Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ugh
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-19-bayonetta-2-physical-switch-sales-down-on-wii-u
Well, I guess launching it on a system no one had wasn't as much the problem as we'd like to think. Maybe things will pick up :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's funny when people trash talk NSMB for committing the abominable sin of "just being more good 2D mario games"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

Ugh
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-19-bayonetta-2-physical-switch-sales-down-on-wii-u
Well, I guess launching it on a system no one had wasn't as much the problem as we'd like to think. Maybe things will pick up :ohdear:

wow, that's legitimately surprising to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugh

This is only physical copies and for the U.K. not enough data so this is a useless news article. I bought Bayonetta 1 & 2 last night digitally on Switch. I also bought the games on Wii U when they originally came out on that system.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh physical copies only

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ugh

I, for one, bought the WiiU version physically but the Switch version digitally. Hopefully others did the same.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NSMB is good but it also doesn't rule. It's fine if not kind of boring. They are easily the worst Mario platformers however and their presentation kinda sucks

yeah i think the nsmb games are good, just not super mario world good. plus maybe it's just the illusion of momentum from the 3d models but everything feels just a little imprecise to control compared to smw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NSMB have good level design but honestly...I've always immensely disliked the art and have stopped playing all of them before credits

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's too bad HUNT is no longer coop RE4, this old video still looks great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJstk5hPDjY

Gotta chase that sweet, sweet Battle Royal video game money

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

it's funny when people trash talk NSMB for committing the abominable sin of "just being more good 2D mario games"

It's more that it's average and kind of boring and forgettable.

I mean if it were Mario good, then that would be something but as it is it's just sort of there and it's fine I guess

I just expect more from that series. Good 2D platformers are not rare these days and most of them have more interesting things going on the NSMB. Why would I replay those when I could go for Rayman Origins/Legends which pretty much seemed to go in trying to ripoff NSMB and ended up just dunking on it on all levels?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

NSMB have good level design but honestly...I've always immensely disliked the art and have stopped playing all of them before credits
this

if you made a mario maker level in the New style, your gamer licence should be revoked

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It's more that it's average and kind of boring and forgettable.

I mean if it were Mario good, then that would be something but as it is it's just sort of there and it's fine I guess

I just expect more from that series. Good 2D platformers are not rare these days and most of them have more interesting things going on the NSMB. Why would I replay those when I could go for Rayman Origins/Legends which pretty much seemed to go in trying to ripoff NSMB and ended up just dunking on it on all levels?

I mean, the worst of them (NSMB2 on 3DS) is definitely "too average to bother playing", but the first one and the Wii U one have some really great level design. They're solid, workmanlike games but yeah definitely not on the level of SMW or 3D World/Land.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish they'd just make another paper mario like the first two games dammit
shigeru miyamoto hates good video games, sadly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've never been super big on 2d mario but i think the older 2d ones have lots of imagination and know to spice things up between games, while nsmb is just kind of. all the things i've never really liked about 2d mario without any of the inventiveness

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

shigeru miyamoto hates good video games, sadly

I don't think it was him that made the decision to explicitly move away from the formula of the first two games. IIRC, it was some other person who decided specifically that paper mario had strayed too far from what made mario mario and that they needed to refocus it by taking away the partners and different species and focus on just having lots of toads and using the enemies the enemies that were already established in previous games.

I also remember there being justification about how the mario & luigi games exist so it's a waste to have both mario & luigi as well as paper mario despite them being different kinds of rpgs with different styles and aesthetics.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
miyamoto heard they were making a paper mario game with a story and walked into their offices and beat the poo poo out of them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ45KpBDJPo

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

I've been dying to listen to this soundtrack, or even just consume anything about this game at all, but that fan translation is apparently juuuust around the corner so I gotta hold on

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
TBF after Super Paper Mario I agree that the series was straying to far from its Mario roots. That game barely feels like Mario at times. The new character designs are really weird and the plot is just silly.

Sticker Star and Color Splash just go way too far in the opposite direction.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FauxLeather posted:

I've been dying to listen to this soundtrack, or even just consume anything about this game at all, but that fan translation is apparently juuuust around the corner so I gotta hold on

whoa i didn't know a fan translation was happening. i'm super hyped if so

Internet Kraken posted:

TBF after Super Paper Mario I agree that the series was straying to far from its Mario roots. That game barely feels like Mario at times. The new character designs are really weird and the plot is just silly.

i don't really like the specific direction spm took things but i think going in a super bizarre direction that almost makes it stop feeling like mario is fine. the capacity to be weird and inventive is why paper mario ruled. hell it's why mario odyssey rules

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This interview with color splash's co producer is what I was thinking of.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/risa-tabata-on-paper-mario-color-splash

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Internet Kraken posted:

Super Paper Mario wasn't as good as TTYD, but I still would've preferred two sequels in its vein to the twin piles of bland trash we got.

(also, taken on its own SPM ruled; anyone who disagrees is either a nostalgia nerd or just devoid of taste :colbert:)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Much like Kingdom Hearts, Super Paper Mario veers into telling a way more "serious" story than anyone ever asked it too and it's great. There's so much lore about wizards and tragic romances and past wars and why this girl is a butterfly and this man is an evil dark count and why this magic clown man is evil

It owns

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elephant Parade posted:

(also, taken on its own SPM ruled; anyone who disagrees is either a nostalgia nerd or just devoid of taste :colbert:)

Hell yes, SPM is a great game. Not a great follow up to TTYD but it’s still its own very good thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Color Splash was fantastic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Unfortunately, Super Paper Mario has no loving respect to your time, and is just a dick to you unless you use a guide but I feel some parts are still cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Super Pape Mario either played like a platformer with the pacing of a turned based RPG or an RPG with the depth of a simple platformer. All the weirdness was great but the actual gameplay was really not good and that's ignoring the busywork.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
super paper mario had a lot of issues but it had bits like needing to help a kid dump his fish bowl so you could use it as a makeshift space helmet and going to the space 7/11 to buy chocolate bars to open interdimensional space gates and that stuff owned

and then you could go back to where you dumped the kid's fish hours later and find out that it grew loving shark-sized and had a family of weird little shark fishes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

super paper mario was tolerable enough for me to finish but other than that i have nothing to say about it

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

The Colonel posted:

whoa i didn't know a fan translation was happening. i'm super hyped if so

I've been routinely revisiting this thread for any news for yonks. Sounds like it's real close to completion https://www.neogaf.com/threads/moon-remix-rpg-adventure-fan-translation-project-almost-done-testing-phase.871910/

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

super paper mario had a lot of issues but it had bits like needing to help a kid dump his fish bowl so you could use it as a makeshift space helmet and going to the space 7/11 to buy chocolate bars to open interdimensional space gates and that stuff owned

and then you could go back to where you dumped the kid's fish hours later and find out that it grew loving shark-sized and had a family of weird little shark fishes
also there were skeletons at the bottom of it's home as it devoured the natural sewer wildife

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
OG Paper Mario still the best Paper Mario.

TTYD is dope too but I haven't replayed that one in a decade because Gamecube was the perfect system and we are sinners and will never be blessed with a GC VC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Expect My Mom posted:

Much like Kingdom Hearts, Super Paper Mario veers into telling a way more "serious" story than anyone ever asked it too and it's great. There's so much lore about wizards and tragic romances and past wars and why this girl is a butterfly and this man is an evil dark count and why this magic clown man is evil

It owns

Actually it sucks and is way too serious for a Mario game.

I was glad when that stupid butterfly died.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think N64 Paper Mario moves just a lil too slow (an example being you can't do action commands the entire prologue) but it's a lot cuter and fluffier and I'm very fond of it. The Shy Guys have their own lil toybox world and are just having a good time.

I replayed TTYD recently, doing everything that wasn't just getting collectibles or recipes and that game is still very good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The general white hunt is still unforgivable though.

I dunno what their deal is with just putting in parts that exist solely to waste the player's time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually it sucks and is way too serious for a Mario game.

I was glad when that stupid butterfly died.
you know you can make posts without being a gigantic bummer, right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was never as taken with TYD as most people. It certainly want bad but and I'm not gonna talk poo poo about it but it never grabbed me.

Really for me I never had as much fun with the Mario RPGs as I did with the original Square SNES one. I do also remember really enjoying the original Mario and Luigi but I disliked the sequel and never picked the series back up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Please also play Bowser's Inside Story and then maybe none of the ones after it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Expect My Mom posted:

you know you can make posts without being a gigantic bummer, right?

You know you don't have to care that I hate the story in SPM right?

Phantasium posted:

Please also play Bowser's Inside Story and then maybe none of the ones after it.

I thought I enjoyed Dream Team but then again I never bothered to finish it. I just didn't feel engaged with the setting or story that time around, even if the gameplay was really good.

Never seen much of Paper Jam or heard people talk about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

The general white hunt is still unforgivable though.

I dunno what their deal is with just putting in parts that exist solely to waste the player's time.

Pretty sure the Paper Mario devs just enjoy trolling their players. The amount of stuff that wastes your time with pointless busywork increases as you go from the first game to SPM. SPM in particular seems to actively hate completionists; when you do one of the 100 trial challenges, the game just tells you to do the entire thing again for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
SMRPG is really cool but it feels way more like a Square RPG that they put mario characters in and nowadays I don't feel it really matches with the rest of the series.

It's weird and fun tho for sure

• Locked thread