Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The movie is partly about how and why the Wakandans are allied with the CIA. Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The movie is partly about how and why the Wakandans are allied with the CIA. Come on.

Not really, Ross doesn't do anything in any official capacity after coming to Wakanda and there's no sign he ever tells his superiors about anything that's happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wakanda has its own CIA. The guy in charge and his secret police chief repeatedly scold his ex for potentially revealing state secrets.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Not really, Ross doesn't do anything in any official capacity after coming to Wakanda and there's no sign he ever tells his superiors about anything that's happened.

how is he not acting in any "official capacity"? what does that even mean? how on earth is he not acting in an "official capacity" when he's actively assisting with a coup?

:psyduck:

i just love the "well he's on PTO so it doesn't matter that he works for the cia"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

how is he not acting in any "official capacity"? what does that even mean? how on earth is he not acting in an "official capacity" when he's actively assisting with a coup?

:psyduck:

i just love the "well he's on PTO so it doesn't matter that he works for the cia"

This seems like a pretty disingenuous line of questioning considering your edit is preemptively making fun of the answer you think I'm going to give to the rest of the post despite your claims that you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ross's superiors at the CIA: "so whatever happened with that whole thing where you were going to buy some vibranium for us and then you instead took the guy into custody and disappeared for several days after you were reported shot by your colleagues. Oh you don't want to discuss it? Okay that's cool, whatevs"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The earlier parts of the movie already establish he hides things from his superiors.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it actually a coup if you're just putting the guy who got coup'd in the first place back in charge? And also you're primarily stopping the new guy from passing laser guns around the world so

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know how he explains it and I don't actually care, because it's not in the movie and is frankly pretty irrelevant to the way events play out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Is it actually a coup if you're just putting the guy who got coup'd in the first place back in charge? And also you're primarily stopping the new guy from passing laser guns around the world so

Well but that's assuming the CIA even finds out after those other agents relinquished custody of his bullet riddled body to the leader of a supposedly third world country. Probably they would side with his actions tho, but they probably didn't press him too hard for details lol

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arist posted:

This seems like a pretty disingenuous line of questioning considering your edit is preemptively making fun of the answer you think I'm going to give to the rest of the post despite your claims that you have no idea what I'm talking about.

the questions are rhetorical OP

because it's absurd to say that he's not acting in an "official capacity"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

It's not like the guy cheated. It was a legitimate and fair transfer of power.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not like the guy cheated. It was a legitimate and fair transfer of power.

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

the questions are rhetorical OP

because it's absurd to say that he's not acting in an "official capacity"

In what respect does he perform his job as a CIA agent in the few days he spends in Wakanda? For the vast majority of that time, he is either hiding or fleeing with the royal family and the only notable action he performs the entire time he's there is done with the explicit instruction of locals who know far more than he does.

Nobody in the CIA knows where the gently caress he is, nothing he does is sanctioned, you know exactly what the hell I mean. That's not saying the CIA is good, or that he should be waiting for orders, or whatever. It's just saying that as far as it affects his character he might as well have quit his job five minutes before taking the bullet for Nakia, because it affects nothing outside of his presence in the UN scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is the plot of Iron Man 2. Tony is justified in benefitting from stolen technology because it's water under the bridge, yet he is also justified in ruthlessly crushing a competitor because stealing is wrong.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

wakanda doesn't have democratic elections, the elite of 3 of the 4 political parties agree on a candidate and hope their candidate defeat whomever the 4th party puts forward--and a new "election" can be called by anyone who has a blood relation to the current ruler

Killmonger "legally" won the throne, and T'challa rules lawyered him and all but one of the political parties are ok with that because they simply like T'challa more

Arist posted:

In what respect does he perform his job as a CIA agent in the few days he spends in Wakanda? For the vast majority of that time, he is either hiding or fleeing with the royal family and the only notable action he performs the entire time he's there is done with the explicit instruction of locals who know far more than he does.

Nobody in the CIA knows where the gently caress he is, nothing he does is sanctioned, you know exactly what the hell I mean. That's not saying the CIA is good, or that he should be waiting for orders, or whatever. It's just saying that as far as it affects his character he might as well have quit his job five minutes before taking the bullet for Nakia, because it affects nothing outside of his presence in the UN scene.

he doesn't clock in at CIA HQ in virginia, he's not a receptionist or accountant or something like that

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 21, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would go so far as to say they have been dominated by this particular clan for a long time, given their reaction to Erik.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Killmonger did not legally win the crown. T'Challa never yielded nor was he killed. :v:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Arist posted:

But yo he is on the job when he takes the bullet and his fellow agents are the ones who willingly give him to the Wakandan king (who they supposedly think is just some rich ruler of a normal third world country??)

Like at the very least the CIA is going to be blowing up his phone wanting to know what happened with his mission that went totally loving sideways and resulted in:

1. him not obtaining the vibranium he was supposed to buy
2. him taking the guy they were supposed to buy the vibranium from into custody after a bunch of poo poo got wrecked
3. the guy they had in custody getting taken from under their nose and disappearing off the face of the loving earth
4. him getting shot and then stabilized by some future tech the Wakandan royal family just happened to have in their drat pockets
5. him disappearing off the face of the earth for several days

Like it's the CIA he didn't disappear from his job as a bank teller or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

he doesn't clock in at CIA HQ in virginia, he's not a receptionist or accountant or something like that

You didn't answer the question.

This is the plot of Iron Man 2. Tony is justified in benefitting from stolen technology because it's water under the bridge, yet he is also justified in ruthlessly crushing a competitor because stealing is wrong.

this is obvious bait, but holy poo poo, what the gently caress are you talking about

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Roth posted:

Killmonger did not legally win the crown. T'Challa never yielded nor was he killed. :v:

They had more than enough opportunity to simply suspend the kingship.

Arist posted:

this is obvious bait, but holy poo poo, what the gently caress are you talking about

Why T'challa's coup is not a coup.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arist posted:

You didn't answer the question.

Q: "In what respect does he perform his job as a CIA agent in the few days he spends in Wakanda?"

A: Literally everything he does in Wakanda is him performing his job as a CIA agent because his job as a CIA is intrinsic to who he is. Literally everything he does is him performing his job as a CIA agent. This is true of professions far short of those in a high level intelligence agency as well.

You're essentially asking "In what respect does James Bond perform his job as MI6 agent when he's in a car chase/kidnapped by bad guys/shooting lasers in space"

everything he does is his job as CIA agent

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arist posted:

I love both this movie and Civil War, so I'm loath to point this out, but outside of the scenes with Bucky in both films they take place like, a week apart.

Did you know in that week, T'Challa also finally visited Disneyworld since his Dad never took him there? I mean, poor guy never had a proper childhood. He went with Cap, which was also his first time. Black Widow was the adult of the group.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I guess you can say him giving them CIA intel on Killmonger might constitute a betrayal, but it is equally likely that he is making a judgement call since Killmonger is obviously a rogue agent planning on doing some big time terrorism. In which case the CIA case file he walks them through seems like something a CIA agent would do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guy A. Person posted:

But yo he is on the job when he takes the bullet and his fellow agents are the ones who willingly give him to the Wakandan king (who they supposedly think is just some rich ruler of a normal third world country??)

Like at the very least the CIA is going to be blowing up his phone wanting to know what happened with his mission that went totally loving sideways and resulted in:

1. him not obtaining the vibranium he was supposed to buy
2. him taking the guy they were supposed to buy the vibranium from into custody after a bunch of poo poo got wrecked
3. the guy they had in custody getting taken from under their nose and disappearing off the face of the loving earth
4. him getting shot and then stabilized by some future tech the Wakandan royal family just happened to have in their drat pockets
5. him disappearing off the face of the earth for several days

Like it's the CIA he didn't disappear from his job as a bank teller or something.

The scene where he explains (or, as implied, lies about) what happened to his superiors is not in this movie, so I am fundamentally incapable of telling you how he does it. I don't know why you're asking me in the first place, because not only do I not have those answers, as I stated earlier, I don't think it actually matters.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure that Ross still having his job at the end at least implies the CIA was ok with what he did.

They had more than enough opportunity to simply suspend the kingship.

I know I'm not the most attentive person while watching movies due to my issues with staying focused on one thing for too long, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a plot point?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Arist posted:

The scene where he explains (or, as implied, lies about) what happened to his superiors is not in this movie, so I am fundamentally incapable of telling you how he does it. I don't know why you're asking me in the first place, because not only do I not have those answers, as I stated earlier, I don't think it actually matters.

I'm not asking you anything (??) I'm pointing out details you seem to be missing as you insist that the CIA has nothing to do with a movie that had a subplot about a CIA agent getting shot and ending up with the good guys just in time for him to explain the tactics of the bad guy ex-CIA agent who is trying to kill everyone

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arist posted:

why is it important to you that Ross be a rogue agent

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I didn't really care for this movie (although not outright bad, it was merely pedestrian); i think the discussion here overstates how much it had to say and how it said it but at any rate

Having a melee single-combat duel to determine who gets to lead is probably the worst possible way to run a government

Just saying

Edit: oh and Angela Basset is looking gorgeous, i seriously cant believe she's nearly sixty

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Q: "In what respect does he perform his job as a CIA agent in the few days he spends in Wakanda?"

A: Literally everything he does in Wakanda is him performing his job as a CIA agent because his job as a CIA is intrinsic to who he is. Literally everything he does is him performing his job as a CIA agent. This is true of professions far short of those in a high level intelligence agency as well.

You're essentially asking "In what respect does James Bond perform his job as MI6 agent when he's in a car chase/kidnapped by bad guys/shooting lasers in space"

everything he does is his job as CIA agent

Then you've watered down the original argument to the point of absolute meaninglessness.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not asking you anything (??) I'm pointing out details you seem to be missing as you insist that the CIA has nothing to do with a movie that had a subplot about a CIA agent getting shot and ending up with the good guys just in time for him to explain the tactics of the bad guy ex-CIA agent who is trying to kill everyone

I never loving said that, dude. I said there's no reason to believe that the CIA and Wakanda are necessarily allied at the end of the movie, not that the CIA is somehow divorced entirely from the story, an argument you seem to have wholly invented just now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ammanas posted:

I didn't really care for this movie (although not outright bad, it was merely pedestrian); i think the discussion here overstates how much it had to say and how it said it but at any rate

Having a melee single-combat duel to determine who gets to lead is probably the worst possible way to run a government

Just saying

Would we say the same if it was moderated by heel Vince McMahon and it involved Brock Lesnar?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Roth posted:

I know I'm not the most attentive person while watching movies due to my issues with staying focused on one thing for too long, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a plot point?

Doesn't Okoye go out of her way to say they should honor the transfer of power? Either she's being naive in the sense that she, like everyone else, is assuming that T'Challa is dead, or she is less attached to hereditary succession than she originally let on.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ross is just a small ordinary person who doesn't want any trouble that ends up going on an unexpected journey, meeting new friends and finding in himself a courage he didn't know he had.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Ross is a lot less James Bond and a lot more befuddled outsider. He is clearly not operating on agenda and spends the vast part of the movie trying to catch up on people living on a higher level than he is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Arist posted:

I never loving said that, dude. I said there's no reason to believe that the CIA and Wakanda are necessarily allied at the end of the movie, not that the CIA is somehow divorced entirely from the story, an argument you seem to have wholly invented just now.

It was an argument that started on the last page that you jumped into, so I assumed you were on the side of the people saying exactly that*

But if I misinterpreted you I apologize. No need to get all worked up and poo poo.

*For reference:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

...Either he’s meant to be emblematic of the CIA generally, and that’s a very generous view of the CIA, or he’s just a dude who happens to be a CIA agent and the movie has nothing to say about the CIA at all.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the second one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doesn't Okoye go out of her way to say they should honor the transfer of power? Either she's being naive in the sense that she, like everyone else, is assuming that T'Challa is dead, or she is less attached to hereditary succession than she originally let on.

She's assuming T'Challa is dead. I mean, the dude got thrown off a high cliff after getting the poo poo beat out of him. I don't think anybody would be naive in assuming he's done for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
But the contention is that it's not known whether he's dead or not. Sensible thing to do would be to suspend the kingship rather than bowing to a guy you just met.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

But the contention is that it's not known whether he's dead or not. Sensible thing to do would be to suspend the kingship rather than bowing to a guy you just met.

I mean, I guess? I'll admit, I was mostly just making a snarky nitpick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darth Brooks posted:

Ross is a lot less James Bond and a lot more befuddled outsider. He is clearly not operating on agenda and spends the vast part of the movie trying to catch up on people living on a higher level than he is.

This is actually a genuinely accurate plot summary of 3/4 of all James Bond movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't it seem odd that they move on fairly quickly?

• Locked thread