Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Wrong thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Going to be playing a game with some friends in a couple of hours for my first 2.0 game. Can anyone give me a decent empire build to go with for a returning player?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Everyone should get the beta patch.
Man the difference to Unity is unreal!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Magil Zeal posted:

Well the update allowed me to fill out every single tradition tree and run 4 simultaneous unity ambitions in my current game, to make clear just how badly the bug was loving anyone who liked to expand :v:

Wait, what bug?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Wait, what bug?

In 2.0-2.0.1, the increasing Unity costs for systems and colonies were a multiplicative increase with each other. They are intended to be additive (like pretty much everything else in the game that's %-based and applies to resources). 2.0.2 fixed this bug.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

In 2.0-2.0.1, the increasing Unity costs for systems and colonies were a multiplicative increase with each other. They are intended to be additive (like pretty much everything else in the game that's %-based and applies to resources). 2.0.2 fixed this bug.

Oh dang that's pretty big

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I have 12 colonies and 5 worlds in sectors and I got 3 traditions from getting the patch. It's big!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A bit late to food chat, but i really don't get the issue? My neighbours always help me out when the hive hungers and they have tons of food!

:v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Taear posted:

Look I know how it works, I know what 100% does! But the enemy is at 100% and has been for years and it's only going to end when both sides hit 100%.
So it's going to stay like this until I decide to join in, which feels totally pointless because I can't really work out what the point of this war is. There are no stations. They're just not moving.
See: here and the enemy fleets have scores of less than 1000, my allies are at 10,000!

I really don't enjoy the new war system, I think the old one was much more reasonable. I'm entirely down with geography of space and point taking and etc but I prefer a set score like it was before and like every other paradox game instead of exhaustion. If they show 100% they should just surrender thanks.

But the enemy will give up at 100%? You just have to click the status quo button?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Shugojin posted:

To say the least.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is there a mod out there that fixes the weird cursor behavior in the Biography section during species creation? It's maddening.

I don't think so, but you can paste into that text box so you could write your description up in a text editor or something.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pirates are still loving stupid. It reminds me of rebels in eu4 back when it was a %to rise up rather than a progress bar you could do something with.

Like taking a system and then within a month the very next system is now filled with pirates? Especially when my construction ship is literally on the way to build an outpost there to begin with? They aren’t fun to whack a mole, and can strike frequently if the rng rolls bad.

I’d be satisfied with a slider on startup for frequency of pirates until they’re turned into something interesting, because right now they’re loving stupid and frustrating.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How much will we have to pay to get a random species description generator? A markov or madlibs bot would be great.

Otherwise I'll just have to copypaste from here http://www.scifiideas.com/alien-species-generator/

Species: Myoi
Home-World: Teludisia
Description: A race of quick-witted humanoid aliens who have three stomachs. Their government routinely assassinates members of society that are deemed to be dangerous to the safety of others. It is seen as their responsibility to do so.

Species: Araerans
Home-World: Graz VII
Description: A race of three-fingered humanoids with thermal vision. If they get too hot, they have been known to explode.

Species: Ubheans
Home-World: Jurgir
Description: A race of humanoid aliens who have weak muscles and ridges on their heads. They prefer not to leave their home-world and use holographic representations of themselves to explore the galaxy instead. They believe everything in the universe is literally alive. They also believe that everything in the universe is trying to kill them. This grim outlook on life has led them to become very suspicious but also very resilient. It may also explain why they have no sense of humour.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy moly that drops it down to like a quarter of the cost per ambition when I have all the traditions done

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Taear posted:

Look I know how it works, I know what 100% does! But the enemy is at 100% and has been for years and it's only going to end when both sides hit 100%.
So it's going to stay like this until I decide to join in, which feels totally pointless because I can't really work out what the point of this war is. There are no stations. They're just not moving.
See: here and the enemy fleets have scores of less than 1000, my allies are at 10,000!

I really don't enjoy the new war system, I think the old one was much more reasonable. I'm entirely down with geography of space and point taking and etc but I prefer a set score like it was before and like every other paradox game instead of exhaustion. If they show 100% they should just surrender thanks.

When you have a war with claims, there is still a war score of sorts. It's easily possible to reach 100% exhaustion on your opponents but not have them willing to surrender because you haven't taken enough claims.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it normal to fail every single Anomaly research when it says the risk is 5%? Because I have waited till the fail chance was down to 5% before I research them, and have failed at six straight...

edit: now 7....

edit2: failures 8 and 9 have now happened. Everyone one had a 5% failure chance... I have not succeeded at researching one anomaly yet...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 2, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

But the enemy will give up at 100%? You just have to click the status quo button?

I'm not the war leader, the post was about my AI allies doing it. They can't win the war, it just doesn't go anywhere.

quote:

When you have a war with claims, there is still a war score of sorts. It's easily possible to reach 100% exhaustion on your opponents but not have them willing to surrender because you haven't taken enough claims.
I know - but the other way was so much clearer.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2018

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I would like pirates more if they spawned 500 strength fleets instead of 2k. It's not like they need large fleets to take out mining stations and construction ships, and I don't really want to maintain 5 3k strength police fleets across my empire to deal with them quickly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is it normal to fail every single Anomaly research when it says the risk is 5%? Because I have waited till the fail chance was down to 5% before I research them, and have failed at six straight...

edit: now 7....

edit2: failures 8 and 9 have now happened. Everyone one had a 5% failure chance... I have not succeeded at researching one anomaly yet...

On the flipside, I've researched what must have been at least 40 anomalies, all at 5-10%, and only failed two.

It is an RNG.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I kind of like the energy change, since in vanilla 2.0, I always find myself with giant energy reserves and rarely going into the negative. Might just be my play style, though.

Props to Wiz and team for making this an open Beta, since that is sweet and I don't mind being on the bleeding edge of this game.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I had almost zero then went to -17 thanks to the changes. Rolling back to 1.9 and boy am i mad.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
For anyone else having Enigmatic Fortress bug problems, seems someone put up a mod on the workshop to fix it. Requires 2.0.2. Haven't tried it myself yet, will report back once I get the chance:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317456532

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Liking the change to the standardizing tech. Skipped all of them before because who cares about build speed? I never have enough minerals that that becomes a factor. But hey, cheaper ships? I'll take it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Liking the change to the standardizing tech. Skipped all of them before because who cares about build speed? I never have enough minerals that that becomes a factor. But hey, cheaper ships? I'll take it.
Yeah saw that in my current playthrough and immediately grabbed it when I saw the extra line.

Does anyone else think it's a little harsh that deploying an outpost non-adjacent to your empire costs as much influence as doing it one by one would? Half I'd be fine with, but since I'm going to backfill eventually anyway explicitly double paying seems a little over the top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am enjoying the reptillian name list that is basically nothing but onomatapoetic spaceship and gun noises.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Also someone mentioned it in this thread and I was like whoa, but you can put up to 3 defensive stations on lovely outposts. Pretty cool during a war to prevent them being retaken quite as easily, or as a bit of extra oomph for a roaming defensive fleet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really love that edicts are empire wide now. I barely ever used them and now they're mega important.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TGLT posted:

I don't think so, but you can paste into that text box so you could write your description up in a text editor or something.

This would be a passable solution. Unfortunately the game appears to grab a clipboard item that I copied hours ago and no amount of copying other text snippets changes it. :negative:

edit: scratch that, I'm streaming the game to my laptop and it's grabbing text from my desktop's clipboard, so that makes some sense at least

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 2, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Whats the "Total War (Colossus)" wargoal? It was made available when i unlocked the colossus.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Taear posted:

I really love that edicts are empire wide now. I barely ever used them and now they're mega important.

Yeah I've taken Cutthroat Politics every time you get the +1 civic for that reason.

edit:

Some good bordergore happening on the other side of the galaxy.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 2, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Whats the "Total War (Colossus)" wargoal? It was made available when i unlocked the colossus.
I think it's a fanatic purifier style war where you get to keep what you conquer as you conquer. I think the idea is that since your words are backed by nuclear Colossal weapons you can wage a much more serious war.

In practice it seems to be the real point of the colossus perk. The colossi themselves aren't super useful, even if they're fun, but their introduction marks the start of endgame wars to the death. In theory.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Trying to decide how to expand on my empire list, there's quite a few government types that are so close together they might as well be duplicates. Hmm...

I gotta add 11 more, to bring it to 36, in case I want to do some insane run of a huge galaxy with 30 ai empires and 5 fallen empires.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
People were talking about World Shaper in this thread a few days ago and I have to agree that it's pretty lackluster. The high cost and time requirements obviously don't help, but what really gets me is the fact that the planet is either uncolonizable or hit with a happiness (and by extrension, resource output) penalty the whole way through. The opportunity cost alone would take decades to break even.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Just started a new game, and I have a size 25 Gaia World next door and a Gateway on the other side.

GOTY.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I wish you didn't need a shipyard to upgrade your fleets. I wanna upgrade my fleets close to the fight, but i want my ships to be shat out from my multiple system giant shipyards with experience boosters and gateways to instantly warp across the galaxy. If i have shipyards close to the front they are gonna try to build all the ships there with like 1 shipyard and no xp boosts.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I really like the fact that you now need to base multiple fleets around your empire once you start to get big. Much better than the old doomstack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:cripes:

Anyone know what that does?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

-20% claim influence cost

edit: oh, you're a purifier. the below post is probably correct then

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 2, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Assuming they didn't break it, Natural Order is -20% Unrest, according to the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jazerus posted:

it's too easy to blob up and then buy all of the enclave bonuses forever in my experience. starbase trading modules are way more powerful than solar panels ever were, so if you avoid using starbases on border defense, you can really rack up energy

gates do kinda suck with their slider set to 1x, too expensive for what you can expect to get out of them. 2x or 2.5x gates makes the entire galaxy have gates - most empires will have at least one - but doesn't put them literally everywhere, so it creates a really mass effect-esque feeling of most areas being linked together, but with backwater areas that have to be slowboated to as well.

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets. Now I know someone's going to say, "Well yeah, it's a tradeoff" but no, no it's not. because the amount of other poo poo you can get for the price of that single gateway connection is enough to just take whatever wormhole your neighbor has if you weren't lucky enough to get one.

I mean I might be biased because I control both sides of a wormhole from NE to SW in my galaxy, and I have like 4 giant allies in a big federation who have other wormholes elsewhere I can use, but I honestly just don't know when I'd be in a position where I'm so far ahead of the rest of the galaxy that I could afford to throw away tens of thousands of minerals and energy on setting up a travel network.