Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
RBS 70 Bolides are super good for our purposes. They go out to 8nm and can shoot as high as 16000ft. It's a 2006 system though.

The problem though is that pretty much every modern MANPAD comes with an IR tracking system, of the same cmano mechanics problem as we had with those Verbas. If we have planes in the air it's not an issue though, it becomes one if we're expected to be blind for any amount of time.

RBS 70 Mk2 are 5nm and I would start to consider competitor systems at that point. However, most systems are only 3nm so they do have a fair advantage there. The other nice thing about the RBS 70 is they're made in the same country as one of our primary suppliers!

Igla (SA-16 and SA-18) are about equivalent to every other system here. SA-24 are the same but have the IR tracker, still 3nm and 50% PK though.
Starstreak (the 1999 one) is a bit of weird one, 3nm missiles but a bigger 75% PK. And an IR tracker.
Mistral I and Mistral II are both 3nm, no IR tracker, their one advantage is a slightly higher max altitude (16000ft) over the normal 12000-13000 for most systems.
We can probably get Stinger Cs, they are 3nm, no IR tracker, 60% PK, 16000ft ceiling. The Es only improve the PK. Ds don't have a mount in CMANO.

Just to put in perspective, in CMANO the latest Strela-2M are 45% PK, 10000ft ceiling, 3nm. That means they can do a lot of the same jobs other 3nm systems will do.

Overall I would agree that RBS 70 is the ideal system, as modern as we can. However, if we can't get them, then any old system will do fine. The question of whether a system with an IR tracker will be okay or not seems to depend on if we're going to have planes in the air anyway, otherwise it may have to be disabled somehow or those systems disallowed.

The ooda loop is the big limit on MANPADs, if we have to rely on the mk1 eyeball spotting them from the ground testing seems to show that they get one shot off at most before a plane finishes overflying, and that's if they're overflown at dead center. If we put them in valleys we're best off having several in a row or adding spotter units in front of them, if we want to use them at the perimeter of our base we definitely want those planes spotted by some other means.

EDIT: I have to say, Yooper, with all this equipment coming in you've missed the opportunity to have a resupply mission as a (relative) calm before the storm thing.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

don't let them in

Like I've said before, civvies are a major security risk.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Magni posted:

That post+username combo is just perfect. :allears:

That’s what I’m here for.

Also, if we let them in, we could (potentially) endear them to us to the point where some of them want to sign on as permanent personnel (eg doctors, mechanics, bean-counters, perhaps non-combat certified transportation pilots, etc), as well as a friendly base if ever we’re in this neck of the woods again.

Hell, they might be able to steal poo poo (weapons and planes) for us.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

HereticMIND posted:

if ever we’re in this neck of the woods again.

This is our permanent home and we will deploy from here around the world as required but still be based here, afaik from previous stuff.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

orcbuster posted:

don't let them in

Like I've said before, civvies are a major security risk.

Ya know what's a greater security risk, a bunch of rioting villagers.

An even greater risk? The villagers all being pissed off at us for getting their poo poo bombed and not helping, and they'll be living with us forever. We can't get rid of them.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just finished marathoning the thread, what an awesome LP!

Yooper please could I be added to the pilot list, preferably in some kind of attack or multirole plane. Callsign: DADDY

Regarding our villagers, given that they have been welcoming hosts we should do the same for them. Let them in! I mean, whats the worst that could happen letting 100s of unvetted people into our big shiny mountain lair where all our planes are kept?

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger
A plane damaged because of kids running on the wings can be repaired. It is much harder to repair the trust with the locals after they have to dig out the charred corpses of friends and neighbors from the rubble because we locked the gates on them in their time of need.
Their village would never be attacked had we not taken up residence in their air base so the least we can do is to keep them safe from air attacks we provoked.

Let them in

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Mr Crustacean posted:

Ya know what's a greater security risk, a bunch of rioting villagers.

An even greater risk? The villagers all being pissed off at us for getting their poo poo bombed and not helping, and they'll be living with us forever. We can't get rid of them.

Might as well plant a sign near the entrance with "all spies welcome and allowed full access of the base"

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

By this point we probably know all the locals to filter out any other random people who want in, anyway.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

Might as well plant a sign near the entrance with "all spies welcome and allowed full access of the base"

We're not talking about letting everyone wander around the base willy-nilly, we're talking about sheltering the locals in our supervillain bunker lair when poo poo is going down, presumably with the area we let them shelter in under guard. Hell, our smaller runway goes straight through the drat village anyway. Unless we go full-tilt ethnic cleansing and wipe out the whole town (and royally piss off the albanian public and government at large by doing so), having them "on-base" is an inevitability. The only real choice we have then is wether we want them on our side or on the side of anyone who'd try to gently caress with us.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Magni posted:

We're not talking about letting everyone wander around the base willy-nilly, we're talking about sheltering the locals in our supervillain bunker lair when poo poo is going down, presumably with the area we let them shelter in under guard. Hell, our smaller runway goes straight through the drat village anyway. Unless we go full-tilt ethnic cleansing and wipe out the whole town (and royally piss off the albanian public and government at large by doing so), having them "on-base" is an inevitability. The only real choice we have then is wether we want them on our side or on the side of anyone who'd try to gently caress with us.

So in case an attack happens, do we just let them all in? Do we even know all of the Gjaderites by face? And what about cousin Viktor, who came to visit the family? Can he come in when the bombs are dropping?

And why are you suggesting ethnic cleansing? Do you have some repressed desires?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Dance Officer posted:

So in case an attack happens, do we just let them all in? Do we even know all of the Gjaderites by face? And what about cousin Viktor, who came to visit the family? Can he come in when the bombs are dropping?

And why are you suggesting ethnic cleansing? Do you have some repressed desires?

It is simple we will have our ground forces on guard during any attack, any one who runs into the base will head for the air raid shelter/bunker and anyone who doesn't run for said bunker is given a warning before being shot. A spy isn't going to learn much anyway if the base is being bombed or attacked as they would be swiftly caught by the ground troops.

The only hindrance to us is the delay in launch times.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

You know I think we are all overlooking something very important here. We are so worried about what the locals could do to us when we have perfectly good crowd control equipment on hand. I mean, what else are we using those ZSU-23-4s for?

Obviously no, lets not do that

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

Yes. With a detachment of our guard force keeping watch over them. Duh. And hey, guess what? Having them on our side and indebted to us is going to help with that quite a lot.

quote:

So, how do you fail this hard at reading? I'm specifically saying that your entire bitchfest about Gjaderites on the base is completely loving meaningless because that's gonna be a reality we will have to accept anyway (owing to the town being literally right outside the bunker entrance, and one of our runways also being a street going straight through it) unless we go full loving ethnic cleansing and try to evict the entire town. Which for both moral and practical concerns (and as I already stated in the very text you quoted) I do not consider to be a viable option.

So, the only question is this: Delayed launch times and a small increase in espionage/sabotage risk from letting them in during an attack, or risk of a full-blown riot during an attack and accept a permanent major increase in espionage/sabotage risk from pissing them off by not letting them in. Pick your poison.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 1, 2018

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Please don't start a fight over potential, imaginary warcrimes. We've had enough of that already :v:

I agree that gaining the locals' trust now will be better in the long run. Why would they turn on the nice people who gave them shelter and more importantly keep all of their bars and restaurants in business?
Bac has a good point about killing the threats before they get close enough to hit us but I don't think that it's possible to completely prevent civilian casualties that way. (Besides, who'll staff our supervillain lair if the locals are all dead?)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol at the idea that our entire company isn't already riddled with national and corporate spies. No our enemies need to sneak some random in during a time when everyone is on high alert and distrustful of strangers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Besides, letting them in incentivizes them to keep an eye out for saboteurs since their safety is now tied to that of our mountain supervillain lair.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
I suppose the third option would be to let them in right now. Today. With appropriate screening and chucking out any spies or 'Cousin Viktor... and his 30 odd dependents' (If he's just visiting then he can go home now, it's dangerous for him here. We'll buy his bus ticket!). Get everyone in and squared away as best we can within the bunker and then we don't have a contraflow rush while we're trying to scramble without cooking anyone with jet exhaust. If we're going to let them in anyway then we might as well let them in in the most convenient way possible.

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

FrangibleCover posted:

I suppose the third option would be to let them in right now. Today. With appropriate screening and chucking out any spies or 'Cousin Viktor... and his 30 odd dependents' (If he's just visiting then he can go home now, it's dangerous for him here. We'll buy his bus ticket!). Get everyone in and squared away as best we can within the bunker and then we don't have a contraflow rush while we're trying to scramble without cooking anyone with jet exhaust. If we're going to let them in anyway then we might as well let them in in the most convenient way possible.

That poses more of a security risk; improvisational sabotage is less likely to be effective vs. planned sabotage. I’m all for letting them in but I’d rather they were fairly in the dark about how we do things.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Tbh what Im worried about more than some intentional sabotage is that the Albanian yokels get into a big drunken brawl, or decide to roast a goat with a jet engine, or otherwise entertain themselves in some highly expensive and destructive manner.

This is the yooperverse after all, and no good deed should go unpunished!

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Dance Officer posted:

roast a goat with a jet engine, or otherwise entertain themselves in some highly expensive and destructive manner.
You misspelled :krad:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dance Officer posted:

Tbh what Im worried about more than some intentional sabotage is that the Albanian yokels get into a big drunken brawl, or decide to roast a goat with a jet engine, or otherwise entertain themselves in some highly expensive and destructive manner.

Hey man, we survived Cobbie's ex-wife. We'll be fine.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

This sounds like an excellent argument to let them in.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Why are we worried about spies? We're not friggin' Goonfleet or something. Nothing we do is subtle. We roll up our clown car blasting circus music and unload long range missiles and guided bombs until everyone else is dead.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

EDIT: I have been informed that Goonfleet is an EVE Online reference. Nothing to see here, people.

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 2, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I mean, yes, but... we're actually pretty pro considering some of the ops we pull off. That said, not subtle at all, very true.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dance Officer posted:

a big drunken brawl, or decide to roast a goat with a jet engine, or otherwise entertain themselves in some highly expensive and destructive manner.

Mama Tishlin's 80th birthday party was off the hook and you are only sore cause you missed out

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Subtle Tea is a drink we make from the blood of our enemies, and sweeten with their apoplectic media coverage. That's how it works, right?

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Why are we worried about spies? We're not friggin' Goonfleet or something. Nothing we do is subtle. We roll up our clown car blasting circus music and unload long range missiles and guided bombs until everyone else is dead.

Probably while streaming live via future twitch. Opsec isn’t really our jam.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

pinchofginger posted:

Probably while streaming live via future twitch. Opsec isn’t really our jam.

"Håyard-Günnes LLMC - Now streaming live at Twitch.tv.mil!"

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Realbarrow posted:

"Håyard-Günnes LLMC - Now streaming live at Twitch.tv.mil!"

Sponsored by SAAB and MBDA. Subscribe for exclusive content such as Albaninan jet engine BBQ, no ads and behind the scenes interviews.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PenguinSalsa posted:

Sponsored by SAAB and MBDA. Subscribe for exclusive content such as Albaninan jet engine BBQ, no ads and behind the scenes interviews.

I'd watch it.

Actually, in a meta sort of way, don't we all watch this already?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

CourValant posted:

I'd watch it.

Actually, in a meta sort of way, don't we all watch this already?

You thought those displays behind Yooper were just a green screen, didn't you? (Let's not mention the sabotage by the Dictator's spy dog during that one stream.)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dr. Snark posted:

You thought those displays behind Yooper were just a green screen, didn't you? (Let's not mention the sabotage by the Dictator's spy dog during that one stream.)

:thunk:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

HEY guyyyyys welcome to my STRIKE OOOOOPPPP today we're going to be taking on some GNARLY BOMB RUNS over ALBANIA

Looks like the sub-focused version of the game came out yesterday if that's your jam. Personally I'm in it for the airplanes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

CMANO but the whole thing is ASW
why. who would want this.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

why. who would want this.

I mean sometimes you're actually controlling the subs so it's not ALL ASW.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

HEY guyyyyys welcome to my STRIKE OOOOOPPPP today we're going to be taking on some GNARLY BOMB RUNS over ALBANIA

And if you enjoyed how those incendiaries lit up them unprotected civilians and livestock, don't forget to hit that like and subscribe button! Its the only way we'll know to give you MOAR of that sweet, sweet warcrimes!!

Until next time, for more of that phosphorus burning goodness, keep it locked here with Hired Goons!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
can't believe youtube demonetized us just for firing on UN aid convoys one time

we apologized and everything!