Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Steam, why are you installing 20GB again :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

in beta at least this is because bardin's poo poo gave him a guaranteed crit coming out of stealth (or functionally so, anyway, according to the dummies in the keep) - dunno if this has changed since apparently a lot has changed in the release version.

I don't think this has ever been true

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I think he meant kruber

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

quote:

:v2: Patch 1.0.1 :v2:

Bug fixes:

Fixed issue with too many Grimoires on level Fort Brachsenbrücke.
Enabled Twitch game mode.
Fix for knockdown bleed persisting even after being revived, causing rapid health loss followed by death.
Fixed looping sound issue when presenting mission end experience summary.
Fixed issues with hat icons.

Trait balancing:

Resourceful Sharpshooter: Reduced cooldown reduction from 5% to 2%.
Resourceful Combatant: Reduced cooldown reduction from 5% to 2%.
Hand of Shallya: Reduced healing from healing ally with First Aid Kit from 80% to 35% of missing health.
Barrage: Fixed bug causing it to stack up to 10 times instead of intended 5.

RIP anyone using that now.

(from last page)

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Bardin's Smoke Bomb, while he stayed in the smoke, gave him guaranteed crits on ranged attacks. I don't know how it works now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lunethex posted:

RIP anyone using that now.

Does the HoS heal on yourself clear being downed like heal sharing did in the first game?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Does the HoS heal on yourself clear being downed like heal sharing did in the first game?

Yes, which is its only real use now. Still better than most necklace traits though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Chaos Spawns can also suck my fresh nuts

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Bosses in general are huge pains in the rear end. They sometimes take so long to chip down that thw game sends a "hurry the gently caress up" horde + specials combo at you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

If the rapier is not an option, the falchion tends to be my number 2. It's fast, it cleaves decently well, it has a good anti stormvermin/chaos warrior charged attack.

Something about the attack speed of the falchion throws me off, though I admit it's probably the best melee weapon of Saltz that isn't the rapier. For the record, the only reason I'm not using the rapier as Zealot is because, well...it looks dumb on him in particular. A near-flagellant shouldn't be using a pointy sword of elegance!!

Night10194 posted:

Try Saltzpyre's hatchet again if you didn't like it before. It can hit multiple Slaves now, and it sends the big guys loving flying.

Ooh, that's great news. Always wondered about the axe since it seemed over-specialized to the point of absurdity.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well if anyone comes up with some decent Kruber builds let us know, because ATM I really feel weak compared to others.

It also maybe because I'm playing at 340 power in Champion with 400's

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Well what do you want to do as Kruber? Merc and Foot Knight are still good at a cursory glance. His weapons seem intact enough. I have major Halberd bias but his shotgun is still pretty good. Haven't tried Repeater to see if they toned that nauseous recoil down though.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Hey if I play as the shade is it still cool to use a spear or should I just something like double daggers? Also is the shade repeating crossbow any good? Haven’t actually gotten around to trying that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure how I feel about The Elf's nerfed regen. On one side the regen is pretty strong on recruit and veteran. On the flip side they basically broke 2 other talents with this change.

Changing the % on crit traits kinda blows two. I loved having my F ability up a lot :(

Rayjenkins posted:

Hey if I play as the shade is it still cool to use a spear or should I just something like double daggers? Also is the shade repeating crossbow any good? Haven’t actually gotten around to trying that.

I've been enjoying the Shade a LOT w/ dual daggers. I've played around with the spear and I find it's not as good at opening cans like the daggers are and the movement while attacking doesn't feel as fast or as smooth. I really need to get a good Orange spear to really test out.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 9, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rayjenkins posted:

The spear is just not compatible with the motivation to backstab. Even when I make conscious efforts to get behind with it and try to take advantage of Backstab the fact of the matter is I have no idea how and when it activates and how much more damage I do with it and the weapon is designed to be a controller's dream. You also lose out on the crit rate of dual wield weapons - Elf dual wield weapons have +10% crit chance on light swings, and the shade gets +5% innately. You kill most enemies instantly on crit backstabs, so S&D or Dual Daggers is best there.

The Elf Volley Bow I haven't tried yet. It needs a fire rate brought up to Saltzpyre's. It also sucks rear end compared to his overall because its alt fire is a 3-round burst that doesn't fire horizontally with recoil that makes bursting anything in the head near impossible. You need Scrounger on it too, so that you can actually get ammo back while using it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Picked this up yesterday on the GMG sale and am excited to return to the rat race as an angry skinny man screaming at the others to FIGHT HARDER for the S-Man while making pejorative comments about elves.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Heard some things about the beam staff so I crafted one up and gave it a spin.
First match: man this thing sucks, the beam stagger is nice but the damage is a joke. Oh the alt fire does more damage now that's nice.
Second match: oh poo poo they put beam detonate back in?!?! * Snap headshot every boss/special from across the map*
I won't have the most kills but generally I'll do the most damage on bosses and special kills.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lunethex posted:

The Elf Volley Bow I haven't tried yet. It needs a fire rate brought up to Saltzpyre's. It also sucks rear end compared to his overall because its alt fire is a 3-round burst that doesn't fire horizontally with recoil that makes bursting anything in the head near impossible. You need Scrounger on it too, so that you can actually get ammo back while using it.

It doesn't help that the hagbane is so good at CC and horde elimination, coupled with the Shades ability to delete a problem elite even when a horde is active makes it even more difficult to use anything but.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about The Elf's nerfed regen. On one side the regen is pretty strong on recruit and veteran. On the flip side they basically broke 2 other talents with this change.

Changing the % on crit traits kinda blows two. I loved having my F ability up a lot :(

I've been enjoying the Shade a LOT w/ dual daggers. I've played around with the spear and I find it's not as good at opening cans like the daggers are and the movement while attacking doesn't feel as fast or as smooth. I really need to get a good Orange spear to really test out.

Lunethex posted:

The spear is just not compatible with the motivation to backstab. Even when I make conscious efforts to get behind with it and try to take advantage of Backstab the fact of the matter is I have no idea how and when it activates and how much more damage I do with it and the weapon is designed to be a controller's dream. You also lose out on the crit rate of dual wield weapons - Elf dual wield weapons have +10% crit chance on light swings, and the shade gets +5% innately. You kill most enemies instantly on crit backstabs, so S&D or Dual Daggers is best there.

Yeah I had a feeling double daggers was the better bet. The one thing I really like about the spear is you’re so drat fast and versatile with charged attacks and the range is great but that ends up being counter to how the shade operates.

I guess I’ll just have to mess around with the repeater some time tonight then.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tarantula posted:

Playing on recruit my group is already struggling somehow, get to the barn door, here comes the wave, no problem right? Nah time to let the troll out at the same time. :psyduck:

On recruit had a Spawn of Chaos bust out of the barn, one leech and two gunners appeared then in the space of 30 seconds.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Malkof posted:

Heard some things about the beam staff so I crafted one up and gave it a spin.
First match: man this thing sucks, the beam stagger is nice but the damage is a joke. Oh the alt fire does more damage now that's nice.
Second match: oh poo poo they put beam detonate back in?!?! * Snap headshot every boss/special from across the map*
I won't have the most kills but generally I'll do the most damage on bosses and special kills.

Hell yes, I main BW atm and use a beam staff only.
Its great on incoming hordes, wave it about at head height to get a crit or ten, setting them on fire to bleed down.
Then the front line finishes them off with one or two hits less than needed.
And for me its easier to control overcharge with a beam staff than any other.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Try Saltzpyre's hatchet again if you didn't like it before. It can hit multiple Slaves now, and it sends the big guys loving flying.

Man, you were not kidding: this thing wrecks whatever it hits. I noticed that it seems to carry its damage across more dudes than even the 2H hander sword (ie. it loses less damage as it passes through targets). Even if it stops at three, those three fuckers are going to be hurting, and definitely dead if you headshot them. And of course, it's still his best can-opener so Warriors are not a problem. A vet run of Empire in Flames went smoothly (also noticed there might be a new guaranteed heal room right before the cart run), so I hope it'll do well in an actual game.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Picked this up yesterday and started up the bright wizard even though magical casters are not usually my thing in games. I haven't seen anyone talking about her melee-focused class. Any good or fun?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kruber handgun doesn't do much damage, even as Huntsman. It takes 5 headshots with it to kill a Chaos Warrior? It does about no damage to Bosses, but it does kill lines of mooks rather well. It'd be nice if it could at least kill Chaos Champions with one headshot-- it already kills Stormvermin.

I use sword, no shield because it's good at taking out hordes and Halberd is really poo poo at anything other than hitting a dude that's already focused on a friend.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It seems like all of the falchion's light attacks are armor piercing now? In VT1, it was only the overhead.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Bardin's Smoke Bomb, while he stayed in the smoke, gave him guaranteed crits on ranged attacks. I don't know how it works now.

maybe for like, a day in closed beta

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm working on my Merc play now Hunter is gutted.

I'm still a big fan of Executioner Sword/Halberd and then just taking either shotty or handgun but I feel like everyone else in my group is either hitting bosses harder or is killing poo poo before I get into melee range (thanks to my bud playing Pyromancer)

Is this normal or am I loving something up?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I haven't checked after the release day patch but I've used my smoke bomb as Bardin to shotgun a couple of Warriors to death, so I assume it still definitely grants armor-piercing shots, if not a damage buff and/or guaranteed crits. I don't think it ever gave melee crits like Hunter's Prowl used to do for Kruber though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm still a big fan of Executioner Sword/Halberd and then just taking either shotty or handgun but I feel like everyone else in my group is either hitting bosses harder or is killing poo poo before I get into melee range (thanks to my bud playing Pyromancer)

Executioner sword is more of a wide swing horde mincer 9000, so that's probably normal.

And a good Sienna can do that in spades, sure. Just... it's a bit of a crapshoot as you need gear to be a good Sienna unlike everyone else.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Martout posted:

lol first attempt at champion since launch spawned a horde, two ratling gunners, a chaos warrior patrol, a globadier, an assassin and a troll at the first barn on against the grain.

it did not go well and I took it a little personally tbh

bolt staff with heat sink feels absolutely ridiculously strong since the fix to huntsman and BH, heat sink is probably getting nerfed when the masses discover it

I rather like my combo. I have a flamethrower with ability cooldown on crit, and the talent that resets my heat every time I ult. This basically means flamethrowering more than 1 enemy instantly resets my ult which resets my heat which means more fire which means etc etc etc. It just murders.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Summary of my experiences in Champion

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Assuming everyone's game still says beta in the upper corner?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

track day bro! posted:

A friend of mine recommended this game to me because I like Killing Floor 2 except its more melee focused?

A bunch of us KF2 devs are having a blast with it, if that's any indication, but I will say it's definitely more Left 4 Dead than Killing Floor.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I've been playing Knight with sword/shield and blunderbuss. I'm not really bowling things over and getting double the damage of anything else, but I have tons of stamina, provide -20% damage taken, and the charge has a really short cooldown. I wish the charge would do damage, but it's really pretty great crowd control. It'll even knock over chaos warriors! It also staggers bosses for a split second, which can be good for loving with puking trolls or a spawn that's about to nab someone.

I've sacrificed some killing power for an absurd amount of staying power. I think since I don't necessarily score kills frequently enough to fill up on temp health, I might be better off with the health on crit or health on boss kills, but I'll have to play with that a bit

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game is definitely way more along the lines of left 4 dead to the point of many of the things involved having a pretty close comparison to something in l4d but it should scratch some of the same itches that killing floor does, i feel

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Radioactive Toy posted:

Picked this up yesterday and started up the bright wizard even though magical casters are not usually my thing in games. I haven't seen anyone talking about her melee-focused class. Any good or fun?

Fun yes, good, great in veteran, falls off a little beyond that, incredibly tanky if you can avoid overheating since you have effectively 50% more HP and your temp health lasts 2x longer since half of the decay goes to heat, the tankiness let's you breeze through the lower difficulties.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

toasterwarrior posted:

OK, this Rapier/Crossbow quickswitch combo for Bounty Hunter Saltzpyre is aces; I can recommend it. Still have to figure out a weapon of choice for Zealot Saltz though...

Rockin a falchion and volley crossbow on zealot. Dont use the 3 hit volley, just stun lock distant specials and kill em with 2 to 3 bolts

I know they wanted people to use the flail but meh

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Skypie posted:

I've been playing Knight with sword/shield and blunderbuss. I'm not really bowling things over and getting double the damage of anything else, but I have tons of stamina, provide -20% damage taken, and the charge has a really short cooldown. I wish the charge would do damage, but it's really pretty great crowd control. It'll even knock over chaos warriors! It also staggers bosses for a split second, which can be good for loving with puking trolls or a spawn that's about to nab someone.

I've sacrificed some killing power for an absurd amount of staying power. I think since I don't necessarily score kills frequently enough to fill up on temp health, I might be better off with the health on crit or health on boss kills, but I'll have to play with that a bit

I would really recommend the handgun over the blunderbus. It's kinda sketchy to use when you're not a howitzer and the handgun can reliably one hit specials. Matter of taste, obv.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Any video settings to not get lightning strikes? Theyre killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Wow, CDR and Shallya's trinket got gutted. Guess it's Natural Bond, then. :(