Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
hey look what just arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

hey look what just arrived

hell yeah

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JT has loving ice in his veins holy poo poo what a shot on 18

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/970419068476862464

:stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yo Justin Thomas gonna win The Masters

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Yo Justin Thomas gonna win The Masters

Mickelson has been playing really well the last couple months too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'd take Phil over JT right now. He's been playing great, with an eye towards Augusta. But, he said he needed a win before Augusta to really push him up, and he just took one of the great young ones on and won.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Final group Sunday at the Masters, Phil and Tiger, sponsored by Osteobiflex.

It won't happen but it would be so much fun to see them turn back the clock.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There's so much talk about how golf is transitioning into a young mans game and the new breed and all that but then you get Phil winning today and Tiger being competitive in two tournaments after not playing for a year and having 69 back surgeries.

Phil is a once in a generation golfer, unfortunately his generation intersected with Tiger's.

There's all this talk about how there are so many good young golfers who can win majors now but 47 year old Phil just beat a dude half his age and Tiger is finishing top 25 in full field events after not playing for a year and having the aforementioned funny number surgeries.

I guess for our generation Phil is Arnie to Tiger's Jack.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mean Tiger is either 1 or 2 GOAT and Phil is #14 in majors but he 11 runner ups, second only to Jack so I would argue he's probably top 10 all time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean Tiger is either 1 or 2 GOAT and Phil is #14 in majors but he 11 runner ups, second only to Jack so I would argue he's probably top 10 all time.

I'm not a Phil fan but I can respect the ability of a guy who has won 5 majors and 43 times on the PGA Tour. He's absolutely a top 10 golfer of all time. His only crime was being a contemporary of Tiger. The dominance of Tiger in the late 90s and early 2000s I think is overlooked. He's missed the same number of cuts in his career as Jordan Speith, less than Rory, in 22 years. There was a period where he didn't miss a cut for quite literally a decade. I don't think we'll ever see that kind of consistency in a golfer again.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not a Phil fan but I can respect the ability of a guy who has won 5 majors and 43 times on the PGA Tour. He's absolutely a top 10 golfer of all time. His only crime was being a contemporary of Tiger. The dominance of Tiger in the late 90s and early 2000s I think is overlooked. He's missed the same number of cuts in his career as Jordan Speith, less than Rory, in 22 years. There was a period where he didn't miss a cut for quite literally a decade. I don't think we'll ever see that kind of consistency in a golfer again.

We keep quoting the stat but to be in the top 50 for over 20 years in any sport is incredible.

There's a few world beating golfers who would have dominated had it not been for Tiger. Ernie Els was at his absolute peak right when tiger came onto the scene. He just shrugs and says there's nothing anyone could do to compete at the time.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 5, 2018

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Phil is top 5 all time imo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GUYS I HAVE A SERIOUS AND PRESSING QUESTION

Let's say you're moving from a place that has a 12 month golf season like Atlanta to a place that doesn't like DC.

Let's say that you're primarily looking at studios in newer buildings because you're not moving any furniture other than a bed, dresser, desk, and coffee table.

And let's say one of those buildings has a golf simulator.

Would it be worth $150/mo extra for what is basically unlimited range time? The interesting thing is that I wouldn't pay $150 for a real unlimited range membership, yet somehow I'm considering this because it would literally be downstairs.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 5, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
24/7 access? Waitlist/appointment system? Other people using it all the time?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

GUYS I HAVE A SERIOUS AND PRESSING QUESTION

Let's say you're moving from a place that has a 12 month golf season like Atlanta to a place that doesn't like DC.

Let's say that you're primarily looking at studios in newer buildings because you're not moving any furniture other than a bed, dresser, desk, and coffee table.

And let's say one of those buildings has a golf simulator.

Would it be worth $150/mo extra for what is basically unlimited range time? The interesting thing is that I wouldn't pay $150 for a real unlimited range membership, yet somehow I'm considering this because it would literally be downstairs.

Just a note: I lived and worked in the dc area from 97-01 and 2003-2014, and played 12 months a year. Not every weekend, so it isn't true year round golf, but it's doable.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'd use my lob wedge to destroy that light and ceiling. :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'd use my lob wedge to destroy that light and ceiling. :getin:

hahaha i'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'd check the hitting mat and make sure it's a good one. I remember reading a thread on golf WRX who built a simulator in his garage and posted about all the great practice he got in.

Then like six months later posted about the surgery he had on his elbow to repair the damage of hitting thousands of balls off of lightly padded concrete.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DoctaFun posted:

I'd check the hitting mat and make sure it's a good one. I remember reading a thread on golf WRX who built a simulator in his garage and posted about all the great practice he got in.

Then like six months later posted about the surgery he had on his elbow to repair the damage of hitting thousands of balls off of lightly padded concrete.

This is why you just pound drivers all day, duh.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just worked with my new Tour Striker for the first time. Most of my mishits have been toe-thin, but lately I’m hitting chili-dips 3 inches behind the ball. I’m a beginner/intermediate golfer, so WTF do I know.

Anyway, just hit a small bucket at the driving range (short, dry grass, not mats), and my first 20 swings were mostly poo poo, with a couple of straight, high, short hits. So eventually, I’m like gently caress it, I’m going to stop chasing ‘forward shaft lean,’ and just swing it like it’s my 9-iron. My next three swings were: perfect, perfect,fat. So apparently my existing swing is fine...when I don’t gently caress it up. Yes, I know, small sample size.

I have a lesson scheduled next week. Not sure what I need to tell him except “I hit my irons fat.” If this post is unfocused or rambles, I’m in the clubhouse drinking.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Lincoln posted:

I have a lesson scheduled next week. Not sure what I need to tell him except “I hit my irons fat.” If this post is unfocused or rambles, I’m in the clubhouse drinking.

If they know what they're doing I'm sure they'll figure it out right away.

This is a great idea > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2t5IePTOk

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

If they know what they're doing I'm sure they'll figure it out right away.

This is a great idea > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2t5IePTOk

Nice to see them taking some notes out of the European Tour's playbook.

In other news, Tiger is T-2 and in the 2nd to last group tomorrow with Sneds.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys are watching this poo poo right?! We have loving vintage Tiger playing right now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

His short game is ridiculous. If he's even passable off the tee he'll compete in majors this year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mdemone posted:

His short game is ridiculous. If he's even passable off the tee he'll compete in majors this year.

Sunday is the day we'll see if he can keep it together. He's had a couple good rounds earlier. If he shoots competitive with the others in the top 10 tomorrow, he'll win some tournaments. If he wins tomorrow, jesus, watch out.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

daslog posted:

It's still early in his comeback, but he's playing on the level I expected him to. It's going to be almost impossible for him to be competitive ongoing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

torgeaux posted:

Sunday is the day we'll see if he can keep it together. He's had a couple good rounds earlier. If he shoots competitive with the others in the top 10 tomorrow, he'll win some tournaments. If he wins tomorrow, jesus, watch out.

I think Rose is the number one threat tomorrow. If Tiger can outpace him, the tournament is his.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I hope I'm wrong! Golf is much more fun to watch with him in it.

Makes me realize how bland many of the other players are.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mdemone posted:

Ignoring accuracy, his swing yesterday on the 14 tee was 129.2 MPH which is the highest recorded on tour so far this season.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ironlung posted:

Ignoring accuracy, his swing yesterday on the 14 tee was 129.2 MPH which is the highest recorded on tour so far this season.

Some of the numbers the Top Tracer thing records seem wrong, maybe because it's not set up directly behind them or something. Some of the best drives every week show faster swing speeds than they should and have a smash factor of like 1.44/1.45 which is obviously not right. I'm not saying he didn't swing 129 mph but I think it's more likely it was a couple mph slower than that.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Just saw that Tiger has won 62 times out of 69 instances where’s he’s 1 shot back going into the final round? 89.9%. That’s absurd.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol at anyone rooting for some rando Canadian to win over Redemption Tiger

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger in the lead on a sunday!

:feelsgood:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How are they able to superimpose the ball flight of fairway shots? I don’t see a launch monitor anywhere.

Also, just heard some guy yell-singing “Eye of the Tiger.”

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

How are they able to superimpose the ball flight of fairway shots? I don’t see a launch monitor anywhere.

Also, just heard some guy yell-singing “Eye of the Tiger.”

Some sort of portable trackman, setup right behind the golfer.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oh is that the “Top Tracer technology” they keep mentioning?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiger from 44 feet!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Wow Patrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

Wow Patrick.

Yeah that was deeply uncomfortable to watch.