Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm looking to deploy a FreePBX instance running on CentOS to give it a shakedown. If we push forward with deploying it then we will most likely add some commercial modules like the endpoint manager at the very least.

What softphones do people use with this? Interested in the iOS clients that support CallKit. Is this Bria territory?

Hooray!

The sky is the limit with softphones. I haven't found a perfect one yet but you're definitely not short of options. There's even phone apps you can use.
I use zoiper as my baseline. I know it works, not great but it'll get the job done. If it can't do what zoiper does, then it's probably garbage.
Even if it can it's probably still garbage but at least it will work.
Edit: Microsip looks alright (and runs on PJSIP) but I never got a chance to test it out. I think RingCentral would be worth a try but I'm not sure if you want to pay for that or not.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I keep a bottle of Macallan 18 year around for special occasions. New jobs, significant promotions, etc. Been a good investment so far.

I hear this is good for special occasions http://www.theliquorbarn.com/dalmore-40-year-old-750ml/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My colleague saw me having a beer and turned off all my admin accounts :laffo:

I thought all Canucks carried whiskey in a flask in their jean jackets.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jaegerx posted:

I thought all Canucks carried whiskey in a flask in their jean jackets.

It's actually maple syrup.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm looking to deploy a FreePBX instance running on CentOS to give it a shakedown. If we push forward with deploying it then we will most likely add some commercial modules like the endpoint manager at the very least.

What softphones do people use with this? Interested in the iOS clients that support CallKit. Is this Bria territory?

If you're giving it dedicated hardware or a dedicated VM rather than trying to put it on the same machine as something else, save yourself a lot of trouble and just use the FreePBX Distro. It's CentOS 7 with the FreePBX RPM repositories set up, common packages preinstalled, and basically as close as possible to ready to go out of the box. It'll have a few commercial modules preinstalled which won't work without licensing, but it's easy to uninstall them and they identify themselves clearly as commercial in the module manager. If you "activate" your installation you get a light version of the System Admin module (very useful) and the Extension Routes module (not so useful) for free. The only other commercial module we use is the Endpoint Manager. It's $150 and will save you $150 worth of time very quickly if you have more than a dozen or so hardphones. The old open source endpoint manager doesn't really work reliably on FPBX 14+

As far as mobile softphones go I've been impressed by Grandstream's Wave. It's free, has no ads, supports all major functionality, and can be provisioned with a QR code.

PC softphones, I've never actually been satisfied with any of them. I've been trying for years to switch to softphone only operation but I always end up back on a standard desktop phone.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I have several Hill Farmstead beers in my fridge at home from last Labor Day that I cannot think of a good enough special occasion to open. I had at least two good excuses at the end of baseball season but it slipped my mind.

EDIT: If the Olympic Men's Curling final didn't finish at 4AM that would have been perfect for one.

"Holy Tuesday" should be enough of a special occasion. What are you waiting for?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Shoot, I have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue that I've been working on for 6 years and that's about as fancy as this boy's tastes get.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

If you're giving it dedicated hardware or a dedicated VM rather than trying to put it on the same machine as something else, save yourself a lot of trouble and just use the FreePBX Distro. It's CentOS 7 with the FreePBX RPM repositories set up, common packages preinstalled, and basically as close as possible to ready to go out of the box. It'll have a few commercial modules preinstalled which won't work without licensing, but it's easy to uninstall them and they identify themselves clearly as commercial in the module manager. If you "activate" your installation you get a light version of the System Admin module (very useful) and the Extension Routes module (not so useful) for free. The only other commercial module we use is the Endpoint Manager. It's $150 and will save you $150 worth of time very quickly if you have more than a dozen or so hardphones. The old open source endpoint manager doesn't really work reliably on FPBX 14+

As far as mobile softphones go I've been impressed by Grandstream's Wave. It's free, has no ads, supports all major functionality, and can be provisioned with a QR code.

PC softphones, I've never actually been satisfied with any of them. I've been trying for years to switch to softphone only operation but I always end up back on a standard desktop phone.

Yeah I just saw the wiki page that basically says "nope" to commercial modules if you aren't running the distro on v14. I'll need to deploy it into Hyper-V and then try and repackage it to work on Azure which is where this is likely to end up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Need a few more promotions before that one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I bet it tastes like poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you truly have 'gently caress you' money to the point that you wouldn't notice that number disappearing from your bank account, I doubt you'd be able to enjoy a 7 grand bottle of whisky with the constant need to convince yourself it was worth the purchase.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s Friday afternoon and our connection to the internet has been down for two hours. Our internal network is up, but the system I do all of my work on is hosted by an external provider. Look at all this work I’m not doing, and getting paid for it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless you truly have 'gently caress you' money to the point that you wouldn't notice that number disappearing from your bank account, I doubt you'd be able to enjoy a 7 grand bottle of whisky with the constant need to convince yourself it was worth the purchase.

I had a coworker that has about 200k worth of whiskey in his basement.

He usually buys 3 bottles though. First one for his collection, the second one is for drinking and the 3rd is sold when the price for one bottle is as high as the original value of all 3 combined.

He’s been doing this for several decades and has an insane collection.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

heck yeah working on a saturday rules

disruptive maintenance rules

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Worked a few hours yesterday and nearly a full day today getting a train power system ready for customer approval tomorrow.

Yay for double time and working with good people making working a weekend allright.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I worked 4 hours today and made $480. Contacting is fantastic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm unemployed for a week.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also once I'm entirely done (gave 2 weeks notice) I'll actually be able to share what I did! Because it's a bit of an unusual company and I never revealed much about it

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
One more test and I'll have my Office 365 MCSA, the easiest one of them all. Definitely burned myself out and struggling with imposter syndrome, especially when I look at all the cool security stuff and Python and Powershell I still have to brush up on.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

NOW UNEMPLOYED CLAM DOWN posted:

Also once I'm entirely done (gave 2 weeks notice) I'll actually be able to share what I did! Because it's a bit of an unusual company and I never revealed much about it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god that's right I forgot

So I worked for the company that made this, which you've likely heard of:

and this, which you probably haven't heard of:

and these are launching this year, which you probably haven't heard of:

and they did other poo poo like electronic systems, etc, for Canada's navy stuff like this:

and a huge range of other geospatial imagery products.

There was a big merger last year with a lot of changing roles, leadership, structure, culture, etc, and it was going to stifle my career and future potential. So I jumped on this amazing opportunity for a provincial crown corporation (do you have those in the US? They're private companies where the sole shareholder is the government) so it's a big gain for me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

There was a big merger last year with a lot of changing roles, leadership, structure, culture, etc, and it was going to stifle my career and future potential. So I jumped on this amazing opportunity for a provincial crown corporation (do you have those in the US? They're private companies where the sole shareholder is the government) so it's a big gain for me.

I choose to believe you now work for god's company SASKTEL until proven otherwise

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I choose to believe you now work for god's company SASKTEL until proven otherwise

BC ;) I would rather choke on my own poo poo than live in the prairies

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I was sure he worked security for the maple syrup industry

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

same

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jaegerx posted:

I was sure he worked security for the maple syrup syndicate

Ftfy

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I jumped on this amazing opportunity for a provincial crown corporation (do you have those in the US? They're private companies where the sole shareholder is the government)
The Trump Organization :homebrew:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I jumped on this amazing opportunity for a provincial crown corporation (do you have those in the US? They're private companies where the sole shareholder is the government) so it's a big gain for me.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are the closest things I can think of for the US Federal government.

There are a number of tribal government owned companies too.

And I think some municipalities own their utilities, but that’s different than a real corporation.

Aunt Beth posted:

The Trump Organization :homebrew:

That too

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I work for a public pension company that's private, but chartered through law. And a good portion of the board of directors are appointed by the executive branch in the state.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry some of us like real houses for our mortgage dollars :P To be fair, I'm in northern Ontario, and it blows rear end here, but, hey. Wife's job pays well enough, and I'll cope with my lovely IT duties.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My boss is starting a cryptocurrency mining thing, using our datacenter resources.

blockchains

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My boss is starting a cryptocurrency mining thing, using our datacenter resources.

blockchains
Seems like the kind of thing to casually bring up to his boss, since I'm sure he already got approval it's totally fine to talk about it in conversation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are the closest things I can think of for the US Federal government.

There are a number of tribal government owned companies too.

And I think some municipalities own their utilities, but that’s different than a real corporation.

That too

Doesn't Amtrak belong on the list as well?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Seems like the kind of thing to casually bring up to his boss, since I'm sure he already got approval it's totally fine to talk about it in conversation.

I'm sorry, when I say my boss, I mean the owner of the company.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'm sorry, when I say my boss, I mean the owner of the company.

:drat:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh boy that will be good as it starts to consume more of his life

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Time to start looking for a new job and eject before he drives the company into the ground and/or suggests paying salary in buttcoin.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
your boss is making a big play to prospect for gold in 1855 California

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This is not exactly public info.

I stumbled across some docs in a folder just sitting out there on our windows server. Looking further into it he wants to lease out resources to miners, not be the miner.

For some reason, he asked me to get a Texas-area phone number and set up an IVR and conference room attached to that number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope your security is good. This is a market that attracts grifters and thieves, and you're the fresh meat.