Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no inherent reason it can't be, especially if many years hadn't been wasted building that for "Chrome OS" instead.

How is an downloaded app based platform as easy to administer as a web based system?

We even had a school IT Administrator explain this.

At this point you’re doing the Android version of “Argument Clinic.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

You can already lock down a phone or a computer or whatever. Next!

Try updating a curriculum system across 1000+ android tablets.

This is silly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let's get back on topic:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 4, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so what strong opinions do you loving idiots have of window managers

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
any 'all i need is sysv' people in here

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You guys are still arguing with fishmech? Why haven't you just put him on ignore yet?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

How is an downloaded app based platform as easy to administer as a web based system?

We even had a school IT Administrator explain this.

Check this out: set the future Android laptop, to only open the web things! Because it's not like you're doing some sort of BYOD hell setup thing, you're deploying the devices in the first place. Other users will find it useful to do more than just the web browser.

VideoGameVet posted:

Try updating a curriculum system across 1000+ android tablets.

This is silly.

You don't really seem to be grasping this whole "just do it in the browser, since that's what you're doing already" thing.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

boner confessor posted:

you can't fix american cities with self driving cars, as cars themselves are the problem

I think that depends on what version of Gentoo the self driving taxis are running.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

Check this out: set the future Android laptop, to only open the web things! Because it's not like you're doing some sort of BYOD hell setup thing, you're deploying the devices in the first place. Other users will find it useful to do more than just the web browser.

Kids are not stupid and will learn how to undo whatever you've locked up in pretty short order. School districts cannot afford to hire top tier IT help. It works a lot better if they don't have to lock down features because those features don't exist.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Kids are not stupid and will learn how to undo whatever you've locked up in pretty short order. School districts cannot afford to hire top tier IT help. It works a lot better if they don't have to lock down features because those features don't exist.

Ah, so clearly students can run anything they want on Chrome OS already because they can "just undo the restrictions". You seem excessively tech illiterate.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

Ah, so clearly students can run anything they want on Chrome OS already because they can "just undo the restrictions". You seem excessively tech illiterate.

You can't undo the restrictions because there are not those kinds of restrictions. The OS is limited. It is a feature that it is lacking in features. You seem excessively logically illiterate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

You can't undo the restrictions because there are not those kinds of restrictions. The OS is limited. It is a feature that it is lacking in features. You seem excessively logically illiterate.

How exactly are proposing that it's impossible to lock down an Android device but possible to lock down Chrome OS? I'll remind you that nearly all chrome os devices out there can have an entirely different operating system installed on them.

To say nothing of how Chromebooks used in places like educational institutions will have restrictions like no wider internet access besides white listed sites for instance.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

To say nothing of how Chromebooks used in places like educational institutions will have restrictions like no wider internet access besides white listed sites for instance.

As you consider yourself a genuis at all things tech, I'm sure you are aware that access controls are handled at the network level not the device level. Kids are not going to format their Chromebooks and put a new OS on them. They want to exploit little things to bypass restrictions to gently caress around or simply to piss off teachers/staff.

I have used Apple tablets, Android tablets, and Windows laptops in the classroom. We've now been using Chromebooks for over 2 years and they are by far the best suited for an educational environment. They require the least amount of IT oversight and require the least amount of training for teachers and students to use effectively as educational tools. We spend zero time teaching the kids how to use the tech which is important because the more time we spend troubleshooting stupid tech poo poo on a kid by kid basis, the less time we spend using the tech for learning.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

As you consider yourself a genuis at all things tech, I'm sure you are aware that access controls are handled at the network level not the device level. Kids are not going to format their Chromebooks and put a new OS on them. They want to exploit little things to bypass restrictions to gently caress around or simply to piss off teachers/staff.

I have used Apple tablets, Android tablets, and Windows laptops in the classroom. We've now been using Chromebooks for over 2 years and they are by far the best suited for an educational environment. They require the least amount of IT oversight and require the least amount of training for teachers and students to use effectively as educational tools. We spend zero time teaching the kids how to use the tech which is important because the more time we spend troubleshooting stupid tech poo poo on a kid by kid basis, the less time we spend using the tech for learning.

Many Chromebooks for institutional use are intended to be taken off site. As a result you can't just rely on having filtering at the institution.

Also if kids aren't going to format their Chromebook to install another os, surely they're not going to find a way to break through restricted program installation on an Android laptop in order to get whatever apps it is you don't want them to have. Hell, are you not aware that phone carriers regularly sell Android devices with restrictions on what you can end can't unintelligent or otherwise change without complicated methods. Or installing a whole new OS. You're just going to need to accept that your ignorance is no reason for "Chrome OS" to exist.

Also, lol that you think kids "don't need to be taught the tech" for Chrome OS but somehow have to be for iOS or Android or Windows. That's just plain false, no one comes out the womb knowing how to use a specific browser and the entire keyboard/touchpad UI paradigm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At this point I really blame the people arguing with fishmech rather than fishmech himself

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Vegetable posted:

At this point I really blame the people arguing with fishmech rather than fishmech himself

Yeah, I'm done. He wins debates by raw stubbornness and refusal to consider any point of view but his own.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

namaste friends posted:

any 'all i need is sysv' people in here

Yo.

Although I am now a heretic as systemd has slapped me around enough that I'm starting to like it in a stockholm syndrome kinda way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/verge/status/969630586829754368

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...what is a person attacking company shuttles with a BB gun trying to prove? That's not even a very effective method of forcing super-deep-pocketed companies to spend money on shuttle repairs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...what is a person attacking company shuttles with a BB gun trying to prove? That's not even a very effective method of forcing super-deep-pocketed companies to spend money on shuttle repairs.

I'm going to go with "letting off steam".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Fair enough, a quick skim of the article made it seem like a long-standing planned harassment thing but it's probably not.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

I can't believe y'all chose to spend 3 pages continuing to argue about some fishmech bullshit when this was posted, I guess I'm biased because I helped organize it. Labor is rising, even in the godforsaken tech industry--and these people aren't just organizing for themselves, but really realigning and fighting for the whole working class that they have realized they're part of. None of these tech companies can exist without their workers. PM me literally any time about this, or follow the Tech Workers Coalition in whatever way works for you.

Also we got some good rear end shirts

https://twitter.com/techworkersco/status/967246099068076032?s=19

Edit: You also missed the new Uber CEO insulting MIT in the most Trumpian way imaginable.

https://twitter.com/dkhos/status/969805860594581509?s=19

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KintuLabs/status/967863831518236672

Cons make for the easiest marks, apparently.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can a BB gun really bust automotive glass? There were several images of busted out windows that went around, and I'm having a hard time believing it was less than a .22.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

suck my woke dick posted:

Schrödinger's goon.

The Chinese room goon in a well experiment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

apokaladle posted:

I can't believe y'all chose to spend 3 pages continuing to argue about some fishmech bullshit when this was posted, I guess I'm biased because I helped organize it. Labor is rising, even in the godforsaken tech industry--and these people aren't just organizing for themselves, but really realigning and fighting for the whole working class that they have realized they're part of. None of these tech companies can exist without their workers. PM me literally any time about this, or follow the Tech Workers Coalition in whatever way works for you.

Also we got some good rear end shirts

https://twitter.com/techworkersco/status/967246099068076032?s=19

Edit: You also missed the new Uber CEO insulting MIT in the most Trumpian way imaginable.

https://twitter.com/dkhos/status/969805860594581509?s=19

:yeah: it actually is very cool and good that techlords recognise they’re largely modern middle class salarymen rather than temporarily embarrassed captains of industry. And it’s extremely unsurprising the new uber ceo is also a douche.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh hey Fishmech you reminded me to buy that new Chromebook I was thinking about, thanks.

And unionisation is great, the programmer market may not be as tight as it was but you can only establish a union when the employer can't easily replace you, and that still is the case in the valley.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH stop calling cryptocurrencies "crypto"! We already have NUMEROUS things that can be shortened to "crypto" and idiots getting sucked into a money pit aren't making that any better

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Moatman posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH stop calling cryptocurrencies "crypto"! We already have NUMEROUS things that can be shortened to "crypto" and idiots getting sucked into a money pit aren't making that any better

why not "crapto"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moatman posted:

this is like when i found out our government officials actually refer to cyberwarfare as "cyber" when i thought it was just trump being an idiot.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Moatman posted:

but crypto is on the rise !!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Moatman posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/955651919279722496?lang=en

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/6tvu91q.jpg :nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:confuoot:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 6, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NeuralSpark posted:

Can a BB gun really bust automotive glass? There were several images of busted out windows that went around, and I'm having a hard time believing it was less than a .22.

Yes they can. Especially the kind that take co2 cartridges.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Moatman posted:

(first sufficiently disturbing deviantart result for "krypto the superdog")

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 4, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You've got a point, paintballs would be way better praxis

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Full chrommunism now!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Apparently SV can't even manage to keep a few chickens without making it abhorrent:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/03/02/feature/the-silicon-valley-elites-latest-status-symbol-chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Snap thinks people still want their dumb glasses, and will reportedly be shipping Spectacles 2.0 this fall