Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Magnusth posted:

I'll be updating later today or tomorrow. voting's still open, but it seems like plan slaan is winning.

Plan slaan voters: as it stands, your terms will also be understood as 'until death or surrender,' unless you have anything you want to add to your vote.

I'm fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Or incapacitation, obviously

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C sure yeah

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

You speak up.
“When I win, you will surrender those four guards, and leave this wing of the prison. You won't win, but if you somehow did, you would gain these for guards and our mage as prisoners, for ransom, and we will leave. Agreed?”

At this, Gallus is about to speak up in protest, but before he can even get a word out, Ahaz gives him a pommel in the stomach and tells him that this is redguard business and to stay out. Of course, the other guards and the mage all raise their weapons and spells, eyes shifting back and forth between you, Gallus, the enemy and the other prisoners. Before anything can happen though, Gallus raises a hand and calls them, telling them to step back, which they do, however reluctantly. He then steps up to you and whisper in your ear.
“ I hope you know what you're doing,” he says, in a tone of apprehension, with a hint of… threat? An unspoken “... For your sake,” perhaps?

You nod back to him, and turn to your op opponent, ripping the arrow out of your shoulder as you do. He furrows his brow as you do, and holds up a fist.
“Have your mage see too that,” he tells you, and you nod. Your mage steps forward and touches shoulder with a golden light, and you feel your shoulder relax and heal, the small wounds itching like crazy as it closes, eventually leaving just a small scar and a small sore patch.
That done everyone moves to the side, and now it's just you facing your opponent at 20 paces, sword in hand. You can expect your opponent to fight aggressively, quickly, and relying on speed and strength, based on his build and what you know of alik’r culture.

What do you do?
A:
I do mostly the same, attacking aggressively and relying on speed, though more on speed and agility than speed and strength, as my bills is lighter than his.

B: A, but I abandon defense entirely, attacking with a powerful but risky strike.

C: I take a defensive stance, ready to dodge and sidestep, hoping to find a weakness to sink my blade into.

D: C, but a more defensive stance. I'm not hoping to get in a strike, not yet, I'm simply hoping to understand his fighting style in better detail, to better chose a tactic and spot weakness in his style.

E: I attack, but feint, hoping to use my likely superior speed to fake him out and force him into a false defense.

F: I allow the wait to come to me, then cut him down with the Havoc Channel. With it, my blades will be in multiple places at once, overcoming any defense and cutting my opponent down no matter how aggressively he attacks. This will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques, and will have been the last sort of true sword-singing I’ve learnt.
Using this skill is mentally and physically taxing

G: I make a long-and-short-cut, stepping through space to appear in front of my enemy in an instant, inside his guard, beyond his reach, where i can easily strike him down. This will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques, and will have been the last sort of true sword-singing I've learnt.

H: I attack aggressively, but instead of relying on mundane skills, I make use of the Ephemeral Feint, famously taught to men by Leki, so that they could settle on who was the most powerful. With it, my sword will momentarily become a ghost-sword, the memory of sword and pass through all it touches, which will let you get around the mage's guards and sword. This will have taken time to learn, but it is a… basic skill, so to speak, of aberrant swordsmanship, and i will have had time to learn another skill, equally taxing.

I: I allow him to come to me, then effortlessly outflank him with the Vectoring Cygnet, by which, cutting any degree but the true one, i can sever the air above and beneath me to rise as do the birds and the mages do. This will have taken time to learn, but it is a… basic skill, so to speak, of aberrant swordsmanship, and i will have had time to learn another skill, equally taxing.

J: I take on a specific defensive stance, the Tempest Attrition. Playing the sword-song of the world to the rythm set by my opponent’s heartbeat, any attack may, with sufficient speed, be countered, and I am very fast with my blade. This will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques, and will have been the last sort of true sword-singing I've learnt.

K: Striking at 80 grams and an untrue degree, I make use of the Bone Shaver. With it, distance is shown to be a lie, and my blade will dig into my opponent’s flesh while he still stands on the opposite side of the room. This will have taken time to learn, but it is a… basic skill, so to speak, of aberrant swordsmanship, and i will have had time to learn another skill, equally taxing.

L: I take up the greatest of all defensive stances, the premeditated modesty. By five strikes within the space of a heartbeat, made with all the care of tapping one’s fingers in boredom, I protect my cardinal points perfectly, for both heart and mind and soul, such that only the denial of being itself can overcome it. This will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques, and will have been the last sort of true sword-singing I've learnt.

M:The Pankratosword. Arc the bones that do not bend; cut the uncuttable, the atomos, with the almighty sword, and bring ruin to all your enemies in a great city-destroying, island-sinking, civilization-overturning conflagation of fire and fury which leaves nothing but ash and shadows burnt into the walls.

This technique is forbidden and forgotten, and you do not know it. If you did know it, you still could not perform it, for its use means death to all who see, from one horizon to the other, you included

N: Something else? Write it in!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

H

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
G

I want a top tier mobility skill, dammit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
M :unsmigghh:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This seems like a very strange time to detonate a suicide nuke.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Can I get a little clarification on what you mean by 80 grams?

I'm having trouble picturing it.

For now: H.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
N WHAT IS THAT DISTRACTION BEHIND YOU! Kick 'em in the nuts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ralith posted:

G

I want a top tier mobility skill, dammit.

This would be p. cool yeah.

Also cool, a "cut from a distance" power, or the power for one's sword to be in many places at once, or the power to phase one's sword through defenses to cut directly into flesh, or

I'm glad this is approval voting because I approve of a lot of things.
FGHKL

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

FGHIJKL. All of those are great and we should bust out some Aberrant-as Swordsmanship on this dude to assert our dominance.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Most of these powers are great for killing a guy that's standing nearby. Being able to teleport at will is great for so, so many other things.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C- We may need the flexibility to "learn" a technique later

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CDFGHIJKL

It all looks pretty great, honestly. Let's off this guy though.

If we use K though we need to use it to cut off all of his fingers and just wonder aloud why he dropped his sword during a duel.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Slaan posted:

C- We may need the flexibility to "learn" a technique later

A lot of the techniques give us some degree of flexibility.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Preferentially, G, then everything else because it all looks awesome and I'd be fine with any one option winning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ralith does make a pretty good case for being able to anime teleport. It does have non combat utility, too.

Hell, if Faridah uses it for sneaky poo poo, that's some straight Dishonored business right there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

G.

Yes, I know it's still approval voting, but I really really really want to blinkstep.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Faridah gonna be a teleporting Nubian ninja woman

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I actually hated the teleport ability in Dishonored and only used it as a last resort. I was the type of Thief player who never used a water arrow if it could be avoided but also blackjacked the entire map and made piles of guards in compromising positions. Fancy Tools and Abilities are for chumps! You should only use the shadows and your own capacity to smack dudes upside the head! :shepicide:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

I actually hated the teleport ability in Dishonored and only used it as a last resort. I was the type of Thief player who never used a water arrow if it could be avoided but also blackjacked the entire map and made piles of guards in compromising positions. Fancy Tools and Abilities are for chumps! You should only use the shadows and your own capacity to smack dudes upside the head! :shepicide:

I too feel an almost uncontrollable compulsion to cosh everyone on a map and pile their unconscious bodies into a heap in a dark room

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blasphemaster posted:

It's not about being professional

It's about being an rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Xarbala posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

You see him set off towards you as expected, but before he's even put his foot down, your sword is already singing. You move it in a single stoke that wavers, once, holding it at a precise angle both as to how it bends from your arm and from the floor and roof, and also how you turn it this way and then that, producing a single note that becomes one-and-then-two, throwing itself as a cut in front of your enemy, two cuts that are one, a long-and-short cut, and your sword moves with it.

Your sword rings out with a pure note that splits in two, one here, one there; and moving with your sword, your short cut becomes your long cut and you-

The note breaks as -

Your scimitar hits his; you're half a foot further from him than planned. You see him up closer now; there's panic on his face, and he has hastily brought up his sword to defend against your teleporting attack, successfully so. You land on you feet, and he swings at you; you move back a half-step and bat his sword to the side.

The fact that he was able to deflect your long-and-short-cut shows that he has… some skill, at least, in propper sword-singing, though he is clearly far more afraid of you now. His stance has shifted, become more defensive, and he's clearly reappraising you and your skill. You are within a half-step and lunge from planting your sword in his heart.

What do you do?
A:
Attack agressively! We're both using scimitars and light armor, a style which favors attack over defense. He's on the defense, so I press the advantage!

B: I attack, but more cautiously. Judging from his fear, it's unlikely that he knows more sword-singing or aberrant swordsmanship, but i can't be sure, and even if he doesn't, being able to parry my attack shows significant skill with swordsmanship in general and i can still be defeated by a blade in my gut without any sword of mystic abilities.

C:
I attack, heedlessly. He's afraid, and might well break under a forceful attack, allow me to cut him open.

D: I take a step back, reasses. He's clearly more skilled than i had expected, so taking a few moments to read his stance and his style better might help keep me alive longer.

E:
I make use of my abarrent swordsmanship to pummel him into submission! Teleporting over and over again from one side to the other, front, back, above him, one side then the next in an unpredictable pattern will allow me to not only attack in an incredibly powerful and unpredictable way, but also continuously move me out of the way from a riposte.
Doing this will be incredibly taxing, and once i am done, it's not sure i'll be able to stand, though i will almost certainly win the duel.

F: I demand that he yield before my clearly supperior grasp of swordsmanship.

G: D/F with a twist.. Step back for a few moments and slowly stalk a circle around him. "Something something you have potential. Yadda yadda yield, submit, and be taught." Give him a bit to consider. The duel is still on. We're just giving him the chance to live and learn instead of becoming compost or whatever.

H: Something else! write in!

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 11, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well now, it's not that Faridah missed, it's that he managed to backstep and parry at just the right time to stop her from mercing him. I can respect that in an opponent, though I'm wary of using all of Faridah's energy to defeat a single opponent as part of a larger running battle.

AB, though I prefer A more, as the conditions seem to favor going on the offensive and using superior skill to win the day over this guy's greater mass.

Blasphemaster posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Right?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Well now, it's not that Faridah missed, it's that he managed to backstep and parry at just the right time to stop her from mercing him.

He didn't backstep. He seems to have known juuuuust enough sword-singing to parry your long cut as a part of your long-and-short-cut?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magnusth posted:

He didn't backstep. He seems to have known juuuuust enough sword-singing to parry your long cut as a part of your long-and-short-cut?

Ah, okay.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
A - keep the initiative!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

G. D/F with a twist.. Step back for a few moments and slowly stalk a circle around him. "Something something you have potential. Yadda yadda yield, submit, and be taught." Give him a bit to consider. Neither of us may speak to anyone not in the duel. The duel is still on. We're just giving him the chance to live and learn instead of becoming compost or whatever.

Essentially give him the Elder Scrolls version of the Darth vs. luke spiel without all the implied evil.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 11, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AB

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Blasphemaster posted:

G. D/F with a twist.. Step back for a few moments and slowly stalk a circle around him. "Something something you have potential. Yadda yadda yield, submit, and be taught." Give him a bit to consider. Neither of us may speak to anyone not in the duel. The duel is still on. We're just giving him the chance to live and learn instead of becoming compost or whatever.

Essentially give him the Elder Scrolls version of the Darth vs. luke spiel without all the implied evil.

Added as G! H is the new write-in letter. one note though: you are allowed to speak to people not in the duel, though you obviously cannot command them to do anything that might break the duel, nor ask them to attack your opponent's forces or anything like that. saying anything that isn't strictly nessesary is concidered a grave insult to your opponent, however.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Magnusth posted:

Added as G! H is the new write-in letter. one note though: you are allowed to speak to people not in the duel, though you obviously cannot command them to do anything that might break the duel, nor ask them to attack your opponent's forces or anything like that. saying anything that isn't strictly nessesary is concidered a grave insult to your opponent, however.
I thought as much regarding speaking. We're the focus, STFU talking to your chump buddies etc.

That Dishonored gameplay video is
..kinda what we're doing though, isn't it?

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 11, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Word, G

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Xarbala posted:

A is for rear end in a top hat.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

A.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ABEG

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Update probably tomorrow, though i'd like to see a few more votes before i close voting.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hmmm, lets be aggressive but not too aggressive. B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
G. Not sure what to do once we have a personal army, but those cocksuckers in Falkreath got lippy once. Once too many.

• Locked thread