Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s a really pretty, excellently scored movie regardless of what you think about the plot and characters, but it is, also, very long. I have a few criticisms—Jared Leto never really clicked for me as a villain and the plot doesn’t hold up all the way through—but it’s still a great movie.

Leto sucked, his part was written with David bowie in mind and that would have been so good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Leto sucked, his part was written with David bowie in mind and that would have been so good :(

Oh, my god, I'm legitimately disappointed now. gently caress, that would have made so much more sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My vote would be for Michael Fassbender or Guy Pearce for alive actors

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I thought Leto was pretty good. He pulled off unsettling pretty well. The star of the film is the overall aesthetic and atmosphere though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda irritated at the whole "OMG BLIND DUDE" in a world where they can literally grow fake people. Seems like curing blindness would be kinda simple compared to the rest.

Then I got annoyed because if they can cure blindness, that just means it's by choice, which means he's some kinda weird eye hipster style villain.

I did like the movie, but I didn't like all of it. I'm not sitting through it again, but I did mostly enjoy the time I did see it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i never got the impression that wallace's blindness was for anything but show

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

So I have moved back in with my parents for 4 months while I wait for my fiancée to move to DC from Baltimore. My little brother is in high school and my dad has installed a full wrestling mat in the basement. Every day when I come home from work I am forced to wrestle my little brother for an hour by my dad, who yells at both of us equally despite the fact that I am not trying out for high school wrestling next winter. Everything is sore as hell, especially my goddamn neck

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

It's my administration today, and I'm 71!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, MUELLER!!!

*every criminal from every project, conspiracy, campaign, scheme, and con come in with everything for a HUGE special investigation*

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Oh my god dude they're going to put you into a polygon and hurl you into space

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCqDZ864ZU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Serf posted:

i never got the impression that wallace's blindness was for anything but show

Probably should stop talking about Blade Runner in this thread, but eyes and seeing are probably the most consistent motif in the original. There is a ludicrous number of eye related things going on, from the Voight-Kampff test to the guy who makes eyes to the fact that all the replicants have reflective eyes. And obviously the opening in both films is a close up of eyes. The sequel is a love letter to the original and carries the motif through it too. K takes the first dude's eye at the start (it has a serial number, for example. And the scene with Rachel and Deckard where she has the wrong eye colour etc.

There's a lot of callbacks to the idea that eyes are the window to the soul in questioning whether replicants have souls. Wallace's eyes are completely clouded and opaque and he presumably chooses to see through cameras instead. It's basically a little nod to him being inhuman, and also ties into the whole God complex things he has going on - being able to see multiple places at once.

Also I guess David Bowie has pretty funky eyes, so there's potentially one reason he was the first choice for the role.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jeza posted:

It's basically a little nod to him being inhuman, and also ties into the whole God complex things he has going on - being able to see multiple places at once.

I was thinking of angels in those scenes because the biblical ones had lots of eyes.

On a practical level, never mind what the movie was saying, did he not have better vision overall? Seeing things from multiple angles, and from cameras that can float and hover away from you, and I think he had multiple types of vision as well.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

graph posted:

hi everyone this is maskenfreheit

how many people have you tried to doxx over PM today

Lowtax posted:

According to his email complaint he just sent to me, you just "doxed" him and "encouraged users to harass" him.

beautiful

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s a really pretty, excellently scored movie regardless of what you think about the plot and characters, but it is, also, very long. I have a few criticisms—Jared Leto never really clicked for me as a villain and the plot doesn’t hold up all the way through—but it’s still a great movie.

Yeah,its this,and my god is it beautifully shot and composed.even the dumb "la resistance" scenes are gorgeous and unique.i kinda get the idea of casting Leto to play a loving dweeb weirdo ,but the greatest crime of the movie is giving litle for robin wright penn to do.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Uranium posted:

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be Zybourne?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Ethics is Engineering is basically "don't make things that maim or kill people". Making a Minority Report But For Gangs is not mentioned.

fishmech posted:

i mean it is just straight up a Minority Report tho

If the tweet disappears, it said:
Tweet: Researchers build AI to identify gang members. When asked about potential misuses, presenter (a computer scientist at Harvard) says "I'm just an engineer." 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️
new article linked: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/artificial-intelligence-could-identify-gang-crimes-and-ignite-ethical-firestorm
Text of image quoted specifically within tweet: "Hau Chan, a computer scientist now at Harvard University who was presenting the work, responded that he couldn’t be sure how the new tool would be used. “I’m just an engineer,” he said. Lemoine quoted a lyric from a song about the wartime rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, in a heavy German accent: “Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?” Then he angrily walked out."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Not a quote from the forums, but about the forums and I wanted to share:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Lownex, Neck of Lowtax: DEAR RICHARD *crack*

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

value-brand cereal posted:

Lemoine quoted a lyric from a song about the wartime rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, in a heavy German accent: “Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?”

Song is dope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7me25aNtI

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lehrer going straight for the jugular. I think people are sometimes fooled by the upbeat tempo and odd delivery of his songs, or they only know Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, but a lot of dude’s stuff is razor sharp.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lehrer going straight for the jugular. I think people are sometimes fooled by the upbeat tempo and odd delivery of his songs, or they only know Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, but a lot of dude’s stuff is razor sharp.

Yeah one of my favorites of his on that front is Send the Marines, which sounds all happy and gung ho but then you hit lines like:

Might makes right
and until they've seen the light
they've got to be protected
all their rights respected
'til somebody we like can be elected

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

frankenfreak posted:

Not a quote from the forums, but about the forums and I wanted to share:

Yeah so Lowtax is having a grand old time in the American hellcare system right now and his stubborn refusal to turn this site into facebook may force him to choose between having servers or having a body. So if you were ever thinking about buying plat or a silly avatar for some doink well this is a great time for that, or use the Donate button on top right of this page I guess. Here's a cool pic by Spinster from Lowtax's anti social media thread, where that discussion is going on right now. There's some pretty neat stories in there too, like from people who goatsed themselves out of a job thanking SA for the inspiration, if you are into that sort of thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Kudzu is the enemy of anything living.

Rand Brittain posted:

Frankly it makes a pretty reasonable weapon against the undead, given that you can watch that poo poo grow on a hot day.

Davethulhu posted:

I can assure you that plants are the enemies of zombies

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bajaj posted:

Oh poo poo... I just swiped on my landlord. I was wondering why the woman in the photo looked so familiar, and I swiped right and then realized it's the person who owns the condo I live in. That's embarrassing. Now I guess I will show up on her list since I swiped right on her, and she'll be like "Hey, that's the foreigner that gives me money."

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You have to be making poo poo up, at this point. No one’s life can this closely mirror a sitcom. Just in case your life actually does, I vote that you take this opportunity to profit off the proceeds of your plunging. If I could pay rent with fiat plunge currency, I certainly would. PlungeCoin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah one of my favorites of his on that front is Send the Marines, which sounds all happy and gung ho but then you hit lines like:

Might makes right
and until they've seen the light
they've got to be protected
all their rights respected
'til somebody we like can be elected

I really wish he hadn't retired after Kissinger won the Nobel his songs are still on point today.

Folk Song Army is solid as hell too

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Great, another van out to get Stephen King.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Icochet posted:

Saying "I started watching this anime but it started getting creepy so I stopped" is kinda like saying "I went to this Klan rally but I left because they were pretty racist."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

I just conducted an experiment with my (consenting) girlfriend. i'm the same height roughly as mark cuban, 6'2-6'3, and we stood next to each other as you would for a photo op. I kept my left hand out as he says he always does. I was able to not exactly penetrate but definitely get past the labia and push towards the vagina itself with my finger. His excuse is bullshit and his great lawyers get him off on a "not actually in the vagina" technicality" it seems. If he did it at all, that is. We don't know about that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Well now I have to go see what the gently caress that was about.

e: welp okay that's loving creepy

https://deadspin.com/report-woman-t...dium=socialflow

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm currently in a Latvian souvenir shop and I can't really decide on how many levels of irony the shopkeeper is, as they sell matryoshkas with Trump.

OddObserver posted:

What's the nesting structure?

Pierogi posted:

Trump inside of Ivanka

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Wayfinder just lived the dream.

Trig Discipline posted:

I mean yeah it wasn't exactly Oklahomans making the film; they just need somewhere flat, desolate, and hopeless to shoot it.

Actually according to IMDB and other sites none of it was set or shot in Kansas at all.

wayfinder posted:

And your wife's chest was unavailable

Trig Discipline posted:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

lol

Does anyone have the actual quote for a burn that that was pretty much just:

'X gingerly holds the round peg over the round hole. Slowly, he places it down and reaches for the square one'

That's the jist of it but I remember it being very nicely put

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

It’s also apparently just ripped off from... everything. That win will not age well.

GDT was pretty blunt that the idea for the movie came from him seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon as a kid and wondering "huh, why doesn't the creature get the lady, the creature seems nice"

like, he's probably not the first person to have this idea, but the most obvious influence is something he's been straight-up about and it seems clear he came up with the fish-man-sex idea independently of anyone else who's done it (given that he's had the idea for Shape of Water kicking around in his head to some extent since the literal actual 1960s)

e:

value-brand cereal posted:

If the tweet disappears, it said:
Tweet: Researchers build AI to identify gang members. When asked about potential misuses, presenter (a computer scientist at Harvard) says "I'm just an engineer." 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️
new article linked: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/artificial-intelligence-could-identify-gang-crimes-and-ignite-ethical-firestorm
Text of image quoted specifically within tweet: "Hau Chan, a computer scientist now at Harvard University who was presenting the work, responded that he couldn’t be sure how the new tool would be used. “I’m just an engineer,” he said. Lemoine quoted a lyric from a song about the wartime rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, in a heavy German accent: “Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?” Then he angrily walked out."

also this dude isn't actually wrong- identifying potential misuses of the tech, while important, is not exactly his lane and you should probably ask an ethical philosopher or political scientist or something

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Mar 7, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

if youre such a robot that you cant even try to imagine the potential implications of the poo poo youre building, maybe you should live in a group home instead of automating racism

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Germans aren't a race. They lost that one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also this dude isn't actually wrong- identifying potential misuses of the tech, while important, is not exactly his lane and you should probably ask an ethical philosopher or political scientist or something

Incorrect.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, when I studied CS we actually had an extended section about the ethics in (software) engineering. And one of the classic case studies presented to pretty much every single CS student is the Therac-25, which carries the lesson of "Be careful and conscientious in your work, because even a seemingly tiny error might end up literally killing somebody down the line".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krankenstyle posted:

lol

if youre such a robot that you cant even try to imagine the potential implications of the poo poo youre building, maybe you should live in a group home instead of automating racism

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
If you aren't equipped to determine whether or not your gang detecting robot is racist (it definitely is) then you should not be making a gang detecting robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's like inventing a loving gun and acting like people are misusing it by shooting each other

Naw dude you invented a thing with no other practical function than racially profiling people, that's on you