Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Josh Lyman posted:

"Remember how great that musical episode of Buffy was?" -The Magicians showrunners a couple episodes ago.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

I thought he was for this season.

Also he was offpage for a lot of books 2 and 3. While he was in the same class as Quentin and others, he didn't have the same prominence as everyone else.

But that doesn't matter - the show is better with this version of Josh. He's a great foil for the rest of the cast being completely up their own asses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh was kind of a dick this episode.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Josh was kind of a dick this episode.

I don't think so. If being a dick is calling people out when you think they've ignored (wronged) you and their response is to initially ignore your feelings and just go after what they deem important instead of having an conversation with you. Then yes, Josh was a huge loving dick.

But maybe I relate to Josh in the episode too much. I can relate to when people forget to actually include you for drinks or dinner and instead being an afterthought. For some of them a few days later asking, "why weren't you there?"

The indifference part strikes really true.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

He is one, isn't he? He's just on one of those regular contracts that sets his appearances at less than the number of episodes in the season. Fairly common these days.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

geeves posted:

I don't think so. If being a dick is calling people out when you think they've ignored (wronged) you and their response is to initially ignore your feelings and just go after what they deem important instead of having an conversation with you. Then yes, Josh was a huge loving dick.

Yes that's one of the surefire tells that you're being a huge dick. "It's not about you" is one of those things dicks have a hard time coming to grips with.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

that was a fun ep, this season has been enjoyable

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

User posted:

Yes that's one of the surefire tells that you're being a huge dick. "It's not about you" is one of those things dicks have a hard time coming to grips with.

Especially when like, he isn't really one of their friends though, is he? He's just some guy with a totally different life who they met by chance, who tends to gently caress off and go get high whenever possible. Dude has been depicted in the show as being popular outside of the main characters, too; why the hell WOULD any of them spend much time on pandering to him.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkYxpwlPEw

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Whalley posted:

Especially when like, he isn't really one of their friends though, is he? He's just some guy with a totally different life who they met by chance, who tends to gently caress off and go get high whenever possible. Dude has been depicted in the show as being popular outside of the main characters, too; why the hell WOULD any of them spend much time on pandering to him.

That's not what Josh thought tho. The whole theme of this episode (as is a broader theme of the series) is that these magicians need each other if they want to succeed - that they shouldn't just write someone off and that to save the world (magic) they need to save each other. This show goes to some dark places, but it keeps that speck of hope alive.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I think the joke is that Josh is actually a "friend" to all of them in ways that the rest actually aren't towards one another. He just genuinely wants to help out and have a good time, and does his best in both regards. Everybody else is to one degree or another a super lovely at being a friend (outside of the various pairings/alternate reality gay marriages).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've always thought of Josh as an acquaintance. I never got the impression that he really wanted to join their friendship group.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The moral of the story is that they need to help and trust each other to succeed.

Which is why Elliott immediately told Alice to gently caress off once they solved their immediate problem, as if he didn’t learn anything, because he didn’t.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

I've always thought of Josh as an acquaintance. I never got the impression that he really wanted to join their friendship group.

Everyone wants a friend who can make cookies that break the space/time continuum.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Well Hale Appelman is pretty much the only one of them that can actually sing. They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.

You don't seriously believe anybody sang on camera? While doing all the choreography? Everything was 100% guaranteed pre-recorded in a recording studio.

My main complaint was that easily their best singer from the Les Mis number (Fen) didn't get to sing here.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The moral of the story is that they need to help and trust each other to succeed.

Which is why Elliott immediately told Alice to gently caress off once they solved their immediate problem, as if he didn’t learn anything, because he didn’t.

I'm assuming you meant Quinton there?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

muscles like this! posted:

Well Hale Appelman is pretty much the only one of them that can actually sing. They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.
I think they dubbed her with her own voice though. Like, yeah it really didn't seem to sync up at all which made it seem off, but that should be her voice; here's her singing on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9-SZgOUCo

She was really good and Elliott wasn't bad but also this ep just had a few songs, it wasn't like everything they said was in song, which I think i remember them doing in an earlier episode. So I guess I mean i didn't really see it as a musical episode exactly anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josh was being kind of a dick and ignoring the bigger issue for his feelings, but like it was a sympathetic thing because everyone else are huge dicks. But also Josh is just kind of the guy they found in Fillory who ditched them when they were facing danger and they've had a lot to deal with since.

But as was pointed out Julia actually did call him back and Josh didn't call her back. So really it was about Josh wanting to be one of the cool kids more than him actually being upset that everyone was being a dick to him.

So everyone is a dick. And Julia's the best even though she's been raped by demons and mind raped by the school.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I'm not sure I buy that kids that age would be familiar with Queen and Bowie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Queen and Bowie are timeless. They weren't in their primes during my formative years but I still loved (and love) their music.
Its like saying they wouldn't like Elvis or the Beatles. Maybe they wouldn't all but some kids will always find the legends.

And storywise the plot was that Josh and Kady were into Bowie and Quentin just stuck the lyrics into everyone's heads.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

So because a demon told them they needed to stick together they should trust Alice who again and again and again has stabbed them in the back to get what she wants?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

cjg posted:

This is an odd comment.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

So because a demon told them they needed to stick together they should trust Alice who again and again and again has stabbed them in the back to get what she wants?

That was Julia last season, and she's back in it all, despite having done nothing to redeem herself. I completely forgot until this week that I hated last season.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Nihonniboku posted:

Still can't believe he was Frasier's son on Frasier, appearing on pretty much every season.

scanners.gif

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 10, 2018

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

That was Julia last season, and she's back in it all, despite having done nothing to redeem herself. I completely forgot until this week that I hated last season.

Julia had a not selfish and well known reason for her actions, they just happened to run counter to the group's interests for a while. That has been resolved and is not an issue any more.

Alice was caught in the library just last episode. Has (at least so far) no reason other than "I want", and has proven herself completely untrustworthy for the time being.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Maybe. But they've kind of positioned themselves in the show with pretty much being able to do whatever they want now. They also had the cast sing a song from Les Mis last season.

I'm not even a fan of Les Mis but I liked that one number better than this ep in its entirety (which wasn't bad, just underwhelming).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Okay I'm confused by three things and thank you to whoever clarifies for me.

- "Okay, the 'not' thing is kinda arch." What does this expression mean?

- Who is it running this test that the joy-junkie was referring to? Or do we just not know yet?

- "Really?" Wait, why is Alice slamming this book into Q's hands? Was his stare at her after she picked up the book a "hey, please give us the book because we can't trust you" stare? Because even for him that was way subtler than usual and I didn't understand it at all until I started skimming this thread just now.

And just for fun, I'm curious if the book's replacement of the letter 's' with 'f' is just a weird old-timey thing (which wouldn't make sense because it still says "seven keys" in the title) or somehow a clue for the next key quest.
Also, side-note, I really disliked how awfully dubbed that singing was. Penny was best singer though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DaveKap posted:

Archaic? That usage of "not" is pretty 90s, like much of Fillorians' knowledge of earth, after all.

DaveKap posted:

And just for fun, I'm curious if the book's replacement of the letter 's' with 'f' is just a weird old-timey thing (which wouldn't make sense because it still says "seven keys" in the title) or somehow a clue for the next key quest.

Yeah that was a thing. There were rules on when the long s was appropriate; it wasn't a full on substitution, so I think using a big normal s as a capital letter is right.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DaveKap posted:

graded adjective
If you say that someone is arch, you are criticizing them for talking or behaving as if they are better or more important than other people.
[disapproval]
Their attempts to be casual have so far just looked arch or patronising.
archly graded adverb
'You can't fool me,' Shirley said archly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's accusing him of being a camp as hell villain, basically.

Which is a bit rich given that it's coming from a one eyed fag hag and her BGF and fellow usurper king

(Remind me, Margot was a king, right? And Quentin and Alice were crowned queen?)

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
My only complaint about this episode is that it was billed as a musical episode for the past month on instagram and then there were only 3 songs. I was really expecting "Once More with Magicians". Really enjoyed it otherwise though!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's accusing him of being a camp as hell villain, basically.

Which is a bit rich given that it's coming from a one eyed fag hag and her BGF and fellow usurper king

Tick really is that camp though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nihonniboku posted:

I think everyone is giving her a free pass because of what happened to her, and the fact she didn't have a soul at the time she went on the murder rampage.

It's kind of like in Star Trek when they bump across an alien of the week that makes one of the crew go around murdering people but everyone just writes it off as just the price of doing business in space with magic.

cjg posted:

Thanks to the easy access of music from every generation, I think people today have much broader era-listening habits. At least I do.

My playlist literally runs from the 1940s to last week.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think everyone is giving her a free pass because of what happened to her, and the fact she didn't have a soul at the time she went on the murder rampage.

It's kind of like in Star Trek when they bump across an alien of the week that makes one of the crew go around murdering people but everyone just writes it off as just the price of doing business in space with magic.

Thanks to the easy access of music from every generation, I think people today have much broader era-listening habits. At least I do.

My playlist literally runs from the 1940s to last week.

The music thing is 100%. Queen and Bowie are as timeless as Bach and Mozart now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DaveKap posted:

- "Really?" Wait, why is Alice slamming this book into Q's hands? Was his stare at her after she picked up the book a "hey, please give us the book because we can't trust you" stare? Because even for him that was way subtler than usual and I didn't understand it at all until I started skimming this thread just now.

I don't think it is because they don't trust Alice, it's just that he was annoyed with her for trying to take control after she ditched out of the last couple of keys.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
alice has been the most dangerous and self-centered element of the crew since season 1, her tight tops and crazy eyes just tend to distract the audience from that

part of trust is knowing each other's limitations and Slytherin Hermoine should not be trusted with key quest ingredients unsupervised, lest they play into her worst impulses

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
She basically admitted as much the last few episodes.
"Wanted to see the pretty lights."
"I knew everything!"
"Unified theory of Magic"

Being a Niffin was basically the realization of her life's ambition, she's gonna end the world with her own two hands if it means she can go back to that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's 100% because they just found Alice in the library after she refused to help them and she refuses to tell them what she was doing there. Quentin doesn't trust her for good reason.

I actually think its an interesting side affect of the Mossiac that I was hoping would come into play. Quentin's had enough time to love and lose and love and lose that he's over the drama with Alice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skippy McPants posted:

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.

it's the best drat show on television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Skippy McPants posted:

First season is a little too edgy dawnson's creek is hogworts but the tone changes eventually and it is now a weird and interesting show about addiction and cosmic nihilism featuring experimental story-telling and musical numbers, so your mileage may vary!