Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

tarbrush posted:

It would be nice as a player to be able to release a city to another faction, or reestablish an existing one a la paradox games.

I'll admit I'd really prefer a way to demand a city from an ally rather than just betraying their asses and warring with them till they peace treaty me. Than again I am skaven so this is pretty much par for the course.

God I love skaven. I love it when the enemy encircles my skaven slaves and my warpthrowers come along and hose them down with the indifference of a man hosing the ants off their driveway. I love it when my deathrunners descend on some archer mob, I fuckin' love lobbing artillery and death magic into my own ranks without a single gently caress to give. Although I wish there was an option to make your ranged units fire regardless of obstruction. If you're between warpthrowers and infantry than I put you there for a reason.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Motherfucker posted:

I'll admit I'd really prefer a way to demand a city from an ally rather than just betraying their asses and warring with them till they peace treaty me. Than again I am skaven so this is pretty much par for the course.

I suspect that including it as a diplomatic option would let people cheese the AI too easily.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is ME still broken with Chaos/Dwarf spam and incorrect difficulty settings?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ragingsheep posted:

Is ME still broken with Chaos/Dwarf spam and incorrect difficulty settings?

Dwarfs got nearly destroyed by Orcs in my current VC campaign. Chaos were a manageable number of stacks, nothing like the horror stories I've heard about. I heard difficulty settings were fixed, not but I'm not certain.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Did they change the southern Chaos stack spawns? In my earlier ME as Last Defenders they spawned in the middle of the desert, i.e. my province, completely loving me over with no armies at home. In my last TK playthrough they spawned in the sea between the continents, which was much more manageable.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Do the Chaos stacks also still beeline for the player, or actually fight along the way?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vlex posted:

Do the Chaos stacks also still beeline for the player, or actually fight along the way?

Can't recall if CA fixed the Chaos invasion, but in case they didn't and you're not happy about that, this mod will reinstate the time-based trigger for the Chaos Invasion to happen as well as ensuring the Chaos subfactions start at war with nearly everyone and removing their laser focus on the player: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1183083111

I was convinced it was broken earlier, but there's a window of time for the 150/200 invasion thresholds. I got the first wave at about 156 or 157, so don't fret if it doesn't seem to be working.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

tarbrush posted:

It would be nice as a player to be able to release a city to another faction, or reestablish an existing one a la paradox games.

my man, have you heard about mods

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1155808469

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Liberating is nice, especially if you mix it with the "Liberate as Vassal" mod. Still, it won't be enough until you can capture a city and just straight up give it to another faction through diplomacy instead of having to piggyback off stuff like "what to do with captured settlement" triggers and scripts.

Warhammer and Total War and all, but at a certain point I gotta admit to myself that I just want some Paradox-esque (or not even, some of these functions were in older games) diplomatic interactions in the game so I can get my pretty borders on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The liberation part was always nice in that mod since if a faction had a leader you wanted and the faction died, you could just go create it again then confederate it later.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

tarbrush posted:

Trading territories straight up used to be in the old games and they need it now more than ever due to the province system. It sucks having to betray your forever buddies because they actually helped you out in a war and are now preventing you from getting a province edict.

Never ally your neighbors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Acute Grill posted:

Trading territories straight up used to be in the old games and they need it now more than ever due to the province system. It sucks having to betray your forever buddies because they actually helped you out in a war and are now preventing you from getting a province edict.

Or when victory conditions demand you straight-up own poo poo.

"Are you sure it's not okay for my military ally Kislev, who reinforced my armies when Chaos came a-knocking and saved Altdorf from the Von Carsteins to hold on to Kislev?"

"No, you alone must own it. The Arbitrary Council has spoken."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Friends? this is fuckin' warhams mate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It doesn't feel entirely fitting that Khatep has to pry the black pyramid out of Settra's hands and also most of his cities to win.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve said it before but I wish the ME campaign goals were more focused.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the "8 capitals minimum" requirement is the dealbreaker for me, TBH. I know you can technically get it pretty easily if the "good" factions are alive since the Shield of Civilization bonus is usually enough for a military alliance, but it kinda makes the Age of Peace mechanic obsolete that way since you might just be able to trigger the victory right as you dunk on Archaon for the final time.

If not the turn timer, then at least cut down the required number of provinces to trigger the invasion. As it stands, the Empire should practically be united and the Dwarf Holds covering the entire Badlands and the eastern mountain range just to start the first wave.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

There’s a Chaos invasion in ME? I never get that far before the urge to start a new campaign overwhelms me. The first thirty turns are the most fun anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Refried Noodle posted:

There’s a Chaos invasion in ME? I never get that far before the urge to start a new campaign overwhelms me. The first thirty turns are the most fun anyway.

Yeah, they changed it to require Imperium level, so your empire has to be pretty drat big to even trigger the first wave, and then you have to keep expanding during the invasion to summon Archaon. It's really poorly done; my Empire run had me holding most of the Grey Mountains, Tilea, and the Border Princes on top of the southern and eastern half of the Empire just to pop off the first wave. Thanks heavens for modders, I guess.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Motherfucker posted:

Friends? this is fuckin' warhams mate.

Yeah I'm well aware that Warhams diplomacy is just an engine to manage how many wars you're in at once but it would be nice if I could get the AI to understand that no, Louen, that city always belonged to me you were just garrisoning it for a few turns. Thank you and go back to France now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

uh all diplomacy, even in the real world, is just a halt to hostilities, not an end to them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The total warhams diplo seems like the best yet to me? They act semi-reasonable and you can actually make game-long friends if you want.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think they are, even on VH; it's just that diplo AI doesn't affect them ganking settlements in your provinces or whatever. That's a game mechanics issue, not a diplomacy one.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Anyone who wants to make friends for extended periods of time is alos the kind've person who gets wiped out in five turns and whose trade deals are loving worthless, lookin' at you vampire counts.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Why are the border princes such autists in diplomacy by the way? Surely there is lore explaining that.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can make deals with strong factions if your power rating is super high in addition to having good relations. Best time to make trade deals is when you confederate a faction and shoot up the power scale from inheriting their armies (if they have any).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Refried Noodle posted:

Why are the border princes such autists in diplomacy by the way? Surely there is lore explaining that.

The border princes describes an area composed of two primary groups.

The first are those who live there that have lots of money and think that poo poo is too hosed up and that they need one leader and that they are that leader.
the second group are those who just moved there and think that they have the solution to this mess and that solution is that they are the new leader.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The border princes are best described as a near Lawless Hellhole.

Pretty much someone will take a chunk of it's land for themself declare themselves a Prince and rule over that piece. That person varies throughout the Border Princes from Rich Former Noble to some Bandit. Most of these new "Principalitys" as they call them are usually quickly wiped out by new aspiring princes or Greenskinz. And then a new one pops up in it's place.

Here is the average Border Prince.

Here is the average Principality

Here are some in universe quotes that describe the area pretty well.

quote:

"Aye, we’ve a prince. Why, we’ve had a dozen in just the last year! They’re pop’lar in these here lands."
—Sap Reinhorf, Dirt Farmer

quote:

"Ha! You call this starving lot of dogs peasants? Why the wretches in Couronne were better fed than this lot. Useless, every last one of them."
—The Last Words of Sir Jacques Duflot Bretonnian Knight.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c-X8HiBng <---- border princes

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 20, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Border Princes are pretty much where everyone dumps the people they find really annoying, but don't want to bother to kill.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So Galt's Gulch right?

:smug: "Screw those oppressive elector counts! I going to go off and found my own kingdom!"

*Entire kingdom is sexually assaulted by Beastmen ten turns later *

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Except in this case the "kingdom" consists of anything from a collection of mud huts to a small town with a palisade. Particularly powerful border princes might have two or even THREE towns in their sphere of influence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Except in this case the "kingdom" consists of anything from a collection of mud huts to a small town with a palisade. Particularly powerful border princes might have two or even THREE towns in their sphere of influence.

All of which are considered crapholes compared to any other Human Kingdom.

Like I think the biggest and strongest "City" in the Border Princes is comparable to a small town in the Empire.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

All of which are considered crapholes compared to any other Human Kingdom.

Like I think the biggest and strongest "City" in the Border Princes is comparable to a small town in the Empire.

There's a couple of major Border Prince cities. Akendorf is a fair sized city with stone walls and everything, for example.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s also that Good Guy Vampire, his place is supposed to be nice

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
As Vampire Counts I've conquered two thirds of the old world and have cities bringing in 90k dark magic a turn. I can't afford 7 stacks.

I think I'm going to cave and mod upkeep because +15% per lord is bullshit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here are some in universe quotes that describe the area pretty well.

Man, when a Bretonnian is bragging that their peasants are better you know your country is the absolute pits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

There's a couple of major Border Prince cities. Akendorf is a fair sized city with stone walls and everything, for example.

It's still a small town by Empire Standards. It has a population of around 800. The largest principality and realm in the Border Princes has a population of 7000. Both of them are part of the same group

quote:

The Northern Border Confederacy is a mutual alliance of several quite different settlements who work together for protection. It includes;
Akendorf currently ruled by Lord Durant as part of an electoral monarchy system. They have a population of approximately 800 and have an economy centred around timber, woodcarvings, hogs and trapping.
The Duchy of Brovska is ruled by Duke Beaucamp. It has a population of approximately 500, and there economy is based on Agriculture and cattle farming.
Munzig is a simple dictatorship ruled by Graf von Erhard. It has a population of approximately 520, and there economy is based on timber, sheep and market industry.
Styrtia is a traditional principality ruled by High Prince Bela. It has a population of approximately 450, and there economy is based on Agriculture and cattle farming and vineyards
Myrmidens was founded by settlers from Luccinni in Tilea, it is the largest realm of the Border princes consisting of several towns and villages with a population of approximately 7000.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a reason why the total war forums community has an absolute raging hateboner for mp?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Has anyone had a quest for a legendary item just fail to fire sometimes? Volkmar just hit level 8, he's got the item listed as having a check in his little skill screen, but the first step in the quest, or there being a quest at all, isn't starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
This often happens when you reload a save on the same turn the quest popped, or the same turn a new stage of the mission triggered. So try not to crash during those turns! Can also happen at other times.