Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Len posted:

That's because the irl actor didn't speak Korean

Naveen Andrews, who plays Sayid (who is Iraqi), is British and his parents are Indian.

Daniel Dae Kim, who plays Jin (who is Korean) was born in South Korea but raised in the US. iirc Yunjin Kim (Sun) helped him learn enough Korean to do his lines.
He's also Johnny Gat in Saints Row :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Len posted:

That's because the irl actor didn't speak Korean

Yeah I'm Korean and can barely speak the language but Daniel Dae Kim honestly sounded like he had a mental illness. Though I do appreciate that it's much better than the fake "German" in Die Hard.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Naveen Andrews, who plays Sayid (who is Iraqi), is British and his parents are Indian.

Daniel Dae Kim, who plays Jin (who is Korean) was born in South Korea but raised in the US. iirc Yunjin Kim (Sun) helped him learn enough Korean to do his lines.
He's also Johnny Gat in Saints Row :cool:

I always loved this tidbit because his whole character is about how she speaks english but he doesn't. Like why on earth would you not cast it the other way around. But not knowing a word of Korean I really thought he was one of the most solid actors of the bunch.
Also, Daniel Dae Kim is fiiiiiine.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sarcopenia posted:

I always loved this tidbit because his whole character is about how she speaks english but he doesn't. Like why on earth would you not cast it the other way around.

Especially since the character of Sun was apparently created just for her - she auditioned for Kate and didn't get it, but the producers liked her so much they wanted to include her.

But I guess the fact that she speaks English is what changes the power dynamic and makes her an interesting character: she has an ill-tempered husband that is forced to work as a hitman by her ultra-traditional and very powerful father, she's totally controlled by men, but then on the island it's all like "hah, you need me now Jin because I can communicate with the other survivors and you can't". Pretty difficult to swap the genders given the conservative background they're supposed to have come from.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sun and Jin had the best arc on :lost:

Also both him and Sawyer had really great swings of love them hate them love them hate them but they were always compelling.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: Wrong thread

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Especially since the character of Sun was apparently created just for her - she auditioned for Kate and didn't get it, but the producers liked her so much they wanted to include her.

But I guess the fact that she speaks English is what changes the power dynamic and makes her an interesting character: she has an ill-tempered husband that is forced to work as a hitman by her ultra-traditional and very powerful father, she's totally controlled by men, but then on the island it's all like "hah, you need me now Jin because I can communicate with the other survivors and you can't". Pretty difficult to swap the genders given the conservative background they're supposed to have come from.

Oh yeah, I totally agree!. The whole thing wouldn't have worked if they reversed the genders and I can see why they made a role specifically for her because she is a grade A+ actress. They were absolutely perfect in their roles and the chemistry was amazing. It's just a really trippy thing to know after the fact.

When I hear the "sad LOST theme" I always picture their last scene together.Their arc was the only one that could have been it's own tv series.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Another thing unusual is that's she's blonde but dyes her hair black. Who does that, especially in Hollywood?

She was doing that way back in early Frasier, so I guess it's really just her thing?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Another thing unusual is that's she's blonde but dyes her hair black. Who does that, especially in Hollywood?

Surprisingly many. Both Angelina Jolie and Sofia Vergara are natural blondes for example.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Alhazred posted:

Surprisingly many. Both Angelina Jolie and Sofia Vergara are natural blondes for example.

I'm curious: are there any famous dudes that dye their hair?

(Not including ones that do it to hide grey)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

spog posted:

Elvis Presley was famously a blonde.

Matt Leblanc had silver hair throughout the entirety of filming for Friends

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

spog posted:

I’d assume Marilyn Manson.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
David Bowie too.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Bulldog

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Marty Morrissey

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ron Howard is actually a brunette.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sarcopenia posted:

Of all of the cringy things I've seen on SVU, Stuckey and Olivia's pretend hostage seduction of him is the cringiest.

You know, along the lines of that, the episode where they question someone at their job and she pulls out a dominatrix/boot fetish routine to force him to divulge information is right up there there, too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

JediTalentAgent posted:

You know, along the lines of that, the episode where they question someone at their job and she pulls out a dominatrix/boot fetish routine to force him to divulge information is right up there there, too.

Don't forget the time Stabler brought a fire-fetishist to the edge of orgasm by lighting fires in front of him, just for interrogation purposes.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Alhazred posted:

IIRC, Sofia Vergara was because the producers of Modern Family wanted her to have a more "obvious" or stereotypical Latina look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure at least one of those times was the writers getting bored and horny and writing their fetishes into an episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Emma Stone dyes her hair from blonde to red

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Patrick Stewart isn't actually bald.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

Patrick Stewart isn't actually bald.

Yes he is? There's test shots from TNG casting of him with a toupee on even and it looks incredibly stupid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arivia posted:

Yes he is? There's test shots from TNG casting of him with a toupee on even and it looks incredibly stupid.

That's because Gene Roddenberry demanded it for his initial reading

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because Gene Roddenberry demanded it for his initial reading

I know these are a series of joke posts but I believe this to be true.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mu Zeta posted:

If the show's set somewhere that isn't California. There was a 99% invisible episode about casting by looks that featured a Casting Director wigging out in Manhattan for a sec because there were more blondes on the street than brunettes and apparently people think blondes in New York is unrealistic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Roddenberry actually required Johnathan Frakes to shave his face and Denise Crosby to wear a merkin

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Usually, it just cuts to someone hefting a box onto their shoulder and walking away from the detectives saying something like, "I'm not sure what to tell ya!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ryonguy posted:

I know these are a series of joke posts but I believe this to be true.

No, it's true. His toupee was named George, from what I remember. Roddenberry was all "IN THE FUTURE THEY WILL HAVE SOLVED BALDNESS" and everything.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just constantly beam hair onto his head .

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Arivia posted:

No, it's true. His toupee was named George, from what I remember. Roddenberry was all "IN THE FUTURE THEY WILL HAVE SOLVED BALDNESS" and everything.

Maybe they solved it, but what if some choose it? Huh Gene? WHAT THEN?!

Just out-argued a dead guy. :smugdog:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Maybe they solved it, but what if some choose it? Huh Gene? WHAT THEN?!

Just out-argued a dead guy. :smugdog:

I think that's what they ended up settling on, i.e. people were way too cool and advanced for little things like vanity

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Roddenberry actually required Johnathan Frakes to shave his face and Denise Crosby to wear a merkin

The more I read about how Roddenberry managed the Star Trek reboot with the ST:TNG, the more miraculous it becomes that it actually was not a mid-season-replaced abortion.

Today it would surely be "5 episodes and gone forever".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

Roddenberry was all "IN THE FUTURE THEY WILL HAVE SOLVED BALDNESS" and everything.

In fairness to Roddenberry, when Stewart was cast, he (Roddenberry) was asked, "Wouldn't they have cured baldness in the future?" and Roddenberry's meant to have replied, "In the future, they wouldn't care."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Der Kyhe posted:

The more I read about how Roddenberry managed the Star Trek reboot with the ST:TNG, the more miraculous it becomes that it actually was not a mid-season-replaced abortion.

Today it would surely be "5 episodes and gone forever".

Patrick Stewart was pretty sure that would be the case

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Patrick Stewart was pretty sure that would be the case

Yeah, didn't he say that he unpacked his stuff and relocated for real only sometime into the third season or such?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
According to Gene, there is no interpersonal conflict in the future, including mourning for the dead.

But there needs to be an extra seat on the bridge for the ship's therapist.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Arivia posted:

also:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

They should have at least used those looks in an alternate reality episode. Maybe the one where Q gives Picard the chance to change history so he never got stabbed by a Klingon. It turns out that not having that experience leaves him a boring, cautious man, but with a lustrous head of hair. Picard must choose between his career and the bitching mullet he's always wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is blowing my mind because it's like those pictures that are off in some subtle way

also I'd love to read postmortems of these things y'all are saying without sources