Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uninformed Pollyanna Opinion Time: the progressive and activist equivalent to 60s/70s drag is modern trans culture, not modern drag culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

i guess the historical view i always got of drag was that it originally involved a lot of transpeople who did it because "being trans" wasn't really something most people knew was possible let alone at all acceptable, then later on once transpeople could start actually being themselves they mostly left and it just kinda became this insular thing cis gays do. it's good to know there's much more to it than that though

i've discussed drag with a few trans friends and everyone i've talked to seems to have had the exact opposite reaction - the ones who had been to drag events said it just made them intensely uncomfortable (one of them to the point of leaving halfway through), the drag queens i've interacted with in real life were universally pretty horrible people (most recently being the one at the pride parade minstrel show i mentioned who was making rape jokes on stage), and the only person i've met who i'd call a hardcore fan was this guy i worked with who was the embodiment of that special breed of san francisco liberal paint on top of awful conservative core.

though again, i totally get that there's a whole lot more than what my friends and i have noticed and it sounds like it genuinely helps people and has a lot of not-lovely parts, so :shrug:

Yeah, it sounds like your local drag scene is dire. It definitely varies with the area. New york or LA are going to have way better scenes than like St Pete.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

Uninformed Pollyanna Opinion Time: the progressive and activist equivalent to 60s/70s drag is modern trans culture, not modern drag culture

Kinda, yeah.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

God bless this gay-rear end sea.

username post combo

also: the sounds on that part of the video haha

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/smashmouth/status/870347565572554753

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, if anyone cares, I had a revelation today that made me go from "huh, maybe I’m trans" to "yeah, probably."

It’s really stupid, but no mocking, please. When I play online games I almost always pick a female character with a female name (this part wasn’t the revelation). I would never use voice chat, only text. And I was always disappointed when people just assumed I was a guy. So I was thinking about that. It wasn’t a "aww, I didn’t trick them" disappointment, but "why am I so obviously a guy?"

And that got me thinking, with remote work and online gaming and such, just how much has that helped trans people in giving space to figure things out by being semi-anonymous? The internet is both terrible and great.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

:words: that I care about.

:sympathy:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And that got me thinking, with remote work and online gaming and such, just how much has that helped trans people in giving space to figure things out by being semi-anonymous? The internet is both terrible and great.

This is definitely a common thing with a lot of transpeeps I know. You're absolutely not alone there. :sympathy:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Forer posted:

This is definitely a common thing with a lot of transpeeps I know. You're absolutely not alone there. :sympathy:

The morag tong lady assassin Hikari Blackhands can attest to this (god I'm such a dork)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i picked lady characters since childhood and role played as a lady once or twice its p common

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I always roleplayed as a super androgynous bard character. vidya games are 50/50, my main in WoW was a buff night elf dude. always go for femshep. male boss in saints row. depends on how badly sexualized the female characters are I guess.

idk if I'd call myself genderqueer or w/e but I don't think I feel gender dysphoria the same was as a lot of girls. there are lots of days where gender doesn't bother me, some days I actually like dressing like a sharp male. but I'd still rather not have a peenor, or be legally male

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Forer posted:

Thank you both, that really helped. I promise I’m not crying right now.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
gently caress.

I just had someone inadvertently outed to me today, and I feel horrible. Super nice lady stopped by to have me reset some equipment bequeathed to her by the person previously in the position. While doing that, found out they didn't have access to a system yet.

Looking in to it, we hadn't gotten an email with their name in it yet with the information we needed to make the account. Turns out she had it, so I put in the request. Curious about why the mix-up, I reverse search the information and find out it's tied to a different name that we'd never been informed of.

I'm trying to subtly raise this with my supervisor so that something like this doesn't happen again. Phrasing it as missing people who give us a different preferred name as opposed to legal name. I might have to go directly to HR though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm trying to subtly raise this with my supervisor so that something like this doesn't happen again. Phrasing it as missing people who give us a different preferred name as opposed to legal name. I might have to go directly to HR though.

be prepared to have to push the right thing through your department regardless because hr will probably care more about legal compliance than doing right by your fellow workers

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
If my department does push-back, I already have my bomb for HR ready to go to force compliance. Being in Canada and a post-secondary institution gives some leverage.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If my department does push-back, I already have my bomb for HR ready to go to force compliance. Being in Canada and a post-secondary institution gives some leverage.

oh hell yeah

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

speaking of work, aclu just won against an org that fired a worker for coming out as trans:

https://twitter.com/aclu/status/971472463044497409?s=21

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

evil_bunnY posted:

speaking of work, aclu just won against an org that fired a worker for coming out as trans:

https://twitter.com/aclu/status/971472463044497409?s=21

this will just make companies fire trans people for unrelated reasons or no reasons at all, and just refuse to hire trans people at all

this isnt enough

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont know how to solve the problem of companies just lying about the truth tho

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pollyanna posted:

this will just make companies fire trans people for unrelated reasons or no reasons at all, and just refuse to hire trans people at all

this isnt enough

it is nowhere near enough but there is a pretty massive difference between employers having to make up an excuse and it being legally acceptable to just straight out fire someone for their gender identity.

at the very least this will make HR departments more vigilant and probably will end up costing some bigots that couldn't even manage to fake an excuse a lot of money.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

this isnt enough

the aclu is a civil liberties organization. why do you want them to fix every single problem rather than just the ones that their members have trained specifically to address?

e

Pollyanna posted:

i dont know how to solve the problem of companies just lying about the truth tho

the answer to this is labor protections that prevent abrupt firings entirely or guarantee full compensation for people who are fired, but it's a different department of law from the aclu and if it ever does exist it'll need to exist alongside specific protections for minorities too

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 8, 2018

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

the answer to this is labor protections that prevent abrupt firings entirely or guarantee full compensation for people who are fired, but it's a different department of law from the aclu and if it ever does exist it'll need to exist alongside specific protections for minorities too

No, if you are abruptly fired or discriminated against because of who you are it is pretty squarely a civil rights case. The point is to reduce the attack surface, so that if someone wants to fire you because they hate your orientation or skin color or gender identity, they now need to do a lot more work to fabricate an excuse (along with a paper trail) and face a much higher risk of a lawsuit if the lie comes out. All this is of course predicated on law enforcement authorities giving people's complaints equal scrutiny instead of tossing all LGBTQI+ complaints directly into the trash. There probably would not be a need for wording like "specific protections for minorities" if already existing laws were not applied selectively.

PS. hello thread, I am a cishet white male who has probably only experienced discrimination in a "foreigner in japan" sense. During the last year - thanks to sources of information like this thread - I have come to realise both how incomplete and wrong my view of things is. Thank you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, i have a numb area on my underboob. numb as in "novocaine". it's weird as gently caress. supposedly it will either resolve with a bunch of insane shooty pains going through it for months or just stay that way. i can straight up prick it with a pin and nothing.

so, like, watch out for that if ya getting boobs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, nerves going dead and doing weird stuff. A whole chunk of my back was kind of numb then as it all got hooked back up weeks after the surgery its uuuuugh pins and needles

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

half my knee is still completely numb after i sliced it open as a kid, at least i didn't get any weird shooting pains though i guess :shrug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cis autodrag posted:

lol, i have a numb area on my underboob. numb as in "novocaine". it's weird as gently caress. supposedly it will either resolve with a bunch of insane shooty pains going through it for months or just stay that way. i can straight up prick it with a pin and nothing.

so, like, watch out for that if ya getting boobs

Sounds like you have a fun party trick, currently.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
weed job interview went well

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

weed job interview went well

Congrats!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sounds like you have a fun party trick, currently.

Lol, like I go to parties.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

thanks

second round of interviews isn't until april so fingers crossed. seems pretty simple though, i've worked for the lcbo a lot and the ocrc seems like it's going to be very similar

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
here's a question for trans folks itt: is testosterone/estrogen something you keep taking for the rest of your life or does your body eventually figure things out? i assume the former. the guy i mentioned dating a while back started the process of getting on testosterone and it sorta got me thinking

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

here's a question for trans folks itt: is testosterone/estrogen something you keep taking for the rest of your life or does your body eventually figure things out? i assume the former. the guy i mentioned dating a while back started the process of getting on testosterone and it sorta got me thinking

It's forever. Trans women get to stop Spiro and other t blockers after surgery, but you need the hormones forever or you start losing some of your changes (and also your bones will get brittle without some type of sex hormones).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

even if you don't get surgery, after taking the hormones long enough you generally need em' forever because your body eventually figures out "oh maybe i should stop some of these secretions"

not all the secretions unfortunately, but enough of them to gently caress you up if you don't keep taking meds :sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

even if you don't get surgery, after taking the hormones long enough you generally need em' forever because your body eventually figures out "oh maybe i should stop some of these secretions"

not all the secretions unfortunately, but enough of them to gently caress you up if you don't keep taking meds :sigh:

Yeah. If you go off for years you might get back to your old levels but you're going to look like your dead self again and have brittle bird bones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
bones are important

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bones are important

Bones are the foundation of calcium

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bones are important

I disagree. I always get boneless chicken for instance.

First appointment with a gender issues specific therapist on Thursday. Kinda nervous.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

thanks

second round of interviews isn't until april so fingers crossed.

is it april 20th by any chance?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

seems like a good day for a weed interview is all im sayin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Progressive JPEG posted:

seems like a good day for a weed interview is all im sayin