Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd say something about joining the SEC but it has only been four years since Iowa State fans called Elijah Johnson the n-word and sent him death threats. So instead I'll mention those guys in Borat saying things were better off with slavery wearing Cocks hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh and in actual news that people might care about it's being reported that Michael Porter Jr has been cleared for all basketball activities.

(he should absolutely not come back just in case, but I'm not going to stop him)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm fully erect.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
welp
https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/966988969698320384

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Oh wow, I thought it'd be more teasing of just how many could be a part of it. But they actually start naming names and it just keeps going.

Brian Bowen never getting cleared to play at S Carolina now, that's for sure

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would be a lot easier if they just paid the players like the employees they are. It's like I don't even think players and their families getting under the table or agent money makes me mad under any circumstances.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
burn it all

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lotta banners coming down :getin:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also seems Markelle fleeced someone else.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I'm cool with vacating Kentucky's NIT season

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I'm cool with vacating Kentucky's NIT season

I think they should allow conference rivals to vote on which season gets vacated.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also seems Markelle fleeced someone else.

May explain in part how Romar recruited so many five star players to that program.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Would be a lot easier if they just paid the players like the employees they are. It's like I don't even think players and their families getting under the table or agent money makes me mad under any circumstances.

Yeah reading that article is something. I'm supposed to be furious about a future NBA player being paid $10K for a year's worth of work?

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009
Kind of anti climatic at this point. A number of players listed just had meals with agents along with a few payouts. The report is interesting but not the bomb I was thinking it would be. The number of schools is also misleading. Brogdon and UVA are in a very different spot in this then say Dennis Smith Jr and NC State. More may come out which changes all of this but right now it’s an attempt for clicks.

That said, of course players should get paid. The scandal is that they are not.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

As far as NC State, as best I can tell, DSJ got the loan when he was in high school. He should have been inelgibile, but so far there's no evidence that State paid him or anything. They already fired Gottfried and if they have to vacate those 15 big wins, whatever.

Now if it comes out that Gottfried paid to get Maverick Rowan, that will be depressing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://deadspin.com/who-gives-a-poo poo-1823260537

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this whole deal

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah I actually read the yahoo brief and it's dumb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If anything I'm mad Iowa isn't on there. How dare we cheat the ginger god Aaron White like that. Pay the man for his dunks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Schools shouldn't break the rules.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If Bam was $40k, Unibrow was certainly worth $200k.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

General Dog posted:

People shouldn't have grode jars but that's the world we've been dealt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Shut up, pig

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Jackson’s mom got a 2700 dollar loan.

I expected more honesty. These loans to players’ parents are impermissible depending on credit score? No?

Is this a tax thing? I guess a loan like that that you could get at a pay day loan center is illegal because they don’t charge criminal interest rates. I need to see the terms of this loan.

These players receiving meals is the biggest joke of all.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

General Dog posted:

Bosses shouldn't steal wages.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I remember Rick Majerus getting in trouble for buying a player dinner after the kid's dad died, gently caress the NCAA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat, a couple of these students managed to ALMOST make a living wage for their extremely profitable-for-the-university work. Can't let that happen.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The .72 in jarrel martins pay has me howling

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

https://deadspin.com/who-gives-a-poo poo-1823260537

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this whole deal

yeah this is very much a :shrug: situation after reading through the article and payment amounts. Hiring prostitutes for underage kids, arrest coverups, abuse situations, that kinda stuff I care about. I can't be mad at all for kids and families getting a bit of money.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GobiasIndustries posted:

yeah this is very much a :shrug: situation after reading through the article and payment amounts. Hiring prostitutes for underage kids, arrest coverups, abuse situations, that kinda stuff I care about. I can't be mad at all for kids and families getting a bit of money.

Yeah, if anything I'm happy for them getting some money.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I mean it’s naive to assume that’s school don’t know this is happening but is far as I can tell reading this particular situation the schools have nothing to do with it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also somebody help me out here because inexplicably I think Kansas is in the clear.

Elijah Johnson got 15 grand two years after he graduated so that isn't anything.

Josh Jackson's mom got a 2700 dollar loan or however much BUT that was before he chose Kansas and she has an AAU program so that could be tied to any player in her program, not necessarily Josh. So if JJ was cleared before he came to Kansas and no loan happened after that it's all good?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It doesn't make me mad at the players. But the giant universities opposing paying players in a legit fashion while doing it under the table to gain an advantage over the schools that aren't in bed with people like these can gently caress off

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

kiimo posted:

Also somebody help me out here because inexplicably I think Kansas is in the clear.

Elijah Johnson got 15 grand two years after he graduated so that isn't anything.

Josh Jackson's mom got a 2700 dollar loan or however much BUT that was before he chose Kansas and she has an AAU program so that could be tied to any player in her program, not necessarily Josh. So if JJ was cleared before he came to Kansas and no loan happened after that it's all good?

Derrick Rose was cleared by the NCAA prior to playing at Memphis so...

I think the least worry is the players only listed as allegedly having lunch. Even if there is proof the food was paid for, if it was under $100 and they pay that amount to charity, they are completely clear, don't even have to sit any games.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It doesn't make me mad at the players. But the giant universities opposing paying players in a legit fashion while doing it under the table to gain an advantage over the schools that aren't in bed with people like these can gently caress off

I agree, but the Yahoo article seems to be trying to act like the players are somehow corrupt actors.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah but Derrick Rose's situation is bullshit. Like famously bullshit. If a player is cleared and then something is found on a family member after that that happened before he was cleared isn't that on the clearinghouse not on the school?

To be transparent with my views, Memphis should not have been on the hook for Rose's ACT. Or SAT whichever.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I agree, but the Yahoo article seems to be trying to act like the players are somehow corrupt actors.

Well yeah, Yahoo are assholes. I'm not going to pretend this is all super cool though. Let's say the NCAA decides to pay players, this stuff will still be going on, just to bribe people with higher amounts.

If you want to just open up the NCAA to the wild wild west, then get rid of the rules. I'm a Michigan fan. We're rich as gently caress. This would benefit the school I like to an endless degree. But if they're going to have rules, the schools should follow them. And if they have any honest concern for the players, they'd be fighting to pay them within the rules, not doing this.

I mean, none of that changes that Yahoo are assholes and the players themselves didn't do anything wrong. But any schools that are actually involved did, and the agents sure as hell weren't trying to "pay them a living wage", they were trying to buy them so they could make money off them in the future.

Everyone but the players in this story is gross as hell.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, you aren't wrong but today really isn't the day to go off on the schools since everything I'm reading this has all been done without the schools' knowledge.

I mean, wink wink but this is agent to player loan stuff.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

kiimo posted:

Eh, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kansas did give some kids money or something, but I would be surprised if they got in major trouble for these two cases. Josh Jackson maybe, but it seems vaguely related at best at the moment. Kansas is the safest of the big schools implicated here. Arizona might be turbofucked with Romar on staff though.

Lol Malik Pope took $1000, so watch SDSU get some sort of Louisville-like sanctions to show that the NCAA means business.

E: I’m sure glad UNM is too poor to bribe kids! Our politicians are too busy spending all our money on a transit system without buying the loving buses.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 23, 2018

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

vikingstrike posted:

If Bam was $40k, Unibrow was certainly worth $200k.

Psssht. $200K was a bargain.

Honestly, I am not too worried about any of this, really. Not yet anyway, there could be plenty more to be released though, so who knows?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Romar came in late enough that he only recruited next year's class, which was already pretty hosed by the last round of these things anyway. The Pac 12 titles . . . . ......... . . . . . they're safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MourningView posted:

If anything I'm mad Iowa isn't on there. How dare we cheat the ginger god Aaron White like that. Pay the man for his dunks.

check out this super edgy hot take

• Locked thread