Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Do people consider that a good match? Nobody ever talks about the match itself.

I don't think so but who knows.

Also Eddy/Dean Malenko from Starrcade 97 is by far their worst match and WWE even put it on a DVD set for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Survivor Series 97 is an awful, awful show. It's really amazing how much WWF's fantastic 1997 fell apart initially after Cornette got booted.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think Montreal is in that WM3 Hogan vs Andre category where its not necessarily a good match but The Thing Happened so its still notable.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

MassRafTer posted:

And all three are better than Montreal.

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka from ONS is their worst match in the US. Their best match was from the Westchester County Center on a TV taping from December of 99 that aired on NYE.

It's the one where Mike Awesome clotheslines the Spike Dudley girl and she spits out some (fake) teeth.

was she missing the teeth to begin with? because i'm pretty sure i remember her showing off her hosed up grill during a Spike promo after the attack

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbin posted:

was she missing the teeth to begin with? because i'm pretty sure i remember her showing off her hosed up grill during a Spike promo after the attack

I'm not sure honestly. It's something I remember vividly since I was sitting a few feet from where she spit them out and then saw the promo when it aired. Originally I thought "Holy poo poo he knocked out her teeth!" But then year's later someone involved with the show told me it was in fact a work. I was sad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka from ONS is their worst match in the US. Their best match was from the Westchester County Center on a TV taping from December of 99 that aired on NYE.

It's the one where Mike Awesome clotheslines the Spike Dudley girl and she spits out some (fake) teeth.

Is that the one where Tanaka wins the strap?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that the one where Tanaka wins the strap?

That was the week before in I believe Nashville. That's probably their second best match together.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Survivor Series 97 is an awful, awful show. It's really amazing how much WWF's fantastic 1997 fell apart initially after Cornette got booted.

Is starrcade 97 considered a bad show? I watched it and goddamn it was awful. Why are Vincent and mongo on the card and not Harlem heat, mysterio, wright, etc. they're sitting in the crowd, why not put them on????

The previously mentioned Eddie/dean match was the only good match and it was the loving opener.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Starrcade 97 is probably the most disappointing show in the history of wrestling, almost entirely due to Hogan/Sting.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ColeM posted:

Is starrcade 97 considered a bad show? I watched it and goddamn it was awful. Why are Vincent and mongo on the card and not Harlem heat, mysterio, wright, etc. they're sitting in the crowd, why not put them on????

The previously mentioned Eddie/dean match was the only good match and it was the loving opener.

to be honest I don't really mind the card composition that much, Mongo was still popular in the midcard as a horseman and they used him to push Goldberg and Vincent was in a prelim 6 man so whatever

its basically the ending to the top matches that basically kill it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
IYH 5's main event is marred somewhat by the constant cutaways to Davey's wife (who is also Bret's sister)- like there's a good dramatic reason for her concern but not a minute goes by without a close up of her looking worried.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's actually one of the worst shows I've ever seen from WWF, certainly one of the worst from that time period.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

It's a very bad show. There's bait and switches, lots of heel wins, the matches are mostly bad and at best average and it ends in supremely dumb fashion.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

dont even fink about it posted:

It's actually one of the worst shows I've ever seen from WWF, certainly one of the worst from that time period.

The D-Generation X PPV the next month is easily one of the very worst the company has ever done.
Everything you said is still true, however.

Man, despite being such one of the most historic months in BOTH WCW and WWF history--Nov 1997-Dec 1997 produced some god-awful PPVs.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shiki Dan posted:

The D-Generation X PPV the next month is easily one of the very worst the company has ever done.
Everything you said is still true, however.

Man, despite being such one of the most historic months in BOTH WCW and WWF history--Nov 1997-Dec 1997 produced some god-awful PPVs.

it kind of rules that both wwf and wcw had awful theme ppvs for their big rebellious centerpiece stables.

I watched a lot of wcw ppvs last year cause I never really watched wcw and I just wanted to and man that first souled out is one of the most tedious things I've ever watched.

e: stupid phone typos

shiksa fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 17, 2018

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Isn’t that match on one of WWE’s ECW DVDs? The one with the red cover?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

It's a very bad show. There's bait and switches, lots of heel wins, the matches are mostly bad and at best average and it ends in supremely dumb fashion.

And Nash bailing on (what I certainly hope was supposed to be) his jobbing to The Giant.
It was supposed to be the cathartic PPV where the good guys finally get the upper hand and....nope.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

And Nash bailing on (what I certainly hope was supposed to be) his jobbing to The Giant.
It was supposed to be the cathartic PPV where the good guys finally get the upper hand and....nope.

the fans wanted it to be cathartic

Bischoff not so much, there's a reason they did a test run of nWo Nitro as the go-home show

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
To flip the current conversation a little, what would you do if you had to give someone a WWE network sub and three recommended PPVs to watch as their introduction to how actually good wrestling can be.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WM17, NXT Brooklyn 2017, MITB 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Isn’t that match on one of WWE’s ECW DVDs? The one with the red cover?

I don't remember which one but yes I believe so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

flatluigi posted:

To flip the current conversation a little, what would you do if you had to give someone a WWE network sub and three recommended PPVs to watch as their introduction to how actually good wrestling can be.

Great American Bash 1989, Spring Stampede 1994, Canadian Stampede.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flatluigi posted:

WM32. Fastlane 2017. Battleground 2017.

Then I give them a New Japan subscription and give them WK11, Dominion 6.11 and G127 Finals.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's this shite rovert is on about with Abbey A?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's this shite rovert is on about with Abbey A?

Apparently was a person who faked cancer to get money, and is now faking their death. Go to the Chris Regal thread for more

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is honestly the least surprising news

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Are there any attendance figures for the last Nitro? I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years and all the big overhead shots give the impression the number of people actually there was tiny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jetfire posted:

Are there any attendance figures for the last Nitro? I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years and all the big overhead shots give the impression the number of people actually there was tiny.

It's an event held in an outdoor night club I'm not sure if there are figures out there beyond what the capacity of the club was.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did anybody know Omega spoke fluent Japanese before he won the G1? I'm watching the promo and the audience seems pretty surprised.
How many times has he spoken to the crowd in Japanese since then?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember knowing he spoke Japanese before that but I can't remember where I found that out. I think from some interview from either early in his New Japan run or back in his DDT days. It always made his insistence he didn't speak Japanese during New Japan promos even funnier to me, and it was cool as gently caress when he suddenly broke it out that one time.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, Omega was speaking fluent Japanese during his DDT run, all the way up until his first show as a New Japan talent. The funnier instance of a man who insists he doesn't speak Japanese when he really does was when Yujiro Takahashi did the bit right after joining BC :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It doesn't hurt that he's been basically living in Japan for something like 8-10 years, and not just a regular touring gaijin.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, doesn't Kenny have dual citizenship between Japan and Canada now? At least I think he has to, given how long he's lived there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Japan actually doesn't offer dual citizenship, you have to abandon previous citizenship to naturalize in. He most likely is just considered a permanent resident. He probably won't make a decision about whether to pursue naturalization until after he retires.

Which, no one could blame him, the actual process of becoming a Japanese citizen is one of the most goddamn ridiculous things in the world.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Don't you have to take a Japanese name? I think I remember reading Akebono had to change his name when he became Japanese.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You don't necessarily have to if you're Korean or Chinese - as there will likely be kanji that matches up to your name (as after all, kanji is derived from hanzi - Han Chinese - as is hanja, a Korean term/take-off of it, so there's a "swappable" nature at hand). The guy who owns SoftBank, the richest guy in Japan, used this sort of linguistic loophole (which Japan only made legally acceptable in 1983) to basically retain his name in 1990 when he abandoned his Korean citizenship - having been the grandchild of immigrants to Japan who evidently never abandoned their natural citizenship.

But if you have a Latin-derived name like most of the rest of the world, you have to either decide to have your name be phonetically done in katakana (タイソン = TAISON, スミス = SUMISU) or decide on a new name/a name that closely resembles the meaning of the one your parents and bloodline gave to you, at least as far as I understand it (which I believe Akebono did). I imagine like harperdc or someone might be more aware of the peculiarities.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This twitter account has been tweeting articles from old WWF Magazine, and he brought up something I had totally forgotten about. In an issue leading up to WMIV, they spoiled that Macho was winning the thing.

https://twitter.com/DeanRasslin/status/965554076380553219

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

This twitter account has been tweeting articles from old WWF Magazine, and he brought up something I had totally forgotten about. In an issue leading up to WMIV, they spoiled that Macho was winning the thing.

https://twitter.com/DeanRasslin/status/965554076380553219

Eh, it just says champion, not world heavyweight champion. (And at the time the belt was still that, WWE didn't rename it the WWF Championship until 1998)

He already had his year long IC run by that point so the label isn't inaccurate.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

How did Shawn Michaels think he was cute but know he was sexy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

reality_groove posted:

How did Shawn Michaels think he was cute but know he was sexy?

He's got the looks that drive the girls wild.