Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Snowman_McK posted:

Even Muslims...

what?

i've quit responding to you because you are stirring poo poo for argument sake. im waiting for you say something that isn't snark or hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

temple posted:

i've quit responding to you because you are stirring poo poo for argument sake. im waiting for you say something that isn't snark or hyperbole.

Dude, you said 'even muslims have divisions' which is true, but also obvious from even a cursory glance at the history of Islam dating right back to 632AD.

Like, is the idea of Muslims not being a monolithic, homogenous mass controversial in your head? What in history, both recent and less recent, has given this impression?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, I want to rewatch Elysium now. If you poke around, there's a bunch of amazing concept art for it, really worth looking at.

I bet in a few years there's going to be a marvel cinematic universe film where the Fantastic Four assemble to battle Doctor Doom and his fiendish plot to take over the world by providing everyone with universal healthcare. Tragically, that will mean denying one poor American boy a hovering wheelchair. He'll be defeated with the help of a plucky Pharma CEO and the five will open an urgent care clinic in Latveria that has like super stretchy bandaids or something.

E: Disney please hire me I have a million of these and assuredly I hold absolutely no principles

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 4, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

Dude, you said 'even muslims have divisions' which is true, but also obvious from even a cursory glance at the history of Islam dating right back to 632AD.

Like, is the idea of Muslims not being a monolithic, homogenous mass controversial in your head? What in history, both recent and less recent, has given this impression?

Pretty much the mainstream American conservative view of Muslims?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Much as i'd love to see the thread tear itself apart over who is or is not an islamaphobe I thought id throw an interesting perspective on the film to be looked at/savaged by this thread.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quasi-duo-fantasias-straussian-reading-black-panther/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sinding Johansson posted:

I bet in a few years there's going to be a marvel cinematic universe film where the Fantastic Four assemble to battle Doctor Doom and his fiendish plot to take over the world by providing everyone with universal healthcare. Tragically, that will mean denying one poor American boy a hovering wheelchair. He'll be defeated with the help of a plucky Pharma CEO and the five will open an urgent care clinic in Latveria that has like super stretchy bandaids or something.

E: Disney please hire me I have a million of these and assuredly I hold absolutely no principles

"MUHAHAHAHA, I will heal all your poor people for very little/no charge!"

"This guy is diabolical"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Much as i'd love to see the thread tear itself apart over who is or is not an islamaphobe I thought id throw an interesting perspective on the film to be looked at/savaged by this thread.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quasi-duo-fantasias-straussian-reading-black-panther/
zizek is garbage

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

temple posted:

zizek is garbage

Yeah, not a very hot take when it's the same reading that the production team is giving in official statements. (Erik is the hero, T'Challa is the villain, vibranium-spoon, etc)

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Weird that you typed this about a film where a revolutionary black leader is stabbed in the heart. By his cousin. I mean the film starts and ends with the king of Wakanda killing a pretender who thinks more needs to be done to intervene in the world's injustices.

BP wanted to save him. Killmonger choose his death.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Zizek is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

That article is both correct and totally pedestrian. Oh well, a man's got to make a living.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, not a very hot take when it's the same reading that the production team is giving in official statements. (Erik is the hero, T'Challa is the villain, vibranium-spoon, etc)

Clearly his mistake was pointing out that Black Panther is a film that doesn't threaten white people.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 4, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This dumb loving movie is going to be the most politically divisive movies of the year. The Infantilizing of society is real.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Snowman_McK posted:

They invoked the problems themselves, then avoided them for most of the movie. The product of a very real world problem is a villain, and the film is structured in a way that never treats him any different. The possibility of speaking to Erik is never entertained, nor is the possibility of redeeming him. T'Challa's mother tries to silences him.

How would you structure the film to treat Erik differently? The movie ends with a chance to redeem himself, and Erik makes his choice with regards to bondage. T'Challa's mum tries to silence him because she thinks he's an outsider, again speaking to the theme of isolationism.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Yaws posted:

This dumb loving movie is going to be the most politically divisive movies of the year. The Infantilizing of society is real.
It's going to be as "politically divisive" as something like Wonder Woman or The Last Jedi*. Y'all need to stop projecting the microcosm of the internet -- and then specifically this one single subforum -- onto the real world. The amount of people coming away from this film arguing that it should've done more to promote the violent destruction of hegemonic capitalism is going to be completely negligible.

*I haven't checked that thread in a while but I'm 100% loving certain that y'all managed to find a way to argue about politics in there; like don't even play.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

It's going to be as "politically divisive" as something like Wonder Woman or The Last Jedi*. Y'all need to stop projecting the microcosm of the internet -- and then specifically this one single subforum -- onto the real world. The amount of people coming away from this film arguing that it should've done more to promote the violent destruction of hegemonic capitalism is going to be completely negligible.

Yeah, as Zizek points out, basically everyone from liberals to alt-righters likes it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How well-known was Black Panther outside of comics fandom before this movie? I always thought of Black Panther as a C-list hero. He never had a movie or cartoon show, just some guest appearances on the Avengers cartoons. I don't think anyone outside of the fandom knew who he was. He was, I think, on par with Doctor Strange, which is why I expected this movie to make under $700 million.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kurzon posted:

How well-known was Black Panther outside of comics fandom before this movie? I always thought of Black Panther as a C-list hero. He never had a movie or cartoon show, just some guest appearances on the Avengers cartoons. I don't think anyone outside of the fandom knew who he was. He was, I think, on par with Doctor Strange, which is why I expected this movie to make under $700 million.

This exact same argument could be made for Iron Man before 2008.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They made a blockbuster out of Rocket Racoon. Marvel's brand is turning lead into mounds of gold

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kurzon posted:

He had the BET animated show around 2010 that was directly adapted from Hudlin’s run, but hardly anyone remembers that, to be fair.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quasi-duo-fantasias-straussian-reading-black-panther/#!

quote:

The strong ethical impact of Killmonger’s last words immediately ruin the idea that he is a simple villain. What then follows is a scene of extraordinary warmth: the dying Killmonger sits down at the edge of a mountain precipice observing the beautiful Wakanda sunset, and T’Challa, who has just defeated him, silently sits at his side. There is no hatred here, just two basically good men with a different political view sharing their last moments after the battle is over. It’s a scene unimaginable in a standard action movie that culminates in the vicious destruction of the enemy. These final moments alone cast doubt on the film’s obvious reading and solicit us to deeper reflection.

Zizek is a fan y'all

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
from the comments.

quote:

David Graeber's critique of superheroes, in Super Position: Superheroes are never allowed to actually change the world, to improve things, to do things. They just preserve the status quo from threats. The only ones who try to build and change are the villains. In superhero world, wanting to preserve this system is something born out of altruism, ethics, solidarity and so on; while the only reason why anyone would ever try to disrupt the system is due to sociopathy, violence, greed etc. So superhero stories are structurally conservative, more than thematically.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 5, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

people have pointed that out in comics. its makes the villains drive the stories and thus makes them interesting.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

BrianWilly posted:

*I haven't checked that thread in a while but I'm 100% loving certain that y'all managed to find a way to argue about politics in there; like don't even play.

Star Wars has mostly incoherent politics and is a massive cultural phenomena, being beloved by people from all over the political spectrum. It’s an interesting movie series to talk about re: politics so of course it came up.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

i am the bird posted:

Star Wars has mostly incoherent politics and is a massive cultural phenomena, being beloved by people from all over the political spectrum. It’s an interesting movie series to talk about re: politics so of course it came up.

Well the prequels I think retroactively make the original trilogy politically coherent which is why nerdists (ideological nerds) hate them so much

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
One of my favorite tropes (is it a trope?) is where after the good guy beats the bad guy, they both have a powered down heartfelt talk in some lonely, wide-open area, but something about the way Black Panther did it was lame

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of my favorite tropes (is it a trope?) is where after the good guy beats the bad guy, they both have a powered down heartfelt talk in some lonely, wide-open area, but something about the way Black Panther did it was lame

Having the villain kill themselves was a downer that undermined a lot of it for me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I Love Loosies posted:

BP wanted to save him. Killmonger choose his death.

He chose to succumb to a wound BP inflicted on him. An unambiguously mortal wound. The possiblity of saving, redeeming or convincing him was never entertained until after he'd been defeated. He wasn't interested in saving him.

Seedge posted:

How would you structure the film to treat Erik differently? The movie ends with a chance to redeem himself, and Erik makes his choice with regards to bondage. T'Challa's mum tries to silence him because she thinks he's an outsider, again speaking to the theme of isolationism.

Have any attempt to do anything other than stop/kill him before he's stabbed in the heart.

Also, that's a generous reading of the mother's actions. I'm pretty sure she suspects his lineage as much as T'Challa does.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

In this case it smacked of 'now that I have asserted my dominance in a violent fashion, there is no longer hate between us...you know, since I won.' That magnaminity didn't show up in any earlier scene.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Having the villain kill themselves was a downer that undermined a lot of it for me.

The villain allowed himself to succumb to a wound the hero inflicted on him. Don't shift blame.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, as Zizek points out, basically everyone from liberals to alt-righters likes it.

That only leaves 'everyone to the left of American liberals'

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Killmonger was party to a Panther-involved stabbing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I'd say he was well bellow Strange in the comics, since Strange often showed up in Avengers/F4 comics.

Just hit $501 million domestic, $897 million total

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4376&p=.htm

quote:

It was yet another monster weekend for Disney and Marvel's Black Panther as the superhero feature became the third fastest film to ever reach $500 million domestic. Meanwhile, the weekend's new wide releases came up just a bit short of Mojo's pre-weekend forecast with Fox's Red Sparrow taking runner-up position behind Black Panther and MGM's Death Wish landing in third. It's also Oscar Sunday, which means we'll end this recap with a brief look at this some of year's nominees and how they stack up at the box office.

With an estimated $65.7 million, Disney and Marvel Studios's Black Panther topped the weekend box office for the third straight weekend, becoming only the third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to accomplish that feat over its first three weeks in release, the others being Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers. As noted above, the film also topped $500 million domestic, becoming the third fastest film to do so, bringing in $501.1 million in just 17 days, tied with Jurassic World and one day behind Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Black Panther's performance so far has it ranked as the tenth highest grossing domestic release of all-time, third highest grossing comic book adaptation and superhero film and it has now found a spot within the all-time top 50 worldwide. This weekend's performance was also the third largest third weekend of all-time and should the past two weekends be any indication, it could leapfrog Avatar for second largest if actuals come in ~$2.8 million higher than estimates.

Speaking of worldwide, Black Panther added another $56.2 million internationally this weekend, pushing its overseas cume of $396.6 million for a global tally just shy of $900 million. This weekend saw the film open in Japan with an estimated $2.4 million ($4.2M including previews), besting Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok. The UK still leads all international markets with nearly $50 million followed by South Korea ($41.4 million). Black Panther will open in China, its final international market, next weekend.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

got back from my 3rd viewing. a point that gets missed is that t'challa saw killmonger as being a colonist. and t'challa wanted to end things with killmonger but his hand was forced. the rest of the tribes dropped their weapons but killmonger won't. t'challa was sympathetic but killmonger wanted domination then and there. its a tragedy but its warning to revolutionaries that turn on their own to expedite their goals.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

temple posted:

got back from my 3rd viewing. a point that gets missed is that t'challa saw killmonger as being a colonist. and t'challa wanted to end things with killmonger but his hand was forced. the rest of the tribes dropped their weapons but killmonger won't. t'challa was sympathetic but killmonger wanted domination then and there. its a tragedy but its warning to revolutionaries that turn on their own to expedite their goals.

Killmonger keeps fighting down in the tunnel/hanger, the tribes drop their weapons on the surface. Neither saw the other.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

I'm glad to see that people will still only talk about Killmonger so that they can implicitly justify T'Challa being the hero.

The movie doesn't warn, or threaten, the powers that be.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 5, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I'm glad to see that people will still only talk about Killmonger so that they can implicitly justify T'Challa being the hero.

The movie doesn't warn, or threaten, the powers that be.
the film isn't under any obligation to be about what you want
aka why hasn't wakanda solved racism?!

temple fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 5, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

aka why hasn't wakanda solved racism?!

That's easy: Wakanda is a xenophobic state that is developing into a pro-establishment state under T'Challa.

I'm not criticizing the film for what it isn't, but for what it is: a reactionary superhero film in the line of Dark Knight Rises.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That's easy: Wakanda is a xenophobic state that is developing into a pro-establishment state under T'Challa.

I'm not criticizing the film for what it isn't, but for what it is: a reactionary superhero film in the line of Dark Knight Rises.

an cia agent attempted to overthrow a sovereign african state, export their resources, and dominate the world. wakanda is not the enemy here.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Barry Convex posted:

He had the BET animated show around 2010 that was directly adapted from Hudlin’s run, but hardly anyone remembers that, to be fair.

They're gradually adding all of the episodes from that show for free watching online, too.

https://www.bet.com/video/betexclusive/2018/marvel-black-panther-animated/episode-101-black-panther-vs-captain-america.html

EDIT: IIRC Koala's March shared that in TGRS and I bookmarked it to watch later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

temple posted:

an cia agent attempted to overthrow a sovereign african state, export their resources, and dominate the world. wakanda is not the enemy here.

Killmonger taking power was done through Wakanda's own entirely legitimate channels.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The only way to stop a bad guy with CIA clearance is a good guy with CIA clearance.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Pretty sure it's slightly less than legitimate when you commit an act of treason to get the backing of the military which is how he gets in in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

Trying to obscure the plot to the point of arguing that Killmonger is working for the benefit of the CIA is a bit silly.

T'Challa is the one aligned with CIA's agenda of stopping third-world revolutionaries.

• Locked thread