Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is Margot going to become fairy queen?

She's going to be the motherfucking fairy queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's gonna scoop out that Fairy bitch's eye to replace her own.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rhyno posted:

She's gonna scoop out that Fairy bitch's eye to replace her own.

I’m sure there are no ways in which that could have negative consequences, which is to say “let’s do it”!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Margot is my hero

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Renewed. Not that it was ever in any doubt, but woo!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penny faking his way through Game of Thrones spoilers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

YES!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This Harriet section being totally silent is a bold choice but I like it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holy poo poo, next week "The Musical Episode"

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I smell an Emmy. :unsmith:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

cochise posted:

I smell an Emmy. :unsmith:

If at least one episode this season doesn’t get nominated, I will be sorely disappointed

Woden
May 6, 2006

I think we found hell.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

I loved it. It really put you in her shoes. This show keeps surprising me with these wonderful moments.

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
The Harriet part was so well done and powerful and it made me cry for the second time this season.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The best thing was that it wasn't totally silent, you could hear her footsteps, I'd assume because she'd feel the vibration?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They kind of already did that.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

They kind of already did that.

the only did one Les Mis song and dance that time

this looks like the buffy musical episode

which, of course, we've already had an in-character joke about this season

i love this show

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Spanish Matlock posted:

The best thing was that it wasn't totally silent, you could hear her footsteps, I'd assume because she'd feel the vibration?

Probably part that and part so that folks didn't think something was off with the broadcast. Goofuses confused by that sequence in Last Jedi aside, it would have been a long segment to run totally silent.

By the way, did anyone catch the ASL for 'Fillory'? I didn't see it spelled out, so I'm curious how they rendered it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Probably part that and part so that folks didn't think something was off with the broadcast. Goofuses confused by that sequence in Last Jedi aside, it would have been a long segment to run totally silent.

By the way, did anyone catch the ASL for 'Fillory'? I didn't see it spelled out, so I'm curious how they rendered it.

She might have just spelled it out, I don't speak ASL but I'm pretty sure she was spelling out the word "elemental" in one of those scenes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm super glad to hear that. There's nothing quite like this show out there. On paper I'd never thought it could balance all the tones it does, but man it manages.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think because the footsteps made noise. I don't think they muted any of the sound for us, I think there just was basically no sound other than some walking now and then. It isn't as if they showed the head librarian speaking but we couldn't hear it. They just didn't verbally speak.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://youtu.be/IJXPzpLAFnY

This might give some insight

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

I think because the footsteps made noise. I don't think they muted any of the sound for us, I think there just was basically no sound other than some walking now and then. It isn't as if they showed the head librarian speaking but we couldn't hear it. They just didn't verbally speak.

There were several Harriet scenes that were muted versions of things we had already seen, or would see. The planning scene as well as the actual library heist all had sound, we just didn't hear it during her story. I really loved it, it was incredibly compelling and the choice to make the shattering glass at the end have sound was so jarring. It topped the mosaic story for me, and I had thought for sure that was going to be the high point of this season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that both times this season they leaned into an in-universe device or reason for our perspective to switch between characters Penny was the cause of it, and both times we Saw brief snippets of Eliot in peril in a suitably crazy situation, either fleeing from cannibals or on trial before a marsupial judge.

It's also really stood out to me how much stuff happens between episodes and the audience is just trusted to know what's up. We don't see Penny put himself in a book and get sent to the underworld, it's just poof he's there at the start. After Penny's death we don't see them working out how they're going to stay in touch with him, it's just wham singing fish with the key hung under it. We don't see them putting little number tags on the keys, but there they are. I'm sure I'm missing glaring examples, and I've felt like it's been going on since the start of the show, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

For my taste a little bit too much takes place off-screen, but I wish more shows would follow the Magicians' lead and give characters more agency to further their various goals or even make minor changes to their situations between episodes.

I wasn't expecting the latest faerie development but I totally should have, I just didn't pick up on the clues for whatever reason. It totally makes sense for humans to go after magic by any means necessary, and I have to think snorting magic cocaine is a direct callout to how magicians are addicted to magic and it's just like a drug to many of them. We've seen them be suicidal without it, left with a purposeless life like the Dean, and our main characters are doing all kinds of crazy stuff to bring it back despite ample evidence that it's done way more harm than good.

Also on the faerie front, I hope the show doesn't have the faeries on earth and Fillory know about each other or have a way of communicating, so we get the dichotomy of the Earth faeries being subservient and basically helpless in a world run by humans while the Fillory faeries have mostly been running the show while Fillory is left with no magic to rely on, and likewise being more vulnerable because it has fewer humans and has been far more directly reliant on magic. Seems more interesting that way for me to see two identical magical creatures shaped by their surroundings to be in vastly different situations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I were a magician and magic went away, I would legit probably just kill myself.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were a magician and magic went away, I would legit probably just kill myself.

I'd probably just do what Alice was going to do and find a way to get myself hooked up with some kind of demihuman infection. Vampire, werewolf, demonic possession. Honestly, being an empowered immortal in a world of non-magic users sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Josh Lyman posted:

With so much of the stories being about depression, I understand if they don’t want to show a bunch of characters just choosing death. (Even complicated by the fact that presumably they know the Underworld exists.) But one has to presume that was an option a lot of people took.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

NowonSA posted:

I like that both times this season they leaned into an in-universe device or reason for our perspective to switch between characters Penny was the cause of it, and both times we Saw brief snippets of Eliot in peril in a suitably crazy situation, either fleeing from cannibals or on trial before a marsupial judge.

It's also really stood out to me how much stuff happens between episodes and the audience is just trusted to know what's up. We don't see Penny put himself in a book and get sent to the underworld, it's just poof he's there at the start. After Penny's death we don't see them working out how they're going to stay in touch with him, it's just wham singing fish with the key hung under it. We don't see them putting little number tags on the keys, but there they are. I'm sure I'm missing glaring examples, and I've felt like it's been going on since the start of the show, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

For my taste a little bit too much takes place off-screen, but I wish more shows would follow the Magicians' lead and give characters more agency to further their various goals or even make minor changes to their situations between episodes.

I wasn't expecting the latest faerie development but I totally should have, I just didn't pick up on the clues for whatever reason. It totally makes sense for humans to go after magic by any means necessary, and I have to think snorting magic cocaine is a direct callout to how magicians are addicted to magic and it's just like a drug to many of them. We've seen them be suicidal without it, left with a purposeless life like the Dean, and our main characters are doing all kinds of crazy stuff to bring it back despite ample evidence that it's done way more harm than good.
So much this. Shows that treat their audience like intelligent humans are few and far between. The fact Magicians manages to pull this off is a miracle.

So, hey, how has nobody literally used the phrase "fairy dust" yet? Because as soon as I realized it was ground up fairies (I honestly didn't think to figure it out so it hit me as soon as I saw the fairy's leg was chopped off) I laughed my rear end off. Here's this gruesome scene and I'm laughing because this show's cocaine analogy is... cocaine. Should've known from the start because that's the most on-the-nose clue ever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

With so much of the stories being about depression, I understand if they don’t want to show a bunch of characters just choosing death. (Even complicated by the fact that presumably they know the Underworld exists.) But one has to presume that was an option a lot of people took.

well, we did have that big dramatic suicide attempt by the head of breakbills' medical staff

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

DaveKap posted:

So much this. Shows that treat their audience like intelligent humans are few and far between. The fact Magicians manages to pull this off is a miracle.

So, hey, how has nobody literally used the phrase "fairy dust" yet? Because as soon as I realized it was ground up fairies (I honestly didn't think to figure it out so it hit me as soon as I saw the fairy's leg was chopped off) I laughed my rear end off. Here's this gruesome scene and I'm laughing because this show's cocaine analogy is... cocaine. Should've known from the start because that's the most in-the-nose clue ever.

FTFY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, sure it sucks that they were ghosting Josh BUT he isn't exactly actually one of their friends. He's just a guy they know.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

You know I'm not that big a fan of Under Pressure as covered by the cast of The Magicians.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Was that episode like thirty minutes or something? So many loving commercials jesus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well Hale Appelman is pretty much the only one of them that can actually sing. They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Well Hale Appelman is pretty much the only one of them that can actually sing. They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.

It was like they dubbed them with other people who really couldn't sing either.

Whalley posted:

Was that episode like thirty minutes or something? So many loving commercials jesus

Just as many as usual it seems. If you go back and look at hour-long shows, in the 70s and 80s they were up close to 50 minutes. They've been creeping down ever since, now they're 40-43 minutes.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.

Yea I was expecting her to be a little more than what we got. I didn't mind it that much cause Jade Tailor is awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Remember how great that musical episode of Buffy was?" -The Magicians showrunners, probably

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I mean, sure it sucks that they were ghosting Josh BUT he isn't exactly actually one of their friends. He's just a guy they know.

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

Still can't believe he was Frasier's son on Frasier, appearing on pretty much every season.

cochise posted:

You know I'm not that big a fan of Under Pressure as covered by the cast of The Magicians.

I was into it, but mostly because I love the characters.

Josh Lyman posted:

"Remember how great that musical episode of Buffy was?" -The Magicians showrunners, probably

Maybe. But they've kind of positioned themselves in the show with pretty much being able to do whatever they want now. They also had the cast sing a song from Les Mis last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

- the magicians, literally two episodes ago, literally calling it the best episode of buffy