Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this rules lmao

the benefit to playing with goons is that as an elfplayer myself, i now have two goon witnesses from yesterday where i was sole survivor of a double-sided swarm and managed to clear the board swingin' and then revive two of three dead friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a list of all available weapons to each character some where?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Digirat posted:

There’s no gore effects on any specials now and it makes me sad

It doesn't need to be much. Just let me, I don't know, lop his drat head off.

After being taken for a swirlie a few times by his bloated rear end it's anticlimactic when you finally catch him and he just poofs.

Because I'm so new to the game I wasn't even sure if he actually died a few times until I started to pay attention to the kill ticker in the corner of the screen or listening to the dialog exchange between the heroes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

They don't want everyone to have it, though. Handmaiden can do it, Ironbreaker can kind of do it if he burns his ult.

I think you're arguing both sides of a position now. I'm not needed here.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a bit disappointing that harder missions don't give better rewards in any capacity, was it like that in vermintide 1 too?

You could do the long rear end skittergate mission, get through 4 or 5 boss fights, somehow carry 2 grimoires though to the end from the start, deal with the bugs throughout the mission and 30 to 45 minutes later you'll get the same exp/chest reward as running against the grain for the hundredth time in 15 minutes.

Would be nice if there was a exp bonus for harder missions or special crates that have a higher chance for heroic deeds.

How was patch support for vermintide 1 after launch? was it clear after awhile they were working on the sequel instead?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 12, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How was patch support for vermintide 1 after launch? was it clear after awhile they were working on the sequel instead?

there was an expansion so definitely after launch it was being kept up real well in anticipation of the new content

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm having a hard time using anything but the Falchion with the witch hunter. It clears groups well and it seems to never bounce.

Close second is the rapier. Dem headshots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whatever you do, do not read the negative reviews for this game on steam. So many people are so upset because they can't blast through a level with bots, or because getting hooked by a hookrat "forces you out of gameplay". :psyduck:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so for melee headshots, if my cursor is pointed at a head when i swing, it should connect, right? or if a rat's head is positioned within the sweep on a weapon strike, will it snag that headshot? I feel like the weapon animations are often disconnected from the result.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

vermintide 1 came out in 2015 and received several free dlc updates over its lifetime as well as 3 paid dlcs of a couple maps and new weapons each (technically 4 but the last one was announced as a preorder bonus for vermintide 2 so i think very few people bought it on its own).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DeathSandwich posted:

The more I played Bounty Hunter last night, the more I'm convinced it's up next on the nerfing block. The repeater crossbow plus his passive free crits just wreck any boss you run into. Save your active for when a chaos spawn grabs a teammate and unload many crossbow bolts in it's face repeatedly otherwise.

It is pretty fun to get to the end of the map and see you have more boss damage done than everyone else combined though.

BH is unlike the other two ranged classes that have been nerfed heavily because he requires melee to use him correctly. A well played BH will end up with a substantial number of melee kills, which you can't say for any other ranged class in the game at level 15. Even Bardin stops caring about melee once he hits 15 and can get the talent that makes his survivalist ammo drops actually matter.

I think you might see the Volley Bow nerfed (which currently inordinately benefits from Blessed Shots) but I'd be mildly surprised if BH gets the same smackdown as Waystalker and Huntsman did.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so for melee headshots, if my cursor is pointed at a head when i swing, it should connect, right? or if a rat's head is positioned within the sweep on a weapon strike, will it snag that headshot? I feel like the weapon animations are often disconnected from the result.

naw, depending on the weapon the way it swings is what determines whether or not it hits the head. some swings can feel more off than others. the only way to really get a feel for it (besides killing rats) is to take a few swings at the practice dummies in the courtyard to learn where the weapon arcs/stabs land.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I dunno man, when I practice the rapier on the dummy at the hub castle if that dummies head is bobbing from a previous strike I need to be pretty accurate with my timing to poke it again while it's in motion. Same thing when I'm firing my brace of pistols at it. Seems like the hitbox is exactly where the head is, I don't know if this is shaped different with Skaven than with humans but it kind of seems like it so maybe that contributes to that snagging headshot feel?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ it was less a "how small is the head" question than a "where does a weapon's broader strike land wrt headshots" question. Rapier and pistols SHOULD have a precise/tiny aimpoint.

Cowcaster posted:

naw, depending on the weapon the way it swings is what determines whether or not it hits the head. some swings can feel more off than others. the only way to really get a feel for it (besides killing rats) is to take a few swings at the practice dummies in the courtyard to learn where the weapon arcs/stabs land.

Cool thanks for the clarification. And yeah, it took me a couple games but i'm feeling way more comfortable stabbin and movin now. much more efficient.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a bit disappointing that harder missions don't give better rewards in any capacity, was it like that in vermintide 1 too?

You could do the long rear end skittergate mission, get through 4 or 5 boss fights, somehow carry 2 grimoires though to the end from the start, deal with the bugs throughout the mission and 30 to 45 minutes later you'll get the same exp/chest reward as running against the grain for the hundredth time in 15 minutes.

Would be nice if there was a exp bonus for harder missions or special crates that have a higher chance for heroic deeds.

It was extremely good overall and the point where fatshark weirdly disappeared actually happened when they were making the console versions, not vermintide 2, which was in between drachenfels and karak azgaraz. it’s safe to say that karak azgaraz, stromdorf and death on the reik were all made during development of the sequel and all of those are awesome, so it’s safe to expect support for awhile. although I expect they crunched a lot to get this release out when they did and it’s still really buggy since they never open beta tested half of the maps, so I would not expect actual content additions for some time

To answer your first question I’m not entirely sure it’s intended for missions to vary in difficulty as wildly as they do, but they never did a thing to make Dungeons any less of a miserable kick in the crotch so maybe it is

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What do y'all think of Ironbreaker with Hammer + Shield, vs. Axe + Shield?

I've been using Axe + Shield exclusively (because I haven't found a good Hammer + Shield), but I have difficulty dealing with crowds unless I switch to the Drakegun -- which results in getting beat up if the enemies are right on top of me. Will the hammer's wide swing let me push back groups?

Right now, with Axe + Shield, I tend to tank up and try to CC with pushes while my team cleans up. I don't do a lot of damage. Maybe this is already a decent strategy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What do y'all think of Ironbreaker with Hammer + Shield, vs. Axe + Shield?

I've been using Axe + Shield exclusively (because I haven't found a good Hammer + Shield), but I have difficulty dealing with crowds unless I switch to the Drakegun -- which results in getting beat up if the enemies are right on top of me. Will the hammer's wide swing let me push back groups?

Right now, with Axe + Shield, I tend to tank up and try to CC with pushes while my team cleans up. I don't do a lot of damage. Maybe this is already a decent strategy.

Until recently I was Hammer + shield all the way but have been loving the Axe + shield. It's much easier dealing with armored units with the axe than it is the hammer. It's got a different attack pattern but the light attacks are horizontal so it's still okay at CC. I think when I go up in difficulty and have to start thinking more fulltime about tanking I'll be switching back to hammer, but for now I'm having a great time with the axe.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's irony somewhere in the fact the only two vermintide 1 maps i managed to complete on cataclysm were dungeons and summoner's peak

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Vampire count, tomb king, lizardman, and Brettonian as the B team for next expansion plz

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A vampire count, tomb king, lizardman and a Brettonian walk into a Ubersreik tavern...

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Digirat posted:

It was extremely good overall and the point where fatshark weirdly disappeared actually happened when they were making the console versions, not vermintide 2, which was in between drachenfels and karak azgaraz. it’s safe to say that karak azgaraz, stromdorf and death on the reik were all made during development of the sequel and all of those are awesome, so it’s safe to expect support for awhile. although I expect they crunched a lot to get this release out when they did and it’s still really buggy since they never open beta tested half of the maps, so I would not expect actual content additions for some time

To answer your first question I’m not entirely sure it’s intended for missions to vary in difficulty as wildly as they do, but they never did a thing to make Dungeons any less of a miserable kick in the crotch so maybe it is

The roadmap they released basically said they plan to spend the rest of March dealing with bugs and balance issues, and their goal is to have mod support and dedicated servers going early April, and a 2-map dlc they're hoping to get out in April as well

So who knows, we might get to smash more rats on more newer stages next month

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i don't know much about warhammer fantasy but while stretching the rules to have humans working with dwarves and elves seems ok wouldn't the line be drawn way before two flavors of undead and barney the dinosaur

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Only if you're dead inside.

Alternatively, this is a universe where giant rats blew up the moon.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I was hoping the new game would have new characters, replacing the current elf with a dark elf that everyone hates and distrust and when they die the rest of the party would make statements of relief. Oh well.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Dark Elf is Elf

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

explosivo posted:

Whatever you do, do not read the negative reviews for this game on steam. So many people are so upset because they can't blast through a level with bots, or because getting hooked by a hookrat "forces you out of gameplay". :psyduck:

"As an oldtime gamer that has almost 30 years of gaming history behind him, i miss the old communities that took the time to help eachother out, gamers today are spoiled and self entitled, perhaps by lack of proper parenting who knows these things."

:psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cowcaster posted:

i admit i don't know much about warhammer fantasy but while stretching the rules to have humans working with dwarves and elves seems ok wouldn't the line be drawn way before two flavors of undead and barney the dinosaur

As a big nerd about the setting, it's less weird than you'd think. Everything was kind of set up so that on the edge cases, almost anyone could end up working with (or against) almost anyone.

E: Hell, dwarfs and humans working together is so common that it isn't even weird. The Empire was literally founded on being bros with dwarfs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, learning how the swings work is pretty important for some weapons. For example, Saltz's rapier goes into an infinite upper-left/lower-right diagonal slash chain if you mash it, and that got me to prefer working the left flank of a horde instead of its right.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ignite Memories posted:

The Dark Elf is Elf

The elf is a wood elf not a high elf.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
what's important is that you always shoot the elf, regardless of the flavor of elf

Cowcaster posted:

fwiw: humans and dwarves generally tend to get along really well because dwarven culture venerates sigmar as a great lawbringer, so while the dwarves have their own pantheon and priorities, everyone can agree that sigmar was cool and what he said and did was cool. it puts the Empire and the Dwarves on a pretty equal footing which is solidified by hating a lot of the same things. the dwarves and humans both think orcs are dorks and that chaos really needs a hard wedgie. the largest thing that prevents more broad cooperation between the two is geographical preferences; humans are pretty happy to go wherever, but the mountains are hard going and the dwarves aren't terribly interested in making it easier by leaving their mountainhomes. dwarves keep to themselves and they can hold one hell of a grudge but they have a lot in common with humans so they all get along pretty well.

elves are pretty much what you see in game from Kerillian. they're not outright opposed to working with humans, but they're super condescending and superior basically 24/7 even if they're usually don't sprinkle derogatory slurs in literally every loving sentence that spills out of their mouths. they don't have a lot of shared history or culture with humans but do have some shared values in thinking beastmen suck and chaos is for dumbs. unlike in tolkein, though, humans tend to respond to the whole elf bit of "oh my god how can you not know this incredibly arcane thing that i hosed up but totally didn't because i'm perfect from 1500 years ago" with "gently caress off knife ear" rather than "wow my great ancient sage plz teach this wayward soul", so while it's fairly infrequent that they work together, big things like a large scale chaos invasion will get them together.

lizardmen and the empire actually have a lot in common but they're on opposite sides of the world. the empire is fantasy Holy Roman Empire, so they're hanging out where irl germany would basically be. lizardmen are fantasy dinosaur aztecs and are all the way across the planet in irl mexico. if you were to put in a saurus or something as the ubersreik sixth the question would be more one of how the gently caress he got there than his philosophies.

undead...yeah, naw. the two kinds of undead are the long-dead tomb kings, who chiefly want people to stay off their loving lawns, and are fantasy egyptians from the same general region as the lizardmen. yeah they hate chaos and everything they also hate humans and anyone else on their lawns so it's not exactly a bond-forging thing. the other kind of undead is the vampire nobility from fantasy transylvania who are directly opposed to the ruling power structure of the Empire, and every vampire of sufficient power to matter in the context of a game like Vermintide is close enough to the grand poobah of vamps that it would go very poorly for that vamp. also there's the whole sun portion that's an issue

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 12, 2018

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
*half naked bardin leaps into a pile of rats*

*whispering* "an old ranger trick..."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The elf is a wood elf not a high elf.

Not sure what class it is that makes her look like a loving hunched over Skaven, but I kept thinking she was rat until I got used to her silhouette. I don't recognize elf unless they're tall and haughty.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Night10194 posted:

"Okri: Craftsman, a very common personal name."

"Cousin Bob"

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

AndyElusive posted:

Not sure what class it is that makes her look like a loving hunched over Skaven, but I kept thinking she was rat until I got used to her silhouette. I don't recognize elf unless they're tall and haughty.

The fur she wore on her back made it look like she was always about to be stabbed in the back by a rat

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Only possible in that particular level in that particular area of that level. Yeah melee is pretty awesome in tunnels but only a tiny fraction of the game environments are tunnels.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played a bunch last night, and came to the conclusion that I suck rear end. Played 2 games with bots and lost both, then 8 games with real people on recruit, we lost 7 of them. Somehow won the last one, and I decided to leave on a high note and went to bed.

I didn't play the first game a lot, but based on what I remember, this one seems a lot harder. I haven't read any guides or watched any walkthroughs, but in the first one I was able to wing it on the lowest difficulty and somehow manage to finish missions, whereas on this one I get my rear end kicked.

That said, things became a lot easier once I switched from the dwarf to the soldier. The longer range and wide swings of the glaive helps a lot when it comes to avoiding counterattacks. And there is something very satisfying about cutting rats in half. :D

Will play more tonight and see how it goes...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Unzip and Attack posted:

Only possible in that particular level in that particular area of that level. Yeah melee is pretty awesome in tunnels but only a tiny fraction of the game environments are tunnels.

yeah this is something people need to get their heads around quite quickly. spaces might look like tunnels to players. they almost never are to rats.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Think in the Endtimes scenario the undead were mostly on the side of the good guys. Or whatever passes for the good guys in warhams. Honestly Ill take any excuse to play as an angry skeleton smashing rats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just watched Gggmanlives's latest review and this game looks cool, visually too. How good does your computer have to be to run things on the higher settings? I have a GTX 1070, i7-6700k, and 1080p 144Hz monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

Will play more tonight and see how it goes...
Hop on Discord. Play with goons.

The game definitely seems harder, at least to start with. Recruit doesn't seem to be tuned for starting level 1 dudes with no gear, so you will get beat up starting out until you get some new gear and a few levels.