Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Sept 2017

Jan 2018

:iiam:

I mean really what's more likely, that one of the fastest-selling (if not the fastest selling) consoles in recent memory is just not worth developing an app for (unlike the PS3, the PS4, the PS Vita, the XBone, and the Wii U), or there's some boardroom politics bullshit going on between both the companies and it's not as easy as "just slap the app on"

e: The fact that hulu's on there but Netflix and Amazon/Twitch and Youtube aren't screams "this is a Nintendo issue" tbh

If an app has been ready for awhile the reason it's not out is:

A. Nintendo doesn't want Netflix on the Switch.
B. Netflix's app didn't pass cert and they haven't fixed the issue(s) that Nintendo denied them for.
C. There's some head-butting going on between the two companies over revenue or other things that they haven't come to an agreement on yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Hulu's literally the only "application" app

There is also the niconico video streaming app (JP only)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm playing Mutant mudds, is there some way to equip more than one powerup? I keep finding these doors that would only be possible to get to if you had both high jump and super cannon, and have found doors you need high jump to get to but are impossible to progress within unless you have long hover

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RatHat posted:

Holy poo poo Salamandra in Bayonetta is amazing. It does ridiculous damage, good hit-stun, and super simple combos. The only downside is it's pretty short range due to no wicked weaves but that's only really a problem on some boss fights.

Salamandra owns, and zipping around with it on your feet rules. Did you stumble on its special mechanic? If you hold the button while attacking and then release at just the right second you'll get in extra hits with it and it adds up to a bunch of extra damage it's hard to explain but you can get a feel for it by paying attention to the sound effects. I can't find a good guide video but here's a terrible screen recording of someone pulling it off in practice mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBi27ftozy8

edit: here is a much better video. also shows off some cool tricks like how certain attacks have a brief moment of "dodge" built into their startup and you can trigger witch time by using them against enemies with the right timing without actually hitting the dodge button

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 4, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Lobster posted:

How old are you? Are you legally allowed to be online yet due to COPPA? Your regdate is 2011, were you posting from the womb?

Or they’re a PC gamer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does it? If it's so hard why would Hulu be there?

I mean you can get a god drat microtransaction match 3 up there.

Hulu probably paid bigly and nintendo is greedy

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the fighter ability in star allies has the actual quarter circle hadoken input

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Battle Chef Brigade -- how meaty of a game is it? LIke, how long is it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Raserys posted:

the fighter ability in star allies has the actual quarter circle hadoken input

Robobot had that too, it rules.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Lobster posted:

My first controller was an NES controller, because I am an adult.

It being 2018 now means people born in 2000 are technically adults now.

There's the very real possibility that adults today played with a 360 controllers when they were kids. Hell, even if you kick it back a generation that still means most adults probably learned on a PS1 gamepad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DoctorWhat posted:

Robobot had that too, it rules.

It’s been there since Squeak Squad I believe. It’s awesome that a literal Ryu Kirby then became a thing.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm playing Mutant mudds, is there some way to equip more than one powerup? I keep finding these doors that would only be possible to get to if you had both high jump and super cannon, and have found doors you need high jump to get to but are impossible to progress within unless you have long hover

Been a while since I played but you eventually unlock something that allows all power ups at once. Might be post game. I think every level has a door that only needs one thing and a door that needs multiple

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There's the very real possibility that adults today played with a 360 controllers when they were kids. Hell, even if you kick it back a generation that still means most adults probably learned on a PS1 gamepad.

sound like big losers

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kvlt! posted:

Is it like a Monster Hunter type thing where you craft and then go do stuff or literally mostly crafting?

Have you ever played a JRPG where one of the optional party members had some kind of alchemy ability, and you could get some really broken effects by mixing the right things?

In the Atelier games, that person is the protagonist and the alchemy system has a lot of depth and complexity to it.

The rest of your party are standard JRPG characters who attack in the usual JRPG ways, while your main character is tossing bombs that do six different types of damage to the enemy and put five different buffs on your allies, that you spent hours beforehand figuring out how to make so you could break this boss fight over your knee

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The switch is the first console I've owned since the megadrive (which had a very good dpad), and the first console I've really spent any time with besides since the 64/PSX era. I thought I was gonna hate aiming the bow in BOTW until I realised the gyro aiming was there too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

The switch is the first console I've owned since the megadrive (which had a very good dpad), and the first console I've really spent any time with besides since the 64/PSX era. I thought I was gonna hate aiming the bow in BOTW until I realised the gyro aiming was there too

I just have to tell you, your username, av, and title are top shelf.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Midjack posted:

Yeah, I'm going to have to steal that for my next Steam name.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Midjack posted:

I've never actually watched any of the dragon ball shows (i just thought the name was funny once a few years back and bought a new username/title) but I would absolutely love to get fighterz on switch

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Speaking of Dragonball, how’s Xenoverse 2? An open-world RPG brawler sounds fun, but is it worth shelling out $50 for if I don’t know anything about the show?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

Speaking of Dragonball, how’s Xenoverse 2? An open-world RPG brawler sounds fun, but is it worth shelling out $50 for if I don’t know anything about the show?

No. Its all about making your personal goku and taking part in the lore and grinding missions of badish gameplay. Im a big dbz fan and its not a great game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Real hurthling! posted:

No. Its all about making your personal goku and taking part in the lore and grinding missions of badish gameplay. Im a big dbz fan and its not a great game

That’s a shame. I recently started watching DB and wanted a good game. Hope FighterZ gets a port.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The greatest tragedy of the Xenoverse games is they don't "What if" hard enough, in my opinion.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
I only use half button presses with my d-pad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I want to see the what if story where gohan chooses to live with his real dad, piccolo

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Anyone try Mighty Gunvolt Burst? Worth getting?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I thought I was gonna hate aiming the bow in BOTW until I realised the gyro aiming was there too
Bought my Switch and Zelda today and had the opposite reaction -- spent the first hour wondering why the scope/bow was so shaky, assuming there was like a "steady shot" button I missed, and then realized it was the gyro doing that. (It's real nice one I stopped being a moron.)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

E2M2 posted:

It's got a good demo that I suggest checking out first. Save transfers over iirc. Worth getting if you're into it!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

E2M2 posted:

Yeah it's a good mega man throwback for $10. Kinda short if you're just trying to beat the levels (turns out generous checkpoints and infinite lives make those games pretty easy) but there are a bunch of cool things to unlock, optional challenges, and a score ranking system to encourage replaying level:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Now as for the INTI game I haven't played, hows Blaster Master Zero? I couldn't really get a good feel from the demo..... is there a decent amount of exploration/puzzle solving?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

goferchan posted:

Now as for the INTI game I haven't played, hows Blaster Master Zero? I couldn't really get a good feel from the demo..... is there a decent amount of exploration/puzzle solving?

Very good. It basically fixes all the issues the original game had. An excellent remake.

It’s not that puzzle heavy but it’s fun to explore the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Very good. It basically fixes all the issues the original game had. An excellent remake.

It’s not that puzzle heavy but it’s fun to explore the world.

This is my opinion as well. For grins I got the original on VC and holy cow, how did I even stand that kind of game back then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Midjack posted:

This is my opinion as well. For grins I got the original on VC and holy cow, how did I even stand that kind of game back then.

The original was cool but just way too punishing and cheap. Zero fixes that.

Zero also has a bunch of cool character DLC that changes how the game is played.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Zero is a really well-put-together package. It's about as clean of a Blaster Master remake as you could imagine. There are side-scrolling boss battles you fight in Sophia 3rd. Get it.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Zero’s a must buy if yer even a little into that sort of game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Zero is a really well-put-together package. It's about as clean of a Blaster Master remake as you could imagine. There are side-scrolling boss battles you fight in Sophia 3rd. Get it.

No pause damage glitch tho

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

No pause damage glitch tho

You do well enough not to need it in Zero, I found.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sweet, grabbing Blaster Master Zero thanks y'all

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Stop making me feel old. Get off my lawn.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So after playing the Kirby demo, I've come away with a few thoughts:

It actually is 30 fps, which is disappointing but on the other hand you'll stop noticing it fairly quickly too since Kirby's platforming is never very precise and difficult like Celeste or Tropical Freeze.

It's very adorable. And the backgrounds look amazing.

I'm pretty disappointed with how it appears they're implementing the power combining ability though. I thought it was gonna work like Kirby 64 where literally any ability could be pared with another ability. That's sadly not the case here. You can't combine ice and fire powers for example. You can't combine sword and bomb powers. Unless I missed it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finally finished up all the C-Sides in Celeste :toot: Only about 5000 deaths total. :v:

The Basstop joycon Dpad thing worked out real well for that game. In the end I feel like it's a bit on the fatiguing side compared to something like a DS4, but it's perfectly accurate once you get the diagonals to your liking and you get adjusted to the way it feels.

Good to hear about Blaster Master Zero as well, I was eyeing picking that one up in the future. Are any of the DLC characters particularly worth picking up?

• Locked thread