Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Katt posted:

How different is Fallout 2 from fallout 1? I own both but I wanted to finish Fallout 1 before I got to 2.

The problem was that my fallout 1 character was designed around max damage and minimal damage mitigation and I found the red rider air rifle very early and it served as my main weapon for a while. Then I got to some super mutant in a sewer area I think. And my character was just instantly unviable on the spot. They'd just walk right through my high damage sniper attacks and kill me with their mid damage weapons. So the game sort of ended at that point and I never got back to it.

You should just buy a high caliber small arm, desert eagle from killian in junktown springs to mind, maybe the revolver if its in FO1. 4 AP, high base dmg. You'll want energy weapons later though.

You get enough XP and free stats and stuff in FO2 that you will probably have multiple builds on the same character, its entirely possible to have a character that can handle every weapon in the game with 95% accuracy (hint every ranged skill derives from agility + perception). The "win the game build" has always been pump Agility and Int to 7 or 8 on character creation, tag small arms, speech and whatever else you like and then basically be unstoppable for the whole game. This build also more or less gives you access to all the content that isn't walled behind being low int. You will blow everything to bits after you make it as far as the Den. Though, you can't make the combat genuinely trivial at any point as even once you have the best armour in the game certain weapons will basically ignore it. (Gauss/Plasma). Being swarmed by tough mutants and high damage raider type characters in the later areas is also always possible.

All that being said, FO2 is THE Fallout game as far as i'm concerned. FO1 is a very tight RPG, with good choice and progression but its small in scale and you have a specific objective to complete and theres a bunch of ways to lose. I really like FO1, I'll probably go reinstall the GOG version later today. FO1 also has the purest aesthetic where it is very much played straight. You are in the ruins of California - LA is here somewhere theres a couple of towns left but thats it. It's radioactive horrors as far as the eye can see. I remember there being a sense of dread when hitting a random encounter on my way to the Glow. Oooof. I recommend finishing FO1 before moving to FO2.

But FO2 is where all the weird poo poo and strangeness that Fallout is renowned for comes from, not to mention the bones of the story that is NV. Its filled with pop culture references, some of which are pretty weird looking back on them. The world is fleshed out, the good vs evil struggles that define the later games are all put together in FO2. I could go on and on about how genuinely brilliant FO2 is. Just play it.

On the Legion in NV stuff. They represent genuine classical brutality, the misogyny thats emphasised in the writing is an excellent way for you to understand the the stupidity and brutality of these people. They fundamentally believe that might makes right and that everyone should bow before power. Amazing baddies, they are fascists. Kill them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm legitimately confused the Legion even knows I exist.

None of them have ever survived setting eyes on me. :lol:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Southpaugh posted:

You should just buy a high caliber small arm, desert eagle from killian in junktown springs to mind, maybe the revolver if its in FO1. 4 AP, high base dmg. You'll want energy weapons later though.

You get enough XP and free stats and stuff in FO2 that you will probably have multiple builds on the same character, its entirely possible to have a character that can handle every weapon in the game with 95% accuracy (hint every ranged skill derives from agility + perception). The "win the game build" has always been pump Agility and Int to 7 or 8 on character creation, tag small arms, speech and whatever else you like and then basically be unstoppable for the whole game. This build also more or less gives you access to all the content that isn't walled behind being low int. You will blow everything to bits after you make it as far as the Den. Though, you can't make the combat genuinely trivial at any point as even once you have the best armour in the game certain weapons will basically ignore it. (Gauss/Plasma). Being swarmed by tough mutants and high damage raider type characters in the later areas is also always possible.

All that being said, FO2 is THE Fallout game as far as i'm concerned. FO1 is a very tight RPG, with good choice and progression but its small in scale and you have a specific objective to complete and theres a bunch of ways to lose. I really like FO1, I'll probably go reinstall the GOG version later today. FO1 also has the purest aesthetic where it is very much played straight. You are in the ruins of California - LA is here somewhere theres a couple of towns left but thats it. It's radioactive horrors as far as the eye can see. I remember there being a sense of dread when hitting a random encounter on my way to the Glow. Oooof. I recommend finishing FO1 before moving to FO2.

But FO2 is where all the weird poo poo and strangeness that Fallout is renowned for comes from, not to mention the bones of the story that is NV. Its filled with pop culture references, some of which are pretty weird looking back on them. The world is fleshed out, the good vs evil struggles that define the later games are all put together in FO2. I could go on and on about how genuinely brilliant FO2 is. Just play it.

On the Legion in NV stuff. They represent genuine classical brutality, the misogyny thats emphasised in the writing is an excellent way for you to understand the the stupidity and brutality of these people. They fundamentally believe that might makes right and that everyone should bow before power. Amazing baddies, they are fascists. Kill them all.

Thanks I really need to get working on FO1 and 2 but :effort: and I'll probably have to start over on FO1.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm legitimately confused the Legion even knows I exist.

None of them have ever survived setting eyes on me. :lol:

They had spies on you for like 3 years before FNV even started. Back when you were a functional member of society.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Katt posted:

Back when you were a functional member of society.

What is this slander!?

Also, minor fallout 4 thing: Piper owns a loving printing press, why are her pamphlets not in a more professional font? Why does anyone take her lovely font choices seriously? Any time someone tries to accuse McDonnough of being a synth he should just say "Comic Sans :smug:" and walk away.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Look, Piper is the foremost authority on what makes professional journalism, what with being the only one of her kind.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

What is this slander!?

Also, minor fallout 4 thing: Piper owns a loving printing press, why are her pamphlets not in a more professional font? Why does anyone take her lovely font choices seriously? Any time someone tries to accuse McDonnough of being a synth he should just say "Comic Sans :smug:" and walk away.

My theory is that the printing press is just a cast iron monstrosity she mainly uses to protect Nats sleeping spot for when someone unavoidably shots up the place. You will also notice that Nat is surrounded by concrete blocks on all sides when she is laying down.

Edit:

Early Nat concept art.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 5, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why has no one made a Gnatalie companion mod with custom automatic revolver and golf club holy poo poo!?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

May I present you with an alternative to making the world a better place.

https://i.imgur.com/2NDD6KV.mp4

https://youtu.be/3gU6VVjgyxE

It's available on Bethesda.net, too. Good stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

That mod looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if it works with Fallout 4 VR.

I don't VR myself, but as best I remember, there were some issues with plaque display that have been addressed?

Best to check the mod site itself though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Katt posted:

Thanks I really need to get working on FO1 and 2 but :effort: and I'll probably have to start over on FO1.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fallout 2 is one of the best games ever made. Granted it couldn't really have happened without 1. 2 is really a better game but part of that is because they got to do Fallout 1 but with more polish.

Fallout 1 was made over 20 years ago so do remember not to judge it compared to more recent games. Fallout runs on a 90 Mhz processor and only needs 16 MB of RAM. Still...if you didn't play it then I imagine you'll start seeing its influence everywhere since then. It's a very, very influential game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sim Settlements in VR status - cool and good.

Though they tucked my weapon table in Sanctuary away somewhere so I had to walk to Red Rocket to discover I didn't have enough duct tape to put a sight on my gun

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

What is this slander!?

Being snooty about a font... being snooty about a font never changes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
TBH Comic Sans is the font the English language deserves.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Curious if anything Fallout related gets announced at Bethesda's e3 presentation. The invite at any rate had some Fallout content, so here's hoping.

Anything but previous Fallout... Now in VR!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Fallout 2 remastered into VR - how does it work? I guess it'd be like looking at some weird, 3D diorama in action. And lot and lots of brown...

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 6, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They'll release a Fallout 2 VR demo for April's Fool, and in it you'll be sitting in front of an eMachine with no sound card playing the Fallout 2 demo.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

That sounds a lot cooler than Fallout 3 in VR.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

They'll release a Fallout 2 VR demo for April's Fool, and in it you'll be sitting in front of an eMachine with no sound card playing the Fallout 2 demo.

That would be better than anything Bethesda's made since Daggerfall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
An isometric Fallout co developed by Obsidian and InExile except that the combat system is like XCom.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if I can't shoot people in the groin, no sale

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pillars of the Wasteland: Enemy Unknown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does that not sound like the best thing ever? Throw some VATS targeting in with the xcom gameplay and it's perfect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does that not sound like the best thing ever? Throw some VATS targeting in with the xcom gameplay and it's perfect.

Wastelands 2 already exists and it's dogshit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well this isn't wasteland 2 we're talking about is it? As long as I'm imagining my magical fairyland super isometric rpg I'm taking from the best turn based combat.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does anyone else have that thing where vertibirds always try to crash on you?

https://i.imgur.com/XYhG3Ag.mp4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Whatever happened to wastelands 3? They did that teaser thing years ago and then no news since. Did it just get cancelled?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Katt posted:

Does anyone else have that thing where vertibirds always try to crash on you?

https://i.imgur.com/XYhG3Ag.mp4

All. The. loving. Time.
County Crossing is a BOS death zone in my game.
Good for loot though!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Helith posted:

All. The. loving. Time.
County Crossing is a BOS death zone in my game.
Good for loot though!

I appreciate that they game lets you shot down vertibirds and kill BOS patrols without ruining your relationship with them. Shooting down virtibirds is a lot of fun and I'd hate to miss out.

It even makes lore sense because with no survivors then who's going to snitch on you?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Katt posted:

I appreciate that they game lets you shot down vertibirds and kill BOS patrols without ruining your relationship with them. Shooting down virtibirds is a lot of fun and I'd hate to miss out.

It even makes lore sense because with no survivors then who's going to snitch on you?

I’ve never been a fan of the BOS in the games and usually end up massacring them all. Plus, those vertibirds are ridiculously fragile and easy to shoot down. Danse is ok though.
My favourite F4 picture is one of my character and Deacon stood on the beach watching the Prydwen burn.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
After playing F:NV I've been craving for a soft reboot type West Coast Fallout type of thing, something set roughly 20 years after the nuclear war, with rebuilding going on and conflicts arising from various factions claiming legitimacy.

What has kept me from playing FO3 and FO4 is that the games sorta feel like they're weighted down by the previous games and 20-year old world building, so you always get Enclave and BOS doing essentially the same things, two-headed cows and so on.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Helith posted:

I’ve never been a fan of the BOS in the games and usually end up massacring them all. Plus, those vertibirds are ridiculously fragile and easy to shoot down. Danse is ok though.
My favourite F4 picture is one of my character and Deacon stood on the beach watching the Prydwen burn.

Danse is a racist Buzz Lightyear because they ran out of time before they could finish his redemption arc.

I like the BOS because they see the problem and we know that it is in fact a problem and they have a solution in mind to the problem and then they solve the problem and move on. I can respect that level of determination and focus.

As opposed to the other factions who are either insane or delusional. (The minutemen would not last one decade after the player leaves)

If the world made any sense the Railroad and Minutemen while suspicious would render some aid to the BOS or at least not get in the way.

The problems I see with the BOS are mainly theoretical. They want to wipe out all synths but then have no way to detect synths so after the Institute is blown up they are not a practical threat to liberated synths.

They do shot ghouls on sight if they see them but it's a half hearted effort and they aren't really trying to eradicate them like they do with the super mutants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they'd taken the faction stories to their proper conclusions, the BoS would've had the half/finished Danse Redemption ending as an option, the Minutemen story would've lead up to the reestablishment of the failed Commonwealth Provisional Government that we hear about, and the institute would've had... gently caress, we'd have to figure out what their actual goals were to have a proper ending for them.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MikeJF posted:

If they'd taken the faction stories to their proper conclusions, the BoS would've had the half/finished Danse Redemption ending as an option, the Minutemen story would've lead up to the reestablishment of the failed Commonwealth Provisional Government that we hear about, and the institute would've had... gently caress, we'd have to figure out what their actual goals were to have a proper ending for them.

What was the Railroads goal anyway? Wiping out the institute means no more synths or did they want to take over the synth factory?

On a practical lore level I see FO4 as having two sides. The institute and everyone else. On any practical level the BOS will leave after finishing their mission and the other factions can reap the rewards.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

Whatever happened to wastelands 3? They did that teaser thing years ago and then no news since. Did it just get cancelled?

still coming, but it's not slated until 2019.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The railroad wanting to blow up the Institute is the most baffling part of their story; unless I missed an audio log where they mention being capable of reproduction you're essentially sterilizing synths as a long-running race. It would make far more sense for them to take over the institute.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 6, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The railroad don't want to really care about promoting synths as a race, they just want to stop the slavery.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The railroad don't want to really care about promoting synths as a race, they just want to stop the slavery.

Yeah but, when you're asked to make a choice between slavery and euthanizing an entire race....

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
a preview of the moral choice before us when lab-grown chicken eggs and cow milk are indistinguishable from the real thing and cheaper

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Neurosis posted:

a preview of the moral choice before us when lab-grown chicken eggs and cow milk are indistinguishable from the real thing and cheaper

Are there wild cows? What happens to the cows when we no longer need their milk and meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the direction bethesda took the BoS in their fallout games is indescribably bad