Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
nm, not sniping with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Literally no one cares more about Chrome OS more than fishmech, apparently.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

fishmech posted:

It's pretty rude of you to say all those fine people defending Chrome Os don't care about it.

You sometimes post interesting things, and even now and again have an opinion that isn’t terrible, but you just screech autistically into the void all the time and it’s getting really tiresome.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noggin Monkey posted:

You sometimes post interesting things, and even now and again have an opinion that isn’t terrible, but you just screech autistically into the void all the time and it’s getting really tiresome.

So you think everyone saying they liked Chrome OS was pretending, or what? If you're going to make claims, be willing to at least discuss them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
sealionmech

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
2018: the year of Linux on the desktop

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

On one hand ,chromeOS is pretty good,on the other chrome is a poo poo browser,on the third hand though my abacus never runs out of batery so maybe all phones should run on that?!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Chrome OS is literally just Chrome.

That is not how computers work. At all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is not how computers work. At all

You already proved you don't know how computers work long ago. Chrome OS is just running Chrome - that's it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

guys i dont think fishmech has even ever used chromeos

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought you were all talking about Chromeo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought you were all talking about Chromeo.

Oh Chromeo, Chromeo, wherefore art thou Chromeo? Deny thy browser or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love. And I'll no longer be a Linux!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

guys i dont think fishmech has even ever used chromeos

I've used it plenty, including being among the first wave of testers of the Cr-48.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Chrome OS is just running Chrome - that's it.

literally not how a computer works.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

You already proved you don't know how computers work long ago. Chrome OS is just running Chrome - that's it.

Just go ahead and post the wiki page

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

literally not how a computer works.

Big words from someone who was trying to claim Chrome OS and Android were both "Gentoo Linux" yesterday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Just go ahead and post the wiki page

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/boot-design

Technically it’s running more than chrome but it’s what you get if you give an embedded engineer the task of “build the minimal Linux system to run chrome”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Big words from someone who was trying to claim Chrome OS and Android were both "Gentoo Linux" yesterday.

It literally is. Or rather, it literally was gentoo until google branched it and made it their own thing. Like how chrome doesn't actually run webkit even though everyone says 'webkit" because blink is just google's version of webkit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It literally is. Or rather, it literally was gentoo until google branched it and made it their own thing. Like how chrome doesn't actually run webkit even though everyone says 'webkit" because blink is just google's version of webkit.

No, Android was never Gentoo, and Chrome OS only used Gentoo-specific kernels and a bit of the Gentoo-specific userland up til 2013. And the current kernel stuff doesn't branch through Gentoo, it is its own entirely separate branch off the mainstream Linux kernel.

Please stop embarrassing yourself, you clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

Please stop embarrassing yourself, you clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

:ironicat:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Go on and tell the class how Android is secretly a Gentoo branch now, if you would. :allears:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

Go on and tell the class how Android is secretly a Gentoo branch now, if you would. :allears:

It couldn't matter less

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, gentoo is well known for using upstart. :confused:

Also,
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/chromium-os-kernel

quote:

Background

Chromium OS uses the Linux Kernel. Historically we stayed on a 2.6.32 Ubuntu-based for the first several releases, but have since then moved on to track the upstream mainline kernel directly, applying our changes for the features and stability we need on top of it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

So you think everyone saying they liked Chrome OS was pretending, or what? If you're going to make claims, be willing to at least discuss them.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When you make really loving strong statement about ethics in operating system development or some similarly stupid poo poo, we're going to call you a stupid poo poo regardless of whether spending a few bucks on :chome: instead of :chome:OS is important.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

suck my woke dick posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When you make really loving strong statement about ethics in operating system development or some similarly stupid poo poo, we're going to call you a stupid poo poo regardless of whether spending a few bucks on :chome: instead of :chome:OS is important.

It's not a strong statement, it's just the facts that Chrome OS is pointless and should be ended, replaced by Android with proper full Chrome support. Just like it's the fact that Uber needs to be destroyed and Soylent has poison in it and people shouldn't be drinking it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's not a strong statement, it's just the facts that Chrome OS is pointless and should be ended, replaced by Android with proper full Chrome support. Just like it's the fact that Uber needs to be destroyed and Soylent has poison in it and people shouldn't be drinking it.

Well one of these things is not like the others.

e: and nobody cares if google could spend a few million less on developer hours for chomeOS if they really wanted to, it's pretty irrelevant in the first place. Even if you really really care about ethics in operating system development financing you're making the classic econ101 mistake of thinking a huge budget works like your credit card, whereas google's budget is so humongous (while at the same time the company isn't exactly making uber-style losses) that the limiting factor in reassigning some moderately well-paid code monkeys is "why should we care" not "but consider the minor cost savings".

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 4, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

The “normal” Linux chrome build relies on X (see the chromium startup) so an android port would be very different anyways, ie like the current one.

Not that you can’t run x on your phone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

suck my woke dick posted:

Well one of these things is not like the others.

e: and nobody cares if google could spend a few million less on developer hours for chomeOS if they really wanted to, it's pretty irrelevant in the first place. Even if you really really care about ethics in operating system development financing you're making the classic econ101 mistake of thinking a huge budget works like your credit card, whereas google's budget is so humongous (while at the same time the company isn't exactly making uber-style losses) that the limiting factor in reassigning some moderately well-paid code monkeys is "why should we care" not "but consider the minor cost savings".

Dude, there's no mistake about it. Chrome OS should have been abandoned long ago and the effort put into Android on form factors Chrome OS runs on now. It's not like this is some bizarre impractical concept, there's been several user projects like RemixOS that on their own make very workable laptop/desktop/settop box form factor Android systems without explicit Google support behind it.

And again, since the only thing Chrome OS does is run Chrome, there's no real reason it should still exist when we're talking with a company who already has an entire separate operating system that's also more powerful and more popular.

hobbesmaster posted:

The “normal” Linux chrome build relies on X (see the chromium startup) so an android port would be very different anyways, ie like the current one.

Not that you can’t run x on your phone

To put it bluntly, Chrome already can't rely on X on Windows, and that hasn't exactly stopped them. Additionally Mozilla's been able to adapt Firefox for Android from being very much a third class citizen for extension/feature support into being almost entirely on par with the desktop versions, especially post-57 refactor of the browser.

Things would take time to actually execute on, but again, they should have been getting done a while ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The OSX port doesn’t rely on X either but there’s a similar desktop environment providing those services.

Suffice to say - the mobile version of chrome could support more but google has ported exactly what they want to Dalvik

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pangstrom posted:

and the best gaming console is the PS4.

a bit late, but quite honestly it could be worse :xbone:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Somebody contradicted fish guy on a minor point four pages ago, didn't they?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pangstrom posted:

I would bet a lot of money that that NOPD-Planatir relationship started with a just-maybe-technically-legal kickback or two.

I think the question is, does Palantir have software they can sell to state and federal law enforcement that can analyze cash flow, meeting attendance, and other forms of data to predict kickbacks and bribes?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

Somebody contradicted fish guy on a minor point four pages ago, didn't they?

Ayup!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm really confused why Google won't bring full chrome to Android. I pretty much married myself to the chrome ecosystem but I'm really tired of intrusive ads on my phone. I don't want Firefox because of Google docs and passwords and stuff.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 4, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
if chromeos is literally chrome then is windows 10 literally just edge

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
full chrome, much like full communism, is both undesirable and exceptionally unlikely to ever exist

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

Everyone. It could easily be replaced by Android.

What part of “easy to administer for schools and businesses ” did you not understand?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

What part of “easy to administer for schools and businesses ” did you not understand?

There is absolutely no inherent reason it can't be, especially if many years hadn't been wasted building that for "Chrome OS" instead.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no inherent reason it can't be, especially if many years hadn't been wasted building that for "Chrome OS" instead.

Something with fewer features is easier to lock down if you're trying to prevent your students/employees from using the devices for purposes other than you intend. Sometimes less is more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ditocoaf posted:

Something with fewer features is easier to lock down if you're trying to prevent your students/employees from using the devices for purposes other than you intend. Sometimes less is more.

You can already lock down a phone or a computer or whatever. Next!