Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We don't. "Demony" refers to ambushing this guy while in knifey-shadow form which, while awesome as hell, would be a Bad Idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How would we do this the demony way without Going Loud?

Demony is just wearing our full Demonic Form, which though certainly not subtle, doesn't mean we'll attract GM attention for sure. Think of it as going into Battle Mode.

Going Loud is something totally different. It's burning our Cover away completely in exchange for a power boost that puts us in par with some of the strongest Angels. We...should not do this unless there is no other choice.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Edit: Double post

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
“I’ll take care of it,” you tell Ruby.

“What does that mean?”

“Don’t worry about it. Just tell me if you see him again.

“O..okay. What are you planning to do, Maybe?”

“Old Indian Trick,” you smile at her. “Let’s get back to beating the poo poo out of this bag.”

You spend another half an hour working with Ruby and some of the other girls. Today you focus on groin kicks In particular. When people are done you help Grace clean up, though she pointedly makes you do more of the work, and then hop in the shower of the locker room and change into Mabin’s street clothes. Mabin is a pretty tightly put together Cover, but she does have some odd gaps. One is the clothes. No matter what you go and spend money on, it eventually warps into some sort of gray tank top or short sleeve shirt. It’s not as bad as when you were building Mabin and her closet had only the exact same pair of pants and a gray tank. The exact same, multiple jeans with the same wear marks on them and loose threads. Now there is at least some plausible differences, but Mabin certainly has a “style”. It narrows down your options for things such as going out to eat, but luckily Alex has chosen a pretty laid back place.

You are repacking your bag when you again worry about the gun.

1 Do you take the gun with you?
A. Yes
B. No (where do you stash it?)

You decide to stop at the Franklin bus stop and get there quite early. You lounge around for the bus for awhile and no one bothers you, though you do notice some young guys leaning against the wall of a nearby bodega staring you down. You pretend not to notice and make a production out of checking your phone and not paying attention to your surroundings. Eventually the bus comes and you head to dinner.

The Chatterbox is a nerd bar. In addition to a menu full of burgers and microbrewed beers, it also has a huge array of Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and board games. It’s in a corner of the pub, set up on a couch and playing Turtles in Time that you find Alex. She is a statuesque blonde women whose face is currently scrunched up in concentration. Alex was a unique woman. The only daughter of a “cop’s cop” she had been locked into law enforcement since she was a kid, even more so after her father hung himself rather than face bribery charges. She did her time and worked her way to Sergeant, no easy task for a women in the MPD. One year after getting her stripes, she promptly ripped them off, turned State’s Evidence for a corruption racket, and left the force. There is some speculation, mostly among big men with fragile egos, that she was forced out, but you know it was all her choice. Even being the smallest gear in a corrupt machine was too much for her once she realised how far the corruption went. That was partially why you have trusted her with as much of the truth as you dare. Alex readily believed that there was some hidden force influencing people against their will, she’d worked for a similar one for years. These days, Alex works as a private investigator. She mostly delivers summons and tracks down debtors, but every so often she takes on a criminal case, working with the defense. She has yet to investigate any cheating husbands or wives, a face that she is proud about.

Mabin and Alex go back about five years. Mabin was in the crowd protesting the Redskins when they came to play the Vikings. Alex was an off-duty cop attending the game. A particularly loud and annoying Redskins fan was assaulted on his way out of the stadium, his custom jersey shredded and a large section of his hair shaved down to the skin. Alex questioned the man, who couldn’t remember what his attacker looked like, then she questioned Mabin. The attacker was never found sadly. After that Alex was Mabin’s on and off again girlfriend and roomate. When Alex decided to turn on her brothers in the law, Mabin was there to support her. Once Alex left the force though, she pushed Mabin away. You suspect she was trying for a clean break or concerned Mabin would be targeted. Humans act oddly sometimes.

2. How does Ms. Ink feel about Alex?
A. She is a useful tool, nothing more.
B. We admit, we are fond of her. But like a pet.
C. We have emotions, even if they are sometimes alien. We care about Alex in our own way.
D. Demons can love, it is a curse to some and a blessing to others. We don’t know if we love Alex. But we might.

“Thank God you’re here. I’m stuck on the sewer level and I am going to kill everyone and myself,” Alex says by way of greeting.

You collapse on the couch next to her, noting that her bag is between you and her, and pick up the second controller. She has wisely left you Raphael. The two of you play in silence for a few minutes, pausing the game only when a server comes and hands you menus. You order a chicken wrap and a beer, fighting the urge to order the Hellcat Burger and be cute about it. Once the game is paused and the server leaves you turn to Alex.

“So?”

“C’mon Maybe, can’t we have fun before we get to work?”

“I’d love to Al, but this is important. Some friends of mine might be in danger.”

She sighs at that and frowns. Alex is under the impression that there is a hidden world of supernatural powers that you are a part of, and you choose to protect her from. You told her that you are what she would think of as a wizard, and one who is working to undermine some of the established class systems in your hidden world. As you grow in your own power and ability you attract more dangerous foes, all the while trying to keep your city safe. You got the idea from a book series. As a result however, Alex has become a bit bristly over the idea that there is an entire world she knows nothing about that she must be protected from. So, she helps you, but it has caused a strain on your already tumultuous relationship as she feels like you don’t fully trust her. Oddly, that was the reaction that the book series’ hero’s girlfriend had.

“Alright,” she says, stretching and sinking back into the couch. “I did find some stuff. I don’t have many friends back over the river, but I have heard some things.”

“Like what?”

“Well, there are your standard stories about citizen’s reporting fake cops, weirdos trying to get a feel or get girls into their cars. Sometimes though, you hear about these fake cops with uniforms that seem legit, but something is off. Or they are talking to you and don’t seem like they are all there. You also get stories about patrol men sitting in their cars, or squad cars with tinted windows, that just sit there. Citizens come up asking for help and...nothing. No response. Dispatch gets calls, but no units are supposed to be in the area of the incident. Again, that ties back to impersonators, but then you get the really weird stories.”

“Like?”

“Listen Maybe, I’m happy to do this kind of digging for you, but it does open some more wounds.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” you say. “And...I know that you needed some time away, I get that.”

“No. no it’s not about that, not about us. At least not like that. I mean, we can have that whole talk later if you want, but I am talking about being shut out by you. It’s hard to navigate this world when I feel half-blind.”

“I understand. I really do. But, Al there are things out there that would literally eat you if you got too close to them.”

“Yeah yeah, but I’m a big girl Mabin. I was a cop for god sake, I think I can handle whatever little ghouls and goblins I might attract. I’m telling you, that if you want my help in the future, I need more transparency.”

“I can’t promise you that.”

“You can actually. It’s really easy, just say you’ll bring me in and mean it.”

“Alex,” you say and you shift on the couch to look directly at her. “There are things in this world that would really, really mess with you. I’m talking just..beyond your wildest imagination. Things that, if I told you would bring hell down on you, and on me. I cannot, cannot do that.”

“I don’t want a guided backstage tour. I just...I want something, a flashlight when I’m walking around in the dark.”

Your food arrives and you eat and drink in silence for a bit as you think. Finally, inevitably, you say, “Fine. If I can share information with you in the future I will. But right now some friends of mine might need the information you have.”

Alex nods towards her bag, “I remember you liked files printed out, I’ve pulled together some reports for you there, maybe you can make a pattern from it. But it’s weird, some of my buddies, the ones still talking to me, said the latest rumor they’ve heard on the pits of Facebook is about cop drones.”

“Cop drones?”

“Yeah, robot policemen, meant to be comforting and responsive to people, but without the habit of shooting unarmed black people.”

“Is there anything like that?”

“Of course not, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.”

The two of you eat your food and drink your beers, and then another round. Then you go back to killing robot ninjas and eventually you start talking and flirting with one another, more than either of you probably anticipated. You are well on your way to getting drunk, and seriously considering insisting on letting Alex take you home, when your phone alerts you that you’ve got a text message. That sobers you up quickly. Your phone is rarely used for actual texting. Your Ring communicates via anonymous email addresses that you log into and out of on your phone, but you rarely text each other. Especially when investigating Infrastructure. There is speculation as to how much the Machine can monitor cell phone signals, and thus any text would have to be carefully coded so as to no arouse suspicion. It would need to be a message that any of the Ring’s covers would send you, and yet still convey the message. You take out your phone and see that Ruin , or rather Tim, has messaged you. It is an image. And it makes your blood run cold.

3. What is the appropriate reaction to this.
A. Drop whatever you are doing and meet at the safe house.
B. Meet at the Broiler in 24 hours.
C. Call, text, or email, just check in when you can.
D. Maintain silence, use physical dead drops, they have be monitored.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm so, so sorry for Ackbar.

According to our rolls we lost the Jeep even without needing any special tricks.

Character Sheet

World Map

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 27, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C
B

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1.A
2.D
3.B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B, a safe and hidden corner in our room. Preferably off the floor, so like under some clothes in the top of our closet or something.
D
C

If the statue team is busted, the only way we can communicate really is electronically. Physical meetings will obviously just get us tagged as well, any dead drops they use will be compromised, and they DEFINITELY can't go back to the safehouse because they'll compromise it. Texting dumb memes back and forth and having conversations that fit our cover is gonna be awkward, but it's the only safe way I see of communicating. Hopefully the Machine isn't gonna understand whatever permutations of Loss and emoji spam we come up with to try and get our points across.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 27, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

the gently caress dude

1. B; Mabin probably at least has a lockbox. If not, just the deepest darkest corner of the flat.
2. C, fallback D
3. C; communicate in dumb memes and accompanying emoji overdoses to confound the Machine and trust in context.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A - Leaving it laying around where one of the kids could find it is begging for trouble. If we're ever gonna ditch it, best to ditch it somewhere...safe-ish.

2. C
3. C

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1A, 2D (She went state's evidence against corruption and her dad took bribes, she's a girl after our own heart equivalent.), 3A

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A yes gun
C feelings our how we fell, we get the feels
B It would be good to know what the trap is. A trap around that bridge in the river? Lets stay off the bridge until we know more.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

1C
2C
3C

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

B, a safe and hidden corner in our room. Preferably off the floor, so like under some clothes in the top of our closet or something.
D
C

If the statue team is busted, the only way we can communicate really is electronically. Physical meetings will obviously just get us tagged as well, any dead drops they use will be compromised, and they DEFINITELY can't go back to the safehouse because they'll compromise it. Texting dumb memes back and forth and having conversations that fit our cover is gonna be awkward, but it's the only safe way I see of communicating. Hopefully the Machine isn't gonna understand whatever permutations of Loss and emoji spam we come up with to try and get our points across.

Works for me

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As for what to tell Alex, I think we should tell her there is a psychic danger. We obviously can't tell her the truth because the whole bit about an uncaring god being opposed by well-meaning demons is exactly what an EVIL demon would say! There's a built in cultural trap to prevent us from trying to recruit humans that way. Do you want witch hunts? Because that's how you get witch hunts.

She specifically mentioned goblins, so she's thinking fantasy creatures, and you can fight fantasy creatures, so we make up a fantasy danger she will understand she can't fight. Psychic danger. It doesn't matter how good she is at fighting or shooting if something can attack her without being physically present, so we aren't undermining her identity as a strong independent person.

The psychic danger can read any mind, but it can't read every mind. Certain thoughts, certain knowledge, can make your mind stand out from the general sea of minds. Like a perp that a trained cop can see is up to something suspicious just watching him walk by, knowing certain things makes your mind stand out like a sore thumb. They are looking for suspicious mental keywords the way the NSA looks for suspicious keywords online. We can even flat out tell her that this isn't exactly the truth, but it is as close as we can get to the truth without putting her in more danger.

We should probably throw in that we're not psychic. We can shield our own thoughts but we can't read others. (People get weird if they think you can read their thoughts.)

If she goes online to look up more information she will find a world of woo showing that plenty of people believe psychic dangers exist and various nonsense that is supposed to help protect you. But it's mostly delusional garbage so it won't trigger the machine's algorithms to pay more attention to her.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Facebook Aunt posted:

As for what to tell Alex, I think we should tell her there is a psychic danger.

"Alex, do you know what a mindflayer is?"

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

1) A
2) C
3) A

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
1. A
2. A
3. A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

NinjaPete posted:

"Alex, do you know what a mindflayer is?"

Is there anything stopping us from creating a pretend scenario where we walk down an alley with her and get 'attacked' by an terrifying and unstoppable illusion that scares the poo poo out of her until we casually 'kill' it with Harry Potter magic and explain that that's why we can't let her in. This poo poo is orders of magnitude worse than she knows. Her only defense is not getting tainted by it, too much exposure and you'll just disappear etc etc.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Outrail posted:

Is there anything stopping us from creating a pretend scenario where we walk down an alley with her and get 'attacked' by an terrifying and unstoppable illusion that scares the poo poo out of her until we casually 'kill' it with Harry Potter magic and explain that that's why we can't let her in. This poo poo is orders of magnitude worse than she knows. Her only defense is not getting tainted by it, too much exposure and you'll just disappear etc etc.

We can lie perfectly, but we can't make illusions. Yet. There is an Terrifying Hallucinations exploit.

Edit: we can also get a friend to spook her.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 28, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

NinjaPete posted:

We can lie perfectly, but we can't make illusions. Yet. There is an Terrifying Hallucinations exploit.

Edit: we can also get a friend to spook her.

Friends don't let friends shoot friends with demon slaying silver bullets they bought from some goths 'just in case'.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

NinjaPete posted:

You are repacking your bag when you again worry about the gun.

1 Do you take the gun with you?

A. Yes

If we're going to be 'taking care' of a gang problem, better bring some options beyond 'Demon Powers'

NinjaPete posted:

2. How does Ms. Ink feel about Alex?

C. We have emotions, even if they are sometimes alien. We care about Alex in our own way.

While we 'fell' because of our developed ability to feel, we are not human, and will never be truly subjected to the human condition.

As such, we can never 'Love' in that way.

NinjaPete posted:

3. What is the appropriate reaction to this.

B. Meet at the Broiler in 24 hours.

Moscow Rules; assume everyone and everything is compromised.

Spend the next 24 hours living our cover and being paranoid; see if anyone or anything comes for us.

Broiler in 24 hours gives us time to 'quiet' the scene.

@NinjaPete: Really enjoying the CYOA so far, the setting and world building is great, especially the use of real world locales.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Do silver bullets even DO anything in this setting?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
“Who’s that?” Alex asks. “You got some new girlfriend I don’t know about?”

“No,” you say absently, trying to parse the exact message. Trap? It didn’t mean Alex, Ruin used something called “The Lost in Space robot” for that type of danger. A trap involving Ruin and Tone then. You quickly find and send the appropriate response.

Ms. Ink posted:

“Everything okay?” the cheer is gone from her voice, she’s figured something was wrong. You debate how much to tell her, before desciding to delay that as much as possible.

“Some..allies...of mine are working on a thing. They’ve run into some trouble.”

“Everyone okay?”

“Oh yeah,” you lie without hesitation. ”But I’m honestly to going to be a good companion until I get this figured out. I’m sorry Al, but I need to split.”

“It’s okay,” she says in her “It’s Not Okay” tone. “Head out, I’ll pay the bill.”

“I can pay, I’m not poor.”

“Yeah but..you need your money. It’s fine. Go play Mabin the Mage or whatever.”

1. Do you make plans with Alex?

“Okay,” you grab your things, including the file she’s assembled about strong cop encounters. You give her a kiss, on the cheek no reason to push it, and head out to grab a bus. Ruin gets back to you as you are riding home.

Mr. Ruin posted:

👻💣

“The hell does that mean?”

Ink posted:

Ruin posted:

Ink posted:

Ruin posted:

🌉🔥

Ink posted:

Ruin posted:

That is as far as the conversation gets before you get to your stop. You get off and, instead of walking home, you get off and go into the open air bus shelter.

You sit at the bus stop, thinking. It is freezing out, -20, inching towards -30. The bus shelter offers a little respite from this cold, it is a roof supported by three sides of artfully etched glass. You huddle next to the heater built into the bus stop and hit the activation button repeatedly when the timer shuts off. It is a reflex about about 10 minutes, you are trying to work out what happened.

Ruin and Tone were investigating the sculpture, assumedly the Ford Parkway one. One of them must have done something to trigger a trap. A..ghost bomb. At least one of them was injured, probably Tone if Ruin was the one talking to you, and they retreated. They also seem to think the Infrastructure has something to do with a bridge and..fire? That one confuses you. So you have questions that need answering, in order of importance.

1. Did their Covers get blown? They don’t need an angel throwing fire down on them to be in trouble. It’s possible the Machine has discovered them but isn’t actively hunting them down yet, either because it needs time to summon another Hunter Angel or it simply doesn’t want to. If their Covers are blown, those are two people that are publicly connected to Mabin. Game Night is a convenient story and excuse for you all to get together, but it turns dangerous once one of you is a confirmed spy. Assuming their Covers are blown, and assuming the connection to Mabin is noticed by the Machine (both are assumptions you remind yourself. You have options.
You can continue like nothing it wrong. This is dangerous, but what you need to do to avoid suspicion. Any odd movements might attract attention. Of course you need to actively move around to uncover what is happening as well, so that is a Catch-22. Your other options are more extreme. You could burn Mabin. Find another Unchained with a solid cover and exchange it, or try to buy it. This would, for all intents and purposes kill Mabin and force you to walk away. It is a drastic choice, but one that you could make if needed. Much like the last option you can think of. Kill Ruin and Tone before the enemy gets them. If they have been compromised they are a threat to you. The safest option would be to just eliminate that threat.
However, their Covers may still be intact, just flagged. If that is the case, the Machine’s agents, angelic or mortal, need to be convinced they are human. That onus falls on Ruin and Tone, though you could attempt to help. Alternately you could try to find their status, either by tracking down some of Machine’s agents and shaking them down for information, or by attempting to raid and infiltrate some Command and Control Infrastructure, but you’d need to find it first. Both tasks are dangerous, and you wouldn’t be able to call on two of your Ring members to help.

2. What do we want to go into tomorrow planning? Vote for as many as you want.
A. Act as your cover, don’t do anything weird
B. Start building or finding a new Cover, Mabin’s time might be limited.
C. Figure out where Tone and Ruin are holed up. We might need to take them out.
D. Try to find an agent of the Machine, or some Command and Control Infrastructure there.
E. Right now we need to be focused on the Ford Parkway Infrastructure.

2. Are Tone and Ruin alright? One is injured for sure, but perhaps both are. They may be unable or unwilling to seek medical assistance. You think Kind has some medical training, but she would need to find them and risk herself. Maybe you can dig into your contacts and send a sympathetic RN or unscrupulous doc to them with some fabricated story. You’d need to find someone, and of course figure out where the boys are holed up.

3. What happened to them? “Ghost Bomb” is a cute shorthand. And you know the Machine has use for whatever energies or powers that exist as a “ghost” or “soul”, but how does it work? Why didn’t you trigger it? Was it always there and Ruin interacting with it caused something to trigger? Or was this a defense added after you poked around last night? Were the other sculptures trapped like this as well?

4. Where the hell is the Linchpin?

5. What doe-

“Hey baby,” someone says next to you. “You cold?”

loving finally.

Three men have joined you in the bus shelter. Two are big dudes, vary ratios of muscle and fat, and the third man is lean and hungry-looking. He is wearing a fur-lined parka and a Eagles baseball cap. He has a long braid that he tucked into the front of his coat and some facial tattoos you didn’t recognize. Overall their presentation is embarrassingly cliche. You stand up and discover that you come up to about the man’s chest.

“You Gary Peake?”

“Yeah,” he smiles and gold teeth wink at you. “I got some fan I don’t know about?”

“Ты не прав демона?” you ask in Russian.

“The gently caress you say?”

“Just checking,” you say, then you punch him in the throat. The secret to a good throat punch is to thin your hand’s profile or use the edge if possible, and try to punch through the other person’s neck. Peak yawps and reels backwards, but you are already reaching out to grab him. You snatch his braid and use it as a lever, redirecting his backward momentum to cause him to stumble forward. He stumbles past you and you place your hand on the back of his head and shove as hard as possible when he is between lurching steps. He flies forward as he falls to his knees, and ends up bouncing his face off the shelter bench.
Semi-Fat guy charges at you like a bull. You twist to face him but grab his outstretched hands and continue the movement. For a brief second it looks like the two of you are ballroom dancing, you leading obviously. Then his kinetic energy meets yours, and you roll him up and over your hip, tossing him into one of the glass panels of the shelter. It shatters, slowing his flight path only momentarily, and he lands heavily on the sidewalk and deflates.
Super-Fat guy has managed to pull a gun, a small snub-nosed revolver. You duck low reach out, brushing the gun with your finger tips. The movement does not deflect his shot, nor move you out of his sights. But that doesn’t matter, all you needed was a touch. Inside the gun something breaks, you do not know what or care what. The man pulls the trigger and the hammer does not pull back, there is not even a satisfied “click”. He looks dumb founded as you rip the gun out of his hand and step into a full bodied groin kick. He drops to the ground, turning paler as he does so. You bash him in the back of the head with his gun to at least put him out of his misery. Then you drop the gun and walk over to Peake, who is struggling to his knees. You place a foot on his ribs and give him a shove, flipping him onto his back like a turtle. You plop down on his stomach, straddling him, and are happy to see you’ve broken his nose and it’s bleeding.

“Okay,” you say grabbing his parka and pulling him close. “You hosed up here. See, I think you crawled out of whatever Rez fuckhole you were living in with plans on taking this territory for yourself. The Brotherhood has hosed off to South of Powerhorn, and this place seems so ripe right? Gary, please contribute to the conversation.” You slam the back of his head against the bench.

“Grughh..”

“Thanks,” you say. “Anyway, with the Superbowl in town you figure, ‘Might as well set myself up as Big Chief Pimp-em-Cheap’ for all the tourists. Because, as we know Indian girls tend to not be missed when poo poo like this happens. Girls from poor families that aren’t little blonde twelve year olds don’t make the news. That combined with the amount of guys who get their rocks off by poking a Pocahontas because they have some pretty loving repressed issues about race and the history of this country mean tha-- Gary, I haven’t lost you right?”

Slam. “Grurk..”

“Any way, here’s where you hosed up. I mean, at least most recently. You thought this territory was unclaimed. Well, guess what Gary, it’s loving mine understand? This neighborhood and all the people in it are mine. The Brotherhood left here for a reason Gary. They didn’t just move on to greener pastures. Ask them about how many of their enforcers just vanished in the night. Ask them how many of their stashes were loving lit on fire in front of them. Maybe you can ask them about it on your way out of town. Because I need you to understand that I want you and Native Rose out of the city, get back on the loving Rez or go class up some suburb. Nod if you understand.”

He doesn’t so you tap his head against the ground this time. That makes his head sort of wobble back and forth in a nodding gesture.

“I don’t feel guilty about this Gary, this is the way of the world. This is what happens to scavengers in this neighborhood. That is all you are, some coyote who comes across a dead deer and thinks he is the king of the world. But you’re just a scavenger,” you pull him up close to you. “And I am a predator. I am the Bear who will follow you to the ends of the earth. This is mine, and if you come nosing around here again, I will rip your guts out and feed on your entrails while you still scream.”

“My god.”

You turn to the sound. Mrs. Gilchist is standing there. She is recognizable bundled up against the cold, but even if she wasn’t the presence of Makwa would be a give away. She stares at the unconscious men and at yourself.

3. What do we do here? Vote for as many as you want.
F. Turn and run.
G. Walk by her like you do not see her.
H. Pet Makwa.
I. Tell her these assholes got the jump on you, hopefully she didn’t see the start.
J. Make a veiled threat to her.
K Make an explicit threat to her.
L. Coerce her into a Pact of some sort (this would be expensive for us since)
M. Kill her.
N.Be nice to Her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so sorry for the memes. I'm changing voting a bit with the letters, this might help me with vote tabulation.

Character Sheet

World Map

Dice Rolls

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 1, 2018

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

CourValant posted:

@NinjaPete: Really enjoying the CYOA so far, the setting and world building is great, especially the use of real world locales.

Thank you!

Blasphemaster posted:

Depends. Werewolves (but not real World of Darkness Werewolves) might be a thing. Cryptids exist in theory.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blasphemaster posted:

I'm assuming they would still mess up a werewolf, if we run into one and need to shoot it instead of Demoning it into submission.

E:fb

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

2. AE Quietly break that loving thing as soon as possible or the bridge is toast and so is everyone on it.
3. K She's probaly seen enough to confirm her suspicions. Harden our heart and threaten the dog if we have to, but we've got to keep her quiet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1. Yes, let's make plans for dinner again when we're not so pressed for time. Alex is a nice girl and we should make this up to her and just hang out sometime.
2. AE
3. HIN
(especially H. Triple up on H.)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Kavak posted:

Harden our heart and threaten the dog if we have to, but we've got to keep her quiet.

I swear to God I will vote to Go Loud and suicidally fistfight an angel before we even pretend we'd hurt Makwa.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1 A
2 ADE
3 HIN "Did you really want to leave this one to the cops? *pet and scritch the good boy: you didn't want to, did ya, huh~ 🎵* Even', Mrs. G."

Crazycryodude posted:

I swear to God I will vote to Go Loud and suicidally fistfight an angel before we even pretend we'd hurt Makwa.

Oh captain my captain

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 1, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

2. AB

3. HN I think we can spin this. She's just a scared old woman who has had a hard life and now that she's old and alone she sees danger everywhere. Having someone stand up to the punks is good.

Hopefully none of those punks were her grandson.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

This Cover is going to get compromised very quickly. Milk if for all possible favors and debts people owe Mabin and move on. Before disappearing, we may want to leave Alex something to let her figure out the existence of God-Machine by herself. One possible reason to do that is that we owe her some truth before we inevitably disappear from her life. Another one is that a distraction may be useful.

1. Yeah.
2. B
3. HIN. No point to be a dick.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

1 Yes, though leave some time between now and when we plan it, so we don't run into the trope of having to cancel on her because we're busy with supernatural poo poo.
2 ABE
3 HN

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. Yes
2. ABE
3. IN

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. make plans
2. B
3. HN

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1no, not right now with the trouble we got hanging over our heads. 2a, 3i

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

NinjaPete posted:

1. Do you make plans with Alex?

Yes, let's make a coffee date for in a few days (assuming we're still around then).

NinjaPete posted:

2. What do we want to go into tomorrow planning? Vote for as many as you want.

A. Act as your cover, don’t do anything weird
B. Start building or finding a new Cover, Mabin’s time might be limited.

Moscow Rules; if Ruin and Tone need help, they'll reach out. In the meantime, maintain cover and look for an exit; we meet at the Broiler in 24 hours to debrief and plan.

Maintain trade-craft discipline.

NinjaPete posted:

3. What do we do here? Vote for as many as you want.

H. Pet Makwa.
J. Make a veiled threat to her.

"You know Mrs. Gilchist, I've been meaning to talk to you. As you can see, I do my part to protect the neighborhood, maybe you might want to start thinking about showing some appreciation? Makwa appreciates me, and I think we may all live happier lives if some appreciation and consideration is shown all around?"

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

1) Yes. Make plans for next week. Hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then (wishful thinking).
2) E. Looks like the infrastructure is responsible for the extreme cold, it's sucking up heat to spit out later and its guardian was able to tap this, which makes solving the problem by hitting the infrastructure directly a lot harder. We need to track down the sculptor. I'm not worried about Tone or Ruin, they've got each other's backs and should be able to take care of themselves without us drawing attention their way. If we lose trust in our ring and start panicking we're not going to get anything done.
3) N. Gilchist doesn't trust enough to buy our BS but she'd likely escalate if we do anything to make her feel threatened. This only reinforces Gilchist's suspicions that we are a dealer. Gilchist is probably going to go home and call the police about some sort of drug conflict, but I wouldn't expect the gang to stick around to talk to cops so she's probably got nothing.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2018

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
1) Yes, hopefully things will have blown over by next week. Or, she just won't remember us at all because we will be turbo gone.
2) AB just in case. We need an alter ego with researching skills. If we're going to be doing things by hiding in the shadows, it behooves us to be able to gather the intel necessary to point people where they need to go.
3) G Just walk away and silently dare her to do something about it. "Who, me, officer? I don't know what you're talking about." She's already made up her mind about us. Talking to her will only make things worse. And Gary sure as hell isn't pressing charges.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Mrs. Gilchrist stares at you, open mouthed. Makwa stands next to her, straining at his leash for pets, his doggie breath fogging in the air. Your mind whirls and clicks at a rate that is beyond human thinking.

Options:eliminationintimidationcoherisionretreatretreatnotvalidshelivesnextdoorwillidentifyeliminationservessameissuethoughperhapsasoulpactandimmeditaterequstitionofher
nothatisjustevilimnotamonstersoineedtodealwithherlongtermicouldintimidatehermaybeevenhurtthedognothatisnotanoptionfaultythinkingintimidationmightberesisted
shesawusbutwhatdidsheseeagirldefendingherselforapychopathlayingwastetopeoplecoherisionistheleastdrasticmorebeneitslessrisksweneedtoplaythisofflikeitsnotabigdealokaystartcrying.

You start crying, big heaping uglycrying as you stumble towards Mrs. Gilchrist. She back up but you ignore her and grab Makwa. The dog is surprised and delighted to be suddenly bear-hugged. You bury your face in his fur and breath deep, sobbing. Makwa shimmies out from your grasp and starts to lick your face. You rub his giant block of a head and look up at Gilchrist.

“Th-they came out of nowhere. O-one had a gun. I didn’t know what to d-do. I..I fought them off. Please, help me.”

She doesn’t move for a moment, then asks, quietly. “They attacked you first?”

“They grabbed me, I spun around and..I don’t know exactly what happened. Ruby told me there were some guys harassing her but..”

“They attacked you?”

“Yeah” you say, lamely.

“Stay away from me.”

“Wh-what?”

She pulls Makwa’s leash hard, and he reluctantly backs up away from you, she follows suit.

“I saw it Mabin. I saw it all. I heard it all. Stay away.” she turns and runs off. Or at least speed walks off as fast as an old woman can on ice.

You let her go, sitting on the snow until your face starts to numb, then you get up and go home.

1. Do you take the snub-nosed revolver?
A Yes, never know if we can use it or sell it. We’d have to repair it first though.
B Nope, leave it.
C Nope, but we’re gonna toss it down a drain.

You get home and breeze past Rocky to lock yourself in your apartment and try to calm yourself. You’ve hosed up. You didn’t check for witnesses. Mabin is a brawler, but even she shouldn’t be so ruthless like that. You’d promised to eat someone. This would be bad if Gilchrist talked.

2. Do you do anything else before bed? It’s something we’d have to do without leaving our apartment, so a digital dead drop, some research, finding a good way to stash incriminating stuff, whatever.

When you wake up you are panicked immediately. What if Mrs. Gilchrist has said something? You need to deal with this ASAP. You throw on a grey tank top and go over to knock on her door. Makwa heralds your coming and the door cracks open, chain still on.

“Hey,” you say. “Can we talk?”

“I haven’t called the police yet.” she says softly, not looking at you.

“I..okay. So...maybe I don’t need to come in. Right. Listen I..I know you think that I’m just to some bad stuff and I’m sure last night didn’t do anything to help with that. But, those were bad man Mrs. Gilchrist. They’re gangsters, they’re trying to force young girls to do..bad things. And..I know I maybe got carried away but, they needed to be scared off. They are evil people, preying on the weak.”

“And what about you Mabin Pillager?” Mrs. Gilchrist says, finally looking into your eyes. “Are you an evil person?”

That stops you. You could lie, and it would be convincing and it wouldn’t trouble you. Still, this seems like an important moment in your life, and certainly Mabin’s. You have hidden so much, kept yourself closed off from others, even those you care about. Maybe it is time for some truth, to shake off some of this guilt.

“I’ve done some illegal things, maybe even some bad things. But I’ve never hurt someone I thought was innocent, or helpless. And I’ve never stood by when I could have helped. I said some evil things last night Mrs. Gilchrist. I meant every one of them. This is my home you people are my family. Any one that comes and wants to take either of those from me is a dead person walking. That might make me sound evil, but..I have to admit to what I am.”

“Thank you for your honesty,” then she shuts the door.

You stand there, unsure what to do. You could break down the door, threaten her, but you had time for that last night and didn’t. Maybe it would be best for your ideas to ferment with her for awhile. It'll give you time to get things done.

3. How are you prioritizing your goals for the day?
D. Find some Cover, either by buying something of a Demon.
E. Go back to a sculpture, check it for traps or more ghost bombs.
F. Follow up on some other lead (what?)
G. Keep in touch with Ruin and Tone.

You walk into the lobby of Ebenezer Loren Assisted Care center and immediately feel uncomfortable. The nurses in their white scrubs flitting about and the residents being slow and sedentary quite honestly freaks you out a but. It seems too perfect and orderly, like this would be the ideal world of the Machine. You feel slightly trapped whenever you come in here and have to force yourself to smile, sign in, and head upstairs to visit Mabin’s grandma. She is sitting in a common room, over the speakers some madman has decided that showtunes from some old musical are the appropriate music.

Fleur Pillager was the first piece of cover you attained when you started to build Mabin. As Willhelm’s heath started to face you bumped into a young Native man who needed, amongst other things, some cash to start a new life. After some wheeling and dealing you Pacted his relationship with his grandmother, his only living relative. And suddenly like that, a young 20-something girl was partially born. It look months to develop the rest of the Cover, Pacting here and buying pieces of it there. But once Mabin had fully cooked you stepped into her life, just as Wilhelm was dying. The first person you saw as Mabin was “your” grandmother.

Over the years Fleur has become hunched and curled over, like an oak tree fighting the winds. Her hands, gnarled as they are by arthritis, flow over the quilt laying on her lap. Her fingers skip and dance in ways that you don’t know if your true 360% articulated ones could. He has thick owl-eyed glasses on and her hair is piled high in bun that looms at you.

“Boozhoo grandma.” you say.

“Ah, my little waabooz, I thought you were coming tomorrow!” Fleur starts to get up and you quickly hunch over to hug her in her seat, saving you both the trouble of her trying to stand. She fights you for a bit, and then settles down.

When she was younger Fleur was a hellcat. She has spent years regalling you with stories about running around with the Means and the Bellecourt brothers and founding the American Indian Movement. Of course, those men were far more interested with what was between her legs than what was on her mind. So Fleur was out of the spotlight. Still, she was at Wounded Knee and she had exchanged gunfire with “those fascist FBIs”. Fleur was granite given life, but she was tender too. You have memories of her singing for hours on end when Mabin was a baby. Of being swaddled and told the Old Stories about Nanabozho. Of course all of these are fake memories, but that doesn’t make them not real.

“I had the day free and I don’t know if I will tomorrow so, I figured I better make sure I see you today.”

“Surprising an old woman like that, what are you trying to do? Give me a heart attack?”

“Sorry nookomis.”

Fleur has the sing song Rez accent that makes everything she says sound doubly wise and important. No to say what Fleur says isn’t important, she just leans into the “Mystic Indian” bit a little. When was younger and it was hip to be Indian she traveled from White Earth to California hitching rides. She said that she never had to offer drivers sex or drugs for a ride, she’s promise to show them some “powerful medicine” that would connect them to their spirit animal. They often fell for it. Or maybe she actually did, you’ve always suspected Fleur was a bit of a legitimate Shaman.

“Oh are you feeling?”

“Oh, I’m bored Mabin. Did you know they’ve cancelled a lot of those cooking shows that used to be on TV? Like Julia Childs.”

“Well, she’s dead. Like, she's been dead forever.”

“Yeah, I know that. But that’s no good reason to stop showing her cook.”

Fleur has cried exactly once that you have seen in person. It was when Mabin came out. Fleur was a big believer in Two-Spirits, and so it wasn’t Mabin being gay that was the issue, but it also kind of was. With Mabin being the last Pillager the family line would end. Fleur had, in her mind, already a failed by raising a good for nothing son who let himself and his wife OD while their daughter played in the next room. Fleur cried because she wanted to much for Mabin to be able to correct her mistakes, and that would never happen. There was a blow up fight, one that neither Fleur or Mabin really meant, but the tension in the air needed to be let out.

Then the next week Fleur discovered in vitro fertilization. That has been an uncomfortable discussion

“So what are you doing all day?”

“I started watching Dr. Oz. you know Dr. Oz?”

“Heard of him.”

“He says some pretty crazy poo poo. We’re big fans of him here, ” she says gesturing to her roomates. “The things white people fall for.”

You talk to her for another hour, she shows you the new quilt she is making as part of some sort of quilting club (“Let me tell you, you correct one little old white lady about stitching once and the claws come out’). You tell her about seeing Alex last night, though you leave out exactly what the two of you discussed. Fleur likes Alex and finds the idea of a cop that turned on other cops hilarious. Eventually though it is time to leave, you have things to do.

You go make down to the lobby and head to the business desk. There you write an exorbitant check to the center, cleaning out most of your bank balance. You need to find a way to get Mabin to make more money so you aren’t struggling with cash all the time. It is expensive to pay for two residents here. The receptionist take your money and hands you a receipt.

“Did you manage to see both of them today?”

“No,” you say. “It was a quick visit. I’ll see Eliza soon.”

“Well, just let us know when you’re coming next time, we’ll make sure Mrs. Sager is awake.”

You give your thanks and leave the building. That is when Ruin messages you again.

That tends to be the shorthand for Mrs. Kind, though you cannot fathom what exactly it means. You head back to the Center to gather your kit and head out for the day when a bright red suburban pulls up next to you. You tense as the window is being rolled down, but you see Mrs. Kind leaning out of the car.

“‘Get in bitch, we’re going shopping’,” she shouts at you. Then she smiles and winks. “That’s from a movie!”

4.Do you?
H. Yes
I. No

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We're going to focus on watching our own actions, starting to build/get a new cover, and figure out that Infrastructure. The boys are on their own. We also have a coffee date with Alex next week.

I rolled Compromise after the last update. Being a little hoodlum is one thing, but decimating three adult men and threatening one the way we did was..unusual. We were Guilty, but I decided to roll that off by confessing to what and why we were doing what we were doing. So, we got a semi-free beat.

We also failed our lying to her about the dudes attacking us first, which I flipped to a Dramatic Failure for another beat. We’re playing a game here!

Additionally, I have Made a Conspiracy board for us to reference. You may add your own notes and comments. Please don't gently caress it up.

Character Sheet

World Map

Dice Rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. C Erase the evidence
2. Build a Safe
3. D
4. H