Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

they have an updated digital edition for ps4. "improved" gfx etc but still 4:3

More importantly, L3 is a fast forward button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

they have an updated digital edition for ps4. "improved" gfx etc but still 4:3

Yeah but as far as I can tell that is actually the original PS1 game they're selling there. Everything else is labeled either [digital] or [steam] or [pc download], but that one's straight up [PS]

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

WatermelonGun posted:

Are there any good jrpgs for the ps4 other than the ff12 remaster and nier? Playing through the zodiac age has awoken a sleeping anime beast within me.

This may come as a shock to the thread at large, but FF XV actually owns balls.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

man nurse posted:

This may come as a shock to the thread at large, but FF XV actually owns balls.

It would be, if not for the fact that the combat sucks hot donkey rear end

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

bloom posted:

Yeah but as far as I can tell that is actually the original PS1 game they're selling there. Everything else is labeled either [digital] or [steam] or [pc download], but that one's straight up [PS]

this is the same as the PC release more or less, which is a remake vs the PS3 one which is just a port of the PS1 version. you cannot play the original on the PS4 unless you do it via PS Now or something.

here's the link to the game you think you're talking about https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUJ01251_00-0000000000000001

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I tried to play XV but my girlfriend kept making fun of me for playing the gay boy band game. It didn't help that it wasn't very good or interesting to begin with.

They really need to give VIII the remaster treatment and patch the fast forward cheat into X.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

this is the same as the PC release more or less, which is a remake vs the PS3 one which is just a port of the PS1 version. you cannot play the original on the PS4 unless you do it via PS Now or something.

here's the link to the game you think you're talking about https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUJ01251_00-0000000000000001

That's kinda disappointing. I was hoping they really had giant piles of decaying FF9 cds just laying around.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

bloom posted:

Is that the actual PS1 game on actual cds? Did IX sell super bad and they got stuck with warehouses full of copies or something?

yes

it literally is

if you order that, you will get a copy of final fantasy 9 for playstation delivered to your house in a box.

the discs are silver bottomed though cause sony stopped providing the black ones or something

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

bloom posted:

That's kinda disappointing. I was hoping they really had giant piles of decaying FF9 cds just laying around.
They literally do have piles of ps1 games available for purchase, you were right. No clue why exactly they're still sitting on a mountain of new old stock ps1 stuff but iirc you can still get brand new pristine copies of Chrono Cross and a few other square games of the era this way.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the discs are silver bottomed though cause sony stopped providing the black ones or something
This is kind of a shame though, those black ps1 cds and dark blue PS2 cds were so cool

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Big Word posted:

They literally do have piles of ps1 games available for purchase, you were right. No clue why exactly they're still sitting on a mountain of new old stock ps1 stuff but iirc you can still get brand new pristine copies of Chrono Cross and a few other square games of the era this way.

After E.T. happened, consigning unsold stock to a landfill was looked down upon. Cheaper and easier to shove it into a warehouse and ship a few off whenever some of them sold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Big Word posted:

That's how I got my current copy of CC after losing my old one in a move.

ty Square

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

The Big Word posted:

This is kind of a shame though, those black ps1 cds and dark blue PS2 cds were so cool

were they

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

They were, Nefarious 2.0.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

bitmap posted:

add in meltdown, the 0 def spell which worked on every single enemy and baby, you've got yourself a stew going

You can just use Doomtrain instead to slam Vit 0 and every other possible status effect on any enemy/boss.

Anyway you pretty much just kill every boss in FF8 by summoning Cerberus and Doomtrain, triple Auraing Squall, Zell and Rinoa/Irvine then just spamming their limits. I haven't got to try orbital drop Rinoa yet though but I heard it's the good poo poo. Also anyone who complains that FF8 is nothing but drawing from enemies needs their head examined, you actually spend most of the early game playing cards.

Also does FF9 have the sound bugs that FF7 on PS4 had where they changed how the music worked. So the field track would reset after every battle (this is REALLY COOL if you run the game at turbo speed) and some of the cutscenes are completely hosed because the game can't do "silence"?

Chucat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 25, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I mean, they could just be burning new cds to order, couldn't they?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

yes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

that's kind of funny because back in the day silver ps1 discs were pirated discs pressed in shady chinese factories

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The_Franz posted:

that's kind of funny because back in the day silver ps1 discs were pirated discs pressed in shady chinese factories

Times sure have changed.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, they have a bunch of FFIX discs. It didn't sell as well as the other PS1 Final Fantasies for a few reasons, but I think coming out so late in the PS1s lifespan had something to do with it.

The PS2 was the new hotness when FFIX came out, and FFX came out a year later.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 25, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

All the Final Fantasy games past 7 I would be embarrassed if a normal person walked in and saw me playing it so

(Tactics is the best 9 is good and 10 is underrated)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pneub posted:

More importantly, L3 is a fast forward button.

Are you making GBS threads me I've been pausing and pressing R1 can you really turn it off and on that easily

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

precision posted:

Are you making GBS threads me I've been pausing and pressing R1 can you really turn it off and on that easily

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mario RPG is the best thing Square has and will ever produce

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

square penix keep pushing out those turd cubes thx

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I loved the poo poo out of Chrono Chross. I didn't have a SNES so I never played Chrono Trigger. I went in completely blind and I remember loving the music and atmosphere.

I haven't played it since I was in middle school, but sometimes I listen to the soundtrack.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chrono Cross is the best.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Elderbean posted:

I loved the poo poo out of Chrono Chross. I didn't have a SNES so I never played Chrono Trigger. I went in completely blind and I remember loving the music and atmosphere.

I haven't played it since I was in middle school, but sometimes I listen to the soundtrack.

Agreed. I was 10 when it came out and still loving how many characters Suikoden 2 had, saw the bradygames guide and all the characters. So I picked it up and I enjoyed it then and now! The music is so loving good

esperterra posted:

Chrono Cross is the best.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Final Fantasy 7 was my first RPG. I remember watching my friend play it one day and I had no idea that RPGs had stories. It changed everything. I finally got to enjoy terrible video game writing for much longer periods of time!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh what up, the FF 15 pc demo is out, and it runs awesomely well on my old rear end 780.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kazr posted:

Mario RPG is the best thing Square has and will ever produce

its true. being forced not to use angsty anime characters in their game brought out the best in square. there is not a leather strap or excessive belt buckle in that game to be seen, just good honest fun. Geno is kind of a typical square protagonist, but hes alright.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I really, really like Radical Dreamers, and I probably like it more than CT and CC, actually

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Radical Dreamers is so fuckin' good.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I thought radical dreamers was just a song/group from Chrono Cross until I just googled it :aaaaa:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

great big cardboard tube posted:

I thought radical dreamers was just a song/group from Chrono Cross until I just googled it :aaaaa:

That's Magical Dreamers. Radical Dreamers is a name used in CC, tho, to refer to Kid's thievery.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zorodius posted:

"Bravely Default, known in Japan as Bravely Default: Flying Fairy,"

oh, that's much better

why is there a loli on the box?

nevermind, I know why there's a loli on the box.

The japanese subtitle, and western subtitle "As The Fairy Flies" do these cool things when you reach a point in the game when a fairy character named Airy that's accompanied you for the entire game and is supposedly guiding you, is slowly revealed to actually be manipulating you and is the last boss's right hand monster, and so the subtitle on the title screen changes when your characters start figuring it out to LYING FAIRY and AIRY LIES, respectively

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I wish I could get excited about video games again

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
or anything really

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Smoke more weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen