Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Reene posted:

No one's trying to psychoanalyze you, you huge weirdo. I do wish you'd stop making sweeping statements about the lifestyle and standard of living of someone I know a lot better than you do.

Nobody said he was starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
horney 4 cio

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Who What Now posted:

Nobody said he was starving.

"Starving artist" is a common expression. It's not meant literally.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

this thread was more fun when we were dunking on primitive navigation methods

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
A good thread, or a good comic, you can't have both. That's how SA works.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cant cook creole bream posted:

The best thread I've ever been in was for Dominic Deegan, so I think this checks out.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

B^U

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Reene posted:

ETA: I get the feeling people are fixed on this idea of this being nigh-starvation wages because some people think there's some kind of virtue in being a starving artist, but I promise you there is not and he's no less of a good person or artist just because he makes a decent living at it

I and presumably everybody else on this side of the argument brought it up for the exact opposite reason :confused: like ideally somebody who worked on a comic this good for several years would be making great money, not just "great money for a webcomic" that works out to a livable wage.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

this thread was more fun when we were dunking on primitive navigation methods

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I wonder if they have that whole "first remove the plank from your eye" proverb on Throne.

the holy dove
Feb 21, 2018

by Lowtax
spiny cat dick

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/967891684255260673

Nothing personnel

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"Starving artist" is a common expression. It's not meant literally.

Nobody said he was a starving artist, either. All I saw were people saying he makes decent money but didn't live the high life in a mansion bought with webcomics.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Count Uvula posted:

I and presumably everybody else on this side of the argument brought it up for the exact opposite reason :confused: like ideally somebody who worked on a comic this good for several years would be making great money, not just "great money for a webcomic" that works out to a livable wage.

$60k a year to work from home on a thing you really, truly enjoy doing is pretty great even without qualifiers, is the thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
living above the poverty line sounds p neat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

So are they like a Lamborghini in that they are extremely expensive and flashy and fast (though not the fastest), or is it because they have a tendency to spontaneously combust

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The mech has an entire extra set of arms specifically so it can hold a sword and dagger in addition to a railgun, of course it's gonna be hilariously overdesigned and unreliable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phy posted:

So are they like a Lamborghini in that they are extremely expensive and flashy and fast (though not the fastest), or is it because they have a tendency to spontaneously combust

Yes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Phy posted:

No, they have leather seats:

rulebook posted:

The METALMARK is SCC’s backbone-class line mech, fully equipped with SSC’s proprietary design and engineering hallmarks to ensure that it is just as survivable as it is agile. The METALMARK base model reflects SSC’s deep-space and long patrol heritage in its aquiline design, sturdy construction, and multiple redundant systems. All METALMARK models come standard with a SMITH CUSTOM LEATHER gimbaled pilot seat to ensure comfort on long distance rangings.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My goal would be to somehow engineer a situation where it gets piloted into a trash compactor that was incorrectly locked out tagged out

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My goal would be to somehow engineer a situation where it gets piloted into a trash compactor that was incorrectly locked out tagged out

Mechs are so cheap in lancer universe they might allow you to do it without having to engineer a situation.

Also the mechanic character I wrote would definitely mount this mech.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

One of the SSC licenses allows you to take an extremely compact version of the FTL drive starships use which lets you blink around the battlefield, but does have a chance of causing you and your mech to simply disappear forever when used, so...kinda?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ElMaligno posted:

Mechs are so cheap in lancer universe they might allow you to do it without having to engineer a situation.

Also the mechanic character I wrote would definitely mount this mech.

even if the guy driving it gets murdered?

If I was creating a setting for mechs and someone was like "sniper look at this manufacturer Smith-Shimano" I would be like

1) I dunno this sort of fuckin blows. Is this supposed to be some kind of knockoff Weyland-Yutani?
2) Backstory? No. The company should be "Smith & Shimano" and Rawhide Kobayashi was instrumental in getting them into mechs

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

No, they have leather seats:

Just tell me that leather's Corinthian!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

RandomPauI posted:

Just tell me that leather's Corinthian!

Rename the mech the Cordoba

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

We’re a hundred posts in and nobody’s said

kiss six billion demons

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

blastron posted:

kiss six billion demons

coolusername posted:

Kiss six billion demons

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I meant for this page of the comic but thank you

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

look if kissing herself worked and kissing cio worked why not kiss grandpa dragon dog and number one

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Well it's not "get therapy (with 6 billion demons)" so kiss everything and eat noodles.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

If I was creating a setting for mechs and someone was like "sniper look at this manufacturer Smith-Shimano" I would be like

1) I dunno this sort of fuckin blows. Is this supposed to be some kind of knockoff Weyland-Yutani?
2) Backstory? No. The company should be "Smith & Shimano" and Rawhide Kobayashi was instrumental in getting them into mechs

You sound like a fun guy to run this game.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reach Heaven Through Snogging

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That mech is rad AF and you're a nerd, hth

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Don't trigger warning your comic, Abbadon, just keep the pedal to the floor and soak up the hate clicks.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, in this case, it's that no one is trying to argue, "Perhaps the god-queen who reaps the flower of young womanhood from every world she passes in order to unnaturally extend her life is just misunderstood and is in fact not so bad." Allison rather literally blew up the "I'm really just a victim of circumstance" argument.
You can't keep calling Cio an addict unless you explain how "consuming human soul flames" is a disorder for devils. An addiction is not the same as a compulsion, which is not the same as a biological drive. Words have meaning.
That wasn't directed at you.

But Cio is a murderous monster here. She's been warning Allison about her nature in every way short of taking her firmly by the shoulders, looking her square in the eye, and saying, "I am a horrifying murder beast that feeds on humans and will eventually try to kill you." (And I'm starting to think that, even if she did, some posters would be saying, "Aww, she's being too hard on herself.") And then she tried to kill Allison in a devilish fury that didn't subside until she believed she had succeeded. Cio didn't stop herself from killing Allison, Allison stopped herself from dying by interposing the fanfiction diary, a remnant of Cio's struggle to become something other than her nature.

This would be dramatic irony if we knew something that the characters didn't, but Cio and the other devils have been 99% up front about what they are. The dramatic beat here is that Allison, (aside from surviving what was very much drawn to look like a deadly gutting,) accepts Cio in spite of having her illusions about Cio's nature violently stripped away. Allison has just had a first hand experience with realizing that a powerful part of herself is sociopathic, and very much needs to believe that a person can still be good and whole despite being capable of brutal murders. Can she similarly guide Cio to becoming a more authentic version of herself by coming to terms with Yabalchoeath? Maybe. But Cio is always going to be a devil.

This doesn't detract from the nobility and tragedy of Cio's story: Cio will never be able to become a simple fan fiction writer, because that identity is rooted in denial of an inherent part of herself. Someone who learns how to make a life for themselves while working around a condition or flaw or illness they can never excise, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing, and the friends who accept them anyway... To me, that's a far more human and interesting story than, "it turns out that even the worst and most flawed people can simply stop being bad & sad, and resolve all of their flaws through The Power of Friendship (and lesbian crushes.)"

the self-own is a continuous cutting motion

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
my money personally is on this going to the "yeah okay maybe this relationship isn't working out" place by the time we run into... let's check the calendar, we've got pride, envy, sloth, wrath, and lust on the agenda? quarter-past envy strikes me as a decent time for a breakup miniarc.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

Reach Heaven Through Snogging

reach heaven through cio's lips

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Pff that mech ideff needs to be crushed brutally after the pilot flaunts all over the place for a few scenes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

blastron posted:

kiss six billion demons

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The perfect kiss is the kiss of death.

The kiss from royalty is perfect.

We are still on course to kill six billion, regardless of methodology. Swords are for chumps (maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pff that mech ideff needs to be crushed brutally after the pilot flaunts all over the place for a few scenes