Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Swing is weird because it never really goes away. It just occasionally has something break into the spotlight. You could probably find a good swing band playing live somewhere within 100 miles of you this week.

CheesyDog posted:

As long as that are horny young Christians in marching band who have no idea how to party there will be a swing revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ofecks posted:

Smashing Pumpkins are touring this year with their original lineup minus Darcy

Some more of the obscure altrock bands from the 90's have done reunion shows/new albums in recent years - Failure, Slowdive, MBV, Hum, etc.

I'm pretty sure this was very early 90s only. The gangsta/thug culture explosion that happened, in a distant but perpendicular parallel manner with grunge, killed that poo poo off quickly.

I worked at a dry cleaners for most of the 00s. Classic cartoon characters in popular urban getup doesn't go away, they just change what they're wearing. Whole lotta dumbasses wanting their "Daffy Duck slinging coke" lovely silkscreened tees drycleaned. And would be pissed when we couldn't keep the tags on.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Swing is weird because it never really goes away. It just occasionally has something break into the spotlight. You could probably find a good swing band playing live somewhere within 100 miles of you this week unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Ah, yes. A good swing band...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

I worked at a dry cleaners for most of the 00s. Classic cartoon characters in popular urban getup doesn't go away, they just change what they're wearing. Whole lotta dumbasses wanting their "Daffy Duck slinging coke" lovely silkscreened tees drycleaned. And would be pissed when we couldn't keep the tags on.

That would explain a LOT. Bugs needs to share his weed.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
The UK division of Toys R' Us went bust today.
So did the massive electronics retailers Maplin.

Both those stores had the same basic problem: Amazon. 20 years ago if you wanted an Action Man or a cable to connect your microwave to your toilet, you'd go to Toys R' Us or Maplin respectively. Now I can get those things online at nearly half the price without having to talk to the kinds of people who populate toy and electronics stores.

In news from planet Juszkiewicz, Gibson's CEO has made a speech blaming retailers for the company's problems. A few relevant facts for those not so familiar with the guitar industry:

- Gibson has a policy whereby if a retailer wants to stock Gibsons, they have to stock the whole range. That means that the Mom and Pop guitar store has to stock $6000 monstrosities before they can sell the $2000 guitars that people might actually buy - MIGHT. So they don't bother and stock PRS, Godin, ESP, Schecter and a dozen other manufacturers with less crazy policies (and better guitars for the money). I know 4 guitar store owners in the UK and US. None of them stock Gibsons, primarily for this reason.
- Gibson's quality assurance is so bad that even the guitars on display on their website have visible defects. The reason nobody wants to buy a Gibson online is that without examining the guitar for faults in person, they don't know what they're getting. I would have no confidence buying a new Gibson online without trying it first, but I have bought other manufacturers' guitars off the internet because I know what I'm getting.
- The equivalent guitars from ESP, PRS, Godin and the like cost about $1500-$2000 compared to $3000+ for a good Les Paul. Not only are the specs comparable, but these other makers have way more consistent quality, better choice of specs/finishes, and better customer service. For a price-conscious pro musician who needs a reliable quality instrument rather than a 50-year-old lawyer buying a guitar as a wall ornament because he was too chicken to slake his midlife crisis with a motorbike, it's no contest.

All these things hint at the main problem - Juszkiewicz thinks Gibson's brand is waaaay stronger than it is. Maybe 20 years ago they could bully guitar store owners and overcharge customers, but now both the retailers and the consumer can just say "nope, don't care about Gibson" and leave them behind. Young guitarists just don't want Gibsons, because their heroes don't play them - Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold, play ESPs, Nickleback and Opeth play PRS, Steve Vai and Tosin Abasi play Ibanez (in part because Gibson treat all their endorsees who aren't Slash like garbage), and they can go on the internet and learn how bad Gibsons are. Who cares if Peter Green made great records with a Les Paul in the 70's - who the gently caress is he?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Swing is weird because it never really goes away. It just occasionally has something break into the spotlight. You could probably find a good swing band playing live somewhere within 100 miles of you this week unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

I imagine this is because mostly free training is available from middle school to college. All those band nerds that didn't make a career out of it can just transition into swing with their otherwise useless skill.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The bigger reason Gibson is close to bankruptcy is because they bought the consumer electronic division of Phillips, intending to become a "music lifestyle" company, and whoops, Phillips was getting rid of that division because it was losing money hand over fist because no one wanted those defunct brands. Now the debt is coming due and the Phillips acquisition never made a cent and the core business never made enough to cover that debt. Moody's taking a look at that debt, realizing that Gibson never could pay it off, and demoting their credit to junk is just icing on the cake.

http://cdm.link/2018/02/gibson-troubles-suggest-time-new-management/

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Feb 28, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ofecks posted:

Smashing Pumpkins are touring this year with their original lineup minus Darcy

Some more of the obscure altrock bands from the 90's have done reunion shows/new albums in recent years - Failure, Slowdive, MBV, Hum, etc.

I'm pretty sure this was very early 90s only. The gangsta/thug culture explosion that happened, in a distant but perpendicular parallel manner with grunge, killed that poo poo off quickly.

I pretty distinctly remember those shirts being a thing in 5th grade so yeah probably 90-91

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sharknado slashfic posted:

I pretty distinctly remember those shirts being a thing in 5th grade so yeah probably 90-91

I had one in around 1992 when I was in 6th grade. My mom didn't get me the cool hip-hop one so I never wore it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I remember seeing redneck moms out in the central valley/san berdoo wearing gangsta taz and tweety denim well into the 2000s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A local Burger King has had framed versions of those gangster Looney Toons since the 90s. It's fantastic.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I remember seeing redneck moms out in the central valley/san berdoo wearing gangsta taz and tweety denim well into the 2000s.

Yeah but I mean the backwards clothes ones were inspired by Kris Kross no?

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Axeman Jim posted:

Gibson Guitar stuff

I just wanted to say thanks for this explanation and analysis. I know nothing about guitars and I like seeing good breakdowns of why a company is making GBS threads the bed, even if it's in an industry I know nothing about.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I just noticed that Ghetto Bugs and Taz have their hair loc-ed.
The entirety of the 90's Warner Brothers era was a mistake except Space Jam.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Axeman Jim posted:

Nickleback and Opeth play PRS
Are they the only ones who use PRS or did you choose two laughably lovely bands on purpose?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I think Carlos Santana plays PRS as well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stairs posted:

The entirety of the 90's Warner Brothers era was a mistake except Space Jam.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt and assume you stroked out and just forgot about Animaniacs et al.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

So the 90s had Animaniacs and Space Jam.

What did the mid-2000s have?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doggles posted:

I saw an episode of that once

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doggles posted:

https://youtu.be/-9nOD1h0m8Q

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Doggles posted:

impressed at the inclusion of Islam Tasmanian in the post-9/11 era

god I remember seeing the ads for that. It just looked absolutely miserable

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Yawgmoth posted:

Are they the only ones who use PRS or did you choose two laughably lovely bands on purpose?

They're two bands that sell a lot of records and have PRS endorsements, but thanks for sharing your opinion I guess.

And yes, Santana was one of the first PRS endorsees that anyone had heard of.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Trabant posted:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt and assume you stroked out and just forgot about Animaniacs et al.

Actually yes. Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were aces. Oh poo poo and Batman the Animated Series.
I'll fake edit:
Everything WB did in the 90's related to Bugs Bunny that wasn't Space Jam, Tiny Toons or Animaniacs was terrible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw an episode of that once

I'm sorry you had to suffer that terrible, terrible fate.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Doggles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-etRy0dg8

Wasn't all bad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8215382/gibson-ceo-henry-juszkiewicz-guitar-retail-interview

quote:

"There are problems with the guitar retail industry," explains Juszkiewicz who has been CEO of Gibson since 1992, after acquiring the company in 1986. "All of the retailers are fearful as can be; they're all afraid of e-commerce, with Amazon just becoming the second largest employer in the US, and the brick and mortar guys are just panicking.

Maybe I'm old but I can't think of a single time I bought and instrument without playing it. Now I do know there are situations where someone will buy a guitar/amp combo from Amazon because they are starting out or just curious. But these people are buying no name brands, not Gibsons.

quote:

It’s a turbulent world to be a retailer, and many of our retail partners are facing that same issue.

That's because you force them to stock lovely "special editions" that they know even the Weekend Warriors won't buy.

quote:

The first thing we are doing is try to teach the stores how to merchandise. I've been arguing with retailers for a long time that you have to be a place where [potential customers] can sit and take in the store, and be a destination that is friendly. If you walk into most music stores, there's nowhere to sit. Give me a break! Most stores aren't comfortable places. You don't have the people in the stores that care [that there aren't any new customers].They put all of these guitars on the wall, and they put the best ones out of reach. Because you might steal one? Well, that's one way to look at it, but Apple doesn't look at it that way, and most of their stuff is more expensive than a lot of higher end guitars. Their products are just out on tables for everyone to pick up and look at, and while they have some theft protection, its not like they have a security force in each store. We just have the whole thing wrong. If you want customers, you have to be nice to them, and give them a place where they are comfortable.

Now this I can kinda agree with. Guitar Center (plus Long and McQuade in Canada) are just soulless. I feel like I might as well shop at Best Buy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bonzo posted:

Maybe I need to read it again but I didn't feel like it was as obvious as Ready Player One. Maybe I just really hate the book but am forced to read it because a friend give it to me as a gift.
Part of that is because the 50-60s era was kind of normalized in the childhoods of people from the 70s-80s (hell, some into the 90s too thanks to that theatrical Grease rerelease). So Sock Hops and Going Steady and Soda Shops and terrible casual / systemic racism or riding bikes down to the creek with your buddies were all quaint.

Part of that is also that King uses his own experiences to give the world commonality and familiarity, but branches off to tell his story in that world in a way that feels genuine.
RPO is just autistic pop culture listing for the benefit of looking like King Nerd.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Bonzo posted:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8215382/gibson-ceo-henry-juszkiewicz-guitar-retail-interview

Maybe I'm old but I can't think of a single time I bought and instrument without playing it. Now I do know there are situations where someone will buy a guitar/amp combo from Amazon because they are starting out or just curious. But these people are buying no name brands, not Gibsons.

That's because you force them to stock lovely "special editions" that they know even the Weekend Warriors won't buy.

Now this I can kinda agree with. Guitar Center (plus Long and McQuade in Canada) are just soulless. I feel like I might as well shop at Best Buy.

Wow, way to blame literally everyone but yourself, Gibson CEO guy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

Long and McQuade is a music instrument rental company, not a music instrument sales company. Anything they make from sales is nice and it keeps their name circulating, but the profit from rental dwarfs it.

The Gibson guy sounds hugely disconnected from the actual problems with both his company and the industry in general. He has some ‘gut feeling’ that he is convinced is the solution, and focuses all his attention on how nobody will try it, without ever asking them why they won’t do it. This is pretty common at all levels, this guy just has the authority to make an entire company suffer his delusions.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Long and McQuade is a music instrument rental company, not a music instrument sales company. Anything they make from sales is nice and it keeps their name circulating, but the profit from rental dwarfs it.

I bet they make quite a bit from financing too. I once overheard a salesperson trying to pitch a finance plan to two kids (well, maybe they were 19 or 20) for an $80 cymbal.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Bonzo posted:

Online guitar sales are huge right now across all brands. Fender even added a direct-sale model to their website a few years ago.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bonzo posted:

Agile is a big name that comes to mind that I've never seen brand new in a store. I think the only way to get one is from Rondo music online. I have one and it's impeccably made and tough as nails. My 2017 les paul standard blueberry burst is a pretty, fragile thing that sounds pretty good and plays nice.The agile is an oar with strings and can double as a truncheon. (interceptor 727 pro natural mahogany) For gently caress's sake the thing has a 5 piece quartersawn maple neck that puts that stupid gibson neck to shame. You can find the gibson factory tour on youtube and see first-hand why the gibson neck is a terrible design. It's not quartersawn and snaps along the grain lines. They've been needing to fix that design since the silent film era.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I bet they make quite a bit from financing too. I once overheard a salesperson trying to pitch a finance plan to two kids (well, maybe they were 19 or 20) for an $80 cymbal.

I’ve had two kids in band. The clarinet I financed would have ended up costing me $1200 before I realized WTF and bought a 40 year old one off eBay and spent $200 servicing it. Total cost (including the 8 months I was paying on the first one) was less than $500.

The $300 trumpet off Amazon I got for the next kid has survived almost two years of use. Even if it breaks, I can now buy another one and still come out ahead for her remaining year of band. Instrument rental is such a scam.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve had two kids in band. The clarinet I financed would have ended up costing me $1200 before I realized WTF and bought a 40 year old one off eBay and spent $200 servicing it. Total cost (including the 8 months I was paying on the first one) was less than $500.

The $300 trumpet off Amazon I got for the next kid has survived almost two years of use. Even if it breaks, I can now buy another one and still come out ahead for her remaining year of band. Instrument rental is such a scam.

Hell yes it is. The only place I've seen it actually work was back when I was in middle school (like 30 something years ago) and a small town music store charged less for students who were just starting out. Because they did this, people from all over the city came and rented from them so it balanced things out for th owners.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Krispy Wafer posted:

Instrument rental is such a scam.

I think it's makes sense for parents whose kids change their minds or flit from interest to interest a lot. This way you don't have a clarinet just sitting in the garage next to the bedazzler forever.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ladron posted:

I think it's makes sense for parents whose kids change their minds or flit from interest to interest a lot. This way you don't have a clarinet just sitting in the garage next to the bedazzler forever.

But then you don't have the option of picking up clarinet lessons yourself to spite your fickle offspring!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Puppy Time posted:

But then you don't have the option of picking up clarinet lessons yourself to spite your fickle offspring!

you can just bedazzle it, dumbass

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I taught Orchestra for a while, and holy hell do not buy instruments off Amazon. Or the Internet. They're Chinese garbage that sound like rear end, are hard to play, and are going to bust in your kid's hand. The point of rentals is that (if the shop itself isn't garbage for idiots) you'll get a nicer quality instrument that your kid will have an easier time playing (because it isn't busted bullshit) and will like the sound of, and therefore be encouraged to stay in music class, thus making your whatever dollar investment not hot garbage.

Ask your kid's band teacher if you don't believe me. Sometimes it's okay to pay some money for things.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I played cello growing up and the full-sized one my parents bought mid-90's was $2000ish and that was merely on the decent, but cheap, end. My teacher's cello was somewhere past $20k and has probably appreciated considerably since then. Buying a stringed instrument for a couple hundred is lunacy, never mind not even trying it out before buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bean posted:

I taught Orchestra for a while, and holy hell do not buy instruments off Amazon. Or the Internet. They're Chinese garbage that sound like rear end, are hard to play, and are going to bust in your kid's hand. The point of rentals is that (if the shop itself isn't garbage for idiots) you'll get a nicer quality instrument that your kid will have an easier time playing (because it isn't busted bullshit) and will like the sound of, and therefore be encouraged to stay in music class, thus making your whatever dollar investment not hot garbage.

Ask your kid's band teacher if you don't believe me. Sometimes it's okay to pay some money for things.

I played trumpet primarily because my dad and grandpa had played trumpet, and used the same trumpet they did. Just three generations of dudes mixing their spit together