Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Straight White Shark posted:

Within an hour? I live in a pretty small city and there are two sprawling malls a mile and a half apart on one of the main roads. Surprise! One of them is a ghost town. The other one's struggling a bit but still staying afloat.

If this is Louisville, those two malls are owned by the same loving company. It makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

tactlessbastard posted:

What about before 12/26/91? :ussr:
Culturally, yeah.

But in terms of that weird existential threat/dread of nuclear death that permeated Gen-X, the fall of the Communazis in the USSR doesn't really register with Millennials, right?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

vyst posted:

TopGolf owns though.

This is true. You don't even need to like golf, it takes all the fun parts of golfing and smooshes them all together

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good news everyone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

quote:

Cassie McClure, writing for Las Cruces Sun-News, describes those in the Oregon Trail Generation as "remembering a time before the digital age, but barely".[12] Anna Garvey describes these individuals as having "both a healthy portion of Gen X grunge cynicism, and a dash of the unbridled optimism of Millennials", and discusses their relationship with both analog and digital technology.[2] Sheknows.com describes individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s as sharing traits with both Generation X and Millennials.[13]

Anna Garvey describes U.S members of this group as having had an "AOL adolescence" and as being from "the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebook shaming, and constant communication".[2]

The Dickinson Press describes those born in the early 1980s as having early adulthoods which were impacted by the events of the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War.[14]

Many who identify with Oregon Trail Generation, Xennials or Generation Catalano do so because they don't feel they fit within the typical definitions of Generation X or Millennials.[3][15][16]

I was born in 81 and I've always felt like Millenials are too young and GenX is too old.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sharknado slashfic posted:

I was born in 81 and I've always felt like Millenials are too young and GenX is too old.

Sorry you're gonna die of dysentery.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Sorry you're gonna die of dysentery.

Oh no I thought it was just too much beer last night :smith:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

sharknado slashfic posted:

Even that isn't necessarily all that specific. I was born in spring 1984, but I have fond memories of playing the original Oregon Trail on Apple ][ computers in elementary school. Most estimates place me pretty firmly in the "Millennial" avocado toast contingent, though. I have no loving clue.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

quote:

Generation Catalano

Haha, is this what I think it is?

e: watching My So Called Life as a teenager?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

What about before 12/26/91? :ussr:

I've always joked I was the last of the cold war babies since I was born a couple months before the "official" fall of :ussr:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Even that isn't necessarily all that specific. I was born in spring 1984, but I have fond memories of playing the original Oregon Trail on Apple ][ computers in elementary school. Most estimates place me pretty firmly in the "Millennial" avocado toast contingent, though. I have no loving clue.

From my cursory googling about this when I looked at the wikipedia article they cant even seem to agree on the years it covers so who knows. But I'll die on the hill of not being a millenial :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I was born in 80. I too consider myself JUST too old to be a Millenial, and that whole Oregon Trail Generation thing resonates well with me.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the one thing that is different about that demographic slice is when instant messaging/texting was introduced to their social lives. I'm in that age range and am truly thankful that we were not able to message each other in middle school/early high school as it seems to make teen social drama about 20x worse.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CheesyDog posted:

I think the one thing that is different about that demographic slice is when instant messaging/texting was introduced to their social lives. I'm in that age range and am truly thankful that we were not able to message each other in middle school/early high school as it seems to make teen social drama about 20x worse.

Yes I agree. Also you knew who your real friends were, or at least who was interested in you, if you spoke via phone after school or during summer vacation.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You could pull out some social/cultural phenomena to set off each and every year if you wanted to. Generations are population-wide generalizations with 25-30 year spans that are really only delineated decades after the fact. It's kind of pointless to use it as a personal identifier, especially if you're at the edge of the age-range, and you might as well be examining entrails to try and guess which singular cultural phenomena is going to be The Defining One decades down the line. Will it be the internet? Will it be the period of destabilization and rising fascism set off by 9/11? Maybe it'll just be pre/post bellam when Trump starts a nuclear war.

Right now Millennials are transitioning away from just being the kids of Boomers, but if we stuck with that definition then today's high schools would still be considered Millennials. Sasha Obama is only 16.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

there wolf posted:

You could pull out some social/cultural phenomena to set off each and every year if you wanted to.

Nice. Just call me the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station Accident Generation (born in 1979).

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

there wolf posted:

You could pull out some social/cultural phenomena to set off each and every year if you wanted to. Generations are population-wide generalizations with 25-30 year spans that are really only delineated decades after the fact. It's kind of pointless to use it as a personal identifier, especially if you're at the edge of the age-range, and you might as well be examining entrails to try and guess which singular cultural phenomena is going to be The Defining One decades down the line. Will it be the internet? Will it be the period of destabilization and rising fascism set off by 9/11? Maybe it'll just be pre/post bellam when Trump starts a nuclear war.

Right now Millennials are transitioning away from just being the kids of Boomers, but if we stuck with that definition then today's high schools would still be considered Millennials. Sasha Obama is only 16.

Gen X was clearly defined as the children of Boomers decades ago. Millenials are usually defined as children of Gen X'ers. It's not black and white, but the delineation is reasonably simplistic.

I think what people are missing is that yes, Generation X is in their 40's and older now, and yes, you are that old. :smithicide:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1982 Navy brat here, I remember duck and cover drills in elementary school. So last duck and cover generation?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RandomPauI posted:

1982 Navy brat here, I remember duck and cover drills in elementary school. So last duck and cover generation?

I was thinking the other day about how I managed to spend most of my school years in that sweet spot between duck-and-cover and lockdown drills. Just monthly run-of-the-mill fire drills. I think the district started doing lockdowns when I was in 10th or 11th grade.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wait, if Gen X-ers are the children of Baby Boomers, but Millennials are anyone born within the early 80's to the year 2000 or whatever, some people might be both?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah? I mean, my parents were born in 54 and 56, and I was born in 92, so it's totally possible.

I mean, I thought Gen-X was like mid 70s up to like the mid 80s and Millenials would be like 85-2000ish.

But who knows? I've seen people trying to claim that people born in 78 are still millenials, and that's pretty BS.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YggiDee posted:

Wait, if Gen X-ers are the children of Baby Boomers, but Millennials are anyone born within the early 80's to the year 2000 or whatever, some people might be both?

Yeah, my brother and I are both firmly in the Millennial generation ('86 and '90) but our parents were both Boomers ('48 and '49).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah? I mean, my parents were born in 54 and 56, and I was born in 92, so it's totally possible.

I mean, I thought Gen-X was like mid 70s up to like the mid 80s and Millenials would be like 85-2000ish.

But who knows? I've seen people trying to claim that people born in 78 are still millenials, and that's pretty BS.

I knew a kid in middle school who was born in '88 but whose dad was a WWII vet. That dude is both a millennial and a boomer, which means there could still be a couple Xers running around in the 2130s or so if he reproduces as late as his dad did, and even if that's a statistical outlier that can't be the only one. Therefore the last millennial will not die until at least 2200, and the business world is completely doomed. Millennials will have killed everything by then.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I knew a kid in middle school who was born in '88 but whose dad was a WWII vet. That dude is both a millennial and a boomer

Uh, no, he's not. He would be a baby boomer only if he had been born during the baby boom.

These stupid generation names apply to the time period, not to "what is the label assigned to your parents". It's not some sort of caste system.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's fine, but I'm gonna keep imagining things like I said above because it's moderatelyslightly amusing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I knew a kid in middle school who was born in '88 but whose dad was a WWII vet. That dude is both a millennial and a boomer, which means there could still be a couple Xers running around in the 2130s or so if he reproduces as late as his dad did, and even if that's a statistical outlier that can't be the only one. Therefore the last millennial will not die until at least 2200, and the business world is completely doomed. Millennials will have killed everything by then.

drat doesn't having a kid after 35 lead to a risk of them having a damaged gene code? Two generations of being born to 60+ year old parents would probably gently caress you up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Men can have kids at basically any age. President John Tyler, who was born in 1790, has living grandchildren.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Count Uvula posted:

drat doesn't having a kid after 35 lead to a risk of them having a damaged gene code? Two generations of being born to 60+ year old parents would probably gently caress you up.

it's ok as long as you jerk off a bunch first to get the old stuff out of the pipes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I am a Gen-X'er and I have a millennial daughter. I also have a millennial sister and they're both born at the opposite ends of the generation.

So none of it is supposed to make sense.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BloodBag posted:

You're a millenial, I'd be borderline (1981) but frankly the generation should split at 1995 or so, when the internet became more commonplace in homes. I also remember arcades fondly as a child, but going to Dave and Busters as an adult just sucks. None of the games are worth a poo poo and I've got a more comfortable setup at home. I also don't have to wipe chocolate chip juice and pizza oil off the controls. Well, nobody else's, at least.
We had Prodigy and my dad was teaching me to learn computer stuff when I was 4 or 5, and Internet access from the time I was about 10. I might be shifting the split since I grew up with computers and online access.

FilthyImp posted:

Culturally, yeah.

But in terms of that weird existential threat/dread of nuclear death that permeated Gen-X, the fall of the Communazis in the USSR doesn't really register with Millennials, right?
I was completely, and probably compulsively, terrified by the threat of nuclear war.

there wolf posted:

In my mind, the cultural milestones and delineations between sub-generations for the past century in the US are WWI, the great depression, WWII, the Cuban Missile Crisis and Kennedy assassination, Woodstock, Reagan's election, the fall of the Berlin Wall, 9/11, Obama's election, and Trump's election.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ryonguy posted:

Gen X was clearly defined as the children of Boomers decades ago. Millenials are usually defined as children of Gen X'ers. It's not black and white, but the delineation is reasonably simplistic.

I think what people are missing is that yes, Generation X is in their 40's and older now, and yes, you are that old. :smithicide:

Not really, no. At least in order that to be an absolute truth you've have to believe all the Boomers born post '55 were having kids in their teens, or put very different start/end years on all three groups. Also Millennials are sometimes called the echo-boom because they're the largest cohort since the original, and I don't think Gen X is known for intense breeding efforts. There's def some straddling going on, or you can go with the demographers who split the Boomers into two and see Gen X as mostly the product of the first, while Millennials are the product of the second.

Again, applying broad, population-wide metrics to individual self is kind of meaningless.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
gently caress, generations are dumb.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › Generations that are circling the drain (HINT: It's Baby Boomers Millennials)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Not really, no. At least in order that to be an absolute truth you've have to believe all the Boomers born post '55 were having kids in their teens, or put very different start/end years on all three groups. Also Millennials are sometimes called the echo-boom because they're the largest cohort since the original, and I don't think Gen X is known for intense breeding efforts. There's def some straddling going on, or you can go with the demographers who split the Boomers into two and see Gen X as mostly the product of the first, while Millennials are the product of the second.

Again, applying broad, population-wide metrics to individual self is kind of meaningless.

Gen-X is the smallest generation I think. So maybe Boomers waiting until later to have kids resulted in two staggered generations (X and Y) versus one huge Boomerisque group.

Like my great grandparents had 10 kids and they're all in the same generation even though the youngest was born while the oldest was having her first baby. So they didn't care about staggering their births or waiting until they were 16 to start having kids.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It seems like the people born during the beginning and tail end of different generations live in a kind of limbo where they don't quite fit completely into either the former nor latter.
My mom was born in the end years of the baby boomers, but I never quite saw her as one, but definitely not a Gen X'er.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ryonguy posted:

Millennials are people who came of age around the turn of the century, so 80 to early-90s or thereabouts. Their parents likely aren't Generation X unless they had kids quite young. Kids in high school now were largely born after 9/11 and are not millennials. They're Generation Z or something like that.

Not that it matters since the term Millennial is just a generic word for "younger people who don't live their life the way I think they should and don't own homes because of avocado toast".

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

shadowvine118 posted:

It seems like the people born during the beginning and tail end of different generations live in a kind of limbo where they don't quite fit completely into either the former nor latter.
My mom was born in the end years of the baby boomers, but I never quite saw her as one, but definitely not a Gen X'er.

That’s exactly it. Originally, when the ‘boomer’ label was confined to actual sociologists, the baby boomer generation ended in 1958-ish, because there was a big recession in ‘58-‘60 and the birth rate dropped. But when pop-culture got ahold of it, (and Douglas Coupland defined ‘generation X’ as starting in 1965-ish) the ‘boomer’ tag got extended to 1964.

Which is kinda ridiculous, since kids born then grew up in a depressing era filled with energy crisises, Jonestown, Iran Hostages, the Rust Belt, stagflation, and complete economic malaise, while the true Boomers dealt with either dying in the mud of ‘Nam or loving in the mud at Woodstock. Complete different vibe growing up leads to a much different sort of person as an adult, IMO.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I was born in 1985 and remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and even doing a “nuclear preparedness” drill in kindergarten and it feels super weird for me to be in the same generation as people who were in kindergarten when 9/11 happened and don’t really know a world without the internet.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

You were talking about Columbia Mall then. Thought so.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

You were talking about Columbia Mall then. Thought so.

Yeah they've done even more to it since I was last near the Mall. Like I said upthread I pretty much don't go near the place anymore :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only arcades I care about now are the Musée Mécanique in San Francisco (antique penny arcade and vintage arcade games) and the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. And I'm a sucker for a good (non-D&B) barcade, but that's dependent on the quality of the friends I'm with.

Check out the Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda if you're in the area with free time.

Edit: everything's free play except a few very new ones, and usually there's a Groupon for admission. My wife took me here for my birthday and we played for a good 6 hours.

I can't believe there was pinball in Las Vegas and I missed it. :(

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Feb 26, 2018