'm thinking either a TCL Roku or a Vizio with a Roku stick (and disabling all of the built-in smart features)? Seems like 4k is about the same price as 1080 so may as well?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm getting color banding (I think that's the right term) with my Samsung. Very noticeable, but only on skin tones. Switching movies, inputs or settings doesn't make a difference. Comparing side by side with a 10yo monitor, the TV looks pretty bad.

Worth asking for a replacement? If this a "panel lottery" type deal, I'll just ask for a refund. drat thing is barely a week old, jfc.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Are there any reasonably priced HDMI switches that support 4K HDR that are any good? I just brought a Sony HT-RT4 sound system to go with my Sony X900E but the TV only has two 4k-HDR ports, one of which is the ARC port.

I have a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X so I'm now left with only one port that supports HDR and I'm having to swap the cables around every time I want to swap console.

I was looking at this one, but if I'm reading this right it says that anything plugged into it won't pass audio out through the ARC port?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

seravid posted:

I'm getting color banding (I think that's the right term) with my Samsung. Very noticeable, but only on skin tones. Switching movies, inputs or settings doesn't make a difference. Comparing side by side with a 10yo monitor, the TV looks pretty bad.

Worth asking for a replacement? If this a "panel lottery" type deal, I'll just ask for a refund. drat thing is barely a week old, jfc.

My first guess would have been a color depth setting mismatch but if you’ve messed with all that bad panel

Return it for a non Samsung prob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Incessant Excess posted:

I think the biggest advantage a PS4 Pro offers lies in the higher framerate modes some games offer, those are nice in general but not for a 4K TV specifically. The biggest difference for the C7 will be the HDR support, assuming your previous TV didn't have that, and the standard PS4 supports HDR so no need to get a Pro to take advantage of that.

Decided to get the Pro.

Still wondering about my circa 2008 receiver though. I'll have the C7, a PS4 Pro, a Switch, a Windows 10 HTPC, and a 7.1 system. Would I be able to get 4K and HDR where applicable without upgrading the receiver? Hopefully not requiring any swapping like Veotax above.

Would a new receiver just allow me to get Atmos?