Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like Outlook. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Outlook: not so good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Worst thing I ever did was use a brand new 1000 node cluster to render a blender scene as a "burnin" for the processors. It was some fan-made lord of the rings thing and I cranked all the ray tracing options to maximum and told it to make a a 6000x6000 pixel image.

Sure, I probably should have used mprime. But where's the fun in that when I could order 16,000 cores to render a wallpaper at a resolution no monitor could display for another 10 years? For a day I pretended I worked on Pixar's render farm.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Outlook is fine as long as people don't use it as an all-in-one storage area for all their crap. Thankfully we're putting a retention policy in place and our higher ups are talking about disabling ability to create PST files because of all the issues we see with them (plus people keep literal decades of poo poo they don't need). Sure it'll go over like a fart in church, but with the amount of mail that gets blatantly ignored or skimmed and problems we've had with repairing/splitting PSTs, I'm happy to drink some end user bitch tears and point them to complain to the guys that make 3-4x my salary.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Talking with someone on the project team who has been a huge pain in my rear end because she keeps forgetting stuff I tell her even when there are emails to look back on. I said in a project meeting today that there are cost codes available that shouldn’t be available for each project (codes from the master list are assigned to each individual project so hypothetically they can’t charge to the wrong codes). That means that the project managers could make more mistakes like the $1.6 million one they found yesterday. The other people disagreed so I pulled code lists to compare. I was right, so I sent out an email with the Excel sheet comparing the available codes for a random project. This woman takes a look, calls me, and sends a really screwy looking spreadsheet.

She says “I see that there are some codes not assigned to the budget, but all of the codes in the budget are valid according to the list the CFO sent a couple months ago.”

“What list?”

“I’ll send it to you.”

She sends me a list with every single code that exists in the entire system.

“This is irrelevant, we’re talking about the codes assigned to the project. They’re on tab 5 of the project file.”

“Tab five of what document?”

“The project entry in [ERP System].”

“....Where do I find that?”

This is the point where I gestured wildly and mouthed “HOW THE gently caress DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT?” before instructing her on how to find the basic information about a project on our ERP system.

And she’s the loving manager of her team. I just found that out a few weeks ago. She’s the new one, but she got hired as a manager despite repeatedly proving herself to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

I know this might seem confusing from my quick phone typing, but this morning we literally spent 45 minutes discussing whether codes were available to projects and what codes should be available to projects.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 21, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay... our telecom provider finally switched us over to SIP trunks. Only took 1 month and 3 days after making the original request.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

stevewm posted:

Yay... our telecom provider finally switched us over to SIP trunks. Only took 1 month and 3 days after making the original request.

That fast? Wow. I'd kill for our telecom providers to be that responsive.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So 21 days and counting with no Paycheck from old company and HR is pretty much blowing me off. I contacted our old account executive and he said he’s gonna get it checked out.

I’ve got my paperwork ready to file with the state about this. I think I’m going to wait and see what the AE can do first.

I’m tempted to file regardless to get the waiting time penalty I could get by law here in CA. That’ll be almost 5 grand if not over depending on when I get the check. Waiting to actually get the Paycheck is easier too since I won’t have to prove what they owe me, just that they made me wait.

I’m hesitant to do this though because it will certainly piss people off. I know legally they can’t retaliate, but who knows what’ll happen down the line. But on the other hand, the amount of people who will have knowledge of this is small and almost none even in this state probably. This is a big corporation and I knew basically no one beyond my account.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

skooma512 posted:

So 21 days and counting with no Paycheck from old company and HR is pretty much blowing me off. I contacted our old account executive and he said he’s gonna get it checked out.

I’ve got my paperwork ready to file with the state about this. I think I’m going to wait and see what the AE can do first.

I’m tempted to file regardless to get the waiting time penalty I could get by law here in CA. That’ll be almost 5 grand if not over depending on when I get the check. Waiting to actually get the Paycheck is easier too since I won’t have to prove what they owe me, just that they made me wait.

I’m hesitant to do this though because it will certainly piss people off. I know legally they can’t retaliate, but who knows what’ll happen down the line. But on the other hand, the amount of people who will have knowledge of this is small and almost none even in this state probably. This is a big corporation and I knew basically no one beyond my account.

Sounds like they're still blowing you off. "Gonna get it checked out" = "I'll ask someone about this vaguely when I have the time if I remember."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I’m hesitant to do this though because it will certainly piss people off.

You should not give a single, solitary gently caress. What possible bridge could you burning that they didn't already douse with gasoline? If you end up working for this company again, I think it's a given this entire thread will mock you.

skooma512 posted:

This shouldn't even be in question. You file that poo poo. If you want to wait until they deliver your actual check, that's on you. But definitely file for the delay and anything they may have left off (like outstanding PTO they owe you).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress them, get your loving money. You’ve given them your labour, they’ve had the value of that. Now they need to pay up.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress them, get your loving money. You’ve given them your labour, they’ve had the value of that. Now they need to pay up.

Dear god this. File that poo poo.

Be Paulie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Let the CA Labor board gently caress them with the tenderness of a gorilla. Also call an employment lawyer and get that class action moving :homebrew:

Two things you don't gently caress with:
- A person's paycheck
- A person's SATA cables.

:commissar: them

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

skooma512 posted:

File, file, file, file, file. gently caress those clowns and the criminal act that they are personally commiting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

There is zero reason to wait. If they end up paying you, you can cancel the filing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWESB56wcxY

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

You should not give a single, solitary gently caress. What possible bridge could you burning that they didn't already douse with gasoline? If you end up working for this company again, I think it's a given this entire thread will mock you.

This shouldn't even be in question. You file that poo poo. If you want to wait until they deliver your actual check, that's on you. But definitely file for the delay and anything they may have left off (like outstanding PTO they owe you).

Yeah for sure. They didn’t pay me market rate this whole time it turns out.

Just wish I had known I was getting a 5k windfall, I would have gotten a nicer guitar.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

That fast? Wow. I'd kill for our telecom providers to be that responsive.

I was actually surprised it took that long because it rarely ever does. They are a small company.. The VP is also the main telephony technician and also the one that finally called me with the SIP info and switched our numbers over.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
One of our sites decided to move their video conference system out of one room and into a new room. In the process, they lost video conference base that the camera and microphone plug into. It is also the part that costs about 5 grand.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

skooma512 posted:

OTOH, who knows how many other people they have done this to? And maybe you are the straw that breaks the corrupt camel's back... (Because, you know, everyone else thought the way you did.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

There is zero reason to wait. If they end up paying you, you can cancel the filing.

Hell no, don't cancel. They already owe you a waiting time penalty. It's increasing every business day, only stop the clock when you get the loving check.

tl;dr Get the loving check.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Hell no, don't cancel. They already owe you a waiting time penalty. It's increasing every business day, only stop the clock when you get the loving check.

tl;dr Get the loving check.

It's increasing every calendar day :v:. They'll pay me a penalty for every calendar day up to 30 if it gets to the point.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

skooma512 posted:

It's increasing every calendar day :v:. They'll pay me a penalty for every calendar day up to 30 if it gets to the point.

If your next post isn't "So I filed the paperwork at lunch today" I'm gonna be so disappointed with you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If your next post isn't "So I filed the paperwork at lunch today" I'm gonna be so disappointed with you.

Not emptyquoting, just quoting for added emphasis.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Are they the type of company who would be using every rule, procedure and legal avenue against you should the situation be somehow reversed?

Search your heart. You know it to be true.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Don't be part of the $933 million dollar problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Merge duplicates" should not be used by anyone that doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing. Just gently caress everything up would ya.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

"Merge duplicates" should not be used by anyone that doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing. Just gently caress everything up would ya.

Merge, drop, update

shouldn't generally be used any anyone who don't know what they are doing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Having never before ventured forth into the realm of VoIP... I am pretty amazed at our new SIP trunk. Calls sound so much better. I didn't expect the difference to be that great.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ConfusedUs posted:

Sounds like they're still blowing you off. "Gonna get it checked out" = "I'll ask someone about this vaguely when I have the time if I remember."

They could be serious, but someone else just doesn't want to give in. I once worked at a place that the CFO felt a contractor didn't complete a job (they did, the CFO signed off on the spec sheet, and they did the spec sheet. CFO assumed a dozen other things would be included and they were the important parts.)

Guy was calling asking for a check for weeks before calling me. It took 3 months of it being late, me pleading with the CFO to just pay the man, and the guy getting a lawyer to send a letter.

He settled for less than half the cost of the check, with a signed copy of a statement that says he will not pursue the rest and the reduced pay is a reflection is the unfinished worked that we then had to hire someone else to complete.

Guy should have gotten all he could have. That place never ever paid outside contractors in full and never trusted them. They called me once and asked for my rate, now they were never late paying me but I saw how they paid non full time employees in the past. I wanted money up front for the day and to be paid by the day. I was dead serious, and they found someone else.

I'd never work there as an outside contractor without money in hand.

So seriously gently caress this place, I watched them steal over a million from contractors over the time I spent there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that's pissing me off.

Just had a data entry project dumped on me. Its mostly mind numbing bullshit with the added bonus that I get to try to get additional data from clients who don't usually send out data.

This isn't actually my job or what I meant when I said "I don't mind helping out a little bit if i've got nothing to do", mainly because I actually have poo poo to do. If I had literally nothing to do, I wouldn't care.

Then again, the boss does buy me beer and actually say's well done when i've dealt with something stressful (never actually had that before), so i'm willing to do this as its not going to bury me with work, its just boring.

Am I dumb? Probably, but the way i'm doing this data entry is automating it and making sure that nobody ever does this again, so i'm thinking I can just use it to angle for a raise next year or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Having never before ventured forth into the realm of VoIP... I am pretty amazed at our new SIP trunk. Calls sound so much better. I didn't expect the difference to be that great.
VoIP is my day job and I'm happy to sing its praises all day, but this really shouldn't be the case unless your old service had something horribly wrong with it.

A typical VoIP trunk will use the same G.711 codec as is used on T1 PRIs and ISDN BRIs. Quality should be literally identical between them when things are working correctly.

It is technically possible to use some of the wideband "HD Voice" codecs over SIP trunks but most carriers don't support that, or only support it for on-network calls. If your system supports these modes internally though it should be very impressive.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

VoIP is my day job and I'm happy to sing its praises all day, but this really shouldn't be the case unless your old service had something horribly wrong with it.

A typical VoIP trunk will use the same G.711 codec as is used on T1 PRIs and ISDN BRIs. Quality should be literally identical between them when things are working correctly.

It is technically possible to use some of the wideband "HD Voice" codecs over SIP trunks but most carriers don't support that, or only support it for on-network calls. If your system supports these modes internally though it should be very impressive.

I think the issue was the path going through a few conversions.. From carrier (fiber) to Adtran box which presented analog lines. Then those analog lines where connected to the FXO ports on our VoIP system. You could hear a tiny bit of compression artifacts in both directions like a cellphone call. Though it could also be that the FXO ports on our phone system where not that great at converting back to digital.

But it also sounds better than our old Analog system (which was connected to the Adtran box via the analog lines).

And the trunk is using G711.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm already disappointed that he didn't file yesterday after the bullshit non-answer he got.

FILE THE PAPERS SKOOMA

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Some dick hole decided to move our DHCP server from Hyper-V to vSphere, and wanted to alter its configuration beforehand but cocked it up by blowing out the formatting of the config file (I think we use ISC?) so we had ~problems~ in the morning.

Nothing overly difficult to overcome but its more the fact of some guy from another site going "Yo dudes imma change some stuff hold onto yer butts" with no drat notice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Super Slash posted:

Some dick hole decided to move our DHCP server from Hyper-V to vSphere, and wanted to alter its configuration beforehand but cocked it up by blowing out the formatting of the config file (I think we use ISC?) so we had ~problems~ in the morning.

Nothing overly difficult to overcome but its more the fact of some guy from another site going "Yo dudes imma change some stuff hold onto yer butts" with no drat notice.

If you’re moving something just move it, don’t change a bunch of stuff at the same time

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The curse of "while I'm here I may as well update this other thing" during maintenance windows. If you didn't plan for it, don't do it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s 10 AM and I’m already on coffee #3. It’s going to take a lot to handle these idiots today.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

I think the issue was the path going through a few conversions.. From carrier (fiber) to Adtran box which presented analog lines. Then those analog lines where connected to the FXO ports on our VoIP system. You could hear a tiny bit of compression artifacts in both directions like a cellphone call. Though it could also be that the FXO ports on our phone system where not that great at converting back to digital.

But it also sounds better than our old Analog system (which was connected to the Adtran box via the analog lines).

And the trunk is using G711.
That'd do it. Analog to analog connections often have hard to tune echo cancellation issues, and if you were also hearing some digital compression artifacts the provider was likely using G.729 or similar to the Adtran. If you're straight digital now with G.711 then you should be getting the highest quality that is technically achievable over the PSTN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Love it when my idiot coworker spends a ton of her time running around doing useless poo poo and confusing herself instead of fixing a problem in 5 minutes.

So we found out today that a couple machines names were incorrect in AD - one machine was retired/recycled, the other active. Recycled one is already long gone but the active one doesn't ping, both are the same identical model, we'll call them PC-A and PC-B. Turned out that a hard drive was swapped out and wasn't renamed before recycling happened, so PC-A has PC-B's hard drive, and vice versa. We double-checked the machine we have and confirmed it matches up, so it should be a pretty simple case of renaming the drive to match the machine, right?

Apparently not, because coworker has spent the last 20 minutes repeating the same poo poo about mismatched naming and talking to other members of the team about what she should do. Meanwhile I suggest renaming the loving computer and not wasting more time on it, and was met with "oh, it's not that simple". gently caress you, yes it is, stop wasting time and energy chasing your loving tail and pretending you know what you're doing. I swear this girl is 3 hairs and a chromosome away from being a retarded monkey.