Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to release a country as a tributary rather than a vassal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I don't think so. Though you might be able to release as vassal, immediately end the subject relationship and demand tribute, then declare war with the cb. But you'd still need to invade at least one planet, and your defence armies would prbably transfer over to the vassal. Still, for a small vassal, it shouldn't be too much effort, at least as long as you don't give them any star ports. Or none that are difficult to take.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This loving lovely federation decided to take out one of the marauders outposts and woke them up and now they're rampaging through my territory while the unbidden eat the other side of the galaxy. Thanks, assholes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I thought they hotfixed the "pops being purged not producing resources" thing? I'm turning these c'thulu fuckers into batteries and I'm not getting any juice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you want to get in on the AI's fleet upkeep discounts, try forming a federation. I seem to be able to build infinite ships for my federation and my upkeep costs don't go up at all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seeing your mineral and energy production rocket up after you've knocked over a fallen empire and re-purposed their OP buildings feels so good. Completely reminded me why even friendly old tech wizards should be mugged for everything they own.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gort posted:

If you want to get in on the AI's fleet upkeep discounts, try forming a federation. I seem to be able to build infinite ships for my federation and my upkeep costs don't go up at all.

Federation fleet has never cost maintenance iirc, it's just more noticeable now with the big mineral maintenance costs. The federation fleet has no fleet cap, though its naval capacity is a hard cap rather than a soft cap (though the "hard cap" can be bypassed by queueing up builds that push it over cap). But yes, it's quite potent since it gives you a huge concentration of force.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is it possible to see the marauder's eventual destination so I can at least move my fleets out of their way and not keep spending there if they'll just gently caress me a few years down the line?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wish Jump Drives were a toggle that gave you the debuff while they're active, and for 120 days (or more) after, rather than having such a long cooldown.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So, pirates can spawn when your science ship is in that system surveying it.

That sucks.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Is it possible to see the marauder's eventual destination so I can at least move my fleets out of their way and not keep spending there if they'll just gently caress me a few years down the line?

Yeah, click on the fleet and it'll tell you what planet they are moving to attack. You can use the search tool to find what system that planet is in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, click on the fleet and it'll tell you what planet they are moving to attack. You can use the search tool to find what system that planet is in.

Huh, I'll take another look the next time one spawns then. I saw it telling me which system they were moving to next but by the time they're one system away there's nothing I can do and it's mostly just depressing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

So, pirates can spawn when your science ship is in that system surveying it.

That sucks.

Yes, I've had this happen a number of times. In the game I was screwing around with last night I had them pop in barely 6 months after clearing out one of those lightning monsters. Pirate base spawned in on top of the science vessel literally as it was scanning the last planet.

Thankfully the scientist wasn't lost when his ship blew up somehow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Make one of the discovery traditions instant emergency FTL for science ships.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

My favorite is when it just says "Attacking Starbase"

ok fuckin great, which, i have 50 of them

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
For all the bugs and issues. We can't lose sight of the big picture truth:

2.0 is good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, do you actually need low unrest to turn aliens into food/batteries?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

toasterwarrior posted:

I thought they hotfixed the "pops being purged not producing resources" thing? I'm turning these c'thulu fuckers into batteries and I'm not getting any juice.

Make sure you have patch 2.0.1 [checksum fb8b] installed.

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah. If you try and turn aliens into food/batteries, their unrest will be pegged at 100%. At least in 2.0.0, that drops their output to 0. Supposedly fixed in 2.0.1 but see above.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ulmont posted:

Make sure you have patch 2.0.1 [checksum fb8b] installed.

Nah. If you try and turn aliens into food/batteries, their unrest will be pegged at 100%. At least in 2.0.0, that drops their output to 0. Supposedly fixed in 2.0.1 but see above.

I got the hotfix but it's not working. I hope it isn't the increased ship speed mod posted earlier, since that was listed for 2.0 only, but apparently some other people on reddit are still experiencing the purge bug.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

toasterwarrior posted:

I got the hotfix but it's not working. I hope it isn't the increased ship speed mod posted earlier, since that was listed for 2.0 only, but apparently some other people on reddit are still experiencing the purge bug.

Yeah you need to reduce unrest. Drop down some patrol drones and you should be fine.

What fleet power do I need to clear out marauders? I found one close to my Empire and as Driven Exterminators I am driven to exterminate them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Totally blocked by mining drones, buuuut have a load of planets. Going tall I guess for now.

edit: found another habitable planet :psyduck: all within a few jumps of the start. .25x planets my butt.

The map generator guarantees that every starting point has a handful of habitable worlds nearby. I feel like this could have weird effects with low planet maps, in that most of the habitable planets end up clustered around the starts.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

the marauder side systems arnt too bad but the main system can be a slog, especially since black holes have disengagement maluses.

The biggest issue seems to be fleets constantly getting distracted by the random stations while enemy ships shoot them in the butt. I cleared out marauders with about a 25-30k fleet, but the distraction issue lost me alot of ships and I had to retreat once.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The map generator guarantees that every starting point has a handful of habitable worlds nearby. I feel like this could have weird effects with low planet maps, in that most of the habitable planets end up clustered around the starts.

yeah, i used to run 0.5 habitables but i kicked it up to 0.75 because it felt too clustered around homeworlds.

Would be interesting if habitables scaled your freebies too somehow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to easily locate the lead fleet in a convoy?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was fixing unhappy pops not giving resources. You can have sad cows as long as they don't start strapping lightsabers to their horns.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 1, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah you need to reduce unrest. Drop down some patrol drones and you should be fine.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources even if you reduced the unrest.

Oh, alright. That does make sense. Sorry, never really played Determined Exterminators before so I was confused. I did play a Devouring Swarm, but that's when attack armies lowered unrest. Time to set up some fortresses and ship some bots in!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Is there a way to easily locate the lead fleet in a convoy?

You can check one of the follower fleets to see what they are following.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh, alright. That does make sense. Sorry, never really played Determined Exterminators before so I was confused. I did play a Devouring Swarm, but that's when attack armies lowered unrest. Time to set up some fortresses and ship some bots in!

Yeah it was super easy to deal with unrest in 1.9. Drop in a load of troops, build some defensive armies, fire up the orbital mind control lasers, and maybe purge a couple of pops if poo poo is still rough.

Now it's harder. Gotta build that fortress, declare martial law, maybe build a black site in the local starbase.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Ah hmm, might just look odd to me because I'm on a spiral galaxy as opposed to elliptical and the distance is compressed a bit somehow.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The automated dreadnought rocks but keep it in its own fleet:

1) It's slow as poo poo
2) it has a Jump Drive

Also - not sure if this changed with 2.0 but Uplift is back to being doable in an owned system again, not neessary to colonize the planet anymore.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canepazzo posted:

Also - not sure if this changed with 2.0 but Uplift is back to being doable in an owned system again, not neessary to colonize the planet anymore.

I did it countless times in 1.9.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my raiders finally did a thing! They got a great khan and expanded into some unoccupied neighbouring systems and then stopped doing anything at all for a good 20 years. They've got a huge collection of massive fleets, each one could probably stomp a neighbour, but they just sit there. They only have 2 directions to go, one through a squishy federation, the other through a FE. They've chosen neither :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

So my raiders finally did a thing! They got a great khan and expanded into some unoccupied neighbouring systems and then stopped doing anything at all for a good 20 years. They've got a huge collection of massive fleets, each one could probably stomp a neighbour, but they just sit there. They only have 2 directions to go, one through a squishy federation, the other through a FE. They've chosen neither :(

Could they have access to a wormhole or gateway? Do you see activity elsewhere in the galaxy?

In my second Great Khan event, they ignored their immediate neighbors and went through a wormhole to gently caress up the fanatic pacifists on the other side of the galaxy, because there was easy access through a wormhole.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So I've been having interesting experiences with my first few wars. I had some pretty simple claim/conquest war goals, but in the second war one of the claims had planets in it. I went in, wiped out their fleets, and started conquering star systems. Eventually I got their war exhaustion to 100%, but didn't get the war score high enough to end the war due to not having taken the planets. I gathered up some armies and went and conquered the planets and ended the war, but along the way I realised that the 2/3 of their systems were making me a lot of energy, minerals and research.

So if I had wanted to be exploitative, I could have drawn out the war for as long as my war exhaustion allowed, occupying (and harvesting) most of their empire for the intervening 10-20 years as a kind of poor man's vassalisation. I'm not even sure those systems count towards the research and unity maluses, so it's kinda extra exploitative...

This kinda feels like a loophole enabled by empires now getting the majority of their production from star systems rather than planets...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ConfusedUs posted:

Could they have access to a wormhole or gateway? Do you see activity elsewhere in the galaxy?

In my second Great Khan event, they ignored their immediate neighbors and went through a wormhole to gently caress up the fanatic pacifists on the other side of the galaxy, because there was easy access through a wormhole.

Nope, just sitting there terrified of the peaceful gecko aliens and their massive pacifist federation that has a combined fleet of maybe 15k while the Khan has about 6 fleets that big or larger. Previously they never raided at all. The last 3 games I've re-started all saw the raiders just sit inactive within their borders (I'd trade sensor links to keep an eye on them). The very first game I played when 2.0 dropped they had a wormhole and were quite active. Are they supposed to start with one?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new version of Real Space has some really pretty system generation:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aw man, you need the Armageddon Expansion to play Fanatical Purifiers and Post Apocalyptic :(

I guess I will have to make a civ as these awesome Mantis Shrimp looking creatures instead :3:

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The new version of Real Space has some really pretty system generation:

Despite the mod description saying it's been balanced around the new mechanics, I was worried the system sizes would do something screwy in regards to ship travel time. You had any issues with it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ignorant Hick posted:

Despite the mod description saying it's been balanced around the new mechanics, I was worried the system sizes would do something screwy in regards to ship travel time. You had any issues with it?

The mod generates a bunch of binary star systems so you gotta watch out when you place outposts. If you right click a system it'll list and subtract the cost of two outposts, but once you build one around one star the system is 'claimed' and the other outpost build becomes invalid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ignorant Hick posted:

It takes a very long time to transit across systems but I like slow games so I don't have an issue with that. I assume you could use it with a ship speed increaser?

Some of the rarer new star types have terrain modifiers. Oh and if you tell it to build an outpost from the starmap it will try to build one on every star in the system, I think it can only actually complete one of them though, I dunno how it would react if you left it to try and build two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a reason why fleets set to aggressive don't auto-bomb planets anymore? Is there a way to turn this back on?