Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Garrand posted:

After giving up my raw survival run and started modding I just grabbed a mod that gave me back fast travel and quick saving. I mean, I could live without fast travel but I don't think the areas and combat are interesting enough to trek through multiple times but that quicksave thing is loving mandatory. gently caress having to find a bed to save.

I'm looking for the same. I like turning everyone into my personal army and just not focusing on combat at all myself, but of the 3 mods I've tried so far none have really worked right.

There's a very good fast travel mod for survival which enables fast travel... but only between settlements that you have a trade route to. So there's a benefit to setting those up, and it's still difficult when going into new territory, but once you set up a new base you can travel freely and still take care of Sanctuary sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You know what I wish was in Fallout 4?

Ballistic Fists. Those were sweet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nckdictator posted:

Replaying 4 with mods for the first time and for all my complaints about the game I really think the “escape from Vault 111” sequence is really well done in setting up how utterly alien the world must seem to the SS.

Of course this all goes out the window a few minutes later when you go to Lexington.
kind of goes out the window when you see the cryolator on the way out of the vault and your character passes comment on it

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

2house2fly posted:

kind of goes out the window when you see the cryolator on the way out of the vault and your character passes comment on it

The male PC is ex-military, so it kinda makes sense for him to say "oooooh sweet gun, I want it!"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gynovore posted:

The male PC is ex-military, so it kinda makes sense for him to say "oooooh sweet gun, I want it!"

Fem-SeS is a lawyer though and I don't think there's any non-hardass ways to approach some dialogue without either being sarcastic or dismissive.

Like when Sturges tells you about the power armour on the roof you choices are like "You are all going to die" or "Power armour? bad rear end! *guitar solo*"

I'd like an option where the PC has no idea about power armours or miniguns because she's a level 2 lawyer but she'll have a look and try to work something out.

Katt fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 12, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'd like a game that didn't suck too, but here we are

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't decide whether Fallout 4 or Skyrim is worse, but they are both depressingly bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 4 is probably worse because it completely fucks with Player characterization, which is pretty much a non factor in Elder Scrolls games.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Katt posted:

Fem-SeS is a lawyer though and I don't think there's any non-hardass ways to approach some dialogue without either being sarcastic or dismissive.

Like when Sturges tells you about the power armour on the roof you choices are like "You are all going to die" or "Power armour? bad rear end! *guitar solo*"

I'd like an option where the PC has no idea about power armours or miniguns because she's a level 2 lawyer but she'll have a look and try to work something out.

I've always just pretended that John & Jane Fallout both were in the same military unit when they met. John signed on for another term and Jane got out and used the Fallout equivalent of the GI bill to go to law school.
Instead of, you know, having a playable woman in Fallout 4 being an afterthought like it feels most of the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's so epic that they don't let you choose your gender until after the intro, which is narrated by the male player character

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It's so epic that they don't let you choose your gender until after the intro, which is narrated by the male player character

They could have avoided this by having Perlman do it again

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Getting him as the newsman was legit pretty cool though, but yeah the set characters kind of blow and Nora in particular feels half assed. Even by Bethesda standards. It's such a wasted premise, having real dialogue options for varied characterisation with the prewar solider and civilian could have been so cool. Like being able to imply you were a shady as gently caress lawyer or a dissident would have been rad as gently caress. Just play the game as lady Saul Goodman. Or you could go full jingo breathing probably would join the Enclave for Nate. Or have him be jaded and broken.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Getting him as the newsman was legit pretty cool though, but yeah the set characters kind of blow and Nora in particular feels half assed. Even by Bethesda standards. It's such a wasted premise, having real dialogue options for varied characterisation with the prewar solider and civilian could have been so cool. Like being able to imply you were a shady as gently caress lawyer or a dissident would have been rad as gently caress. Just play the game as lady Saul Goodman. Or you could go full jingo breathing probably would join the Enclave for Nate. Or have him be jaded and broken.

Hell, the Brotherhood of Steel was founded by army deserters. You could (in a bit of a contrived coincidence, but when has that stopped Bethesda?) have met one of the founders.

"Roger Maxson? I know that jackass. Never returned my Tijuana bibles."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

corn in the bible posted:

I can't decide whether Fallout 4 or Skyrim is worse, but they are both depressingly bad.

Nah they're both pretty alright and noticeably better than the game each is a direct sequel to (Oblvion, Fallout 3) but markedly worse than the game before that which is the best in the series (Morrowind, Fallout 2).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

Nah they're both pretty alright and noticeably better than the game each is a direct sequel to (Oblvion, Fallout 3) but markedly worse than the game before that which is the best in the series (Morrowind, Fallout 2).

Yeah definitely this

Fallout 4 wins points simply by virtue of the fact that the shooting is less assy than 3/NV, though NV is obviously much better written

Oblivion is one of the ugliest, dumbest games ever made and people who like it better than Skyrim are weird

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was talking to my friend about New Vegas last week and started replaying the game. It's incredibly how well I can remember so much from start to finish. I can name almost every major character from Goodsprings to Freeside after not playing for 6 months, and remember their motivations and connections to the other characters. Even for parts I don't remember as well because I didn't do them as often (dealing with the other factions in the buildup to the ending), I still remember how all the story beats go through the ending. Same for all the DLCs.

Fallout 3 and 4 just don't give me that same level of caring. I have no way to actually suspend disbelief and put my brain in the world to understand how it's all connected. No character from them is quite as intimidating with their voice alone as Jean-Baptiste Cutting when you try to ask him for more info on Cass in "Birds of a Feather".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing in fallout 4 is as good as the republic of Dave, qed

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

"Ma'am I have some components for you"

Ada drops bags of concrete into my inventory :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also what we really need is a West Coast sequel on the new engine, so we can see how much the NCR has advanced by 2300. We hear a lot about how they use trains and it's certain that they have vehicles for transport, but we never see anything actually moving except Vertibirds.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

"Ma'am I have some components for you"

Ada drops bags of concrete into my inventory :v:

Concrete is an excellent floor component. Also wall component, if you have that DLC and want walls at thicknesses other than "wafer-thin".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Glazius posted:

Concrete is an excellent floor component. Also wall component, if you have that DLC and want walls at thicknesses other than "wafer-thin".

Right but it's also readily available. Dirt cheap and very heavy. My carry capacity is about 195 of which 181 is weapons, ammo and supplies even before I set out from my "base"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nckdictator posted:

Replaying 4 with mods for the first time and for all my complaints about the game I really think the “escape from Vault 111” sequence is really well done in setting up how utterly alien the world must seem to the SS.

Of course this all goes out the window a few minutes later when you go to Lexington.

That initial sequence was probably built as a tech demo first, so it's got polish.

The rest of the game has half-assery at best. Quarter-assery mostly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Katt posted:

Right but it's also readily available. Dirt cheap and very heavy. My carry capacity is about 195 of which 181 is weapons, ammo and supplies even before I set out from my "base"

What the hell are you carrying on an excursion?

I'm currently using Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded as my home base and changing my loadout depending on the mission, and returning every night to sleep and eat because roleplaying like that helps drag the game out and encourage me to do side quests. I tend to be at 120 pounds or so, which provides plenty of loot room (especially with a backpack to bump me up to 225 pounds max).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chitoryu12 posted:

Also what we really need is a West Coast sequel on the new engine, so we can see how much the NCR has advanced by 2300. We hear a lot about how they use trains and it's certain that they have vehicles for transport, but we never see anything actually moving except Vertibirds.

We'll get monorails but they're all npc head powered. Fallout 4 still has a similar problem with moving platforms, which you can see with the intro to far harbor and Nuka world. If you stand still during these sequences the camera appears to drift because the "floor" is actually moving beneath you. Your sight and position remain the same while everything else moves.

This is a problem that shouldn't exist, but it does because the creation engine is still just gamebryo at its heart.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

What the hell are you carrying on an excursion?

I'm currently using Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded as my home base and changing my loadout depending on the mission, and returning every night to sleep and eat because roleplaying like that helps drag the game out and encourage me to do side quests. I tend to be at 120 pounds or so, which provides plenty of loot room (especially with a backpack to bump me up to 225 pounds max).

Hazmat suit
Combat rifle (1000 rounds)
Gauss Rifle (100 rounds)
shotgun (100 rounds)
30 frag grenades
10 molotov cocktails
5 bottlecap mines
10 plasma grenades
10 plasma mines
3 nuke mines
20 purified water
5 nuka-cola quantum
10 human meat
30 stimpacks
20 psychoubuff/med-x/grape mentats/jet
10 addictol/antibiotics
5 radaway/rad-x

ish'

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poo poo and here I am waddling around with no less than 800 units of guns and ammo at any one time. Even if I narrow my gun and armor selection to fit on one inventory screen, the bullets...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Weight management is annoying as gently caress in this and every game. Turn it off and don't look back.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

We'll get monorails but they're all npc head powered. Fallout 4 still has a similar problem with moving platforms, which you can see with the intro to far harbor and Nuka world. If you stand still during these sequences the camera appears to drift because the "floor" is actually moving beneath you. Your sight and position remain the same while everything else moves.

This is a problem that shouldn't exist, but it does because the creation engine is still just gamebryo at its heart.

hopefully they will make a new loving engine soon so we don't have to deal with this crap

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I admire Bethesda's ability to design engines that turn mundane tasks like having an object move into herculean efforts requiring convoluted workarounds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Katt posted:

Hazmat suit
Combat rifle (1000 rounds)
Gauss Rifle (100 rounds)
shotgun (100 rounds)
30 frag grenades
10 molotov cocktails
5 bottlecap mines
10 plasma grenades
10 plasma mines
3 nuke mines
20 purified water
5 nuka-cola quantum
10 human meat
30 stimpacks
20 psychoubuff/med-x/grape mentats/jet
10 addictol/antibiotics
5 radaway/rad-x

ish'

Ridiculous ammo amounts aside why would you carry that much purified water, there's literally a water source every like fifty feet

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Just finished Mechanist lair with dual minigun Ada with face laser that melted elite assaultrons in one shot.

Going back to Synth Curie as companion is going to take some getting used to.

Wolfsheim posted:

Ridiculous ammo amounts aside why would you carry that much purified water, there's literally a water source every like fifty feet

I use an automatic combat rifle and it eats a lot of ammo. Using chems drains purified water quickly. As many as 5-6 bottles from one set of chems.

I'm going to drop the Gauss rifle completely and instead go with full auto combat rifle, 10 mm pistol and shotgun.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Internet Kraken posted:

I admire Bethesda's ability to design engines that turn mundane tasks like having an object move into herculean efforts requiring convoluted workarounds.

Well at least it keeps the idiotic jumping puzzles to a minimum!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Bad news for anyone anticipating the Fallout 3-> 4 conversion mod:

According to their facebook page they've decided to halt the mod indefinitely. Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

What decision?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

JawKnee posted:

What decision?

Basically both mods were planning on using sound files from the original games so they wouldn't have to replicate the VA, and Bethesda told them that's not an option.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is this is a surprise

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bad news for anyone anticipating the Fallout 3-> 4 conversion mod:

According to their facebook page they've decided to halt the mod indefinitely. Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

The guy's weird capitalization fetish aside, lol, what? Unless they were planning to include the audio files in their installer, there's no way they'd be culpable for any piracy of F3. Needing to legitimately own the assets of both F3 and FNV to use Tale of Two Wastelands worked then, why can't it work now for Fallout 4? Even with the changes in how assets are packaged, there's no reason you can't, say, provide a set of instructions for the end-user to repack their F3 audio BSA into a BA2 - or have an automated process in their mod installer which does that thing itself.

E: I'm not a lawyer but being held liable for some other nerds pirating game assets to use your freely available modification which specifically requires one to legally own the assets in question sounds pretty thin as legal cases go.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 12, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait, what about scripted extraction if you own the original.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah it's weird, since I know the F4NV guys talked specifically about how the game would require a verified steam install of New Vegas to run the extractor, and obviously Tale of Two Wastelands pulled everything from Fallout 3 into New Vegas without issue. :shrug:

For the record, here's the full statement from the F4NV team:

quote:

Hey F4NV fans and supporters, and welcome to another weekly devlog.

For this week, in light of issues that have arisen within our corner of the Fallout 4 modding community, we have a single fairly massive change in our project's planning to discuss.

As many of you likely know, our sister project, Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland, has indefinitely halted development on their mod. This follows discussions with Bethesda that indicated that the method both our project and theirs were intending to use to extract and port the audio from Fallout: New Vegas/Fallout 3 was not allowed.

We've been aware of this issue for a couple of weeks, and have spent the time exploring options for Fallout 4: New Vegas. After long internal discussion and consultations with intellectual property lawyers, we have finally come to a conclusion.

F4NV's development will go on.

However, changes in our development plans will be needed for us to accomplish our goal of a fully realized remake of Fallout: New Vegas.

Core to this is the newest portion of our development team, the Voice Acting department. Team F4NV had initially considered setting up a voice team during its early days, and a study on the requirements and feasibility of this was discussed in-depth, factoring the amount of acting needed per-character, number of characters voiced by how many voice actors, and a number of other key factors. At the time, operating with the understanding that we were able to use the original New Vegas audio, we deemed a voice acting project to be far too much work, for far too little reward.

However, with the shift in our priorities, we now are able to draw upon this previous detailed examination to work out the best possible approach for Team F4NV to create a high-quality, entertaining mod.

Central to that is the way voice acting will be managed within Team F4NV. Unlike other teams such as the Level Design or Asset Creation teams, our Voice Acting team will be operating autonomously, working with voice actors on roles suited to their unique voice. As a result, their work will not be bound to the same milestone structure as the rest of the team. This means that often the VA team will be working on content totally different from that which the rest of the team is focusing their efforts on, but we've modified our release roadmap planning system to compensate for that.

What this means to anybody who downloads any releases of F4NV, ultimately, is that our release schedule won't be impacted at all by the addition of new voice acting. This, of course, comes with a minor catch.

Due to the way that the Voice Acting Team will be operating separately from the core project team, this means that their work will be included as it is ready. While this will mean that certain parts of the game will be fully voiced far ahead of schedule, other areas may end up lagging behind. As a result, F4NV releases may end up going out without voiceover recorded for certain characters, depending on where our VA Team stands at any given point in time. While disappointing, we feel that this approach best allows us to keep the project on-track, while also allowing us to maintain a high standard of quality within the project.

While this may seem discouraging, thanks to the way F4NV has set itself up internally, this shift has taken little to no effort on the part of the team, and development has continued on at a steady pace without issue.

We will be making an announcement in the immediate future when all of the infrastructure is in place for us to accept voice acting applicants, so those of you who are interested, watch this space in the meantime!

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support. While our journey to a finished mod has gotten a little more complicated, between the fantastically skilled people in F4NV, and the strong wind of our wonderful community's support at our backs, we can overcome this bump in the road.

Keep an eye out for further updates from Team F4NV, and until next time, Stay Classy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Basically both mods were planning on using sound files from the original games so they wouldn't have to replicate the VA, and Bethesda told them that's not an option.

oic

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

Upside: this will hopefully fix those janky-rear end moments in NV VA

wonder if Bethesda will get all uptight about them copying dialogue verbatim too