Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jimbot posted:

They really need to tone down the Bile Troll's vomit. It's range and duration is way too long.

The Troll and the Chaos Spawn are really the worst. But then again, it really depends on where they spawn. If you have enough room to dodge, aka a somewhat open area, both are managble.

I agree however that especially the range of the vomit is a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

They really need to tone down the Bile Troll's vomit. It's range and duration is way too long.

How do you even dodge it, I am dodging perpendicular the instant I see it's about to happen and it doesn't matter. how far away I am also makes no distance

the only time I dodged it was when I accidentally dodged diagonally toward the troll which is ??????

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Jimbot posted:

It's weird too. If I get hit directly by it, I might as well lose control of the character. Totally blinded, and you move at about 1 foot every 5 seconds, taking constant damage and stamina drain. If you manage to dodge it then step in it later, it barely slows you down and you can still dodge through it at a slightly reduced speed, and does the damage and stamina drain. But dodging it is entirely RNG on how it spreads on the ground, sometimes it's a line you can avoid, sometimes it covers a huge circle that seems impossible to not get hit by.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jimbot posted:

Honestly, I think that the troll is one of the better of the new minbosses. The warpfire rat is probably the best mechanically, since he has an interesting flanking element to him and the flames are pretty telegraphed, as are the Troll's puke. It's more of an issue in tight spaces of course, but they all are.

IMO the rat ogre is pretty anemic this time around. I shouldn't be *relieved* to see a rat ogre. He is such a simple boss that he doesn't have much to offer.

Chaos spawn is the worst imo. Not that he is hard, just that his model has so many flailing appendages that it's hard to read it. I have no idea what is the cue for the grab attack, and I'm not even sure if it's avoidable. He is really just not fun to fight.

Digirat posted:

How do you even dodge it, I am dodging perpendicular the instant I see it's about to happen and it doesn't matter. how far away I am also makes no distance

the only time I dodged it was when I accidentally dodged diagonally toward the troll which is ??????

It's pretty heavily telegraphed, no? He does a retching windup and freezes in one direction. I generally just strive to circle strafe him and as soon as I see him stop rotating towards someone I make sure I'm out of the way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Trainmonk posted:

So where the cosmetics at? Don't know anyone that has one, haven't seen any, nobody seems to have a straight answer about them.

There are some already, if you had the first game you get everyone's original clothes, but dunno about further ones in the game just yet, I assume they'll be rare drops and stuff like the first since we know there's also that flappy Kruber hat that Huntsman had in the betas.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not even sure if it's avoidable. He is really just not fun to fight.

It is, it's when he does that low forward lunge, once you learn what it looks like it's pretty easy to just step away from every time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, every time I manage to dodge it feels like I just got lucky and was at least 5 miles away. It's also stupid how the Troll can cancel the vomit at any time. They need to add animation priority to these bosses to make them remotely fun to fight. We got downed by one in the cave level and my friend was trying to get us up during the vomit attack because it usually goes on for a while, but the thing would puke for like 2 seconds before move into a full movement and attack him. He couldn't do a single drat thing but block and dodge until he finally died.

The bosses in this game are just badly designed and it's just a matter of figuring out how to cheese kill them with which classes and abilities.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Digirat posted:

i *think* it actually makes a circular splat around the character it's targeted on? meaning it's unavoidable, and regardless will take you a certain time to get out of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Not sure if V1 was the same way, but funny thing I found when messing with bots.

So bots
A) Do not need to be with you to complete objectives
B) Are more than happy to tie up people chasing you
C) Automatically teleport to you once you get far enough away, even if in the middle of a fight.

So if you are grinding XP and want to cheese it's 100% possible to just grab your most pushy weapon and just book it through the map. I did it with against the grain and finished the entire map in about ten minutes, just by running past everything and letting my poor bastard bots take them on until they teleport to me. Yeah they sometimes went down, but they did pretty well for themselves in the meantime, and they respawn quickly.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not sure if V1 was the same way, but funny thing I found when messing with bots.

So bots
A) Do not need to be with you to complete objectives
B) Are more than happy to tie up people chasing you
C) Automatically teleport to you once you get far enough away, even if in the middle of a fight.

So if you are grinding XP and want to cheese it's 100% possible to just grab your most pushy weapon and just book it through the map. I did it with against the grain and finished the entire map in about ten minutes, just by running past everything and letting my poor bastard bots take them on until they teleport to me. Yeah they sometimes went down, but they did pretty well for themselves in the meantime, and they respawn quickly.

The last one is really handy if you're playing a mixed human/bots team and the bots try to brawl with a boss in a very stupid location. Just backtrack far enough and they'll port to you and you can meet the boss on better ground.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's pretty heavily telegraphed, no? He does a retching windup and freezes in one direction. I generally just strive to circle strafe him and as soon as I see him stop rotating towards someone I make sure I'm out of the way.

Yes and dodging perpendicular the moment I see it is doing nothing

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The Gate posted:

It staggers even Stormvermin, and has a huge aoe. It's not massive damage, but throwing apart an entire wave of rats is still pretty useful and gives the tanky dudes room to breathe and stab some rats and lets the murder classes go to town. You can replicate that with other classes sure, but that doesn't make it pointless, just changes what you're doing with her. Every character seems to be able to do any role from mass rat genocide, to boss slaughter, to crowd control.

A lot of things stagger storm vermin

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Digirat posted:

Yes and dodging perpendicular the moment I see it is doing nothing

Ah I don't do an actual dodge, I walk normally around him. The dodge is kind of wonky for moving large distances like that.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
how in the gently caress to you re-select your second weapon as a berserker? It only lets you re-select the first weapon.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

A lot of things stagger storm vermin

Yeah that was literally my point, good catch? Not everything Sienna has needs to be MAXDPS, the conflag staff is a CC weapon. Every class has CC weapons, it's not a bad thing that she has one too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah I don't do an actual dodge, I walk normally around him. The dodge is kind of wonky for moving large distances like that.

So how do you not get hit when he spits at you

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips for the boss in Halescourge? I can't ever dodge his acid attacks. And by dodge I mean using any kind of movement, potion of speed or otherwise, trying to not get hit by them.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Any tips for the boss in Halescourge? I can't ever dodge his acid attacks. And by dodge I mean using any kind of movement, potion of speed or otherwise, trying to not get hit by them.

Seconding this. Halescourge's map is the only one I'll throw (with the consent of all 3 other people ofc) just because gently caress That Fight on champion. Its not even worth the time. That snot wall + hard stun on top of the adds is just misery.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just side-dodge when I see the troll retching and it clears me every time.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Yo that Beam Staff is loving nuts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I would also like to know if there's literally any way to reliably dodge the snot wall

It only seems dodgeable if you are extremely far away with enough space to slip between two parts of it, because at short and medium range you can't do that and he just dark souls 2-style turntables toward you so there seems to be no physical way to actually avoid it if he targets you after telporting even slightly close to you

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Halescourge will always aim at a player so it's a best for the player he is aiming at to distance themselves from the other players Secondly blocking does reduce the damage you take from the blast. And it can be dodged even up close but the timing is really hard.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The real strat is to wait for a patch because no way is that intentional.

Still, you respawn in the arena so even if you start making GBS threads the bed as long as you can keep upright for a bit longer...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

That Gobbo posted:

Yo that Beam Staff is loving nuts.

Yeah I'd consider myself a fairly middling player and when I play Wizard with the beam staff I capture pretty much every circle at the end of the match score screen and often double the kills of the next highest player.

It's nuts. And all the Specials/Elites belong to me.

I played veteran with some goons for the first time this evening and wizard's output is just insane.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 11, 2018

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hahah I wish I could have gif'd it, I took 3 bots into veteran Halescourge

On the platforming part where you have to cross the chasm before the landslides start, I cross to the other side and watch as their character outlines jump off the cliff one after another like lemmings, trapping them hanging on the other side.

*horn sounds in the distance*

You little fucks.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The Gate posted:

Yeah that was literally my point, good catch? Not everything Sienna has needs to be MAXDPS, the conflag staff is a CC weapon. Every class has CC weapons, it's not a bad thing that she has one too.

It's a bad staff, that sucks. You can stagger storm vermin, with wind

From my rear end

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

You should melt every conflag staff you get for the crime of not being the beam staff

Even the fireball staff, a comical excuse for a staff, is better

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

The real strat is to wait for a patch because no way is that intentional.

Still, you respawn in the arena so even if you start making GBS threads the bed as long as you can keep upright for a bit longer...

I'm not so sure. I don't think a lot of aspects of this game are well designed at all. The AI director, if you can even call it that, doesn't do a good job at keeping things interesting most of the time. Either you breeze past a level or it spawns a mini-boss, several swarms and a couple specials on you within seconds of each other. Rare is when there's a consistent difficulty to the levels (and it's really good). The bosses are bad except the Warpfire mini-boss and a lesser extent the Rat Ogre, which leads me to believe it was designed by someone completely separate from the person(s) who did the other bosses. Class balance is all over the place too. They're going to spend a while nerfing down Kerillian before revamping a few of the character paths that are flat-out bad (or at least not as fun or viable in higher difficulties).

Yet for some reason, this game is greater than the sum of its parts. But what it does bad it does so really loving bad. It's not unfixable, but I don't know the developer's track record to say if that will happen or not.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You should melt every conflag staff you get for the crime of not being the beam staff

Even the fireball staff, a comical excuse for a staff, is better

A single shotgun blast from the beam staff is nearly as good as full power conf. blast. Plus it actually kills stuff.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

me and my friends just got this and after a mere 2 hours of random crashes and fixing things we got it to work and got the living poo poo kicked out of us about 9 times in a row before beating 2-1

i'm getting the hang of defensive fighting but I feel like the difficulty could use a tweak, the AI director (if there is one) is just an angry dumbass even at level 1 on recruit

my friend was trying it out for the first time on his own and got a bile troll immediately outside the start of level 1 twice in a row and its very happy to be like "you're all one hit from death? nope theres no potions, have a hellfiend in an enclosed space"

kinda reminds me of how left 4 dead 1 had a pretty perfect AI director imo, it would let you breath and back off or come on hard if you were kitted out and full on health, and try to give you basically the most thrilling games
then by l4d2 it was just going "DIE DIE DIE! another tank! another tank! all special infected all the time! youre teammates are all down? gently caress you, have a horde and every special infected at once!"

e: looking back I think we only really won the one we did because of RNG, just a single miniboss and the final phase didnt really have anything tougher than stormvermin and those plaguemonk dudes (gently caress those plaguemonk dudes, non staggering assholes)

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 11, 2018

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

your problem is you seem scared of the rats when they should be scared of you

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

your problem is you seem scared of the rats when they should be scared of you

This really is the best advice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is why I found Haelscoruge easier then Spinemanglr. With the later there is not much room for error because if you died from his really hard hitting attacks you don't respawn in the arena.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

rats are the least of our problems

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A single shotgun blast from the beam staff is nearly as good as full power conf. blast. Plus it actually kills stuff.

The beamstaff is objectively the best staff and it has been for the entire length of Vermintide 1 and probably still will be in Vermintide 2

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

haldolium posted:

The Troll and the Chaos Spawn are really the worst. But then again, it really depends on where they spawn. If you have enough room to dodge, aka a somewhat open area, both are managble.

I agree however that especially the range of the vomit is a bit too much.

I still for the life of me cannot figure out the timing to dodge a Spawn's tentacle grab - the one that makes him munch you for health

vvv I don't really mind the troll regen cuz people should be wailing on the bosses but the Spawn one is bullshit

Skypie fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 11, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Both the Troll and the Spawn need to not have health regen and they'd be perfectly fine. Even with the unfun disables left in they'd be reasonable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the chaos spawn is genuine horseshit and i don't actually know who remotely thought it was good design to make it the way it is. an unblockable big attack with weird hitboxes that can only be stopped by a very small handful of things that restores a giant damage sponge's health by a pretty significant chunk?

nice, push that through

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

the chaos spawn is genuine horseshit and i don't actually know who remotely thought it was good design to make it the way it is. an unblockable big attack with weird hitboxes that can only be stopped by a very small handful of things that restores a giant damage sponge's health by a pretty significant chunk?

nice, push that through

chaos spawn sucks

shittiest boss

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got my first red item

Shame it's a Fireball Staff :v:

Also, for the Chaos Spawn, you can dodge his grab if you dodge backwards, it's a slow grab and it doesn't have that much range. It has a wide hitbox though, so don't try to dodge to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Alternative take: Chaos Spawn is the most fun boss to fight and I wish the other bosses had grapples and wide sweep attacks

Ogre needs to be able to chuck enemies at you, as well