Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Garrand posted:

It's not the 1950s, interracial marriage is okay now.

I meant the fantasy concept of "white knight" being the good/holy side and "black knight" being on the evil side, not race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I meant the fantasy concept of "white knight" being the good/holy side and "black knight" being on the evil side

look at this guy double down on his racism

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Same. Nobody on that show is named anything like that as far as I know. It's such a forced way to shoehorn in the brony stuff. They could have at least picked a name like plibright markle or something, at least that would sound similar.

The closest they get is "Shining Armor," and that's not that close. Certainly not enough that MLP would be my first thought on hearing "White Knight," a phrase that I'm pretty sure goes back centuries."

Also if a "white knight" was introduced to a "black night" the appropriate response would be along the lines of "die infidel", not "let's gently caress".

DAY MAN, WHOA-OA!

I meant the fantasy concept of "white knight" being the good/holy side and "black knight" being on the evil side, not race.

I don't find Martin Lawrence all that funny, but "evil" seems a little harsh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hate myself for googling it but apparently there's White Knights in MLP fandom?

http://friendshipismagicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/White_Knights

It doesn't really explain anything about how his teacher and random classmate knew about it though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jurgan posted:

I don't find Martin Lawrence all that funny, but "evil" seems a little harsh.

I wish me seeing that movie was stdh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Len posted:

I hate myself for googling it but apparently there's White Knights in MLP fandom?

http://friendshipismagicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/White_Knights

It doesn't really explain anything about how his teacher and random classmate knew about it though.

Because there's a good chance whoever made up that story has no idea that "white knight" predates the cartoon for preschoolers he's obsessed with.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because there's a good chance whoever made up that story has no idea that "white knight" predates the cartoon for preschoolers he's obsessed with.

maybe he's a big bonnie tyler fan

Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of mlp?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

I wish me seeing that movie was stdh.

Boy this guy's really playing with fire. Mods?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s actually a character called shiro kishi in episode 11 season 2 of the show but heh I wouldn’t expect every plebe to know that.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
From a new mom on Facebook:

"I successfully went to the gym and did a full workout with my trainer as the little guy slept a few feet away. One older gentleman told me "You're an inspiration".

When I asked why he said, "Well everyone has an excuse that they don't have time for the gym. Obviously they are wrong since you're here".

Nothing against getting a good workout in but I call BS once the random person gets involved.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

oldpainless posted:

There’s actually a character called shiro kishi in episode 11 season 2 of the show but heh I wouldn’t expect every plebe to know that.

more like old shutthefuckupaboutchildren'scartoons

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

more like old shutthefuckupaboutchildren'scartoons

You seem overly angry for no reason my friend. I hope you calm down and enjoy life more.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Sleepytime posted:

From a new mom on Facebook:

"I successfully went to the gym and did a full workout with my trainer as the little guy slept a few feet away. One older gentleman told me "You're an inspiration".

When I asked why he said, "Well everyone has an excuse that they don't have time for the gym. Obviously they are wrong since you're here".

Nothing against getting a good workout in but I call BS once the random person gets involved.

Yeah, the thing about gyms is that all of the people in them are, well, going to the gym. Usually it’s a diverse crowd. So the fact that you decided to go too doesn’t really make you special or stand out.

Although I could totally believe her story happened, but just because there are a lot of creepy old guys who like to compliment younger women.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I don't know Japanese, and I wondered if his translation was accurate.

Japanese is weird and also I'm imagining other possible meanings for his pony name.

Edit: I was on mobile and I didn't realise it would be *so huge*

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Feb 28, 2018

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It's me, the intestine bank cuz I'm gonna make a deposit in your guts

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've tried learning Japanese.

Don't.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many Asian languages have different pitches and tones for the same word to denote completely different meanings to the word? For example, I could say "shiro" in one tone and mean "intestine" but in another tone or pitch it might mean "castle," which is why the same word in the language might mean ten different things depending on how you say it? I mean, as opposed to English, which has homophones that sound and are sometimes spelled the same way, that might mean multiple things, only differentiated by context.

I don't know if Japanese falls under this or if I'm at all right about it, just a thought. It seems like a friend from my Army days who was from Hong Kong told me this--he was fluent in English with absolutely no accent, and fluent also in Mandarin, but I may be remembering it wrong, and obviously he couldn't speak for the Japanese language.

edit: I mean my friend was fluent in Cantonese, not Mandarin, the latter not being prevalent in Hong Kong.

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tankadillo posted:

Although I could totally believe her story happened, but just because there are a lot of creepy old guys who like to compliment younger women.

My gym has creepy old guys who like to compliment younger guys

:ohdear:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

life is killing me posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many Asian languages have different pitches and tones for the same word to denote completely different meanings to the word? For example, I could say "shiro" in one tone and mean "intestine" but in another tone or pitch it might mean "castle," which is why the same word in the language might mean ten different things depending on how you say it? I mean, as opposed to English, which has homophones that sound and are sometimes spelled the same way, that might mean multiple things, only differentiated by context.

I don't know if Japanese falls under this or if I'm at all right about it, just a thought. It seems like a friend from my Army days who was from Hong Kong told me this--he was fluent in English with absolutely no accent, and fluent also in Mandarin, but I may be remembering it wrong, and obviously he couldn't speak for the Japanese language.

edit: I mean my friend was fluent in Cantonese, not Mandarin, the latter not being prevalent in Hong Kong.

Japanese doesn't really use tone changes. A lot of words are completely identical and you need to use context to determine the meaning. This gets even more complex with the writing systems, because Japan is crazy enough to have multiple writing systems that have distinct characters for both individual sounds and specific words or phrases.

This stuff from Death Note is a good example. When the characters are spelling their names for someone else, they emphasize which characters to use:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Japanese is not tonal. It could still be more homophonic than what we're used to in English, but context should make it differentiable most of the time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Japanese doesn't really use tone changes. A lot of words are completely identical and you need to use context to determine the meaning. This gets even more complex with the writing systems, because Japan is crazy enough to have multiple writing systems that have distinct characters for both individual sounds and specific words or phrases.

kimbo305 posted:

Japanese is not tonal. It could still be more homophonic than what we're used to in English, but context should make it differentiable most of the time.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Japanese doesn’t really use tone in the same way English does. You have to use the context of the conversation to snuff out the meaning.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Japanese is a disaster because they decided to map their existing language into Chinese characters, another existing language that is nothing like Japanese. This means the same Chinese characters can actually be mapped to completely different Japanese syllables and also you can have dozens of different Chinese characters that map to the same Japanese syllables. And there's also a 3rd way of writing syllables that are supposed to be used specifically for sounding out foreign words so you can tell they're foreign loaner words, but sometimes that's not very consistent either.

If you want to better understand why Japanese is a disaster, let me give you an example of what it would be like if English came about the same way. Let's say you already have English words (pretend it's not a mishmash of a ton of other languages) written with the 26 English characters. Suppose that at some point in history England became incredibly intertwined with Russia, and we though Russian was a better "proper language" than English. So now a vast majority of English words have to be written as what the Russian word would be for it, except you still pronounce all the words the same way. Привет is "hi" in Russian, pronounced preevyet, except we still say hi it's just any time you want to write the word "hi" you write Привет. 90% of your language is now written with Cyrillic letters but your spoken word remains exactly the same. Now suppose any word that has roots in Greek must be written using different characters, because in this example Ancient Greece had no actual influence on English and now Greek is a dominant language in the world. Except you can't just use Greek characters either, because they don't map cleanly enough to English. So you have to come up with an entirely different looking alphabet from the English alphabet or the Greek alphabet, and now all words with Greek origin are written using this new alphabet. This is literally how Japanese works. Of course, knowing that English is a combination of so many other languages makes this really weird, but if you're fluent in English at least bear with me and pretend English was established mostly from a singular language.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Ultima66 posted:

Japanese is a disaster because they decided to map their existing language into Chinese characters, another existing language that is nothing like Japanese. This means the same Chinese characters can actually be mapped to completely different Japanese syllables and also you can have dozens of different Chinese characters that map to the same Japanese syllables. And there's also a 3rd way of writing syllables that are supposed to be used specifically for sounding out foreign words so you can tell they're foreign loaner words, but sometimes that's not very consistent either.

If you want to better understand why Japanese is a disaster, let me give you an example of what it would be like if English came about the same way. Let's say you already have English words (pretend it's not a mishmash of a ton of other languages) written with the 26 English characters. Suppose that at some point in history England became incredibly intertwined with Russia, and we though Russian was a better "proper language" than English. So now a vast majority of English words have to be written as what the Russian word would be for it, except you still pronounce all the words the same way. Привет is "hi" in Russian, pronounced preevyet, except we still say hi it's just any time you want to write the word "hi" you write Привет. 90% of your language is now written with Cyrillic letters but your spoken word remains exactly the same. Now suppose any word that has roots in Greek must be written using different characters, because in this example Ancient Greece had no actual influence on English and now Greek is a dominant language in the world. Except you can't just use Greek characters either, because they don't map cleanly enough to English. So you have to come up with an entirely different looking alphabet from the English alphabet or the Greek alphabet, and now all words with Greek origin are written using this new alphabet. This is literally how Japanese works. Of course, knowing that English is a combination of so many other languages makes this really weird, but if you're fluent in English at least bear with me and pretend English was established mostly from a singular language.

No, they borrowed a poo poo load of pronunciations, too. Except that the pronunciation is basically how the Japanese at the time interpreted the specific dialect they were borrowing from, followed by 1000 years of pronunciation shifts within the Japanese language.

These videos give a better summary than I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcdYKxHT8kY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3MRMBjd20

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing that annoyed me trying to learn Japanese was trying to do listening exercises - I picked newsreaders due to clear diction being a requirement, but trying to pick out what she was saying was impossible because one of the syllables in one of the words either got dropped due to her dialect or absorbed into the other syllables. Even when I'd worked out the word she was using via subtitles and careful listening, I couldn't find that loving syllable. It was like instead of "Komaewa", I was hearing just "Koewa", the ma had been eaten by her pronunciation of the rest of the word. I think in the end I figured that the a and e had combined into the dipthong (ae) and the m was too lightly pronounced to see her mouth forming it, it kind of got skipped over.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Japanese speakers literally complain about this same poo poo when trying to learn English.

Edit vvv Precisely.

The best language is Esperanto and I will hear no word against it.

don longjohns has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Mar 1, 2018

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

failing forward posted:

Japanese speakers literally complain about this same poo poo when trying to learn English.

Everyone complains about this poo poo about every other language that they hear spoken naturally. Your own language is logical and obvious, other people's language is a random mishmash of indistinguishable sounds.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Kanji are objectively bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The real problem is there were no base principles for language, so every group who has one had to reinvent the wheel and just make it up as they went along. Of course all languages are a clusterfuck if you aren't part of them from an early age.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You all have studied more than me so you would know but I thought Chinese characters were pictographs? How do you complain about pronunciation changes for a writing system which by design has no relation to pronunciation in the first place?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You all have studied more than me so you would know but I thought Chinese characters were pictographs? How do you complain about pronunciation changes for a writing system which by design has no relation to pronunciation in the first place?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Just because a writing system is pictographic that doesn't mean the language it's used in doesn't have rules for pronunciation. That said, even kanji is not completely divorced from pronunciation, as parts of the character will often give a hint about how it's pronounced in certain context. Also, kanji is just one of three Japanese alphabets, the other two are phonetic. It's a bit of a clusterfuck because the origin of modern written Japanese is basically trying to fit the square peg of Chinese characters into the round hole of the Japanese language.

Also to address the original reason for the derail, "shiro kishi" would be immediately understood to mean "white knight" by any Japanese speaker unless there was very specific context suggesting it meant something else.

Also god drat that Death Note panel makes me furious, I hope that's not taken from a serious scanlation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven’t read the manga, but the official English dub has that scene as well and Light dictates which characters to use for his name.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Japanese. The pronunciation is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical linguistics most of the syllables will go over a typical listener’s head. There’s also Japan’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its kanji- its writing draws heavily from Chinese literature, for instance. The Japanese understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this language, to realise that they’re not just meaningful- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Japanese truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Naruto’s existential catchphrase “dattebayo,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Masashi Kishimoto’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a katakana tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven’t read the manga, but the official English dub has that scene as well and Light dictates which characters to use for his name.

I'm sorry, who? I think you mean "Yagami Raito".
:goonsay:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I've seen the show, I remember the original dialogue. The translation is still atrocious, not just because it's really awkwardly translated but also because it's supposed to be a translation, not a kanji of the day lesson.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Comptroll The Forums posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Japanese. The pronunciation is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical linguistics most of the syllables will go over a typical listener’s head. There’s also Japan’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its kanji- its writing draws heavily from Chinese literature, for instance. The Japanese understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this language, to realise that they’re not just meaningful- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Japanese truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Naruto’s existential catchphrase “dattebayo,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Masashi Kishimoto’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a katakana tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Source your quotes. *tips fedora*

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

sixth and maimed posted:

Source your quotes. *tips fedora*

It's Rick & Morty copypasta.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This thread turned extremely bad with language chat.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Biplane posted:

This thread turned extremely bad with language chat.

Get a higher IQ dawgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here, have some woke kids.