Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The_Doctor posted:

That’s a major part of its charm, it’s replayability. It’s meant to be played over and over, trying out different routes, noting down stuff for next time. Some things will only unlock on a second go-around. Dive on in!

I don't like how it's all about making split second uninformed decisions. You get to a new city and suddenly it's immediately go time. Gotta pick the next route immediately because things are gonna close off in seconds and gently caress you if you want to take a breather and see all your options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

the_american_dream posted:

Not sure if anyone could help but giving it a shot. Haven’t had an iPhone since around 2013 and was really into an interactive novel crime game called Cause of Death. Just picked up an X last weekend and was sad to see the story ended and the game was removed in 2014.

Anyone have a recs for a game in the same interactive novel mystery or crime solving type vein?

Have a look at the Lifeline series.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Len posted:

I don't like how it's all about making split second uninformed decisions. You get to a new city and suddenly it's immediately go time. Gotta pick the next route immediately because things are gonna close off in seconds and gently caress you if you want to take a breather and see all your options.

I wish my travels in 80 Days were that brisk. I usually end up stuck in town for a day or two because I don't have enough money or the right set of possessions to make the next vehicle out of town leave sooner. Then there was the time I ran out of money in the Amazon, and needless to say there was no bank for me to make a withdrawal from there.

With the right purchases and sales, it's not too difficult to make the trip in less than 80 Days, and if you don't always take the most "efficient" route you can still manage it and see lots of interesting things on the way.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The trick is that when you get a special item valuable in one place you should take it to that place and sell it. So long as you have enough money when you get to New York you’ll make it in time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The trick is not to care about getting around the world.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
That too. They kept adding new paths, too, at least to the PC version. If you want some idea of what all can be accomplished look at the list of steam achievements.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wish they’d add more to the IOS version. 80 Days does have a couple of bottlenecks, particularly when crossing the Pacific. I swear, I’m so sick of going through the murder mystery again and again.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Holy Potatoes: Space is pretty fun as FTL with a special mode for casual gamers like me.

slothwerks
Mar 21, 2014
I'm looking to add some more beta testers to help get feedback on the new hero Mulford/Muldorf in Meteorfall. If you're interested in trying it out, PM me here, DM @slothwerks, or email me: superpeon1 at gmail. make sure to mention your Apple/Google Play email and which platform you're on. would love to add around 10 people or so!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Part time UFO is pretty neat. Unfortunately its also abit short some of the outfits are actually bad!

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Part time UFO is pretty neat. Unfortunately its also abit short some of the outfits are actually bad!

I think a bunch of outfits were made to be challenges, like the clown outfit doesn’t help with the circus levels at all but you get an achievement for wearing it on a circus level.

I wish the outfit descriptions were more detailed like some descriptions don’t say anything about their effects and yet the UFO definitely acts differently.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quiet Python posted:

I wish my travels in 80 Days were that brisk. I usually end up stuck in town for a day or two because I don't have enough money or the right set of possessions to make the next vehicle out of town leave sooner. Then there was the time I ran out of money in the Amazon, and needless to say there was no bank for me to make a withdrawal from there.

With the right purchases and sales, it's not too difficult to make the trip in less than 80 Days, and if you don't always take the most "efficient" route you can still manage it and see lots of interesting things on the way.

Yeah I liked 80 days, and on my first trip did my best to ignore plot hooks and focused on getting enough money to bribe conductors to move up time tables. I finished in I think 63 days but hadn’t romanced anyone or helped many people. It’s definitely a game to explore and not worry about the deadline, as otherwise I’m not sure you’d have any reason to go off course to Africa or South America.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RedRupee posted:

I think a bunch of outfits were made to be challenges, like the clown outfit doesn’t help with the circus levels at all but you get an achievement for wearing it on a circus level.

I wish the outfit descriptions were more detailed like some descriptions don’t say anything about their effects and yet the UFO definitely acts differently.
I wish the outfit prices were lower because I've got all 81 medals and there's still a lot of grind to clear out the shop.

The king outfit would be useful if it doubled the gold. And Qbby is just useless.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Piquai Souban posted:

Holy Potatoes: Space is pretty fun as FTL with a special mode for casual gamers like me.

Their info remarkably says it's compatible with an iPad 3? Any legacy users give it a go?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Thwomp posted:

iOS Gaming: you can forego the sock and poop in the toilet

SA is still good actually?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Snatcher-esque indie adventure Read Only Memories is out

Here's some RPS impressions of the PC version (which I played and really liked)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?s=read+only+memories

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 7 hour drive and forgot my switch so looking for a ROG to play; how’s the jade empire port? Also how is Chrino Trigger?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Empress Brosephine posted:

how is Chrino Trigger?

hahahahahahahaha

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Apple is having problems getting game client updates to the App Store today. Several games affected include Fire Emblem, FF Brave Exvius, alchemy code, and more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not letting people log in to Alchemist's Code is a blessing in disguise. That game is terrible and the design is far more contemptuous towards players than anything in FFBE has ever been. Especially the event [Extra] stages that you can't auto, and need a specific or stacked-as-gently caress team to handle. And need to run dozens of times for drops to max out a weapon or character LB.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Any game where "auto" sounds like an appealing option is probably a bad game imo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Any game where "auto" sounds like an appealing option is probably a bad game imo

This is also true. There's an absolute fuckload of grinding and there's even 'skip tickets' that you use to insta-clear a stage (stamina is still used up) which you'll generally use by the dozens on stages you're farming for (pieces of) gear you need to level a character's job. Alchemist's Code is a bad game. Even Nexon's crappy tactics game felt less grindy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jeff Goldblum posted:

aka 90% of JRPGS

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Unlike those idle game...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I mean a lotofJRPG fans are just neckbeards that like to watch numbers get bigger...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
um that’s not what they want to see bigger in those games

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The...the anime bosoms?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any Goons playing Pixel Plex?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

obi_ant posted:

Any Goons playing Pixel Plex?

Google tells me it's yet another iap city builder?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Len posted:

Google tells me it's yet another iap city builder?

Yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So no other information? Your wording implies you are playing it so whats it like? Is it just yet another timer game or is there actual gameplay?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dandara/id1168013926?mt=8

Anybody drop $14.95 on Dandara? Supposedly it’s a good metroidvania.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dan Dara is awesome. I’m surprised it’s on iOS, but it’s a great fit given the way it controls.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I beat it close to 100% on Switch, it's ok (I preordered and got it for like $12 and didn't feel ripped off or anything) but structurally it's not a great Metroidvania IMO. The movement, art, and the boss fights are cool (although there are only 3, unfortunately) but the upgrades you get are really boring "key to open the door" stuff and don't really change the way you traverse through the world. The difficulty curve is also really up-and-down and the game ends extremely suddenly, it felt like it was over right when it was getting started. It's probably impressive in the context of iOS games but compared to other games in the genre like Steamworld Dig 2 and Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge that have come out in the past few years it feels half-assed

edit: oh the music is good too, if you buy it definitely play with headphones. The boss fight theme is especially sick

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Holy potatoes were in space is a good game. Not seven bucks good, but good. If it drops on sale I’d get it. A little too one dimensional and easy to stroll through without much fuss. Ignore any and all FTL comparisons.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xxEightxx posted:

Holy potatoes were in space is a good game. Not seven bucks good, but good. If it drops on sale I’d get it. A little too one dimensional and easy to stroll through without much fuss. Ignore any and all FTL comparisons.

So you’re saying it’s like X-com?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Len posted:

So no other information? Your wording implies you are playing it so whats it like? Is it just yet another timer game or is there actual gameplay?

Actually, don't play the game. I played about 3 hours and it's boring as gently caress. I usually like games like this too, but the inability to play with your friends really sucks.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Doctor Zero posted:

So you’re saying it’s like X-com?

It’s like xcom but it’s in space and there are a lot of aliens

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yo whats the deal with Battle Cats?

I have been playing for weeks now and each stage is similar to the last, except the enemy base has 1000 more hp.
All my cats looks like they are on a potent mix of prozac and extacy.
Why are all the cats so firmly entrenched in the uncanny valley?
This game is from like 2011, how the gently caress is the UI so bad still?
Im barely getting any free freemium currency, i thought the standard for these gacha games was to at least give out a few free rare pulls but so far i have only gotten 1, which got me some sort of baseball anime chick with Ray Man floating style fists.
Every time i log on i am getting bombarded by several screens of what looks like some sort of event, which aparently rewards some amazing cats, theres a whole screen of new cats in each of these events and there has been like 20 different ones since i started a few weeks ago, yet all this seems to be unavailable to me. I am still plodding around on the map which is apparently Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Once you accept Battle Cats, it will all make sense.