Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In the same vein on how Dwants Formicids had a gimmick that eventually settled into "This race is good at shields", if you want to make a placid magic race you'd push the things that work with that. So, armour skill, and a few magic schools filled with utility spells instead of spell-power based things. So terrible ad Cj, Hexes, Fire, neutral for other elements (since they have a good mix), good at charms and spellcasting, maybe necro. I don't think there is any race with positive armour&spellcasting&charms, is there? Maybe barachi? So poof, niche. You can pay me later.

Now, that being said, I'd prefer not to see yet another bad gimmick race. I just looked at the ingame options, and boy howdy is that a lot of races. We're now at magic number 27! Half of those are extreme gimmicks, and a third of them I still mentally classify as the brand new "Race of the day" to be forgotten by the next release. I mean, why do we still have felids again? I honestly wouldn't mind to see a massacre of all the weird ones, and pare them back so that the remaining oddball features are a bit more subtle, ie tengu and ogres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let's put some stuff back in before we start pulling stuff out

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Dwarves are naturally alcoholics. By analogy to the Deep Dwarf self-healing thing, give the mountain dwarves an activatable abiliity to pull from their bottomless supply of stashed-away booze and cause a self-ambrosia effect. I don't know what kind of cost it would need to be balanced though.

Clearly Mountain Dwarves would drink Mountain Dew. :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tollymain posted:

let's put some stuff back in before we start pulling stuff out

Oh yea, Gonncrawl looks like it's going to be all about cramming back in cut content, or at least at first. Which is cool. However I'm still holding a torch for some wizard with experience, a strong vision, and far too much free time to come and do some sort of amazing overhaul, cutting and adding in one fair blow, and leaving us with things like a carefully curated pantheon of gods (complete with chaos/law/evil/good faction pettiness) and such. Never gonna happen, but a man can dream!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
be the change you want to see in the world

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Please lets not forget about the actually important stuff like fountain quaffing.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Remove murderholes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serephina posted:

In the same vein on how Dwants Formicids had a gimmick that eventually settled into "This race is good at shields", if you want to make a placid magic race you'd push the things that work with that. So, armour skill, and a few magic schools filled with utility spells instead of spell-power based things. So terrible ad Cj, Hexes, Fire, neutral for other elements (since they have a good mix), good at charms and spellcasting, maybe necro. I don't think there is any race with positive armour&spellcasting&charms, is there? Maybe barachi? So poof, niche. You can pay me later.

Now, that being said, I'd prefer not to see yet another bad gimmick race. I just looked at the ingame options, and boy howdy is that a lot of races. We're now at magic number 27! Half of those are extreme gimmicks, and a third of them I still mentally classify as the brand new "Race of the day" to be forgotten by the next release. I mean, why do we still have felids again? I honestly wouldn't mind to see a massacre of all the weird ones, and pare them back so that the remaining oddball features are a bit more subtle, ie tengu and ogres.

or we could just leave them in so people can have fun playing whatever weird style they want

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Amen,

Praise be to the esoteric rabbit holes of wildly differing playing styles.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The only gimmick races I don't like are Deep Dwarf (broken in a way that probably can't be fixed), Vampire (fiddly for reasons that are more related to flavor than gameplay), and Human (not having any gimmicks is a boring gimmick).

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
I still plan on making a pull request for fountain quaffing, it's finnicky since it's a bunch of old commits and what potions actually exist has changed in the mean time so the probabilities need to be brainstormed. Feel free to beat me to doing this if you're so inclined

EDIT: Nvm, it was actually pretty easy

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/pull/21

Patashu fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 5, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

so are we giving felids boots now

Only a unique called kitten mittens that gives them ponderous.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Okay, quick compilation of Pakellas/rod discussion:

Rods:
  • Rods as a subtype of any wand type (low capped charges, recharges over time, use from inventory). Pakellas exclusive only, maybe???
  • Rods as randart spell book generated evocables (contain list of spells and capped MP, recharges over time, use from inventory). Pak exclusive.
  • Missing rod effects return only as xp evocables (maybe condense some evocables after doing this?)
  • Missing rod effects return only as wands (maybe condense some wands after doing this?)
  • Rods return as is (capped charges that increase with ?recharging, recharges over time, wield to use)

Pakellas:
  • No MP Regen/Gain MP from killing/MP Potions on overflow/Quick Charge
  • Bring back close to how it was (acts likes scroll of recharging based on wand rarity/remaining MP/total MP)
  • Slow trickle of charges at all times (pick a wand without looking at inventory; grant charges if present, grant wand if not)
  • Strip out and center around rods instead (depending on rod outcome). Either maybe rodify wands during worship or Trog style no magic conduct?
  • Device Surge
  • Bring back close to as it was (add enhancer at cost of piety dependent MP and piety per shot while active)
  • Just set wand spellpower to cap while active (at cost of piety per shot) instead of futzing around with enhancers
  • Supercharge
  • Convert wand into rod, increase existing rod capacity, or gift a specific rod (depending on rod outcome)
  • Gifts
  • Make gifts more common instead of Kiku tier style
  • Keep Kiku tier style, but improve quality of gifts

Let me know if I missed anything or you have more input (I'll do a final scroll through everything to pick up any points for previous discussions as well). I'll come up with the last set of discussion points either tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'll start putting polls together after that finishes.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 4, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the scenario where he gifts wand charges, there's no need for a conduct to prevent cheesing it. He picks a wand type without reference to your inventory. If you have one of those wands, he adds a few charges. If not, he gifts a wand with a few charges to you.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

In the scenario where he gifts wand charges, there's no need for a conduct to prevent cheesing it. He picks a wand type without reference to your inventory. If you have one of those wands, he adds a few charges. If not, he gifts a wand with a few charges to you.

Edit: Nevermind I can't read. Noting that down.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
New Hellcrawl update, changelog here:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21527&start=750

This stuck out to me as being a cool idea to try:

'WJC passively reduces total AC by a percentage (scaling with piety) in exchange for a passive slaying bonus (also scaling with piety).'

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

"Sojobo is male again."

:confused:

How many existing uniques have they made female now, and why not just make a new unique?

e: I thought it was gradual but it was all just this one commit. Very important to the game.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 5, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

"Sojobo is male again."

:confused:

How many existing uniques have they made female now, and why not just make a new unique?

e: I thought it was gradual but it was all just this one commit. Very important to the game.

why, because absolutely every unique must have no overlap with any other unique, just like the races

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought it was because they realized they had a fairly large imbalance gender-wise with uniques and moved to remedy it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How many existing uniques have they made male now? Why not just make a new unique?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean they could have made a bunch of new uniques to balance it out but that would be more work and time and im assuming they had other priorities to work on

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

quote:

+8 plate armour of Ustink {rElec rPois rN+ SInv}

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let me guess, found it while playing a Draconian?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Serephina posted:

if innate placid magic already favors the use of some schools and penalizes the use of others, why add the further burden of negative aptitudes to the penalized schools? the niche is already carved out

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samog posted:

if innate placid magic already favors the use of some schools and penalizes the use of others, why add the further burden of negative aptitudes to the penalized schools? the niche is already carved out
Making it easier for newer players to understand the point? Doesn't have to be severe, maybe just, like, a +1 in charms and spellcasting, and a -1 in some flavor-sensible elemental magic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tollymain posted:

i mean they could have made a bunch of new uniques to balance it out but that would be more work and time and im assuming they had other priorities to work on

So it's enough of a priority to make some arbitrary text changes, but not enough to actually make content with thought put into it. Somehow that seems more insulting than being under-represented in the first place, but I've never really understood where the social justice types draw the line between blatant pandering and "real" change. I'm not actually sure there's a lower bound on how far you have to go before they actually see it as pandering.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

So it's enough of a priority to make some arbitrary text changes, but not enough to actually make content with thought put into it. Somehow that seems more insulting than being under-represented in the first place, but I've never really understood where the social justice types draw the line between blatant pandering and "real" change. I'm not actually sure there's a lower bound on how far you have to go before they actually see it as pandering.
Do you do this in every thread you're in?

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/pulls

Made pull requests for fountain quaffing and return of Repel Missiles spell. In the mean time, it looks like nubletcrawler opened pull requests for Virulence (a spell that gives enemies -rPois) and returning wands of heal wounds.

The next thing I will code is Time Stop (level 9 hexes spell). Should be fun!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaodai posted:

im sure its very important to you that grinder is a dude or w/e and you aren't just seizing an opportunity to complain about them sjws

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patashu posted:

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/pulls

Made pull requests for fountain quaffing and return of Repel Missiles spell. In the mean time, it looks like nubletcrawler opened pull requests for Virulence (a spell that gives enemies -rPois) and returning wands of heal wounds.

The next thing I will code is Time Stop (level 9 hexes spell). Should be fun!

id honestly rather avoid bringing rmissiles back as a spell, i think the current way of handling it is a lot better than it being a must-learn for all characters

whats time stop do?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I actually don't want cWounds wands back. We already have the Harp (:toot:) and the Shard of Zot, so now, cWounds and Tele wands are just kinda OP. Having them as evokables actually gives most builds a reason to train the skill.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the big bad enemies guarding the goal are still giant flaming balls so the game is still more than masculine enough, imo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gotta keep from engaging more than one at once cause if the balls touch its gay

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FR: Change the Orb Guardians sprite to be shaped like a vagina.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They used to be levitating magic fetuses
Zot:5 is still shaped like a womb too

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What attribute increases should I choose for an octopode assassin? I have basically no experience playing non-tanks, so I'm trying this instead

Also, what god should I choose?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 5, 2018

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

id honestly rather avoid bringing rmissiles back as a spell, i think the current way of handling it is a lot better than it being a must-learn for all characters

Yeah I'm not super hot on it either, but it was on the request list and easy to do.

quote:

whats time stop do?

Level 9 hexes, gives you a few (currently 1+spellpower/50) free turns then exhausts you, it also ends early if you blink or teleport.
If it's too broken I'll try reducing the free turn amount, giving it more drawbacks or making it give you 0.1 turns (meaning other things can react) instead of 0.0 turns.
I'd love for every spell school in Gooncrawl to have a capstone spell.

EDIT: Time Stop is working

Patashu fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 5, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

What attribute increases should I choose for an octopode assassin? I have basically no experience playing non-tanks, so I'm trying this instead

Also, what god should I choose?

do you want to cast spells? if so, intelligence. if you don't really care, dexterity. strength doesn't have a lot of use for species who can't wear armour, far as i know.

for god choice it all comes down to what you want to do as well, but i recommend taking one that gives you a lot of power independent of your own character's strength (not the stat) to carry you through the early/mid game until you're stable-ish

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

How many existing uniques have they made male now? Why not just make a new unique?

I am not trying to start a fight or pick either side in this, because I could honestly care less what sex a monster is when I die tokill it.

The reason Hellmonk likely changed Sojobo back to male in Hellcrawl (and none of the others like Grinder or Aizul) is because Sojobo is basically a one-to-one with the Japanese mythological figure of the same name, and is identified as "king of the tengus". If you are into mythology and prefer representations to be as close to exact as possible, it might irk you. To flip it around: it's like somebody made a game using Greek deities, added seven of the females and three of the males, and then made Athena and Aphrodite male to balance the sexes out (because they didn't have the time/want/desire to put in the extra work to balance it properly by adding new male deities).

Tollymain posted:

Plenty of opportunity in Gooncrawl for this, though!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
vulva Ovary of fire MR underway as we speak

Teal fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 5, 2018

• Locked thread