Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m out of town for the bar and a friend is watching dakota. Just got this snapchat and had to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

should be in OP

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m out of town for the bar and a friend is watching dakota. Just got this snapchat and had to share.

Look at that soft belly

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You give kiss

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Just got caught up since the start of the year. It was a tough journey, but I'd do it again :shittydog:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jaguars! posted:

Just got caught up since the start of the year. It was a tough journey, but I'd do it again :shittydog:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Polly's getting acclimated.

... and receiving pets.

She's showing more signs of life each day. This morning she finished her first full serving of breakfast. Hilariously the food they sent us home with , we'd mixed it with what we feed Vivi, and she picked through it and only ate a few bites of the food we buy. so the changeover was super easy.

Here's Vivi hanging out and pretty confused about Polly chilling in her crate unprompted. She tries sometimes to coax her out of there. It never works, but eventually Polly joins the family on her own.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

It’s super refreshing that, even in the Dog Thread, I get that whole rush of appreciation for fellow dog owners that crate their dogs. I feel like it’s just as important as proper car harnessing. I try to tell people: if you think every dog needs a doghouse, then you should crate your dogs. It’s the same concept!

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It’s super refreshing that, even in the Dog Thread, I get that whole rush of appreciation for fellow dog owners that crate their dogs. I feel like it’s just as important as proper car harnessing. I try to tell people: if you think every dog needs a doghouse, then you should crate your dogs. It’s the same concept!

Is it that unusual? I'm new to dog ownership but all the online advice I read said to crate, and most of my friends with dogs also crate.

This flirt is trying to distract me from work. (Speaking of crates, she prefers making a nest out of the guest bed to napping in hers!)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I never crated Monty but I also had a huge amount of time to spend with him when he was little.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've always adopted grown rear end dogs and never crated any. They do get their own spot in the house, which tends to come pretty naturally.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

It’s rare enough that I have to remind/reinforce that crating isn’t punishment to folks in my apartment complex whose dogs are wailing at all hours during the day because they’re on the patio and no one’s home.

That’s how I heard that chihuahua that sounds like Ma Fratelli.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was going to crate Apollo before I discovered his intense "I will NOT BE CAGED" tendencies. And he hates being separated from me. And he was basically biting at the crate and I went "..yeaaah no"

I imagine I could try again now that he's more settled here, but honestly I don't feel the need for it? He's good hanging out with me and he's getting better at behaving when I'm away.

On a similar but different note, what is the story behind the thread title?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

somebody got real butthurt about cats being allowed or some such nonsense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was just sitting here looking at Monty retrospecting. I've had him for about three and a half years at this point.

I should not have gotten a dog when I got him. I was nowhere near where a person should be mentally to have a dog. I still had a LOT of anger that I hadn't dealt with. I was honestly not a very good owner for the first few months that I had him.

One day during one of my anger outbursts, I saw him cowering on my bed shaking in fear. I wasn't angry at him, I was just angry. Throwing poo poo, breaking poo poo. Things like that. He was terrified.

You ever have moments in your life where it seems like a mirror is being held up to you, showing you how foolish you are acting? That was the day I decided to move to a new town and reset myself.

In a few months we will be moving again, this time to DC to start the next chapter.

I say all that to say this: Monty saved my life and my life has a great outlook now, and I credit him for that more than I credit myself.

Hug your dogs. Even if you don't realize it, they are helping you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

That's great - I'm so glad you met Monty.

Apollo's already doing wonders for me. Just today I went for a half mile walk in the sun, my first this year since the snow's thawed enough for it to be safe going down the road - and I was able to walk that distance at a decent pace and make it back without needing to stop and catch my breath. I even climbed the hill by the neighbor's on the way back without needing to seriously slow down and struggle.

My stamina's not where it was before winter, where I was running and feeling amazing, but... holy cow. Before I got Apollo I couldn't walk far at all without needing to catch my breath. I was a total couch potato, no stamina, etc - and now I can actually go for a twenty minute walk and not die. And I'm going to get back up to running so I can give Apollo the mile-long runs he needs and wants, not just long walks.

On a more subtle note he's also keeping me honest about my bedtime. On my own I'll try to go to bed as late I can, all the time, because I don't like the process of trying to fall asleep - so my sleep schedule was all over the place and I wasn't happy with it but I wasn't good at sticking to any bedtimes. And now? Now I'm in bed between 9-10, no excuses, Apollo wants to be asleep now thank you. He's gonna wake me up at 5AM even if I go to bed late so I'd better be ready to go to bed on time.

Sometimes I find myself wishing I'd adopted another cat instead of getting a dog, because ughhhh I don't want to play fetch or go for a walk right now - but when I stop and look at myself, Apollo's literally saving my life and making me a better person.

Like, don't get me wrong, I love cats, but they're really good at encouraging me to stay on the couch longer so they can use me as a heating pad.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I’m guessing it’s because it went from the “specific dog” memorial thread back to just the dog thread and someone got butthurt.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
When I first got Sophie I tried to crate her, but she wasn't having it, after coming home to find her having taken off the front of the crate somehow I gave up trying:

She's good at home alone these days so I dont see the need to try to take that hill again.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

boop the snoot posted:

I think my favorite part about dogs, is what a simple formula they are: Give them x love, you get 2x the love back. They are just infinite love generators bounded only by your ability to provide input.

That, and fuzzy ears.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Barcley posted:

When I first got Sophie I tried to crate her, but she wasn't having it, after coming home to find her having taken off the front of the crate somehow I gave up trying:

She's good at home alone these days so I dont see the need to try to take that hill again.

"I broke down this gate because I love you."

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barcley posted:

Some dogs are just escape artists - I think mine has figured out 8 different models? Unfortunately I live in an apartment building with dogs on the floor, so if no crate mine will just bark at the door any time another dog is in the hall.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

High five this good dog

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Waffles has loved her crate since day 1:

(Probably because her other bed gets hijacked.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The thread title had changed a few times and a poster complained about having difficulties finding the dog thread because of it. That's really all there was to it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The only thread I renamed that’s left ;_;

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing the history of the dog thread, guys. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meet my mighty ice-cube hunter. He's been trained on the tame cubes from the fridge, and today - today he got to hunt WILD chunks of ice out in the fields!

(he came in muddy and I need to clean the tub now :( )

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

StrixNebulosa posted:

Meet my mighty ice-cube hunter. He's been trained on the tame cubes from the fridge, and today - today he got to hunt WILD chunks of ice out in the fields!

(he came in muddy and I need to clean the tub now :( )

I mean that coloring clearly indicates fire type, so it makes sense he'd be good at it.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you for sharing the history of the dog thread, guys. :3:

Also everyone who posted a dog pic got probated for a while.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Malek posted:

Also everyone who posted a dog pic got probated for a while.

Sounds like dark times

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

mrmcd posted:

I think my favorite part about dogs, is what a simple formula they are: Give them x love, you get 2x the love back. They are just infinite love generators bounded only by your ability to provide input.

That, and fuzzy ears.

Yeah I didn't quite realize how much work and stress it is to raise a puppy but it's so worth it. It makes getting up in the morning so much nicer when your dog is super excited to greet you and love you just for existing :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Winter Rose posted:

Yeah I didn't quite realize how much work and stress it is to raise a puppy but it's so worth it. It makes getting up in the morning so much nicer when your dog is super excited to greet you and love you just for existing :3:

One of my mottos to fight depression is “every day make sure you put your shoes on.” Basically, get up and do poo poo.

Having Monty made this mandatory (I had to replace my mattress once because I ignored him one morning when he was wining — last time I ever did that!) and was probably the largest benefit he provided me (responsibility) when I just wanted to be a mopie and depressed piece of poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Barcley posted:

Hi Sophie! I have a Sophie too!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

We stopped crating Lando after he brought up the topic himself. He did this by somehow escaping from his crate TWICE through some mysterious means that continue to baffle my girlfriend and I. We came home to find Lando very happy to see us, but nothing whatsoever out of place, peed upon or chewed. He now spends his days lounging on the couch while we’re at work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I go home around the same time every day and usually find Monty waiting for me and excited.

Let me come home early though and I’ll find him zonked out so hard that he will have lines from the couch on his head.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Let me come home early though and I’ll find him zonked out so hard that he will have lines from the couch on his head.
Lmao

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

Hi Sophie! I have a Sophie too!

Hi Sophie! All the best dogs are named Sophie or not Sophie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

boop the snoot posted:

I go home around the same time every day and usually find Monty waiting for me and excited.

In case you're curious how dogs can tell time, here's a decent theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftr9yY-YuYU